Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #141
Calcium Deposit
I am the liquor
FFR Music Producer

Default Re: Texas Senate Filibuster Regarding Abortion

Babies aren't sentient (yet), but you don't see many people willing to kill those (...yet).
I would support this by saying they (usually) aren't self aware or capable of not shitting themselves for a few years.

Abortion is clearly a topic of where to draw the line. The problem is that line would be pretty much arbitrary unless scientists discover souls really do exist and can pinpoint exactly when they enter the fetus. But until that happens abortions really shouldn't be used as a matter of convenience and only in emergency situations.
Calcium Deposit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #142
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavernio View Post
We don't know when sentience happens.
We know which pieces of the brain correspond to things like, say, conscious pain -- and a lot of these components form in the third trimester. Consciousness/sentience in general is an emergent property. First two trimesters don't even really warrant a spectrum argument, even.

Quote:
But using the sentience argument also means we shouldn't eat or kill animals. Ultimately it's not just that a fetus may have some basic form of sentience at some point (it kinda has to, if we believe a newborn is sentient), is that it's human sentience. Which implies that there's something special about humanity itself, sentient or not.
This is nonsense. We eat and kill animals just fine. We still try to do it humanely to minimize suffering.

Quote:
If you don't know if someone is alive or not, the most moral stance is to assume that they are, rather than take a chance and say they're not. Same goes for sentience.
Except we do have ways to dictate the "consciousness and utility interpretation profile" of a growing fetus. You're invoking argument-from-ignorance, here.

EDIT: Here we go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neonatal_perception

In other words, if you abort before the third trimester (especially a few weeks before at latest -- and keep in mind that a vast majority of abortions take place in the first trimester), you're probably pretty safe in avoiding any conflicts with sentience or pain concerns.

Some 1% of abortions take place after 22 weeks, and most of those are due to extreme/last-minute medical concerns/problems that arise.

Last edited by Reincarnate; 06-27-2013 at 04:35 PM..
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:56 AM   #143
Aldentron
Forum User

Send a message via Skype™ to Aldentron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
This is nonsense. We eat and kill animals just fine. We still try to do it humanely to minimize suffering.
there's nothing humane about eating an animal that you never saw alive IMHO
i remember a time when he wuz kewl

like... wut
Aldentron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:26 AM   #144
Syhto
BuMP it
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Syhto

if you're ok with having an abortion then don't have the fucking kid

most teen "moms" miscarriage from alcohol and drug abuse anyways, you have to realize that either way you're fucked. sex health clinics are good for distributing contraceptives, but abortion shouldn't be considered a contraceptive. abortion should always be a last, last resort. I don't think willy nilly abortions are ok. But I do believe you should have the right to have one. But dont' give out free abortions on the corner, cuz that's just asking for people not to THINK about their actions. god knows so many kids have been born and neglected and grew up, or didn't, having a rather unfulfilling childhood and a difficult life. it's not fair to the damn fetus to let them go to a mom that thinks its ok to vacuum baby guts out of their uterus just because they didn't feel like going on birth control. idk something like that I'm a little drunk but I think my message is clear

abortion is bad, babies are good, fetuses are unborn children, and deserve a chance at life, but sometimes people just aren't ready. that's when abortions are good. because who the fuck is going to take care of that child if you won't put the time in to really love it. you don't love your baby if you really consider killing it. so don't make it super easy to get abortions left and right but at least give people the option if it does exist and circumstances permit
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tao of Dossar
I never self-reflect, and therefore, I have no negative thoughts about myself. However I am also aware about my successes.

Last edited by Syhto; 06-28-2013 at 01:36 AM..
Syhto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:28 AM   #145
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Unfortunately, shit happens
Old 06-28-2013, 01:49 AM   #146
Syhto
BuMP it
FFR Veteran

it has been found that love is the primary factor in the healthy development of a baby/child, and communication is key. most people that would have an abortion have low self esteem or problems with themselves that cause them to want to have no kid. I could easily argue and say yeah, having a kid teaches you lessons and brings these problems to the surface. it can make you realize how wrong you were if you stick with pregnancy. really I'm against abortion altogether. But i'm tired of hearing about x person having their nth abortion. Would you stop mocking yourself and life and just get it together already

if you don't have it together don't have a baby because you are still too much of a child if your resolve rests on !death!
Quote:
I never self-reflect, and therefore, I have no negative thoughts about myself. However I am also aware about my successes.

