Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2010, 11:07 PM   #81
Eeumi
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Eeumi
Default Re: Current Seniors

Well responding to original question I'm a senior WOOT! Umm... as far as applying I'm gonna wait until I take my act score again cause u got a 28 and I need a 30. But try and get everything by november 1st if you haven't already started

AAA's-17 (public)
FC's-176 (public)
Eeumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:07 PM   #82
OneHandNow
Banned
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DossarLX ODI View Post
You guys should elaborate on what you mean by "trying a decent amount" in high school because sometimes I get 4-5 hours of homework a day and I always push to get it all done, and "decent" to me would only be around 2-3 hours.

And no I am not complaining, I even stated I get everything finished, I just don't see what you guys mean by "working harder".
You're a junior as of now, right Roy? You should tell us if you're taking AP or IB courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeumi View Post
Well responding to original question I'm a senior WOOT! Umm... as far as applying I'm gonna wait until I take my act score again cause u got a 28 and I need a 30. But try and get everything by november 1st if you haven't already started
Yeah :O I have my SAT I / IIs down, and I'm taking the October 23rd ACT for a 35 or 36. :/
OneHandNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:10 PM   #83
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

For some reason, even though I'm still doing my best like I have been doing in school, I don't see senior year as a celebration, but rather just wanting to do better on the SAT and get community service hours to get into a college. Did anyone feel like this at first?

Yes, I am a junior.
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:11 PM   #84
MrGiggles
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrGiggles Send a message via MSN to MrGiggles

Quote:
The posts in this thread make me wonder what the heck you do in a high level statistics class ?_?
High school level? You learn terminology, like mean/median/average etc first, then you do maybe probability, permutations/combinations, standard deviation, margins of error, just basic ****. Then maybe you do pascal triangles and apply them to statistics concepts, binomials and whatnot. Usually in the context of cards, dice, license plates, telephone numbers, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRubix View Post
In high school I got most of my homework done in-class.

In college, you simply don't have the ability to do homework in-class. There's just too much material to cover. Homework can add up pretty fast... enjoy HS while you can. :P

Although, college is far more fun.
It's the weirdest feeling, having more homework than I've ever dreamed of and still having enough fun that I don't hate my life. I love this stuff, man.
MrGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:14 PM   #85
OneHandNow
Banned
FFR Veteran

Quote:
For some reason, even though I'm still doing my best like I have been doing in school, I don't see senior year as a celebration, but rather just wanting to do better on the SAT and get community service hours to get into a college. Did anyone feel like this at first?

Yes, I am a junior.
Second semester is a celebration as long as you keep up with A's and B's.. unless you want that valedictorian status.

First semester is killer.. I'm taking AP Statistics, AP Literature, AP Computer Science AB, AP Government, AP Maco/Microecon, and AP Physics.. ;_;

Couple that in with badminton, debate, studying for the ACT, early decision app + supplements for numerous other schools..

I never get more than 4 hours of sleep ):

But come 2nd semester.. ehehehehe >:]
Old 10-17-2010, 11:16 PM   #86
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
The posts in this thread make me wonder what the heck you do in a high level statistics class ?_?
Lower-level courses teach you to look at data sets and tear them apart in ways that allow you to draw conclusions (probability distributions and histograms/least squares/regressions/chi-squared tests/analysis of variance/segmentation methods/logarithmic transformations/central limit theorem/covariance/correlation/basic probability).

As you move up into mid/higher-level statistics courses, you get your ass pounded by harder applications of Bayesian probability, stochastic processes (a beast in itself -- birth-death processes, stable distributions, Poisson/Gamma processes, time reversibility, random walks, Brownian motion and Black-Scholes -- if you're familiar with physics, the heat equation should be familiar here), time series, random variables, discrete and continuous sample spaces, tougher probability applications, additional distributions, expectations, indicators, Markov chains, recurrence theory, nonparametric statistics, etc. You also get exposure to stuff like S-Plus, R, and Stata, or JMP.

The applications themselves become more complicated when you intermix statistics with things like finance (you cannot have finance without statistics -- the whole notion of risk relies on it) and computer science (say, machine learning algorithms or optimization metrics). But underneath it all -- you need to be good with math.
MrRubix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:16 PM   #87
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager

Ok Onehandnow, really, how much fucking homework do have with all those AP classes lmao.

Also valedictorian status is a delusion for me since I know that's not going to happen even if I wanted it to. I personally don't take school for granted because it doesn't encourage creativity and is mainly just regurgitating information. I myself only get 6-7 hours of sleep too but I'm actually fine with that xd
Old 10-17-2010, 11:18 PM   #88
MrGiggles
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Lower-level courses teach you to look at data sets and tear them apart in ways that allow you to draw conclusions (probability distributions and histograms/least squares/regressions/chi-squared tests/analysis of variance/segmentation methods/logarithmic transformations/central limit theorem/covariance/correlation/basic probability).

As you move up into mid/higher-level statistics courses, you get your ass pounded by harder applications of Bayesian probability, stochastic processes (a beast in itself -- birth-death processes, stable distributions, Poisson/Gamma processes, time reversibility, random walks, Brownian motion and Black-Scholes -- if you're familiar with physics, the heat equation should be familiar here), time series, random variables, discrete and continuous sample spaces, tougher probability applications, additional distributions, expectations, indicators, Markov chains, recurrence theory, nonparametric statistics, etc. You also get exposure to stuff like S-Plus, R, and Stata, or JMP.

The applications themselves become more complicated when you intermix statistics with things like finance (you cannot have finance without statistics -- the whole notion of risk relies on it) and computer science (say, machine learning algorithms or optimization metrics). But underneath it all -- you need to be good with math.
so either your high school was a secret government funded lab experiment to teach children how to make the Iraq War look good or my high school statistics class was a huge joek
Old 10-17-2010, 11:20 PM   #89
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHandNow View Post
You're a junior as of now, right Roy? You should tell us if you're taking AP or IB courses

Yeah :O I have my SAT I / IIs down, and I'm taking the October 23rd ACT for a 35 or 36. :/
If you've already got a 34 ACT, it's a waste of time to retake it. Spend that time on perfecting your application.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:20 PM   #90
OneHandNow
Banned
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Ok Onehandnow, really, how much fucking homework do have with all those AP classes lmao.

Also valedictorian status is a delusion for me since I know that's not going to happen even if I wanted it to. I personally don't take school for granted because it doesn't encourage creativity and is mainly just regurgitating information.
AP Stats is pretty easy (it's only college-level introductory, so no biggie here), AP Comp Sci AB is okay (only about 1 hour of coding / doing labs a day if you focus), AP Physics is easy for now (1 hour focused, it'll get harder I'm sure), AP Econ/Gov (easy stuff - common sense here), AP Micro/Macroecon (1-2 hours a day), AP Literature (3-4 hours a day - definitely the hardest class I've ever had.. but it's only because our teacher is an absolute beast who sends most of her kids into Ivy League schools..)

So I'd say 5-6 hours of homework & studying a day? If you focus, it's real easy.

Get home at 2. Work til 6-7. Do sports & club activities. On weekends, finish up applications and do some more sports & club activities that you're dedicated to.

Blah blah blah..

Quote:
If you've already got a 34 ACT, it's a waste of time to retake it. Spend that time on perfecting your application.
Hmm.. You think so? I'm pretty sure I can pull off a 35 (since I already paid for the test anyways..)
I'll think about it..
Old 10-17-2010, 11:21 PM   #91
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGiggles View Post
so either your high school was a secret government funded lab experiment to teach children how to make the Iraq War look good or my high school statistics class was a huge joek
no the stuff i describe was what I took in college for my stats major

in high school I don't even think I ever took a stats course. The most we ever did statistically was basic probability in math class, I think. Kind of a joke.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:26 PM   #92
MrGiggles
FFR Veteran

Quote:
no the stuff i describe was what I took in college for my stats major

in high school I don't even think I ever took a stats course. The most we ever did statistically was basic probability in math class, I think. Kind of a joke.
I was really wondering what kind of mutant high school teaches poisson/gamma processes

Quote:
Hmm.. You think so? I'm pretty sure I can pull off a 35 (since I already paid for the test anyways..)
I'll think about it..
Yeah a 34 is high enough that you probably don't need to bother taking it again. On the other hand, why not, especially since you already ponied up. Worst case, you lose a few hours of your life.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:26 PM   #93
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
I'll think about it..
Yeah, besides, your SAT is already good enough. Although you need to bolster it with SAT2's if you haven't already.

I took the ACT on top of my SATs and it turned out to be a pretty big waste of time compared to everything else. You've got the scores already -- focus on writing better essays for your apps. The marginal benefit is much larger in that category at this point.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:26 PM   #94
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager

Quote:
if you focus
-__________________________________-
Old 10-17-2010, 11:28 PM   #95
Zageron
Zageron E. Tazaterra
RRR Developer & DevOps Support
AdministratorDeveloperFFR Veteran

Quote:
-__________________________________-
lol
Old 10-17-2010, 11:29 PM   #96
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager

Seriously statements of those type really just piss me off, they don't help in any way and it seems like everyone is somehow able to do better when they "focus more than before".
Old 10-17-2010, 11:31 PM   #97
OneHandNow
Banned
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Seriously statements of those type really just piss me off, they don't help in any way and it seems like everyone is somehow able to do better when they "focus more than before".
Focus aka GIT OFF FFR / SM FOO >;[
Old 10-17-2010, 11:32 PM   #98
aperson
FFR Hall of Fame
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to aperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windscarredfaith View Post
Oh god. I'm not ONLY doing a math major. I dislike a good amount of college math, actually. Especially the proofs.
Are you f*cking serious?

The whole reason to major in math is to prove things. Math isn't about solving problems, it's about making deductions.

aperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:32 PM   #99
Prime8
Awwwwwww!
FFR Veteran

I'm surprised there are several other math majors like myself on FFR (I'm technically a math/computer science double major).
Old 10-17-2010, 11:32 PM   #100
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager

Some days I don't even go on FFR or stepmania. So what then ?_?