Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2003, 07:40 PM   #101
scorpio1690
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to scorpio1690 Send a message via MSN to scorpio1690

Quote:
Originally Posted by QreepyBORIS
Nice try, a red giant implodes into a blue giant....
Really? Cause I thought that it was mainly dependant on the size of the star when it explodes or implodes. So different paths can be taken, some don't reach Red Giant, but what was it that sometimes takes the path of a black hole?

And VxDx, grade 8 cirriculum, I'm not smart enough to understand what the hell any of that site. I can grasp a couple sentences...If I try I could probably come up with more, but I don't want to have to think that hard about what I'm reading. (Hence the lazy factor)
scorpio1690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 07:51 PM   #102
QreepyBORIS
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to QreepyBORIS Send a message via MSN to QreepyBORIS

It's blue giants that turn into supernovas/neutron stars, typically.

Signature subject to change.

THE ZERRRRRG.
QreepyBORIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 08:46 PM   #103
scorpio1690
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by QreepyBORIS
It's blue giants that turn into supernovas/neutron stars, typically.
Quote:
The Protostar Stage:

A giant star will start its life out, like so many other stars, as a protostar. The difference is that a protostar that will eventually form a giant star starts 100 times larger in diameter than the Sun (approx. 139 000 000 km or 86 000 000 miles) and at least 3 times the mass of the Sun (approx. 2 x 1030 kg or 6 x 1027 tons). It contracts in on itself due to the gravity created by its enormous mass, and quickly heats up. In a matter of a few thousand years, the protostar becomes a Blue Giant. Nuclear fusion starts in the core at 7 000 000 K, creating isotopes of Hydrogen (see the advanced Proton-Proton fusion reactions page for a more technical look at the first fusion process). The outer layer of the star is already heated to 3000 K and will become warmer.

The Blue Giant Stage:

The giant star has now contracted to only 6 times the diameter of our Sun (approx. 8 000 000 km or 5 000 000 miles), their surface temperature is now over 4 times hotter than that of the Sun, 23 000 K, and this is only a temporary position! A blue giant will last for a maximum of 100 million years, during which it will fuse its Hydrogen into Helium at a speed of over 20 trillion tons per second, that's more than 16 000 times faster than the Sun! The amount of heat produced by this rate of reactions is enormous! The star now definitely appears a blue-white colour, and doesn't belong to the line of main-sequence stars, but rather to the upper right corner of the Hertzprung-Russell Diagram. As more Helium is produced, fusion slows down in the core, allowing it to be compressed by gravity. This compression actually increases the core temperature, causing the expansion of the outer Hydrogen layers of the star. The star doubles in size, the outer layers cool, and it starts another stage.

The Red Giant Stage:

The blue giant has now expanded to a red giant, and continues to expand as the core is compressed more. Not very many interesting things going on at this time. The core temperature steadily increases to 100 000 000 K as it continues to grow into the next stage.

The Supergiant Stage:

The Helium core of the red giant continues to contract, and during that contraction it ignites a couple shells of Hydrogen around the core when the temperatures reach 10 000 000 K. This new layer of fusion, and the heat created by it, accelerates the expansion of the star to the supergiant stage. The supergiant is back to 100 times the size of the sun (see above) and will continue to grow! When compression of the Helium core raises the temperature to 100 000 000 K, the Helium contained in it begins to fuse together into Carbon. This new addition to the fusion reactions in the core of the star balloons its size to over 300 times the diameter of the Sun (over 420 000 000 km or 260 000 000 miles)! The giant's mass will continue to compress its core, starting new fusion reactions, eventually leading to the creation of an Iron core. To see the advanced reactions, click here. The Iron core will not compress to fuse into other elements, because of Iron's atomic structure. Iron has one of the most efficient structure of all elements, therefore making it very difficult to undergo fusion. Iron does undergo fusion, but not at the temperature found inside of any star, no matter how large the star is!
Old 12-10-2003, 10:26 PM   #104
jpyb007
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to jpyb007 Send a message via MSN to jpyb007

This is pertaining the first few pages. (Sorry, but I normally try to avoid the popular posts since they normally turn into flame wars.)

Isn't it possible that because of the conditions of Earth, we need certain substances, molecules, and whatnot present to habitate life. But on a planet with completely different condions, life would need to use other types of substances, molecules, and whatnot to provide for a specific type of lifeform that is suited to live with those kinds of conditions. We may not be able to "make" these types of creatures, but that is because of the environmental conditions of Earth. The organisms may die/explode when exposed to oxygen, a certain amount of gravity, a certain amount of air pressure, or maybe even a specific humidity level, so they would not be able to be created on Earth or observed on Earth. Life on Earth may require water, but maybe the life on the other planet uses something completely different...although I don't know what it would use, I don't really feel like going too deep into this stuff since it was already debated.