Last edited by Syhto; 06-28-2013 at 01:53 AM..
Old 06-28-2013, 01:55 AM   #147
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldentron View Post
there's nothing humane about eating an animal that you never saw alive IMHO
who cares, steak is good
Old 06-28-2013, 02:03 AM   #148
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syhto View Post
sex health clinics are good for distributing contraceptives, but abortion shouldn't be considered a contraceptive. abortion should always be a last, last resort. I don't think willy nilly abortions are ok. But I do believe you should have the right to have one. But dont' give out free abortions on the corner, cuz that's just asking for people not to THINK about their actions. god knows so many kids have been born and neglected and grew up, or didn't, having a rather unfulfilling childhood and a difficult life. it's not fair to the damn fetus to let them go to a mom that thinks its ok to vacuum baby guts out of their uterus just because they didn't feel like going on birth control. idk something like that I'm a little drunk but I think my message is clear
People aren't out getting abortions willy-nilly or using it as a form of birth control (that's a widely-propagated myth). Abortion, for a vast majority of people, IS a last resort. Half of all women who get abortions actually used contraception. The problem is that sometimes shit breaks/doesn't work, or women mis-time their pills, or the contraception is used incorrectly in the general sense. Sometimes people just never learned proper sex ed. Others avoid any sort of emergency contraception because they don't understand that it's a preventative measure that's totally different from something like RU 486, or they let ridiculous religious crap get in the way of making responsible choices.

Anyways I feel like the whole abortion debate is missing the forest for the trees. It wouldn't be such a huge problem if we stopped trying to place ideology over pragmatism.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:09 AM   #149
Syhto
BuMP it
FFR Veteran

ok, well that's fine, I realize what I said was mostly a slew of broken emotion. but most abortions are an emotional process brought on by the "can I have a kid" episode, or at least from my experience, for example if you go to jail

you should hear how the people talk about abortions and miscarriages. everything has its flip side. you said no one is using it willy nilly, well they are, lol. How can you say that's a myth that people use it as birth control. I know several people that do. It's sad but it isn't something you can just ignore in the presence of more logical reasoning
Quote:
Old 06-28-2013, 02:13 AM   #150
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
ok, well that's fine, I realize what I said was mostly a slew of broken emotion. but most abortions are an emotional process brought on by the "can I have a kid" episode, or at least from my experience, for example if you go to jail

you should hear how the people talk about abortions and miscarriages. everything has its flip side. you said no one is using it willy nilly, well they are, lol. How can you say that's a myth that people use it as birth control. I know several people that do. It's sad but it isn't something you can just ignore in the presence of more logical reasoning
obviously I don't mean NO ONE is -- it's just by no means the norm at all whatsoever. anecdotal evidence is also dangerous to go by as a general rule because you don't necessarily know how it fits into macro-level trends ("the plural of anecdote is not data").
Old 06-28-2013, 02:13 AM   #151
Syhto
BuMP it
FFR Veteran

and where do you get that the half the women on contraceptives were actually using them correctly? Most likely they weren't unless they were actually (just) using condoms, and that's the scenario where "circumstances permit." But my opinion remains that if you don't think you can take care of a baby then don't. yeesh
Quote:
Old 06-28-2013, 02:16 AM   #152
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
and where do you get that the half the women on contraceptives were actually using them correctly? Most likely they weren't unless they were actually (just) using condoms, and that's the scenario where "circumstances permit." But my opinion remains that if you don't think you can take care of a baby then don't. yeesh
Please re-read -- I said that a big part of the problem was that many people use contraception incorrectly (in addition to things like breakage or not taking pills on-time).
Old 06-28-2013, 02:22 AM   #153
Syhto
BuMP it
FFR Veteran

oh. LOL, sorry. you're true. I skipped those two sentences. but yeah. I'm not a firm believer in one way or another. I just see many confused people and a lot of them at that, aka this world is growing rapidly. I would go into religion but I feel that's a bad idea. I see fetuses as the same thing as anyone else, and killing them is murder, but it's alright if you're saving them or yourself from something, because it's not as though they'll be missing much. back to oblivion you go. (not to mention what I believe, just saying) it goes back to where it came from like anything. So I don't think abortions are necessarily bad, I frown upon them tho, but do what you will, either way you will do what you have to do and learn from it. life goes on
Quote:
Old 06-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #154
igotrhythm
Fractals!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to igotrhythm

Quote:
and where do you get that half the women on contraceptives weren't actually using them correctly?
ftfy

I want to see sources on this as well.
igotrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:03 PM   #155
popsicle_3000
Legendary Noob
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to popsicle_3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2P View Post
Stfu ohn
finally, this explains so much. I'd forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkuski View Post
By the most recent DragonIIDX Census, around 85% of you are virgins, so some of you must agree.
tell me now where I can find these threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
1. It's crazy expensive and costs way more than just putting the bastard in jail for life.
death penalty expensive? K+ solution is dirt cheap...

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
39,000 popsicles pro bg blue note arrow slayer whoa damn..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
one way to stream them all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Right after sex, it skillboosted me by +10 levels from like a 35-45 about. (Which then 15 min's later I got really tired and couldn't play anymore)

But then my lady friend got pissed off I was playing FFR instead of playing her. Then for the rest of the night she played the 'Only want me for my body' card and I didn't get to sleep with blankets that night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesunfan View Post
replacing ifitypedhisnameaslargeashisnamesuggests,iwouldgetbanned with theelongatedaustrocanadian3000 (pop).
Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben_tate View Post
Title: Popsicle Three

Thousand the farthest
He's gone in an official
Whoop hip hip hooray!
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
kjwkjw: "oh my god, Tosh. Post that in the thread."

@popsicle_3000:
Danger incoming
The popsicles are melting
Three thousand of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
you got to ease the topic into some conversation and let it go from there

dynam0: man friend that was an intense sm session right?
friend: haha yeah you really nailed those patterns
dynam0: yeah man kind of like how gay dudes nail other gay dudes in the ass!
friend: hey bro can i tell you something
dynam0 yeah man whats up?
friend: hypothetically speaking would you care if i was bisexual or maybe even gay?
dynam0: bro we shower together after sm sessions all the time and i'll still shower with you even if you are gay or w/e thats your thing just dont try to ram my ass HAHAHA
friend: thanks man
dynam0: no problem man
Quote:
pop takin' time out of playing irl Trauma Center to check in on his fiffer buds (mm)
Quote:
Well, Popsicle won every award this year so it was canceled.
popsicle_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:48 PM   #156
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

http://www.deathpenalty.org/article.php?id=42
Old 06-28-2013, 11:20 PM   #157
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

all that money when you can just put a bullet in the head of a convicted serial killer
Old 06-29-2013, 07:05 AM   #158
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

Daily birth control pills (the standard) are a fucking joke, you miss 1 dose you're fucked for a month. Also you get to fuck around with your hormones. That feels good.

"This is nonsense. We eat and kill animals just fine. We still try to do it humanely to minimize suffering"
I WISH! We kill them humanely, but the rest of their lives most animals people eat are treated like a vegetable. Farm animals, especially chickens and pigs' existence is basically pure suffering.

Anyways, you completely missed the point that since most people STILL eat animals despite knowing their sentient, we discredit the idea that sentience is where we draw the line to not kill something. It's that a fetus is going to be HUMAN that makes aborting a sentient fetus wrong. Which implies that human life, irregardless of sentience, holds some sort of value to people. It's not stupid to consider conception as the moment at which a fetus has it's own life and therefore it's own rights. I think it's more stupid to consider birth as the moment a person gets rights, seeing as a baby definitely has developed senses long before then.

http://birthpsychology.com/free-arti...classical-view

Sense of touch, 8 weeks. Via response to touch.

Requirement of ANY sort of functional cortex for sentience is wrong. Cortex helps understand senses, which obviously is tied into experiencing them, but is hardly necessary for feeling them. Experience of pain isn't what I would deem the important criteria for when to not kill a fetus anyways.

Also, this incongruity in points of brain development and versus a response is simply furthering my point that we don't know when sentience develops.

Last edited by Cavernio; 06-29-2013 at 07:20 AM..
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:09 AM   #159
popsicle_3000
Legendary Noob
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to popsicle_3000

not true about the birth control btw...

Quote:
39,000 popsicles pro bg blue note arrow slayer whoa damn..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
one way to stream them all
Quote:
Right after sex, it skillboosted me by +10 levels from like a 35-45 about. (Which then 15 min's later I got really tired and couldn't play anymore)

But then my lady friend got pissed off I was playing FFR instead of playing her. Then for the rest of the night she played the 'Only want me for my body' card and I didn't get to sleep with blankets that night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesunfan View Post
replacing ifitypedhisnameaslargeashisnamesuggests,iwouldgetbanned with theelongatedaustrocanadian3000 (pop).
Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben_tate View Post
Title: Popsicle Three

Thousand the farthest
He's gone in an official
Whoop hip hip hooray!
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
kjwkjw: "oh my god, Tosh. Post that in the thread."

@popsicle_3000:
Danger incoming
The popsicles are melting
Three thousand of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
you got to ease the topic into some conversation and let it go from there

dynam0: man friend that was an intense sm session right?
friend: haha yeah you really nailed those patterns
dynam0: yeah man kind of like how gay dudes nail other gay dudes in the ass!
friend: hey bro can i tell you something
dynam0 yeah man whats up?
friend: hypothetically speaking would you care if i was bisexual or maybe even gay?
dynam0: bro we shower together after sm sessions all the time and i'll still shower with you even if you are gay or w/e thats your thing just dont try to ram my ass HAHAHA
friend: thanks man
dynam0: no problem man
Quote:
pop takin' time out of playing irl Trauma Center to check in on his fiffer buds (mm)
Quote:
Well, Popsicle won every award this year so it was canceled.
popsicle_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:02 AM   #160
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by popsicle_3000 View Post
not true about the birth control btw...
...and that's how women on birth control who think they're following it fine get pregnant.
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote