Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Stepmania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2011, 03:17 PM   #141
Staiain
Can't handle my ÆØÅ
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Staiain Send a message via MSN to Staiain Send a message via Skype™ to Staiain
Default Re: A new beginning for our SM community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolboyrulez0 View Post
Don't forget to add a musician section where we can share our music that can be used for (potentially) new files.
Of course, when a forum is set up, the possibillites are almost endless, we could even have a section where people post links to songs that needs to be stepped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by customstuff View Post
I have a hard time believing that anti-elitism will actually happen for a long period of time. If it actually comes through, I will absolutely be a part of this.

I'll still hang around FFR, since it's a big part of my life, but I will also be there. I focus my files on fun factor though, so I haven't had much of a chance to shine. One good thing I can say is that when Arch0wl judged my file for FFR he said something like: "This file isn't the usual spread chart, it's unique and fun so I enjoyed it" and he gave me 5/5.

Basically, I'll help out. lol
Nice to hear, I know that people will still go to FFR, but having a seperate community for stepmania only will most likely gather more people over time, and more will hang there and feel more welcome
Staiain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:21 PM   #142
ddrxero64
FFR Player

I really do like waking up to 47 new posts. fuuuuuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMAYYYNE View Post
hehehe, I was bored and tbh, most 12 year olds in general know what a penis is and pretty much use the word like everyday anyways lol

I want to contribute, I'm willing to help. I was on SMO in translations for Spanish players (of course I was dropped but will not get into details), maybe I could help out in translating here too.
Well yea, and most forums accessible in America that may have content such as this usually enable COPPA to disallow accounts by people under the age of 13. But it's more of a legal thing. Of course, we disable to allow players to not have to deal with the annoyance, but topics such as those could definitely get us into trouble, seeing that a specific 12 year old member I know who plays uses the site all the time, and has an older brother that wouldn't appreciate her reading penis threads. I'm looking out for her really, and I happen to have a younger sister as well. Criticize me for being considerate.

If Staiain and Shikari, who I assume are putting this site together, want to offer me a position, I guess I'll take it. But if the site I'm working on does come out, I'll definitely be working on that one too. I want to post something from a thread very similar made on SMO. Of course, lyricalnick posted this as well, and it may as well be the same exact concept. Giving his thoughts on a lot of things to spur discussion. This was the second post, made by me.

Quote:
Operation Revival by ddrXero64

Project 1 - SPS - GIve community simfile artists some motivation to step. Lack of motivation has slowed down the pack projects, and too much free time and little support leads to loss of interest. With support, simfile artists are encouraged to step more songs. Mainstream artists are more likely to be stepped, bringing in (slowly) a newer user base with different musical tastes. Increase pack projects, simfile artists-to-be, and activity.

Project 2 - SRS - Unreleased project being worked on to provide an incentive for people to play on the server. Not just to go on and play, but something that will be worked towards. When released, it will be a continuous service, and free of charge to ALL players. It will take a bit more time than the SPS, but is continuously being worked on.

Project 3 - RGO - Bring third party help (non-profit) to improve SMO. Unity is a focus on the SMO communities, and will apply to this project as well. This project, though already started, is in its early steps of development. This too is being worked on, and will be the biggest of them all when released.

Project 4 - CPO - This is a project that has been put on hold. With the start of project 3, it may be resumed. It will focus on a new way to play SMO. This project is still fresh, but won't be started until later development of Project 3.

Many more projects may come, but it's all part of my revival effort to bring SMO back to what it once was and farther. I will not answer anymore than I have, but this is purely an effort to bring back the enjoyment of Stepmania Online. I'd like to point out that this multi-project idea was created by me when I realized how self-centered parts of the SM community can be. I reached out to multiple people, multiple sites, and not once did I get a friendly response. My purpose is what yours is, and that's to see SMO grow again. Because of these sites that exclude themselves, I created this idea and decided that if SMO is to become big again, then we'll do it ourselves. So far I was able to release one of my projects (smallest one). I am in the midst of project two, and project 3 is getting some action. If people can't unite, we'll unite them ourselves. We aren't the old site, and if we could manage to successfully earn CNLohr's (the original creator) trust, then I think we could carry on his work with some respect.
Thread: http://www.stepmaniaonline.eu/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1208

All of this holds true, and all of it is still happening. If you haven't seen anything else it's because I can't do anything. Things such as graphics, client development, server development, etc. are all out of my reach. So I've hit a wall, what do I do? Find the support and resources. Which is why I contacted the company representative today, and will be waiting for a response.

