Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Other Music Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2006, 05:13 PM   #81
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to SCWolf Send a message via MSN to SCWolf Send a message via Skype™ to SCWolf
Default Re: Konami has acquired In The Groove

either way someone will lose something. if it's ITG then theres nothing we can do about it.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:50 PM   #82
nforcer06164
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to nforcer06164 Send a message via Skype™ to nforcer06164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
I was 100% joking, because since they can't rip off DDR's design anymore, they would rip off the closest thing to it.
Ever notice that ITG2 is officially named Pump It Up: In the Groove 2? Andamiro and RoXoR have a special relationship. I got your joke, but it wouldn't be a surprise.

You guys didn't read the UK article close enough, by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDRUK
Konami has acquired the intellectual property rights to the In The Groove(R) dance game franchise. It was further agreed as a part of the settlement that Roxor would respect Konami’s intellectual property rights.

http://www.inthegroove.com/page/Press_Release

-

Basicaly, Konami won the legal battle, and proved that ITG infringed upon their patent. They own the intellectual rights to "In The Groove", because it was defined as technicaly being nothing more than a counterfeit of "Dance Dance Revolution".

This means Konami can continue to produce 'Dance Dance Revolution', and all games which resemble it's design.

Konami did NOT win control of the 'In The Groove' copyright, the game code, it's songs, anything like that. Those are still owned by whoever created them in the first place. Konami do not own or run the In The Groove franchise, they simply own the sole right to produce arcade games which resemble DDR / ITG's technical setup and gameplay elements.

Roxor can still produce dancing games, but have to think outside of the box. They cannot produce anything which resembles DDR.

By all reasonable logic, In The Groove 3 is canceled. All future PC / console releases are presumed to be canceled, as Roxor recently gave away In The Groove 2 to all owners of the PC version.

This also follows the release of an official patch which allows In The Groove 2 machines to play any song held on a memory stick - a move which seemed insane at the time, but makes sense if you assume that the development team were aware of what was coming.
Konami owns the DDR/ITG "intellectual property rights," meaning anything that resembles DDR or ITG can be produced solely by Konami. Konami by no means holds or has any rights to RoXoR or the game code, songs, artists, WHATEVER. RoXoR just can't produce the conventional ITG anymore. I highly doubt that RoXoR or ITG is dead... it'll just be somewhat different if and when it continues.

r21 makes sense now. I believe that's just appeasement until they can figure out a new way to produce ITG (9 panels? hehehe). There's sure to be some way to work around this without violating the property rights. We'll just have to wait and see.

PROUD OWNER OF TWO OMEGA FAVORS. YEAH, NICE TRY.
Giant NES Controller (4 FEET) progress: PAINT IS DONE!
Download my Wii Music Suite v1.0, and PM me with your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek
My mind says "GOGOGOG" and my hands go "wut no scru u ***"
nforcer06164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 06:23 PM   #83
ducky285
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to ducky285 Send a message via MSN to ducky285 Send a message via Yahoo to ducky285

Beatmania IIDX 15th Style, now featuring songs by Kyle Ward and Digital Explosion
Old 10-21-2006, 11:23 PM   #84
CMG
FFR Player

Is it just me or does anyone else believe that Konami will go after Roxor again? Do the names "Drummania/Guitar Freaks" and "Guitar Hero" ring a bell? Although Guitar Freaks isnt as popular as DDR, its still not an original idea of Roxors.

But beatmania? c'mon, like we really need more of those? I mean no disrespect to the players out there but that game has more machines than ddr and itg combined... specially if its like in its, what, 14th gold edition?
CMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 11:30 PM   #85
ducky285
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to ducky285 Send a message via MSN to ducky285 Send a message via Yahoo to ducky285

Harmonix made Guitar Hero, not Roxor, and the game is different enough from Guitar Freaks that Konami really doesn't have a case.

And Beatmania IIDX is immensely popular in Japan, hence the frequent releases.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:49 PM   #86
Neonatrias
MAЯISA
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Neonatrias Send a message via Yahoo to Neonatrias Send a message via Skype™ to Neonatrias

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky285 View Post
Beatmania IIDX 15th Style, now featuring songs by Kyle Ward and Digital Explosion
While I think it'd be kickass to play Xuxa in IIDX, part of me doubts it's going to happen. Music licensing is entirely seperate from this discussion.

That said, d'you think RoXor is gonna try their hand at some new concept of music games? It could just work, since they've currently got such a hold on their fanbase.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:19 AM   #87
Snapps
NO DOUBT GET LOUD
FFR Simfile Author

itg will do 9 panel it will be genius

wait

Last edited by Snapps; 10-22-2006 at 12:22 AM..
Snapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 12:20 AM   #88
ducky285
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonatrias View Post
While I think it'd be kickass to play Xuxa in IIDX, part of me doubts it's going to happen. Music licensing is entirely seperate from this discussion.
It was a joke

God, does everyone in this thread have to be so damn serious?

P.S. Technomotion will sue
Old 10-22-2006, 07:43 AM   #89
iPatcH
Swamp Lemons Rule
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to iPatcH

Quote:
Originally Posted by nforcer06164 View Post
Ever notice that ITG2 is officially named Pump It Up: In the Groove 2? Andamiro and RoXoR have a special relationship. I got your joke, but it wouldn't be a surprise.

You guys didn't read the UK article close enough, by the way.

Konami owns the DDR/ITG "intellectual property rights," meaning anything that resembles DDR or ITG can be produced solely by Konami. Konami by no means holds or has any rights to RoXoR or the game code, songs, artists, WHATEVER. RoXoR just can't produce the conventional ITG anymore. I highly doubt that RoXoR or ITG is dead... it'll just be somewhat different if and when it continues.

r21 makes sense now. I believe that's just appeasement until they can figure out a new way to produce ITG (9 panels? hehehe). There's sure to be some way to work around this without violating the property rights. We'll just have to wait and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj paranoia
The statement made on DDRUK is nothing more than speculation made by someone who failed to read Roxor's press release correctly. If you actually bother to read it, it clearly states that Konami now owns the intellectual propert that is the In The Groove franchise. Hell, the link leading to the press release even says "NEWS FLASH: Konami has acquired In The Groove". Last time I checked, acquire means "to take ownership of".
oic
Old 10-22-2006, 05:15 PM   #90
nforcer06164
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to nforcer06164 Send a message via Skype™ to nforcer06164

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPatcH
Quote:
Originally Posted by djparanoia
The statement made on DDRUK is nothing more than speculation made by someone who failed to read Roxor's press release correctly. If you actually bother to read it, it clearly states that Konami now owns the intellectual propert that is the In The Groove franchise. Hell, the link leading to the press release even says "NEWS FLASH: Konami has acquired In The Groove". Last time I checked, acquire means "to take ownership of".
Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Groove Press Release
Press Release

October 18, 2006

Konami Corporation, developer of the Dance Dance Revolution(R) video dance game, and Roxor Games, Inc., developer of In The Groove(R) dance games, today announced the mutual settlement of the litigation between the parties in the U.S. District Court in the Eastern District of Texas. Under the terms of the settlement, Konami has acquired the intellectual property rights to the In The Groove(R) dance game franchise. It was further agreed as a part of the settlement that Roxor would respect Konami’s intellectual property rights.
CTRL + F: "NEWS FLASH: Konami has acquired In The Groove"

! Phrase not found

CTRL + F: “acquired In The Groove"

! Phrase not found

Actually, the link says "Konami Owns In The Groove (Realistic facts)". He tried to use the very source he is attempting to disprove by quoting parts of that very source as true. djparanoia in no way justified his statement. He attempted to use the "Ad hominem" logical fallacy. He couldn’t even pull off a logical fallacy. His statement is nil.

iPatcH, with what djparanoia said, I thought you’d be smart enough to reread the statements. Go back to the bolded part of the Press Release quote. Konami has acquired "intellectual property rights".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
In law, intellectual property (IP) is an umbrella term for various legal entitlements which attach to certain types of information, ideas, or other intangibles in their expressed form. The holder of this legal entitlement is generally entitled to exercise various exclusive rights in relation to the subject matter of the IP. The term intellectual property reflects the idea that this subject matter is the product of the mind or the intellect, and that IP rights may be protected at law in the same way as any other form of property.
When you speak of "intellectual property rights", you speak of an idea. This means that RoXoR can no longer create the game "In the Groove" as it is now because the concept too closely resembles the game "Dance Dance Revolution". Because Konami already has intellectual property rights to any four panel cardinal-points dance game, RoXor was guilty of infringing upon Konami’s existing rights. Therefore, they had to give up their rights to the concept of In the Groove. Further, RoXoR must respect Konami’s intellectual property rights by not creating, producing, and marketing any game that resembles "In the Groove" or "Dance Dance Revolution".

By interpretation, you could say that Konami does own "In the Groove". But, all they own is the concept. They DO NOT own the game code, song licenses, cabinet design (Andamiro’s, not the "BoXoR" design), or any of that. That is very, very clear from the press release. RoXoR is very much still alive. What is fuzzy and undeterminable from this point is where they can go from here, and what they can do to continue "In the Groove", albeit without the "In the Groove" name.

I’m sorry if this is way over anyone’s head, but, in a nutshell, RoXoR isn’t gone. The "In the Groove" name is likely gone, the current game concept is gone. But, I don’t think RoXoR has any intention of disappointing us.

Quote:
Old 10-22-2006, 05:25 PM   #91
iPatcH
Swamp Lemons Rule
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to iPatcH

Quote:
Originally Posted by nforcer06164 View Post
CTRL + F: "NEWS FLASH: Konami has acquired In The Groove"

! Phrase not found

CTRL + F: “acquired In The Groove"

! Phrase not found

other pointless blah blah
http://www.inthegroove.com
Old 10-22-2006, 05:31 PM   #92
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

iPatcH, that's still wrong.

If you click that link, it clearly says that Konami now owns the INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS (which I suppose they owned all along and ITG was just infringing on them haha). Owning the intellectual property rights to something does not equate to owning the entire thing. All it means is that if RoXoR wants to make more ITG games, they'd have to get permission from Konami.

Why don't people understand things such as that? I just got done editing RoXoR's wikipedia article, because somebody added something saying "Konami now owns the ITG franchise."
Old 10-23-2006, 02:24 PM   #93
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

"INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS"

ok, I might be missing something here but that says to me 'if it has 4 buttons in a shape of a t, then Konami owns it.' so then SM,DWI,FFR, and countless others are illegal. This is not good.

And if that applise to DDR, then it goes with PIU,BM,ID,PM, etc. etc.

What can Roxor do that hasnt been done? ITG is dead and the chance that a new game will come are nill. my only Q on the matter is what will become of FFR? what will Synthlight do?
MixMasterLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 02:27 PM   #94
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

As long as Konami doesn't come after FFR (which they likely won't, due to what Synth said before), we'll be fine. Presumeably, the same can be said about Stepmania (like Synth also said before).

At least FFR and Stepmania have an ace up their sleeve anyway. ITG was essentially the same thing as DDR. FFR and SM tend to be played on keyboards and not on dance pads.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:32 PM   #95
nforcer06164
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

And to add to what Afrobean said, Konami would not profit in any way from attacking SM or FFR. SM and FFR promote DDR. ITG was a danger to Konami's profits, so it was logical to file a lawsuit. A lawsuit against SM or FFR would only cost money and slow the growth of a fanbase.

Quote:
Old 10-23-2006, 04:54 PM   #96
Clocklover
Banned

This is probably why ITG2 cs was "leaked" on bittorrent servers as well. ****ing america with our excessive use of lawsuits.
Clocklover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 04:59 PM   #97
WillTalbot
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to WillTalbot Send a message via MSN to WillTalbot Send a message via Yahoo to WillTalbot

Konami has horrible buisness practices. Instead of making a partnership deal with RoXor (which would lead to ITG being owned by RoXor, Andamiro, and Konami) they just rip the game right out of their hands.
WillTalbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 05:34 PM   #98
Eyoshi
Certified Calendarwhore
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Eyoshi Send a message via Skype™ to Eyoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillTalbot View Post
Konami has horrible buisness practices. Instead of making a partnership deal with RoXor (which would lead to ITG being owned by RoXor, Andamiro, and Konami) they just rip the game right out of their hands.
Actually, Andamiro has no ownership over ITG. They only made the cabinets for ITG2.

And there would be no deal because ITG is a rival competitor for dancing-game profits. At a random arcade, people won't care whether their machine is an ITG machine or a DDR one; they just consider it a dancing game. They might just buy one machine.

Also, if you were a chairman for Konami, would you continue a franchise that ultimately eats off your profits? No, you wouldn't.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:59 PM   #99
WillTalbot
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to WillTalbot Send a message via MSN to WillTalbot Send a message via Yahoo to WillTalbot

My fault for mistakening the word "owned" with "co-owned" I do believe that Andamiro does have some ownership over ITG though, maybe it is unheard of but I think if I were Andamiro and I made the cabinets for ITG i would want a piece of the game itself.
WillTalbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:05 PM   #100
Neonatrias
MAЯISA
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Neonatrias Send a message via Yahoo to Neonatrias Send a message via Skype™ to Neonatrias

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillTalbot View Post
My fault for mistakening the word "owned" with "co-owned" I do believe that Andamiro does have some ownership over ITG though, maybe it is unheard of but I think if I were Andamiro and I made the cabinets for ITG i would want a piece of the game itself.
Andamiro only made the cabinets, end of story.