Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Stepmania > Simulator Files
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2014, 06:21 PM   #121
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Yolomania Vol. 3 Submissions Open!

rog's died this way is a minedodge file
bmah's smoke is a minedodge file
0/lg's fmaxx is a minedodge file
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:30 PM   #122
Wafles
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to Wafles

I'll have to play those, from my experience messing around with making this file I quite like minedodge files.

My file at least felt like something different to me, though I've gotten some mixed opinions on it for sure.
Wafles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:32 PM   #123
DigitalS3r4ph
I'm Tsuka
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to DigitalS3r4ph Send a message via MSN to DigitalS3r4ph

You should rename yaself to Minedodge or something.

The file doesn't look that bad actually; it looks fun, though I'd turn the mines off probably.

PM me if you find the secret.
DigitalS3r4ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:37 PM   #124
Wafles
FFR Player

Turning the mines off unfortunately makes it boring and long in my opinion. The mines kind of act as a neat way to force you to pay very close attention and it ends up being mentally challenging more than anything else. I'm considering doing a second difficulty with no minijacks and toned down layering (but still just as many mines).
Old 05-17-2014, 07:27 PM   #125
DigitalS3r4ph
I'm Tsuka
FFR Simfile Author

My gripe with that is that it artificially makes the chart harder in an attempt to make it more interesting. Traditionally mines are used when they go to a certain aspect of the song; not just thrown in there like a minedump. But to each their own. I would still just turn it off. Guess that makes it a boring file. :P Or maybe this is some kind of new trend for stepping files?

Last edited by DigitalS3r4ph; 05-17-2014 at 07:32 PM..
Old 05-17-2014, 07:34 PM   #126
rCaliberGX
D7 Elite Keymasher
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalS3r4ph View Post
Or maybe this is some kind of new trend for stepping files?
no

Released!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
you look like you're dSucks
rCaliberGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:03 PM   #127
choof
Banned

a lot of people are indeed using mines in their files, but they use them sparingly for expression, they use them badly (like wafles file), or they go totally overboard and make something unplayable
Old 05-17-2014, 08:03 PM   #128
choof
Banned

oh hey another good example is cetaka's dream to nightmare
Old 05-17-2014, 08:28 PM   #129
Alioth
Banned

OK making fixes to red-rize right now

Edit: Fixed & sent~

Last edited by Alioth; 05-17-2014 at 08:40 PM..
Alioth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:38 PM   #130
Wafles
FFR Player

[blazken & Leo137] Angel of Darkness - Accepted
Cool jumpstream chart. Both charts have their own merits, Leo's obviously much more aggressive and the main chart but blaziken's works for an easier alternative and there's not much to complain about for either file. I like.

[Leo137] Baby I - Accepted
Only real complaint I can imagine saying here is that the chart is a bit long for what it is, though the song and steps are really well done. Interesting song choice as well, definitely adds something unique to the pack.

[Yulanik] Chemical Star - Accepted
Cute and easy file. It works and is quite fun despite how easy it is. I imagine newer players will like this a lot.

[Sanic] Codename Zero - Rejected
I don't really see the appeal here. The 24ths are awkwardly difficult compared to just plain 8th notes for the vast majority of the file. It just doesn't cater to anyone and I can't see people really replaying this ever, sorry.

[blaziken] Dear You - Accepted
Fun MA file. I know for sure personally I'll be grinding out attempts on this for a decent MA AAA, I think others will feel the same.

[Yulanik] Entropy - Conditional
I can see leaving the current chart as an easier version and then stepping some more sounds to create a harder second chart, but just by itself the omitted sounds are just a bit too glaring and somewhat inconsistent across the file. Let me know if you need specific examples, there's too many to name individually. For this to be accepted in the future I think the omitted sounds need to be acknowledged in a lot of places, either keeping it as one difficulty or adding a second is up to you.

[Leo137] Guitar Hero/Through the Darkness - Accepted
UK Hardcore = <3. Super fun file for me, feels like a more grown up version of the Guitar Hero chart in FFRCP4 and that alone warrants insta-accept from me.

[Leo137] Hearbeatz - Accepted
More nightcore! I'm a fan, another awesome solid js file. <3

[Zephei] Misanthrope - Accepted
Absolutely godlike file. Some people might not like the song very much but personally I thought it was great. Super stoked to have this in the pack.

[Yulanik] Star Girl and the Fantasy Cinema - Conditional
This is probably in the same boat as entropy. Its an improvement from the first version for sure but there's still a lot of missing sounds that could either be used to make a harder difficulty or to improve the quality of this difficulty. If you want to talk on Skype about this file and/or Entropy just add me and we can talk.

[Rog] Untitled DJ Tool - Rejected
File goes off sync towards the end, also plays like ass on cmod thanks to the negative bpm gimmicks. Could maybe be cleaned up to be acceptable but its just not working right now. Unfortunately this might be best saved for an xmod exclusive pack (that is, if another one even happens). Could be toned down to work but I'm still hesitant to put conditional on this one, sorry bud.

We were just about to post these and then Rog sent 7 files so we decided to review those today too. Talk about huge review batch jesus christ lol.

[Rog] Dirty Vibe - Accepted
Intro might be a tad long but beyond that this file is cool as hell. Really cool song choice, I'm digging it.

[Rog] Minus One - Accepted
These jacks are cool. Another sick file. The little xmod bits here and there definitely add to the experience, and the song is once again quite unique compared to everything else we have.

[Rog] Must Destroy - Accepted
This xmod file works. It definitely works. Sick file, I would love to see some cool xmod scores on this from people. Plays and looks good on cmod as well.

[who_cares937 + dood gone krazee + Rog] Printer Jam - Accepted
Definitely a novelty file. Super technical and amusing, albeit not the most replayable due to the song but this is definitely cool and worth having.

[Rog] Revolution - Accepted
This is cool as hell. Song choice is awesome and not even close to anything else currently in the pack, and those jacks are just awesome. Love it.

[Rog] Skytoucher - Accepted
That minedodge section looks and feels so awesome. Top rate file once again.

[Rog] Sylvan Fairy's Dance - Accepted
What is this? Yolomania 3: SMOC edition? The harder chart has crazy intense jacks everywhere and its just plain awesome. Definite props for including an easier difficulty because the harder one is quite the challenge. This is another awesome addition to the pack and a sick t+pazolite file to boot.

In general Rog your files were an absolute treat. Super stoked to have these in the pack and I'm very very impressed at the kinds of variety you managed to find compared to the stuff we normally step. Major props man, <3. Just as an FYI - we will cut the audio files that you left as their full length, though we wont cut until after the game fades the audio out anyway (and we'll just fade out at that point too so its not abrupt anyway). Just a note, shouldn't be a problem I imagine. Its also worth mentioning here that I really did try to find mistakes in your files but everything I saw could be interpreted as layering decisions, consistency wise I didn't notice anything, so that's impressive in and of itself across 7 files.

Okay damn that was a lot of reviews. I do kind of wonder how big this is going to end up getting, we're a bit over 50 files at the moment (I swear I'll update the OP today), and we're only a little over 1/3rd of the way done with this pack time wise (I think we're on day 34 of 103, where day 103 = release day). I'm excited at how this is progressing so far and it'll be interesting to see what everyone thinks of this. Hopefully I get some good graphics help this time lol.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:42 PM   #131
Wafles
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
a lot of people are indeed using mines in their files, but they use them sparingly for expression, they use them badly (like wafles file), or they go totally overboard and make something unplayable
Yeah, generally I only use them for that purpose as well. This song was an experiment that I thought turned out kind of neat, I'm not surprised others will disagree. It also has some layering issues that will be sorted out by release, mostly small consistency things and a couple sections that don't feel quite right.

I've also gotten some feedback saying it plays a lot better than it looks so I guess we'll see if I'm wrong and it is a complete ass file that doesn't work, though last time I tried experimenting on a file kind of like this it also got mixed reviews, either strongly negative or strongly positive, I'm guessing this will be similar to that.

Quote:
My gripe with that is that it artificially makes the chart harder in an attempt to make it more interesting. Traditionally mines are used when they go to a certain aspect of the song; not just thrown in there like a minedump. But to each their own. I would still just turn it off. Guess that makes it a boring file. :P Or maybe this is some kind of new trend for stepping files?
Its not artificially harder though, its technically harder as well. Whether or not it makes it more interesting is another argument but from a technical perspective avoiding mines like this is difficult, just not in the traditional stepmania fashion of difficult.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:44 PM   #132
choof
Banned

you literally played an xmod file on cmod and then rejected it because it plays like shit on cmod
Old 05-17-2014, 08:47 PM   #133
Wafles
FFR Player

Right. That happened. Most people who play these packs play on cmod, this isn't the first time I've rejected an xmod file for not being playable on cmod. I'm not willing to accept xmod files that don't work on cmod, sorry.

It also drifts offsync on xmod so that doesn't help either.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:49 PM   #134
DigitalS3r4ph
I'm Tsuka
FFR Simfile Author

HahahaWafles 2cool4sk00l

if people put in the effort to make an XMOD file with bpm tricks, I would have probably accepted on that merit as long as it was fun.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:53 PM   #135
Wafles
FFR Player

That's just my opinion and others might disagree, I just can't reasonably put a file in these packs if it doesn't work well on cmod. I should probably add that to the rules. The file is a good xmod file, don't get me wrong, thats just how I stand on this issue.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:58 PM   #136
DigitalS3r4ph
I'm Tsuka
FFR Simfile Author

That's fine bro, let's just reject perfectly fine files because yolo.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:59 PM   #137
Leo137
FFR Player

You should check the Mosaic file in SMOC, i think it's inspired on it because its the same anyoing minedodgin style xd

Im glad you liked the files i sent! pretty much i love UK hardcore haha, so maybe should do more for this, perhaps something more j-core oriented this time! (tano*c, a-remix nation and stuff)
Leo137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:02 PM   #138
Wafles
FFR Player

Quote:
let's just reject perfectly fine files because yolo.
Not that I need to argue this point any further but no, the file isn't perfectly fine. The vast majority of players use cmod and if a file doesn't work well on cmod then a lot of people can't play it.

Done talking about it, its a rule we've used before and its a rule we will continue to use in the future. I just can't justify including files that don't work with the way that most people play Stepmania.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo137 View Post
You should check the Mosaic file in SMOC, i think it's inspired on it because its the same anyoing minedodgin style xd

Im glad you liked the files i sent! pretty much i love UK hardcore haha, so maybe should do more for this, perhaps something more j-core oriented this time! (tano*c, a-remix nation and stuff)
Funny story, I actually asked Skwid to play the file on stream so I could see someone legitimately attempt to do it (I can't pass it) and he played Mosaic to warm up. Very similar style but I didn't draw any inspiration from it considering I didn't see it until after I finished my file lol

And hells yeah, I love your files man, they never disappoint to be solid and super fun JS files
Old 05-17-2014, 09:05 PM   #139
DigitalS3r4ph
I'm Tsuka
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wafles View Post
Not that I need to argue this point any further but no, the file isn't perfectly fine. The vast majority of players use cmod and if a file doesn't work well on cmod then a lot of people can't play it.

Done talking about it, its a rule we've used before and its a rule we will continue to use in the future. I just can't justify including files that don't work with the way that most people play Stepmania.
It's called putting "X-Mod" only in the banner or in the subtitle for the song. That's a really elitist attitude to have especially considering a majority of the files you've made are overlayered 'dumps' or whatever people call it nowadays. P.S - Aside from C200 and C400, most people by default only have different X-Mods available to them, thus invalidating your point that most people play C-Mods. I'd almost like to try this file out myself just to see how rejectable it is, lol.

Last edited by DigitalS3r4ph; 05-17-2014 at 09:40 PM..
Old 05-17-2014, 09:07 PM   #140
Alioth
Banned

arguments over xmod = ver legit
Alioth is offline   Reply With Quote