Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-8-2005, 04:12 PM   #21
Meteor858
FFR Supporter! OF DOOM!!!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Meteor858

benny that kinda sounds like me.....
... what you should do if he ever gets suicidal like that say if your going im going to, so if he really is your friend he wont do it.
any more problems just ask
-meteor

Meteor858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-8-2005, 04:57 PM   #22
stretchypanda
shock me shock me
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to stretchypanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor858
benny that kinda sounds like me.....
... what you should do if he ever gets suicidal like that say if your going im going to, so if he really is your friend he wont do it.
any more problems just ask
-meteor

Okay, so a person already has some serious mental issues, and we're going to throw something like, "A real friend wouldn't do it because I threatened to kill myself too."

Making empty threats like that is bull and will not have any effect. Your friend will call your bluff, and then what? You have a dead friend. Whoops!

Wow. You are the king of bad advice, hun.

Benny, it's a really rough situation that you're in. The fact that you are trying to reach out to him is good. Make sure your friend knows how much he means to you, and to other people in his life. Do his parents know he's having problems? It might be hard to go to an adult, especially if this kid does not want adults knowing what is wrong, but things like this could escalate beyond your control...

Just be there for him. Your concern should be touching.
stretchypanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-8-2005, 05:18 PM   #23
Kilgamayan
Super Scooter Happy
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Kilgamayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by djshox
There is NO reason that something is so horrible that you have to end it like that. NONE.
And you know this for a fact how?
I watched clouds awobbly from the floor o' that kayak. Souls cross ages like clouds cross skies, an' tho' a cloud's shape nor hue nor size don't stay the same, it's still a cloud an' so is a soul. Who can say where the cloud's blowed from or who the soul'll be 'morrow? Only Sonmi the east an' the west an' the compass an' the atlas, yay, only the atlas o' clouds.
Kilgamayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-8-2005, 05:27 PM   #24
Kilgamayan
Super Scooter Happy
FFR Simfile Author

I don't know.

But that doesn't mean that there isn't something out there that could push me over the edge. Perhaps there is, and I simply haven't experienced it yet.
I watched clouds awobbly from the floor o' that kayak. Souls cross ages like clouds cross skies, an' tho' a cloud's shape nor hue nor size don't stay the same, it's still a cloud an' so is a soul. Who can say where the cloud's blowed from or who the soul'll be 'morrow? Only Sonmi the east an' the west an' the compass an' the atlas, yay, only the atlas o' clouds.
Old 04-8-2005, 05:34 PM   #25
ddrruler
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to ddrruler

Shox you don't understand along with the people who say your being selfish etc...the only way you would understand if you have been/are depressed....I was sucidal last summer...im on some adhd med that doubles as a depression supresser.
Old 04-8-2005, 07:46 PM   #26
Cenright
You thought I was a GUY?!
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Location: Beaumont (A town with 25 times fewer people than this site)
Send a message via AIM to Cenright Send a message via MSN to Cenright Send a message via Yahoo to Cenright

That is the main problem. Depression becomes a self-fulfilling process. To just break the depression by getting outside and around people can work wonders.
Cenright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-8-2005, 08:11 PM   #27
Kilgamayan
Super Scooter Happy
FFR Simfile Author

That's assuming doing so will, in fact, fix depression.

It's entirely possible that for any given case, that won't do anything.
Old 04-8-2005, 08:21 PM   #28
TheTypist
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to TheTypist

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchypanda
...A very close friend of my family had the.. uh.. "privilege" of discovering the body of her ex-husband after he killed himself, and then, just before I started college, her only son -- again, the victim of suicide...
Notice the bolded word. Victim usually means there is a suspect. And the suspect usually gets in trouble. So what if they're one and the same?

The Constitution protects the right to pursue happiness, not a right to kill yourself.

-Nick Bank
TheTypist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-8-2005, 08:27 PM   #29
talisman
Resident Penguin
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to talisman

Depression is a physical illness... trying to change the way you think won't do anything unless you have magic serotonin reuptake blocking powers. Seriously, most of the people who attempt suicide probably exhibit clinical depression and should go on some drugs (Zoloft, Prozac, etc.).

Also no one is depressed in the clinical sense until they've been "blue" for at least six months straight.
talisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-8-2005, 09:03 PM   #30
Cenright
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Cenright Send a message via MSN to Cenright Send a message via Yahoo to Cenright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgamayan
That's assuming doing so will, in fact, fix depression.

It's entirely possible that for any given case, that won't do anything.
Yes, that's true. But I doubt that there are very many people that bad.
That happens when people start to feel there is nothing else than depression, which is probably the main leader to suicide.
Old 04-8-2005, 09:08 PM   #31
Anticrombie0909
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Anticrombie0909

Quote:
Like Cenright noted, suicide is just being selfish. If you want to kill yourself because "everybody hates you" or some (#$% like that, you're downright selfish. It wouldn't solve anything and would bring the worst pain to your friends and family. There is NO reason that something is so horrible that you have to end it like that. NONE.
Quote:
That is the main problem. Depression becomes a self-fulfilling process. To just break the depression by getting outside and around people can work wonders.
ARGH

DID YOU PEOPLE EVEN READ MY POST

Depression is NOT A LOGICAL ILLNESS. Depression is NOT CAUSED by people hating you, or because you screwed up on a test, or because your girlfriend broke up with you. These things can make you DEPRESSED, or temporarily TRIGGER depression, but ACTUAL, CLINICAL DEPRESSION IS NOT CAUSED BY A LOGICAL THING. HOW MANY MORE TIMES DO I NEED TO SAY THIS.

DEPRESSION

IS

NOT

MENTALLY

CURABLE

IT IS NOT "ALL IN YOUR MIND" LIKE YOU SEEM TO THINK IT IS

IT CANNOT BE CURED BY "GOING FOR A WALK"

DO YOU GET IT YET?

Depression is the NUMBER ONE cause of preventable death for teenagers. You honestly think that many teenagers get an F on test and pop themselves? WRONG.

I have a great life. I have tons of friends. I have loving parents and plenty of money. I have good grades. I have NO logical reason to be depressed, yet, somehow, that doesnt' heal me. GEE WONDER IF MAYBE IT'S BECAUSE IT'S AN ACTUAL MENTAL ILLNESS? You can't "talk yourself" out of depression any more than you can Schizophrenia. There's a reason they prescribe medication IN ADDITION to therapy.

Edit: Ok, sorry, I'm not trying to 'yell' here, but you people are talking about something you completely don't understand. You really, truely simply can not understand the nature of clinical depression unless you've struggled with it. And Shox, being depressed for a summer and curing yourself by hanging out with friends means you most likely weren't clinically depressed.
Anticrombie0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-8-2005, 11:51 PM   #32
hatakikakashi
FFR Player

Anitcrombie0909 I think you just hit the nail on the head there.

With a sledgehammer...

As hard as you could...

I agree wholeheartedly with everything you just said again.
Old 04-9-2005, 08:56 AM   #33
Cenright
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticrombie0909
Depression is NOT A LOGICAL ILLNESS. Depression is NOT CAUSED by people hating you, or because you screwed up on a test, or because your girlfriend broke up with you. These things can make you DEPRESSED, or temporarily TRIGGER depression, but ACTUAL, CLINICAL DEPRESSION IS NOT CAUSED BY A LOGICAL THING.

You are right, It is emotion. Pure, screwed up emotion and illogicality.
That is where breaking the common routine is so helpful. Depression starts as an emotional mindset, and becomes a habitual attitude. To do something that alters the emotional mindset will help alter the attitude for the time.

Ever heard of "Time flies when you're having fun"? Well emotion flies too. If you took that person to Disneyland or Six Flags, you could help break that. You would keep them busy, meaning you would keep them in a group of people that they know, so that there is always someone to see, talk to, listen to, or go with. It would work very well, but tomorrow, it is back to the same thing. That is why each day has to be broken up, so that their routine changes, and then they have something interesting each day. It breaks the habitual attitude and makes them have to think about something else.

The problem with people who have it for a long time or have it many times, is they are getting back into that emotional routine. They don't have the willpower to break the routine, and even when it has been broken, they easily fall back into it. It is like another type of addictive personality.
Old 04-9-2005, 09:07 AM   #34
blargherness
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to blargherness

kinda strange, i JUST watched a suicide video in my gym class (it was turned into a temporarily 2-day health class) and i actually learned quite a bit. i dont really have anything to say on the matter though....

sorta creeps me out though, i took a depression test, it said it was a possibility that i had depression, the only thing that sorta contradicts it is that i dont feel too depressed, and i havent had even the slightes thought of suicide or anything...but it still sort of worries me....but thats besides the topic so ill shut up now
Old 04-9-2005, 11:27 AM   #35
Meteor858
FFR Supporter! OF DOOM!!!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Meteor858

anti crombie once again youve takin the shit right outta my mouth only this time you let it evolve for 5 years.

blarge I have clinical depression and for me it started out as the stuff your talkin bout i didnt think i had it but stuff like that said i might have it then it got worse and worse and now i think bout it almost every day

if that ever happens to you tell someone you know and seek medical help

Meteor858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-9-2005, 04:56 PM   #36
talisman
Resident Penguin

Dude, cen, clinical depression is not emotion. It is a chemical imbalance, and you can't fix it by changing your daily routine. Your brain simply doesn't have enough serotonin and norepinephrine, which is why antidepressants (nowadays anyway) are usually either SSRIs or SNRIs.
Old 04-9-2005, 05:06 PM   #37
TheTypist
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to TheTypist

So basically, we've all been saying the same thing about depression, assuming that the next post was a bitter rebuttal, then getting angry and repeating our arguments over and over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticrombie0909
]Depression is the NUMBER ONE cause of preventable death for teenagers.
See? Preventable.

No right to kill yourself.

However, we have the right to the pursuit of happiness. If you're depressed, there's a lot more happiness to be pursued. So technically, if you're depressed, you have more rights. If you're a liberal, more "rights" = better, almost always. Therefore, I can only conclude that all Democrats should become depressed.

If that's not illogical for you, I don't know what is.[/i]

-Nick Bank
TheTypist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-9-2005, 05:40 PM   #38
FlashStinger
FFR Player

Yes, It is a chemical imbalance, but it is also emotional. Not every problem in your life can be diagnosed with western medicine and thinking that everything is from a chemical imbalance in your head. I had a shrink 2 years ago diagnose me with manic depressive disorder, bi-polar disorder, and obsessive compulsive disorder. They wanted to put me on like 3 or 4 different drugs to help, but I refused. As a buddhist, I don't take drugs or anything that will alter how my mind works. It helps to just sit back and look at your life. I was at that point where I was about to end it all. I'm no stupid kid, not to brag, but knowing the easiest way s to do it didn't help. I was full well ready to die, but then someone called me. And was like, we haven't done much together lately, wanna go to the movies. That was enough, I sat back and looked at some of the triggers. I mean, I had my problems after that, but today I can honestly say that I have changed. Yes, I understand the chemical Imbalce part of it, I still suffer from that, but I honestly think that it is dwelling in that kind of thought that causes more suffering. Sitting there thinking that you will always be sad and depressed only makes it worse. If you don't have friends, it doesn't mean you never will. You can be happy and depressed, it is ok. Too many teenagers thinking is at the point it's like. "I'm depressed right now. Things Will always get harder, I will never be happy." Well, thats true, if you decide to end it. Every moment is different and you will never be the same.
At times I believe a lot of these problems of suicide come from religion. Not bashing it, it's wonderful and good and all that, but some people think that if they commit suicide, they will go to heaven and be happy. And they look at that as their only way to be truly happy. Yet, we know that there is happiness on earth. And us dying only makes the rest of the world suffer and ourselves to suffer.
On another note, almost all suicide attempts are unsucsessful. I work in a nursing home, and there is a 32 year old man there. He has a wife, to wonderful kids, great job, loving parents, the works. He will never see them again. He is in a drug induced comatose. He swallowed 2 bottles of anti depressants, 1 bottle of asprin, 5 patches that we use at the home (extremely lethal in the human body) , About 3 cups of alchohol, and a bottle of paint thinner. He then got out of his car, and walked into the walmart he had been parked at. Makes it in the door, and crashes. Heart stops, and he is unconcious. This man survived, only because there was an EMT present. Another minute and he would be dead. The shocking thing is many many suicide attempts end like this. It is slightly ironic, that by wanting death, you receive life, for many years to come, in a constant vegetative state. Think about that when you think about suicide. This is the saddest person I have ever seen, lying in his bed, without any ablity to move, he might as well be dead. But, he isn't, he's there. Where he will probably remain for another 30 to 40 years. It isn't a way out. You think your life is bad now, try and imagine living in this state.
That has been a wake up call for me. I see my friend who wants to commit, and has all of the mental issues I have along with schizophrenia and cutting. The main problem I see is being selfish, and the chemical imbalaces. She takes the drugs, and they only help a bit. That is one reason why I think it is in a large part mental. As one who is very into psychology I can see many signs of why she is depressed, besides the chemical imbalance. She wants attention, and she gets it, but she always wants more. Her family life is one of the best i have seen(mormon), and she has some of the greatest friends in the world, yet, she thinks no one notices or cares for her. And she admits that she wants the attention, and that she doesn't get enough, but I'll reiterate this, she dwells in that state of mind that she is unwanted. Even when around many people tending for her, she thinks like that. Chemical imbalces can't really cause that part. It can't control the things you think. Those chemicals cannot affect your thoughts, just how you feel. I can say, that one of the number one reasons is dwelling in the thoughts. another would be Blaming your depression on the imbalances and not taking on some of the responsibility. I mean, when you are ready to commit suicide, it is not the chemicals making you, it is you. You can't blame the chemicals for everything, thats just not the way it works.
Old 04-9-2005, 05:49 PM   #39
talisman
Resident Penguin

Schizophrenia is different though... antipsychotics only fix schizophrenia one third of the time, and must be present in order to maintain normality in another third. That leaves a third that doesn't get any benefits from the drugs.

and let's be honest... you ARE chemicals. Chemicals are to blame for EVERYTHING. There is no magical "you" in "control".
Old 04-9-2005, 05:59 PM   #40
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

I completely agree with Flash. I'm glad there are others out there who think the same way, too.

And talisman, that's a whole 'nother philosophical discussion. And, hey, if we're all made up of chemicals then you can go down further and say we're just a collective mass of bosons and fermions. Events at that level are quite inexplicable, so those at the chemical level can be, too.

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote