Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Make Crowdpleaser and Revolutionary Etude v1 files tokens and v2 files public?
Ya ʕノ•ᴥ•ʔノ 3 100.00%
Nop ノ( ゜-゜ノ) 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 01:06 AM   #141
emulord
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: DP/RATO move to tokens?

Im also part of the 1%. Mashing is fun. FCing hard shit is way more fun than AAAing.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:15 AM   #142
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Mashing makes my fingers hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
Charu the red-nosed Snivy
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You could even say it glows

All of the other Snivies
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Charu
Join in any Snivy games

(Click the arrow to see the rest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:21 AM   #143
mi40
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

or you know, you could just have fun without having to play with a certain style
Old 07-22-2013, 01:29 AM   #144
EzExZeRo7497
FFR Veteran

If you're mashing, you're not playing the file like the simfile artist is intending to by any means whatsoever

I fail to see the fun in quadmashing and jumptrilling for 3 minutes tbh
Old 07-22-2013, 01:52 AM   #145
Doug31
Falcon Paaaauuuunch!!!!!!

Send a message via AIM to Doug31

You just need to figure out how to mash better. You can mash with one hand while playing normal with the other, mash triplets, etc. It's not just those mashing.

And seeing that I use my offset so that I know when a hard part is coming and so that the first notes come at the right speed and I think I do better this way than with actually playing any of the songs how they were intended in the first place, it doesn't bother me to even more not play them how they were intended.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:57 AM   #146
arcnmx
nanodesu~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to arcnmx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0 View Post
get rid of all the fgos because i'm bad at them
Seriously this. The leaderboards are meaningless for all scores sub-AAA (yes, slight exaggeration, sub-SDG), just because the top tier players don't need to worry about this fact except for two or three songs doesn't mean removing them solves anything. A real solution involving raw scoring and a ranking system that includes token files as well would be nice.

However, I'm still for making them tokens simply because they're bad and new players flock to them.

FMO AAAs (1): Within Life :: FGO AAAs (1): Einstein-Rosen Bridge

Last edited by arcnmx; 07-22-2013 at 02:01 AM..
Old 07-22-2013, 02:00 AM   #147
andy-o24
Private Messages, please.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to andy-o24

When I first started FFR, I mashed the hard files. 1. Because they were fun/had good music (subjective, but I enjoy them still) and 2. Because I was complete trash at this game. But through all of that mashing I slowly developed the ability to read streams and now I am a half-way decent player. Mashing has it's merits for those just starting and these mashable files are great for that.

I'd rather see them stay public, but if they become tokens, I hope the requirements aren't too extreme. I like having those files to wear me out even if I'm not blatantly mashing them.

-o24
Old 07-22-2013, 02:02 AM   #148
mi40

when ddr was made

you werent supposed to mash all 4 receptors randomly at hard parts

yep
Old 07-22-2013, 02:16 AM   #149
Doug31

And yet, some people probably tried. Anyway, this isn't DDR. When I stepped songs I didn't think about my intentions as to how people played them. I don't care at all if someone mashes Angelic Layer. I do not see any way that it hurts anyone.

I like arcnmx's idea. We should come up with a new ranking system that we can't just artificially change in some way like this to make ourselves look better.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:54 AM   #150
mi40

dang it's really hard to appeal to a group of slowly diminishing players i guess
Old 07-22-2013, 03:18 AM   #151
NeoMasterPie
Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug31
Go go Baka Rangers!!!!!

Old 07-22-2013, 03:23 AM   #152
Frank Munoz
Vophie
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

hold up,
Mashing balls hard files made me better at this damn game.
I learned to vibrate-mash at parts that I felt were impossible, but it helped bring my vibrating up
then i utilized my mashing into smart mashing
from there I finally began to aaa files for the first time because I had the speed and the experience of how advanced patterns looked and felt.

iono, i also feel that if we were to keep all the "high tier" files hidden from the public,
especially newcomers,
it would impact them into thinking that there is nothing harder than the placed cutoff(i'm guessing like masters or something)
What I find so great about ffr is that it keeps pushing you. It's a long ass journey, no doubt, but that journey taught me a few fxcking things in life.

also ffr mashing taught me how to finger fuck a girl js
Old 07-22-2013, 03:27 AM   #153
popsicle_3000
Legendary Noob

Send a message via Skype™ to popsicle_3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Munoz View Post
also ffr mashing taught me how to finger fuck a girl js
rofl

but yeah, mashing is gay. and they would be easy to get tokens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
39,000 popsicles pro bg blue note arrow slayer whoa damn..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
one way to stream them all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Right after sex, it skillboosted me by +10 levels from like a 35-45 about. (Which then 15 min's later I got really tired and couldn't play anymore)

But then my lady friend got pissed off I was playing FFR instead of playing her. Then for the rest of the night she played the 'Only want me for my body' card and I didn't get to sleep with blankets that night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesunfan View Post
replacing ifitypedhisnameaslargeashisnamesuggests,iwouldgetbanned with theelongatedaustrocanadian3000 (pop).
Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben_tate View Post
Title: Popsicle Three

Thousand the farthest
He's gone in an official
Whoop hip hip hooray!
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
kjwkjw: "oh my god, Tosh. Post that in the thread."

@popsicle_3000:
Danger incoming
The popsicles are melting
Three thousand of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
you got to ease the topic into some conversation and let it go from there

dynam0: man friend that was an intense sm session right?
friend: haha yeah you really nailed those patterns
dynam0: yeah man kind of like how gay dudes nail other gay dudes in the ass!
friend: hey bro can i tell you something
dynam0 yeah man whats up?
friend: hypothetically speaking would you care if i was bisexual or maybe even gay?
dynam0: bro we shower together after sm sessions all the time and i'll still shower with you even if you are gay or w/e thats your thing just dont try to ram my ass HAHAHA
friend: thanks man
dynam0: no problem man
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
pop takin' time out of playing irl Trauma Center to check in on his fiffer buds (mm)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Well, Popsicle won every award this year so it was canceled.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:30 AM   #154
mi40

damn whatever happened to hitting notes the way they were meant to be
Old 07-22-2013, 03:33 AM   #155
EzExZeRo7497
FFR Veteran

People have the intention of mashing to FC and get the file out of the levelranks, not to improve. Usually you'd improve faster but playing something a little over your skill level instead of just files way out of your league. If you managed to improve just by heavily mashing everything, that's great but it doesn't really help out that much to begin with.

The hardest (public) files aside from DP and RATO are Jamais Vu, Rave7, do i smile?, Extratone Pirates, Husigi Usagi Milk Tei, Winter Wind Etude and some others I can't name off the top of my head. Even the majority of the active community have trouble hitting those files, so the "placed cutoff" is a lot higher than you think it is haha.

okay brb hiromi

ps get back on topic please.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:41 AM   #156
Doug31

Even without these, most of us that intend to FC 99% of public songs have to mash a whole bunch of them. I already see much more of the game not being played the way it was meant to be because of that than because of these 2 songs. I don't think removing these two songs would help much in that category. And how could you forget Revo as one of the hardest public songs?
Old 07-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #157
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx View Post
But then Dossar has 20's goods, and the best players still have the best scores on both files. I would like to have more files on which I could only get like 50 goods FCs so I could try to improve and lower that to 30 then 20 etc. Maybe I'm being silly because Yes there aren't many players with this problem but I think my point still holds.
The point is that most players can never hope to begin worrying about splitting those kinds of hairs. It's so far outside their skill levels that they have to mash it and get the sort of dumpscores you see in the current distribution.

It'd make more sense to just move things like RATO to token and then introduce more files that level out the difficulty gradient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug31 View Post
I don't see what's wrong with having a mash a file. Mashing is arguably more fun than playing the game normally. I also like to play songs that are too fast for me and attempt to do them anyway. Yeah, I miss a lot, but then I feel like I do better when I go back to some other song that was just slightly too hard for me. I think the hard songs have really helped me out in this game. I really hope at least some really hard songs are public.

And for multiplayer, I think it's nice to be able to see how good your opponent can do on a hard song. I wouldn't want to play someone that could AAA every song I had.
Mashing being more fun than actually playing is not exactly a majority view, nor is it the standard way to play most files.

There's a difference between hard songs and retardedly hard songs for virtually any user. RATO (and really, DP too) is an outlier on too many statistical metrics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug31 View Post
Even without these, most of us that intend to FC 99% of public songs have to mash a whole bunch of them. I already see much more of the game not being played the way it was meant to be because of that than because of these 2 songs. I don't think removing these two songs would help much in that category. And how could you forget Revo as one of the hardest public songs?
This also isn't really true. Yeah, some users will mash everything just to get that token or whatever, but for the most part, people actually play the files. Sometimes they may have to mash a particularly tough section to keep the FC, but it's not like they're mashing the entire damn file like most need to do with DP and RATO.

Revo is also not a good example because MANY players can PA it without needing to mash. The distribution is pretty clean, especially considering its difficulty: http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...s.php?level=31

That file was more of a threat back in the avmiss days.

Last edited by Reincarnate; 07-22-2013 at 08:31 AM..
Old 07-22-2013, 09:36 AM   #158
Zapmeister
FFR Player

we mash, just because we can.

(public mashed fcs: 183)

Theorem: If you have a large enough number of monkeys, and a large enough number of computer keyboards, one of them will sight-read AAA death piano on stealth. And the ffr community will forever worship it. Proof Example

ask me anything here

mashed FCs: 329

r1: 5
r2: 4
r3: 6
r4: 8
r5: 3
r6: 5
r7: 15
final position: 4th
Old 07-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #159
James May
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by emulord View Post
Im also part of the 1%. Mashing is fun. FCing hard shit is way more fun than AAAing.
But it also makes your score look horrible

Old 07-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #160
foxfire667
The FFRchiver
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcnmx View Post
Seriously this. The leaderboards are meaningless for all scores sub-AAA (yes, slight exaggeration, sub-SDG), just because the top tier players don't need to worry about this fact except for two or three songs doesn't mean removing them solves anything. A real solution involving raw scoring and a ranking system that includes token files as well would be nice.
This is very true. If you have to mash sections to keep combo in any situation, the representation of skill that would have been shown by your play through is pretty much lost. It's too bad that getting a miss weighs so heavily on your scores, and boos weigh so little.

Though nothing will ever be done about combo scoring, so I guess we're trying to tackle these two files in particular. Considering it seems not even most in D7 can play the files and have the results actually mean something skill wise. Thanks though, DP/RATO tokens woo!