Infinity/infinity would equal 1, since anything divided by itself is 1, for example 12/12=1 just like 10000/10000=1 or even googleplex/googleplex=1...right?
Old 12-10-2003, 10:39 PM   #105
scorpio1690
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpyb007
This is pertaining the first few pages. (Sorry, but I normally try to avoid the popular posts since they normally turn into flame wars.)

Isn't it possible that because of the conditions of Earth, we need certain substances, molecules, and whatnot present to habitate life. But on a planet with completely different condions, life would need to use other types of substances, molecules, and whatnot to provide for a specific type of lifeform that is suited to live with those kinds of conditions. We may not be able to "make" these types of creatures, but that is because of the environmental conditions of Earth. The organisms may die/explode when exposed to oxygen, a certain amount of gravity, a certain amount of air pressure, or maybe even a specific humidity level, so they would not be able to be created on Earth or observed on Earth. Life on Earth may require water, but maybe the life on the other planet uses something completely different...although I don't know what it would use, I don't really feel like going too deep into this stuff since it was already debated.

Infinity/infinity would equal 1, since anything divided by itself is 1, for example 12/12=1 just like 10000/10000=1 or even googleplex/googleplex=1...right?
In that post you have brought one new fact to our attention. Infinity divided by infinity could not eequal one seeing how infinity is everlasting and goes on forever, therefore, in order to KNOW that infinity divided by infinity equals one is by giving it a numerical value like

67, 3456, 3478, 9562, 3789, 4562, 7895, 6347, 8956, 7863, 4789, 5623, 4789

Therefore it defeats it's own definition, because infinity goes on forever. In fact, infinity divided by infinity could equal something like -5. I forget the theory, but it states that there are different levels of infinity. Like, there are moer decimal places between 1 and 2 then there are positive numbers between 1 and a billion. Therefore, between 1 and 2 there is one type of infinity and between one and god knows what there is another level of infinity. Thus making infinity divided my infinity able to equal anything.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:09 PM   #106
Varia
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Varia Send a message via MSN to Varia Send a message via Yahoo to Varia

What I find very interesting is that between 1 and 2, there is an infinite amount of decimals. The same with .000005 and .000006 . Infinity within infinity and then infinity within that blahblahblah.

As for the whole space ending thing, I just find it kind of hard to believe. Would there just be a big sign there that says "SORRY! YOU HAVE REACHED THE END! PLEASE GO HOME!" or maybe just a big wall. But then what if someone broke that wall? Then they fell out and saw all the other marbles and realized "Damn...I have been living my life inside a marble. I wish I could live in that marble...". I know that is just ridiculous exaggeration, but it's just for fun.

I also do not think that anything is impossible. I mean really, if there is infinity, the most impossible thing ever, surely you could be able to do a backflip off a 10 story building into your car and drive to the moon. Logical? No. Possible? Yes.

ARE YOU HOMOSEXUAL?

I THINK SO
Varia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 11:17 PM   #107
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird

Nice Men In Black quote.

The idea of the universe just ending is insane...and even more insane is they idea of it going on forever. There is a theory that states that the universe is a sphere...therefore it does not have an end. But what is beyond that?
jewpinthethird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 11:19 PM   #108
Varia
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Varia Send a message via MSN to Varia Send a message via Yahoo to Varia

What? Men In Black Quote?

Hah, nevermind. The marble thing...I didn't even realize it.

ARE YOU HOMOSEXUAL?

I THINK SO
Old 12-10-2003, 11:23 PM   #109
ultimategamer
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio1690
Quote:

In that post you have brought one new fact to our attention. Infinity divided by infinity could not eequal one seeing how infinity is everlasting and goes on forever, therefore, in order to KNOW that infinity divided by infinity equals one is by giving it a numerical value like

Therefore it defeats it's own definition, because infinity goes on forever. In fact, infinity divided by infinity could equal something like -5. I forget the theory, but it states that there are different levels of infinity. Like, there are moer decimal places between 1 and 2 then there are positive numbers between 1 and a billion. Therefore, between 1 and 2 there is one type of infinity and between one and god knows what there is another level of infinity. Thus making infinity divided my infinity able to equal anything.
Your are right scorp. In calculus (i'm getting into calc III next term) infinity/infinity is unacceptable. Thus, when we get it in an equation like, lets say Lim(X infinity) of (x)/(e^x) normally you would get infinity over infinity. However, w/ some calculus your able to get the answer that its actually 0.
ultimategamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 11:29 PM   #110
Cenright
You thought I was a GUY?!
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Location: Beaumont (A town with 25 times fewer people than this site)
Send a message via AIM to Cenright Send a message via MSN to Cenright Send a message via Yahoo to Cenright

ah. e^x and ln x. Those were the days of crazyness. On the inf/inf thing, i like to think of them as at differents rates of speed that they are closing in on. If they are the same rate, you get zero. I like to think of them as the relative speed concept. Then you can get numbers, even if the rate thing doens't actually work as a true theory.
Cenright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 11:31 PM   #111
QreepyBORIS
FFR Player

Infinity still isnt a fucking number.

Infinity/infinity=infinity.

I maintain.

THE ZERRRRRG.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:31 PM   #112
scorpio1690
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimategamer
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio1690
Quote:

Your are right scorp. In calculus (i'm getting into calc III next term) infinity/infinity is unacceptable. Thus, when we get it in an equation like, lets say Lim(X infinity) of (x)/(e^x) normally you would get infinity over infinity. However, w/ some calculus your able to get the answer that its actually 0.
Well......I'm in grade 8..... I get Math 8....... That's about as far as I go..... But if I'm right I think I put it into like....understandable terms, and not all.... Physic's and shit with letters actually standing for things..... Wtf's Calculus? Like, I know what it is, just, could I have a definition of why it exists and what it's purpose is?
Old 12-10-2003, 11:34 PM   #113
QreepyBORIS
FFR Player

CAlculus blows my mind...I dont understand it.

Geometry is my limits right now. And only Euclidian at that.

THE ZERRRRRG.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:40 PM   #114
Varia
FFR Player

By standard mathematical terms, infinity/infinity=1

Now, I think we all know that calculus isn't normal math. But, if I am not correct, then we add another thing to the list of things we are taught in school that end up being lies. I think that's probably it. Also, do you people in calculus truly believe all those things? Or do you just accept them, because if you don't, you fail the class? Or maybe it's because you are supposed to believe what your teacher says to be right is right? Or (insert other).

ARE YOU HOMOSEXUAL?

I THINK SO
Old 12-10-2003, 11:42 PM   #115
Cenright
You thought I was a GUY?!
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Location: Beaumont (A town with 25 times fewer people than this site)
Send a message via AIM to Cenright Send a message via MSN to Cenright Send a message via Yahoo to Cenright

It is obvious you haven't taken calculus. Either that or you failed it, but I'm guessing the first.
Cenright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 11:43 PM   #116
Varia
FFR Player

I've never taken it. I was assuming and I believe i've made an ass of myself. Yeah, that's it.

ARE YOU HOMOSEXUAL?

I THINK SO
Old 12-10-2003, 11:52 PM   #117
scorpio1690
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varia
By standard mathematical terms, infinity/infinity=1
But standard mathematical terms are round and even so anyone can grasp it. "Standard" mathematical terms could make you offtrack by billions if you really think that infinity/infinity=1 when I just went through a huge explination on how it can't be one based on the different levels. Were they those alif not, alif one, and beyond? I forget.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:00 AM   #118
Varia
FFR Player

It's cool, because I can be wrong and then pointed in the right direction. It's like guess and check, except there's more guessing on my part, and even more people yelling at me for saying something wrong. People learn a lot from these kind of threads. Not "wow that is so cool for 5 seconds i'll go play ps2 and forget about it forever", but more along the lines of "Wow, that is amazing. Maybe I should rethink how I percieve the world".

ARE YOU HOMOSEXUAL?

I THINK SO
Old 12-11-2003, 12:05 AM   #119
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird

Because infinity isnt an exact "number" you cannot divide by it. Infinity is just the idea of a never ending.

I am not going to learn any math past Advance Algebra. I have no need for it, and I dont care. But I do believe caculus is the art of making sh*t up as you go along.
jewpinthethird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 12:10 AM   #120
scorpio1690
FFR Player

Quote:
Calculus

Mathematics \Math`e*mat"ics\, n. [F. math['e]matiques, pl., L. mathematica, sing., Gr. ? (sc. ?) science. See Mathematic, and -ics.] That science, or class of sciences, which treats of the exact relations existing between quantities or magnitudes, and of the methods by which, in accordance with these relations, quantities sought are deducible from other quantities known or supposed; the science of spatial and quantitative relations.

Note: Mathematics embraces three departments, namely: 1. Arithmetic. 2. Geometry, including Trigonometry and Conic Sections. 3. Analysis, in which letters are used, including Algebra, Analytical Geometry, and Calculus. Each of these divisions is divided into pure or abstract, which considers magnitude or quantity abstractly, without relation to matter; and mixed or applied, which treats of magnitude as subsisting in material bodies, and is consequently interwoven with physical considerations.
Now.... English? I understand that letters of the english and greek alphabet stand for objects of this universe like time, energy, mass, consumption etc. But how are they worked into equations. Would it be... Wait a sec...... I think I have something *ponders...Runs to get planner to find which letters equal what*

Bah, stupid planner disproving my thoughts. I was thinking physics, not calc. So.... Someone explain thsi to me, I'm to lazy to go outback into my garage and ask my bro...

Off Topic: OMG OMG OMG WE JUST STARTED.....VOLUME AND AREA OF SURFACES IN MATH SO HARD!!!!!11!1!ONE11!