I always have ideas, and I'm always willing to scrap them if they aren't supported. I worked on the SPS for 2 months all on my own, and in the end the forum activity wasn't enough for it. Don't know if you've noticed, but I scrapped the entire forum for it and closed the project. It's hard letting go of 2 months of hard work. Especially when you know it could have gone farther.

The point is, I always have ideas and I always try to make things happen. Being in the position I'm in and going from forum nobody to admin of SMO, some people don't like the idea that a once noob is trying to revive a community he wasn't a part of for the first three years. Some people out there actually go out of their way to try and take me down, and it doesn't phase me. Who? I have my guesses, but I'm not here for that. Just figure it out for yourself, who posts here and who doesn't, who says certain things and who tries to sway the direction of the thread. It's all things I look at and keep to myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
also who the hell is ddrxero and why are his posts so big
Admin of SMO. My posts are big because I cover all of the stupid holes in logic as best as I can, because if there's something trolls are good at its pulling out the one biased comment in a huge post filled with great ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jousway View Post
also ddrxero let me warn you, if you make one " dumb" post on stepmania.com they will ban you
Who are you trying to warn, me or yourself? I haven't visited SM.com in over a month, and everything they offer I try to recreate. Guides, mirror links for downloads, etc. It's fairly obvious that after 3 unread PM's they don't feel like having a partnership with their online counterpart. Jousway, don't threaten me. There are XXXXXX other sites and games on the internet, and as I've said before, if the entire rhythm gaming community shut down right now, I'd move on with my life. I have other things I enjoy and other things I'm good at. I can only imagine how many people would treat this happening like the PSN going down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_Halogen View Post
so because he makes a huge post you get to say this
Valid point. But looking at what I've done for the community, and the content of my posts, I'm only trying to support the cause. I really don't want to ever keep a list of everything I've done since joining the community, but I think (or at least I hope) that what I do comes through as someone who genuinely wants better for the community.

That was a lot.

Last edited by ddrxero64; 04-29-2011 at 03:26 PM..
ddrxero64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:26 PM   #143
customstuff
♥C.S. + A.M.♥
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikari View Post
CS, as I said, getting rid of elitism is just a matter of "education". Lots of simfile makers from nowadays are willing to help this new community, I doubt they will be elitist about something that will be good for everyone inside Stepmania.
Yeah, I was just worried that we will keep leaning towards technicality over fun factor after a while. I'm sure it will start of fine in the beginning, but it almost seems to good to be true at the moment. It would definitely be amazing if this all works out though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMagic5239 View Post
Placements are final, custom will not be moved to D6, just because he is good at jacks, and mediocre at just about every other FMO in the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by customstuff View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMagic5239 View Post
welcome to D6

start playing
customstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:29 PM   #144
Jousway
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrxero64 View Post
Who are you trying to warn, me or yourself? I haven't visited SM.com in over a month, and everything they offer I try to recreate. Guides, mirror links for downloads, etc. It's fairly obvious that after 3 unread PM's they don't feel like having a partnership with their online counterpart. Jousway, don't threaten me. There are XXXXXX other sites and games on the internet, and as I've said before, if the entire rhythm gaming community shut down right now, I'd move on with my life. I have other things I enjoy and other things I'm good at. I can only imagine how many people would treat this happening like the PSN going down.
well I'm just warning you seeing that stepmania.com has AJ187 as an admin and shakesoda as an modrator and you already irritated them on the ssc irc, I'm just saying if you make one wrong move on stepmania.com I can promise you that they will take action against you :\

Jousway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:36 PM   #145
shakesoda
FFR Player

Quote:
well I'm just warning you seeing that stepmania.com has AJ187 as an admin and shakesoda as an modrator and you already irritated them on the ssc irc, I'm just saying if you make one wrong move on stepmania.com I can promise you that they will take action against you :\
Well, that makes me sound bad.

Just to clarify, I'm not such a bad admin as to ban people I simply don't like. I would take action against people treating other users badly regardless of my opinions of them however.

p.s. hi FFR
shakesoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:37 PM   #146
Jousway
FFR Player

hi shakesoda

Old 04-29-2011, 03:39 PM   #147
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I'm curious -- how much of this is a simple refueling of a community centered around stepchart creation and how much of this will involve reworking the way Stepmania operates?
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:43 PM   #148
ddrxero64
FFR Player

Quote:
At this point I'd like to ask you to explain to this community what exactly I've done to piss off anyone at SM.com

Seriously, without lying, tell them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
I'm curious -- how much of this is a simple refueling of a community centered around stepchart creation and how much of this will involve reworking the way Stepmania operates?
My project involves a new client, reworked server, and new feature that I've yet to announce (due to it's not guaranteed).My project is very risky, and there is no way I can guarantee anything. I think it's good a slow and safe revival go on with a new site, while I attempt to take the risk of starting something big. This way if I fail completely then I can thank Staiain, Shikari, and whoever else will help for keeping the community going.
ddrxero64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:44 PM   #149
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

In what way is it risky?
Old 04-29-2011, 03:45 PM   #150
Shikari
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Shikari Send a message via Skype™ to Shikari

Marcus, for both question, the answer is "pretty much".

This new community is not only centered on a file making "revolution", so to speak. It's about gameplay too, since we're going to try to implement some new features and some coming from osu!. The SM-SSC dev team wants to help with any kind of help, and since SSC is the future of Stepmania, it's quite a help. And it's about unification, because we don't need 29745342753260953543278 small Stepmania communities while we can have a whole nation of players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger View Post
Shikari for resident profile artist
Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:51 PM   #151
aj187
FFR Player

Quote:
At this point I'd like to ask you to explain to this community what exactly I've done to piss off anyone at SM.com

Personally, you made me mad by trying to go behind the rest of my team's back, thinking that you HAD to go through me to get things done with sm-ssc. I prefer to have the entire team in on discussions so that we can look at things from multiple angles.

edit:
Midiman can't find his account so I'm posting this for him:
<Midiman> freem_inc tell him
<Midiman> that he shouldnt try to corrupt a goddamn team lmao
<Midiman> the fact that I tried to help him and he didnt take, then still run around with this is still is a slap in the face
<Midiman> but then all off the sudden he wants to run around to you

Quote:
My project involves a new client, reworked server
and re-creating the rift in the StepMania community that happened upon 3.95's release, where a bunch of people decided that they won't switch over to more modern versions of StepMania.

___
on-topic: I support the main idea and Staiain knows that

Last edited by aj187; 04-29-2011 at 04:00 PM..
aj187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:51 PM   #152
Jousway
FFR Player

Quote:

I'm asking them personaly to tell you in this topic

Old 04-29-2011, 03:55 PM   #153
shakesoda
FFR Player

@ddrXero I am personally not irritated about anything, I don't get why you're giving Jousway such a hard time though.

Also, if people want a better community the way to do it isn't making new ones with their own clients to further fragment things. That only leads to wars over who is the best.
shakesoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:00 PM   #154
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

By "new client" are we talking something entirely different from Stepmania or simply a new iteration of Stepmania itself? Because the latter won't have a significantly negative impact, necessarily.

I think the best solution would be, ideally, to fuse the new community into the Stepmania application itself -- similar to the way that Steam operates.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:00 PM   #155
midimanXG
FFR Player

this situation is still funny. all you gotta do is improve the client to support a better server, simplest and most effective way to do it.

also hi ssc.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:01 PM   #156
Shikari
FFR Player

Guys, PLEASE don't turn this thread into an ego war.

ddrxero, you asked what was wrong about sm-ssc dev team, they answered, now please, let it go, and let start from zero, ok?

Let's keep the ideas coming. Shakesoda, the initial idea was making a new community to gather all the older ones, not to start this "who's best" war.

Edit: Dev team, thanks for coming to the thread and sharing your ideas, I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Old 04-29-2011, 04:04 PM   #157
DJMAYYYNE
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to DJMAYYYNE

Quote:
but topics such as those could definitely get us into trouble, seeing that a specific 12 year old member I know who plays uses the site all the time, and has an older brother that wouldn't appreciate her reading penis threads. I'm looking out for her really, and I happen to have a younger sister as well. Criticize me for being considerate.
Oh shit, I didn't know this was a personal thing, my bad bro. I don't criticize you, I just thought it was silly that you made such a big fuzz about it, but I realize that it was personal, my apologies.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:08 PM   #158
Shikari
FFR Player

On a random note: Kevo, I'm glad to see you participating in this thread too, man.

Quote:
Old 04-29-2011, 04:10 PM   #159
midimanXG
FFR Player

what i'd like to see is stepmania.com become a more generalized hub that supports most community at inbetween instead of specialized subcommunities, probably along the lines with smo server support ( smo info combined with regular forum info for example ).

shouldn't be too hard and it's super simple
Old 04-29-2011, 04:18 PM   #160
Jousway
FFR Player

well instead of starting an new community people could go to stepmania.com and do stuff there seeing that most people go there in the first place to check, also there is something new and quite cool on stepmania.com incase you havent seen it yet http://www.stepmania.com/wiki/StepMania_Micro