Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-8-2010, 07:25 PM   #161
bender5
The 40% Iron Chef
FFR Veteran

Default Re: College/University??

Oh, and I guess I forgot to stress the most important part, life IS NOT about the money. If you consume yourself with making money instead of being happy to earn money, than you'll NEVER be truly happy.
bender5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-8-2010, 07:27 PM   #162
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to psychoangel691

Well see for me it's hard to chose because there's so many things I've dabbled in that I rather enjoy.

Law/criminal justice has always been a big interest to me. I have an eye for detail. At one point I had thought about forensic science as well.

Psychology - A lot of people have told me I should get into it because I just seem to have a knack for resolving things and understanding people. This is also something that interests me a lot and the good thing with law is I also get to take psychology.

Business - I seem to also have a knack for business. I've been promoted to management at many jobs even without a degree just because I'm good at it. I'd love to run my own business but with that comes a great risk because of the money you need to put into it. I suppose with a business degree I could become a store manager somewhere but I'm not sure that's what I'd really want to do.

It sucks because I feel I'm so far behind being that I'm 25 and still don't have a career. I'm by no means stupid or uneducated I've learned a lot of skills and trades along the way.

Basically I'm a jack of all trades but a master of none lol. I need to figure out the one I want to focus on. I'm not looking to have a career that makes me super rich or anything. I just want something to where I know I can have a comfortable home and provide for my family. Maybe take the occasional cool vacation or something lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBackpack View Post
also a fucking helicopter is the absolute last place I'd go to find out how big my dick is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_God_10 View Post
Dawg you don't even know. It's so fuckin' small I can use a pen cap to jack off

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
yeah I'mma go for the Rave7 route she's just perfect, stiff on the top, thin in the middle, and has a BIG THICC END that I can just jack on all night UwU best girl
psychoangel691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-8-2010, 07:27 PM   #163
Rubin0
FFR Player

I'm graduating with a bachelor's in psychology in less than a month...then moving onto a masters in forensic psychology...which is pretty neat if you are interested in both psych and law. I will be in school until I have my phd so it's a really long road and as of right now forensic psychologists don't make a ton of money. The market and demand for expert witnesses and criminal psychologists is definitely becoming more popular and I'm fully confident that it will become more lucrative in the next decade or so.
Old 11-8-2010, 07:28 PM   #164
Jaw-Long
FFR Player

If you're talking about me, I never imposed that money was the important thing. I was just saying that money is something important.
Elitist
Self-important
Trolls

The more butthurt you get about us, the more we profit from your misery.
Jaw-Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-8-2010, 07:31 PM   #165
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender5 View Post
My suggestion is do a lot of research before dedicating to anything.

I've privately studied so much in the last year because CCM is a freaking joke (as you would know if you've been around here). Learn as much as you can about as many things as you can, you'll know what you want to do eventually, but if you can do it all you put yourself in a very versatile position

CCM is crap I had looked into courses there and said F this. My brother is currently attending there after going to Chubb which I can't understand because he graduated Chubb with a 3.8 gpa yet he insists on working a job at best buy and going to a crappy community college.

I've done tons of research on many of the fields I've had interest in but I still find it difficult to chose what direction to take. Plus there's also the financial aspect of school which is difficult for me. I give Rubix a TON of credit for doing what he did. A lot of you guys just look at him as an arrogant asshole but I have the upmost respect for him putting himself through an ivy league school and having his career set already at his age. There are not many people that can accomplish that.
Quote:
also a fucking helicopter is the absolute last place I'd go to find out how big my dick is
Quote:

Quote:
yeah I'mma go for the Rave7 route she's just perfect, stiff on the top, thin in the middle, and has a BIG THICC END that I can just jack on all night UwU best girl
Old 11-8-2010, 07:32 PM   #166
bender5
The 40% Iron Chef
FFR Veteran

General statement. Not targeted at anyone, it's just you guys all seem to think I'm some money hungry punk kid

Now, I'm just buying a house and making a living doing what I love. I just tell as many college students as I can to enjoy themselves while they're young because you won't always have the chance to do it.

As far as Rubix goes, he's a lucky man to have his kind of opportunity, and a very good example of hard work breeding success, I just never had to try at anything 'til I started up a real business on the underground

Last edited by bender5; 11-8-2010 at 07:37 PM..
bender5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-8-2010, 07:36 PM   #167
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubin0 View Post
I'm graduating with a bachelor's in psychology in less than a month...then moving onto a masters in forensic psychology...which is pretty neat if you are interested in both psych and law. I will be in school until I have my phd so it's a really long road and as of right now forensic psychologists don't make a ton of money. The market and demand for expert witnesses and criminal psychologists is definitely becoming more popular and I'm fully confident that it will become more lucrative in the next decade or so.

That's awesome congrats on getting your bachelor's so far. Yea psychology, law, forensic sciences I could see myself doing any of that as a career. Like I said in my earlier post I'm not looking to make tons of money just looking for a fulfilling career that I can support a family with. And hopefully something that wont be horribly affected with economic downswings like we're having now.
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Old 11-8-2010, 07:45 PM   #168
Rubin0
FFR Player

Well as I see it, crazy people will exist whether the economy is doing well or not.
Old 11-8-2010, 07:47 PM   #169
Superfreak04
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I'm doing criminal justice as a major right now. Not sure if I like it all, just shooting guns is fun, but the law itself is tough, you can really **** yourself over being a cop if you can't write a report correctly. I want to do something with computers but I don't know what jobs there would be, or atleast something with videogames, but what? Any ideas?
Old 11-8-2010, 07:48 PM   #170
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubin0 View Post
Well as I see it, crazy people will exist whether the economy is doing well or not.

Haha this is true. But to be a Psychiatrist I would have to go to medical school as well. Psychologists make alright money but I don't know if it's quite enough to live without worry of financial struggle. FFFFFFFFFFF knowing me I'm just going to try to educate myself in a couple fields because I like too many different things.
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Old 11-8-2010, 07:50 PM   #171
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfreak04 View Post
I'm doing criminal justice as a major right now. Not sure if I like it all, just shooting guns is fun, but the law itself is tough, you can really **** yourself over being a cop if you can't write a report correctly. I want to do something with computers but I don't know what jobs there would be, or atleast something with videogames, but what? Any ideas?

There's a lot of trade schools for computer related stuff. You need to figure out what aspects of it you want to learn. My one brother plans on going for video game design because he wants to actually create games. If that's something that interests you, you should look around for some trade schools for it.
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Old 11-8-2010, 07:52 PM   #172
Superfreak04
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoangel691 View Post
There's a lot of trade schools for computer related stuff. You need to figure out what aspects of it you want to learn. My one brother plans on going for video game design because he wants to actually create games. If that's something that interests you, you should look around for some trade schools for it.
Video game design I always wanted to do, but I'm afraid that I don't have the skills for it haha, let alone it's most likely not in high demand and it would more than likely end up making me move somewhere.
Old 11-8-2010, 07:55 PM   #173
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things

Quote:
Video game design I always wanted to do, but I'm afraid that I don't have the skills for it haha, let alone it's most likely not in high demand and it would more than likely end up making me move somewhere.

Really? I figure there would be a good deal of schools and such out in IL
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Old 11-8-2010, 07:57 PM   #174
Superfreak04
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Really? I figure there would be a good deal of schools and such out in IL
How do you figure? lol.
Old 11-8-2010, 07:59 PM   #175
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things

Well I mean Chicago is a huge city so I figured there would be a good bit out there lol
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Old 11-8-2010, 08:00 PM   #176
Superfreak04
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Well I mean Chicago is a huge city so I figured there would be a good bit out there lol
Haha well there are a lot of tech schools, I'm just afraid that if I get a degree in the field, I'm gonna end up not ever getting a job, and I'll be working at Taco Bell all my life lol.
Old 11-8-2010, 08:03 PM   #177
MrGiggles
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrGiggles Send a message via MSN to MrGiggles

Quote:
No prior experience necessary, and the industry is ****ing huge and growing so demand is probably not an issue.

I have, however, heard worrying things about a potentially bloated market with all the recent colleges picking up Game Design programs, and studios preferring a degree in CS or comp engineering than a degree in game design, which, being such a new thing, varies wildly between institutions in terms of content and rigor.

In general though, I'm told that it's a pretty good field to be in right about now, as video games explode into the incredibly profitable casual/mainstream market.
Old 11-8-2010, 08:06 PM   #178
Superfreak04
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGiggles View Post
No prior experience necessary, and the industry is ****ing huge and growing so demand is probably not an issue.

I have, however, heard worrying things about a potentially bloated market with all the recent colleges picking up Game Design programs, and studios preferring a degree in CS or comp engineering than a degree in game design, which, being such a new thing, varies wildly between institutions in terms of content and rigor.

In general though, I'm told that it's a pretty good field to be in right about now, as video games explode into the incredibly profitable casual/mainstream market.
I see, but do you know what programs I would be using for video game design? If anything I would like to get the programs first and mess around with it so I can at least teach myself some stuff.
Old 11-8-2010, 08:19 PM   #179
MrGiggles
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrGiggles Send a message via MSN to MrGiggles

Up until now (sophomore year), the only programs we've used are Visual Studio for C# (and a bunch of addons, like AnkhSVN), jGrasp for Java, Photoshop, Flash, Flash Builder, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand that's it thus far. I didn't know anything except a bit of PHotoshop on starting, but that didn't put me behind the class at all after 2 weeks or so.
Old 11-8-2010, 08:20 PM   #180
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender5 View Post
I just tell as many college students as I can to enjoy themselves while they're young because you won't always have the chance to do it.
you're preaching to the choir, bro. do you realize the insanely high percentage of college students who drink, party, all that stuff? it's all good and fun, but people can enjoy themselves however they choose to.

psychoangel: from my fairly uninformed perspective, lawyer doesn't sound like a terrific fit for what you're looking for. I have to imagine there's plenty of off-the-job stress leading up to cases, which could make it tougher to spend quality time with the family. on the other hand, it would sure pay the bills.

psychology seems immensely interesting. I agree that it's not so guaranteed to produce financial security, though. what exactly is the job market for psychologists? all I can think of is psychiatry, haha.
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote