Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-9-2010, 06:37 AM   #221
remedy1502
remederpin
FFR Veteran

Default Re: College/University??

Quote:
Originally Posted by iironiic View Post
Lol, so many math and computer science majors.
I think it's because generally people in the arts are off being artsy, and engineers are very busy with being engineers and such.

Or it's because we are part of (an) online community(ies) which probably means that we like computers. I dunno.
remedy1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-9-2010, 03:11 PM   #222
RobertsonaIsBack
FFR Player

computer science sucks 8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by customstuff View Post
BUMP with our first ever Dubstep permission!!
RobertsonaIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-9-2010, 04:21 PM   #223
karatesab
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to karatesab Send a message via MSN to karatesab

Quote:
Originally Posted by remedy1502 View Post
I think it's because generally people in the arts are off being artsy, and engineers are very busy with being engineers and such.

Or it's because we are part of (an) online community(ies) which probably means that we like computers. I dunno.
Engineers are studying now to have a life later. Artsy people are having a life now to be stuck in a rut later in life. This is definitely a more engineering and computer science interest based site (in my opinion). Artsy people will have a better time on an art or roleplaying forum rather than FFR I guess.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
karatesab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-9-2010, 04:27 PM   #224
A Beautiful Mind
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertsonaIsBack View Post
computer science sucks 8)
CompSci isn't that bad, actually. My dad majored in that back when he was in college, and recommended that I get into it, too. Unfortunately, I don't think that I could ever go through with majoring in it. It just doesn't interest me enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatesab View Post
Engineers are studying now to have a life later. Artsy people are having a life now to be stuck in a rut later in life. This is definitely a more engineering and computer science interest based site (in my opinion). Artsy people will have a better time on an art or roleplaying forum rather than FFR I guess.
That's a pretty accurate way of describing it. No offense to any art majors here but, nothing irritates me more than having to hear my friend who's majoring in art history complain about a midterm she has coming up. When I could probably spend a total of thirty minutes studying for it and ace it. As opposed to the endless amounts of hours I spend studying for my courses just praying for B or better.

Last edited by A Beautiful Mind; 11-9-2010 at 04:31 PM..
A Beautiful Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-9-2010, 05:02 PM   #225
fido123
FFR Player

I suggest you don't go into Comp Sci unless you have an interest. I'm currently in a course where most people don't really have a nack for it and idk what the hell they're going to do, nor do they really try as they're just not interested. Also when you're a computer scientist you're a mathematician first and a computer guy second so that's why I never went down that road.

Also with regards to the artsi/non-artsi stuff, I agree that a lot of artsi stuff is utter bull**** and just useless to take assuming you're planning on getting a job involving whatever you took. However my best friend took history (Now he's moving to my course) and it's not something you can study for for half hour then ace like high-school lol. Artsi programs still take intelligence and smarts. I think most people are in bs courses cause their parents push them to go to University and only University so they can brag about their kids weather they know what they want to do or not. This is why there are so many useless people in Uni IMO and yet they look at College students like me like we're retarded.
fido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-9-2010, 05:11 PM   #226
bender5
The 40% Iron Chef
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 View Post
consumerism isn't required to have fun, man. I agree that saving up boatloads of money for retirement is overrated though.
Man, most of my money was spent so that everyone around me could enjoy themselves as much as possible, I never really cared about what went down, just as long as everyone was having fun.

I make some remarks on this site and a whole bunch of people take general statements as direct attacks at their insecurities.

The only person I directed a comment at was Rubix, because he's an ass, I don't dislike him because of it, it's just who he is. The arrogant attitude he has ruins people in the long run, and if a whole bunch of people feel the need to get defensive because I went out and lived a lot this year than whatever.

I don't tell people to do what I did, because it's INSANELY irresponsible, but I made it work because I put the responsibility back into ****ing around like a dumb kid.

I'm almost jealous of everyone with the opportunity to go to a good school, because mine was taken from me, so I had to make due with what I could.

and if for whatever reason people think this avatar is me, than you're all retarded, because I have a feeling you guys think I'm some little hood rat or some crap, I HATE that kind of bull****.

Last edited by bender5; 11-9-2010 at 05:13 PM..
bender5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-9-2010, 05:32 PM   #227
leonid
I am leonid
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Isn't that avatar boibomb lol

Proud member of Team No
leonid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-9-2010, 05:40 PM   #228
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

My "attitude" doesn't ruin anything.

You flipped out because I called you out on an obviously bogus financial claim, brought up some valid points about the drawbacks of working in the illegal drug industry, and discussed the merits of higher education. Your immediate response is to try to discredit all of it as useless/arrogant/easy and overinflate your abilities, which is retarded. Your statements in this thread show how much you *don't* know about how industries work. You might understand the drug industry (even if you fabricate your profits), but assuming you can handle any other job you want is retarded beyond words, jesus lmfao.

What makes you think the way you lived your life was the only way of "living"? It's complete BS. If you have fun with your lifestyle, then more power to you. But that doesn't mean others aren't "living" too, even if through different ways.

Last edited by MrRubix; 11-9-2010 at 05:51 PM..
MrRubix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-9-2010, 06:56 PM   #229
Louis8k8
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Louis8k8

Imo, don't go into comp sci unless you have some talent in it. You'll get destroyed. Way too many ppl studying comp sci and its a race on who's more innovative and can keep up with the times.

Also, I'd argue about working hard now for a better life later. Some of the IT fields man, those guys have no life. They work and live at the company for their entire life. Maybe you can say that is an ideal life but then we just have different ideals.

Arts, the most bull one is psychology or philosophy if you think a major in that alone is gonna get your somewhere in your career.

Louis8k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-9-2010, 07:42 PM   #230
leonid
I am leonid
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis8k8 View Post
Also, I'd argue about working hard now for a better life later. Some of the IT fields man, those guys have no life. They work and live at the company for their entire life. Maybe you can say that is an ideal life but then we just have different ideals.

Proud member of Team No
leonid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-9-2010, 08:27 PM   #231
fido123
FFR Player

IT people really don't have to work any more than normal people unless there's a server crash and they have to stay there until it's back up which may in EXTREME cases be like 72 hours with naps on the job but they make up for it.

Also perhaps we wouldn't "assume" you're retarded if you didn't assume we're a bunch of no-life-shut-ins along with the rest of the crap you've been spewing.
Old 11-9-2010, 08:56 PM   #232
karatesab
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to karatesab Send a message via MSN to karatesab

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Beautiful Mind View Post
That's a pretty accurate way of describing it. No offense to any art majors here but, nothing irritates me more than having to hear my friend who's majoring in art history complain about a midterm she has coming up. When I could probably spend a total of thirty minutes studying for it and ace it. As opposed to the endless amounts of hours I spend studying for my courses just praying for B or better.
Same here. It is ridiculous the amount of complaining the people on my floor do about their art projects when they apparently have time to go out on Thursday night until 2:00 AM and have Fridays off when I am cooped up in my room all night studying nonstop and have three classes on Friday. I always want to shove my calculus book at them and tell them to stuff it. :P

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
karatesab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-9-2010, 09:07 PM   #233
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Dalhousie, D.D.S. (Doctor of Dental Surgery). Previously did a B.Sc in Neuroscience and Biochemistry/Molecular Biology.

Looks like I'm repping a different field than most here.

Last edited by Reach; 11-9-2010 at 09:10 PM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:32 AM   #234
insanefreddy926
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to insanefreddy926

Freshman at UMass Amherst. Majoring in Astronomy. wewt.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:34 AM   #235
Zlyice
Slightly unpronounceable
Lead Difficulty Consultant
Difficulty ConsultantFFR Veteran

Sophomore at Ithaca College with a double major in psychology and journalism with minors in neuroscience and Spanish. I'm either far more ambitious than I think I am, or a complete masochist. (I'm betting on the latter.) After this I'm hoping to go for a PhD in cognitive neuropsychology.
Zlyice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:00 AM   #236
bender5
The 40% Iron Chef
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRubix View Post
My "attitude" doesn't ruin anything.

You flipped out because I called you out on an obviously bogus financial claim, brought up some valid points about the drawbacks of working in the illegal drug industry, and discussed the merits of higher education. Your immediate response is to try to discredit all of it as useless/arrogant/easy and overinflate your abilities, which is retarded. Your statements in this thread show how much you *don't* know about how industries work. You might understand the drug industry (even if you fabricate your profits), but assuming you can handle any other job you want is retarded beyond words, jesus lmfao.

What makes you think the way you lived your life was the only way of "living"? It's complete BS. If you have fun with your lifestyle, then more power to you. But that doesn't mean others aren't "living" too, even if through different ways.
The thing that astounds me though is the fact that nothing I said is fabricated, nothing was meant to impress anyone. Which is why I'm calling you an asshole, because you continue to try to belittle me when obviously there's no merit for it.

You act as though I'm uneducated because over an internet conversation, which is public record, that I refuse to discuss intimate details of very illegal activity.

I made a modest estimate of personal cash flow dating back to about March of this year, and because it is such an obscene amount, no one will ever believe it, and I'm not asking you to, because if you don't than whatever, I've got nothing to try to prove, ever.

I don't give you credit where credit is due, because everyone spends their time stroking your ego all day because you worked your ass off.

Well, guess what, I worked my ass off too, just in different ways. I spent the whole year networking on the underground and educating as many people with as much information about the cannabis plant as possible, while still bringing in no less than 2000+ in cash every day, taking at least 10%, at most 60%, depending on the overhead at the time.

You're insecure, I get it, you find pleasure in making people younger and less intelligent than you feel bad about themselves. Whatever, keep doing what you want man, it works for you.

If you honestly think I can't do any job you want me to than whatever, I adapt to any situation VERY quickly, and my learning curve is always far ahead of everyone I come into contact with. Half the time people teach me something I can do it better than them within 15 or 20 minutes.

Half of getting a job is just knowing people, and I know far more people than you can imagine, and my reputation is very widespread.

I don't need a college degree to work now, because I have a job that pays corporate salary without corporate position. Yet, at the same time after 2 years of being a California resident I can get grants to study at state schools to do research in bio-chemistry and botany.

So scoff at me all you want and tell me I'm dumb, it's making you look more and more arrogant by the minute.

Last edited by bender5; 11-10-2010 at 02:02 AM..
bender5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:42 AM   #237
ananana
FFR Player
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to ananana Send a message via MSN to ananana Send a message via Skype™ to ananana

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender5 View Post
I'm almost jealous of everyone with the opportunity to go to a good school, because mine was taken from me, so I had to make due with what I could.
I'm curious about how your opportunity was taken from you and why you didn't fight to get it back since you're such a hard worker.
ananana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:52 AM   #238
Vendetta21
Sectional Moderator
Sectional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Vendetta21

bender5 tellin' us about his alternative lifestyle in a thread about colleges on an outdated fingerdance game forum

LIVIN' THE DREAM
Old 11-10-2010, 08:09 AM   #239
fido123
FFR Player

This man is a troll
Old 11-10-2010, 08:13 AM   #240
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I'm not belittling you because you won't discuss intimate details. I'm calling you out because the finances don't make sense given what you *have* described. Again, you're not going to make 700k a year off medical marijuana arbitrage. I don't care how hard you work. You have yet to give me one example (without details) that describes how you can average a profit of nearly $2k/day. If you can't do at least that, you have no credibility in this argument. I'm not denying that you may have worked your ass off. I'm saying your claims are outrageous and the evidence doesn't back it up.

And it's not arrogant for me to say that you can't get any job you want. It's called "being realistic." YOU are arrogant for implying that everyone else's job is so easy that you can pick it up in a day. If you think you're so smart that you can match people who've studied their trade for years, then go get an investment banking position with Goldman Sachs without any experience or college education. Find a reputable job as a high-frequency trader -- go work for BAML. Go become a heart surgeon or work at Pfizer -- see if you can compete with the grueling outputs of medical school. Go work for Microsoft or Google as a software engineer. Go work for Boeing and become an engineer in aerodynamics/mechanics. All of these jobs, at their higher ends, will net you a far more comfortable and lucrative lifestyle with less risk compared to the marijuana industry.

If you want to peddle pot for a living and enjoy it, then whatever. But like foil said, don't turn around and say, in the same breath, that you can take on any job you want by just knowing people even without a college degree. That is the DEFINITION of arrogance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fido123 View Post
This man is a troll
I really hope so, lmfao.
MrRubix is offline   Reply With Quote