Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2011, 03:46 AM   #81
smartdude1212
2 is poo
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Test your vocab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
Anyway, from section 1: I missed vibrissae.

In section 2: I missed prig, manacle, sobriquet (wtf?), Lothario (never seen), svelte, potboiler (unexpected definition), bibulous (unexpected definition), embonpoint (wtf!?), cenacle, fuliginious (I guessed woody or smoky. I didn't count it), williwaw (I guessed commotion, though, I didn't count it either), caitiff, pule.
Reach, I'm surprised that you didn't know some of these! I knew prig (see: managers at McDonald's), sobriquet (I find it obscurely funny), svelte (because it used to bother me all the time when I'd see it in a novel and think that it was some sort of European nationality), bibulous (Latin: bibere), cenacle (Latin: cenaculum), and pule (don't know how).

That reminds me, and I don't think I've asked you this before: Have you ever taken any Latin courses? Surely it would satisfy your inner logophile. I would often sit in the lecture and flip through the textbook with an expression of astonishment on my face as I associated Latin words with their English equivalents and think "hot damn this is just awesome stuff."

I wouldn't mind learning some Greek as well -- I'm all about the etymological side of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshark View Post
People I've never considered to be even mid-level thinkers are getting unusually high scores on this.

Not like anything is stopping you guys from checking nearly all the boxes and all.
lol FFR

Anyway, disappointed that I didn't see words like bowdlerization or eleemosynary or quomodocunquize (this is a mouthful) in that test.

Last edited by smartdude1212; 07-29-2011 at 03:54 AM..
smartdude1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:47 AM   #82
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
People I've never considered to be even mid-level thinkers are getting unusually high scores on this.

Not like anything is stopping you guys from checking nearly all the boxes and all.
This reminds me of a test I saw somewhere about personality and you could get 100% on every aspect just by checking "Always"
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:07 AM   #83
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to darkshark Send a message via MSN to darkshark Send a message via Yahoo to darkshark

People like Reincarnate, Reach, devonin, Arch, etc...I expect to see 30k+ but people like hi-top, juggaloshows, DarknessXoXLight, etc...I don't quite put them on the same level as the previous group...no offense to any of you.
darkshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:52 AM   #84
~kitty~
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
I'm at least a mid-level, and I got 14,200. Just kidding, I'm not even sure where I stand. I do generally pick things up kind of quickly compared to people I've been surrounded with, but in a way that says nothing coming from someone who's lived in South Carolina. Education here isn't the greatest thing.
~kitty~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:59 AM   #85
kjwkjw
>w<
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Took the test twice. Got around 14,000 on both attempts.

English isn't my first language, sure, but my vocabulary must be shrinking... shame.

EDIT: According to these (more or less inaccurate) stats, I'm around the average (14,882) for a non-native speaker who's lived in an English-speaking country for 6 years (I've lived in the US for 6). Yay!

EDIT2: Note to self: study more hard words

Goodbye and good riddance, military service (February 23, 2015 ~ February 22, 2017)
Project Sekai 437 / Princess Connect! ReDive 265

Last edited by kjwkjw; 07-29-2011 at 05:09 AM..
kjwkjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:25 AM   #86
leonid
I am leonid
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I've taken this test like two weeks ago
My score is 13,600... kind of enough for a software engineer to work in US

Proud member of Team No
leonid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:26 AM   #87
leonid
I am leonid
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

My Korean vocab is better than all of you **** you all

EDIT:
Just realized I got the lowest score in this thread wahhh

Proud member of Team No

Last edited by leonid; 07-29-2011 at 05:29 AM..
leonid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:32 AM   #88
kjwkjw
>w<
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonid View Post
rofl, I should've said this before you showed up

My Korean vocab is as bad as (if not worse than) my English vocab, etc.

Goodbye and good riddance, military service (February 23, 2015 ~ February 22, 2017)
Project Sekai 437 / Princess Connect! ReDive 265
kjwkjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:34 AM   #89
~kitty~
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:

EDIT:
Just realized I got the lowest score in this thread wahhh
Actually, technically mine is the lowest considering English is my native language.
~kitty~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:27 AM   #90
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
I've taken this test like two weeks ago
My score is 13,600... kind of enough for a software engineer to work in US
13,600 is extremely high for a non-native speaker.

http://testyourvocab.com/blog/2011-0...chartNonnative
Arch0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:36 AM   #91
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartdude1212 View Post
That reminds me, and I don't think I've asked you this before: Have you ever taken any Latin courses? Surely it would satisfy your inner logophile. I would often sit in the lecture and flip through the textbook with an expression of astonishment on my face as I associated Latin words with their English equivalents and think "hot damn this is just awesome stuff."
Albeit a really simple example, the first time I was amazed by roots was when I learned that "cis," to cut, is why the word "scissors" is the way it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
It's a pretty short test; it's used more on kids but is nice and quick for adults.

The list is: (The test ends if the participant does poorly enough in a particular section. Most people get to 3 or 4. Some to 5, and most bomb it).

syringe, transparent, ladle, replenishing, abrasive, parallelogram, cascade, lever, detonation, pillar, cultivating, aquatic / End section 1.

Indigent, oasis, disappointed, perpendicular, poultry, confiding, periodical, filtration, primate, spherical, talon, octagon / End section 2

Incandescent, pilfering, trajectory, mercantile, derrick, ascending, monetary, entomologist, gaff, quintet, nautical, incarcerating / End section 3

Coniferous, wildebeest, caster, reposing, convex, gourmand, dromedary, diverging, incertitude, quiescent, honing, cupola / End section 4

Embossed, perambulating, arable, importunity, cenotaph, tonsorial, nidification, terpsichorean, cairn, osculation, vitreous, lugubrious / End section 5

Thaumaturgical, glaucous, abyssopelagic, nomological, autoschediastical, homeoteleuton, tergiversatory, pelasgian, tintinnabulation, anagogical, sacerdotalism, piscatorialism / End Reach's bonus section of doom

edit: I've used ne plus ultra online. Here, in critical thinking.

Never in real life though.
I actually did pretty well on this. 100% up until section 5, where I get 10/12 (didn't know tonsorial or cairn), and for the bonus section I get 8/12 (haven't ever seen/known homeoteleuton, pelasgian, sacerdotalism, or piscatorialism)

Last edited by Reincarnate; 07-29-2011 at 09:46 AM..
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:44 AM   #92
euphoriakisses
Big oof.
FFR Veteran

Your total vocabulary size is estimated to be:
words
euphoriakisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:33 AM   #93
ninjaKIWI
plain old ugly ass dumbas
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to ninjaKIWI

I got 29,300! I was worried I'd score far lower.
ninjaKIWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:34 AM   #94
LJRoX
Banned

I only got 30k because I knew what all the words were in the first page but I didn't know a lot of the 5th (or was it 6th column) words in the 2nd one lol
LJRoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:53 AM   #95
Breakdown16
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

This is considered average for my age rank, which really depresses me. I actually would have scored much higher in eighth grade, when I read most voraciously. Maybe even seventh grade. I even read plenty of classics. However, my reading frequency dropped off a lot since then, so my vocabulary probably has decreased a lot since then for that reason.

Made by arrekusuof93 at Ye Olde Photoshop Shoppe
Who remembers this thread? Brings back great memories XD
Breakdown16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:04 AM   #96
Hakulyte
the Haku
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

8,860 words. Makes sense to me as I am constantly using the same limited range of words. I got 40,000 by checking everything that sounded remotely familiar with prefix/suffixe/root/french/latin knowledge etc. , but with definition, not even close.
Hakulyte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:03 AM   #97
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartdude1212 View Post
Reach, I'm surprised that you didn't know some of these! I knew prig (see: managers at McDonald's), sobriquet (I find it obscurely funny), svelte (because it used to bother me all the time when I'd see it in a novel and think that it was some sort of European nationality), bibulous (Latin: bibere), cenacle (Latin: cenaculum), and pule (don't know how).

I wouldn't mind learning some Greek as well -- I'm all about the etymological side of things.

lol FFR

Anyway, disappointed that I didn't see words like bowdlerization or eleemosynary or quomodocunquize (this is a mouthful) in that test.
I'm particularly bad with obscure short words. There's nothing distinguishing about them, and when combined with the fact I never get to use them, I forget them.

But no, I've never taken any Latin. Any Latin I do know is self taught, so it's spotty at best. I could definitely improve my vocabulary beyond where it is now by learning it, but...I don't really have time. I instinctively assumed (incorrectly) that bibulous was relating to books. Now I know better, but lol.

Also, quomodocunquize? I've never seen that one before. Thanks ;D

Quote:
homeoteleuton, pelasgian, sacerdotalism, or piscatorialism
Yeah, those ones are there just to prevent people from getting them all

I'm not surprised you would do that well though, given your TRI52 score and the power of g. I've never tested anyone that has only gotten 2 wrong, but then again I've probably never tested someone at the 99.999th percentile either. Personally, when I took the test formally I missed: caster (god damn), importunity, tonsorial (Figured it was related to the tonsils, haha) and vitreous (I defined vitriol, though, this is insanely common D: ).

The others words from my bonus section would be words that logophiles would be likely to pick up from word lists or obscure reading materials, other than nomological. Anagogical is just hard to define, glaucous is easy to confuse.

Well, and abyssopelagic isn't that hard to define vaguely.

Last edited by Reach; 07-29-2011 at 10:16 AM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:14 AM   #98
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

vitreous I never use but I know of it from "vitreous humor" (a part of the eye) where I had looked the word up before.

And yeah I too thought "tonsorial" had to do with tonsils but when you get into words like these, intuition tends to fail haha
Old 07-29-2011, 10:18 AM   #99
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Poor kid's clearly autistic

Old 07-29-2011, 10:19 AM   #100
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

15,400 words. i should probably increase my vocab some

i also call bs on some of the scores in this thread