Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Stepmania > Simulator Files
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 02:22 AM   #81
jimerax
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jimerax Send a message via MSN to jimerax Send a message via Skype™ to jimerax
Default Re: Stepmania University: We'll make your files suck less (under construction)

Is this thread for general stepmania theories or individual advices in simfile making?

well anyways a general jack theory on jumps related to gnr's post.

When the fast jump section is long, using mini jump-trill patterns in it waters it down. An example could be seen in the ending of PE gymnactics on FFR. On the contrary, if the jump section isn't that long and you want to put some emphasis on them, mini jump-trill patterns would make it weak. Long jack patterns could be avoided unless you want to express strong accent or PR.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:53 AM   #82
N.T.M.
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to N.T.M.
Talking Re: Stepmania University: We'll make your files suck less (under construction)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moches View Post
I like this idea but the problem might be that later, the student:tutor ratio will be pretty high.

Not sure whether I'm in or not. I can't really TEACH stepping, per se, I just listen to the song and do what I can. Also for some reason I can only step simple music. Maybe it's because I'm not even 14 yet. Does age have something to do with how good your files are?

EDIT: About my age...basically I made this account when I was 8 or 9 and thought that breaking the age rule was cool and hip and ****. Evidence of this can be seen by my first retarded post about the Megaman song. Basically this means I wasn't legally allowed on this forum when I launched up FFR Community Pack. There, I said it. Hopefully that doesn't mean I'm retarded for that.

I hope Tass doesn't see this and ban me. I'm legal now though.
Damn you're not even 14? Holy ****!! You're a young fella.
“Beware the irrational, however seductive. Shun the 'transcendent' and all who invite you to subordinate or annihilate yourself. Distrust compassion; prefer dignity for yourself and others. Don't be afraid to be thought arrogant or selfish... Suspect your own motives, and all excuses. Do not live for others any more than you would expect others to live for you.”

Christopher Hitchens
Old 04-11-2009, 03:01 AM   #83
moches
FFR Player

Default Re: Stepmania University: We'll make your files suck less (under construction)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.T.M. View Post
Damn you're not even 14? Holy ****!! You're a young fella.
14 in a month and two weeks.

And doodgk is 13 too, I'm pretty sure.

Anyway, back on topic.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:05 AM   #84
N.T.M.
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by moches View Post
14 in a month and two weeks.

And doodgk is 13 too, I'm pretty sure.

Anyway, back on topic.
Wowzer =P.

And for something relevant to the OP: I really need input as far as song selection. I need to diversify my genre selection yet I'm kinda still unsure as to where I should look.
“Beware the irrational, however seductive. Shun the 'transcendent' and all who invite you to subordinate or annihilate yourself. Distrust compassion; prefer dignity for yourself and others. Don't be afraid to be thought arrogant or selfish... Suspect your own motives, and all excuses. Do not live for others any more than you would expect others to live for you.”

Christopher Hitchens
Old 04-11-2009, 03:09 AM   #85
Patashu
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile Author

Location: we traced the call...it's coming from inside the house
Send a message via AIM to Patashu Send a message via MSN to Patashu Send a message via Yahoo to Patashu

An obvious, if rather 'cheap' resource, is to download albums and OSTs that you have already seen people make well stepped files of, as steppable music tends to be concentrated together.

Another quick source is to look through the music of every video game you've liked. Video game music ain't bad overall.

If you want stuff that's basically guaranteed to be steppable, rip a rhythm game's OST.

There are also sites out there with independent artists that let you 'trawl' a network of related songs and genres to look for things you like. I can't think of any of them off the top of my head tho
Best non-AAAs: ERx8 v2 (14-1-0-4), Hajnal (3-0-0-0), RunnyMorning (8-0-0-4), Xeno-Flow (1-0-0-3), Blue Rose (35-2-0-20), Ketsarku (14-0-0-0), Silence (1-0-0-0), Lolo (14-1-0-1)
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/xiaoven/solorulzsig.png
Old 04-11-2009, 03:17 AM   #86
i love you
Live a wonderful life~
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I'm probably one of the worst R1 simfile artist in FFR so i'd like to be a student please.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:28 AM   #87
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

someone should find a song and all the students should step it then compare and such
Old 04-11-2009, 03:34 AM   #88
Patashu
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Patashu Send a message via MSN to Patashu Send a message via Yahoo to Patashu

starship.6? 8)
Best non-AAAs: ERx8 v2 (14-1-0-4), Hajnal (3-0-0-0), RunnyMorning (8-0-0-4), Xeno-Flow (1-0-0-3), Blue Rose (35-2-0-20), Ketsarku (14-0-0-0), Silence (1-0-0-0), Lolo (14-1-0-1)
Old 04-11-2009, 03:36 AM   #89
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

good song choice 8)

stepping it this weekend

Last edited by who_cares973; 04-11-2009 at 03:39 AM..
Old 04-11-2009, 03:59 AM   #90
N.T.M.
FFR Player

If people are gonna invest time stepping though they might as well contribute to the database with a few songs instead of numerous versions of the same song which IMO may not prove to be too beneficial for improvement purposes anyways. IDK tho =P.

Christopher Hitchens
Old 04-11-2009, 04:03 AM   #91
who_cares973
FFR Player

having everyone step the same songs shows where people are compared to others. it also shows peoples strengthes and weaknesses compared to others
Old 04-11-2009, 04:05 AM   #92
N.T.M.
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by who_cares973 View Post
having everyone step the same songs shows where people are compared to others. it also shows peoples strengthes and weaknesses compared to others
True, but it doesn't help them improve individually. It'd only be effective to really compare stepping levels. Well that and they'd improve. So yeah I guess it's a good idea.

Wow I didn't really type that too well =/.

Christopher Hitchens
Old 04-11-2009, 04:18 AM   #93
who_cares973
FFR Player

well this is the beginning so its seems like the right thing to do to get to know where everyone stands before we begin
Old 04-11-2009, 04:18 AM   #94
moches
FFR Player

Professor, I've finished my first assignment, and I'd like to turn it in for a grade. Please look for a PM in your email. (serious expression)

EDIT: It's Super Monkey Ball lmfao.

Last edited by moches; 04-11-2009 at 04:26 AM..
Old 04-11-2009, 05:55 AM   #95
Patashu
FFR Simfile Author

Storm placeholder:

gap is 0.808, should be 0.768
opening is four 32nds not four 24ths
mine for the last blue note of m1?
seems to be alternating with ending measures with a minijack to (the guitar) or not; either fill in gaps with the guitar or don't
m7: blue note after the yellow jump is missing a minifreeze
the jumpy pattern in m9 is missing a jump on the third beat
m15 is missing a bass drum minijack and the minifreeze on the blue after the yellow jump
end of m16 is begging for a hold or mines or something
m17 def. shouldn't be straight 8ths
m18 on should introduce the other melodic element immediately (the one you put freezes too lately, plays the same high pitch over and over?)
the way you're only sort of amalgamating the guitar in is still weird
m37: the twin gallops pattern is a misrhythm and erroneously places the hi-hat and base drum/guitar/whatever it is on the same column. should go yellow minijack-blueyellow
m42 on could be layered better: I see jumps to the guitar on its own for instance. this isn't a place where I'd use the jumps-signify-main-melody technique, btw, since it means you 'lose information' when you can't arrange things to better signify all the different percussion (in a similar vein m49 doesn't really make sense. well it 'makes sense' but it's not the way I'd do it)
e: actually damn, now I can't decide if I like it this way or not XD maybe try 16th freezes to the guitar?
m48 ought to have a straight 8th jack to signify the percussive sound

Last edited by Patashu; 04-11-2009 at 08:48 AM..
Old 04-11-2009, 08:42 AM   #96
kommisar[os]
Banned

Send a message via AIM to kommisar[os] Send a message via MSN to kommisar[os]

k i can set up an irc channel no problem. i'll have a stepmanier semenar later on tonight =D
Old 04-11-2009, 09:01 AM   #97
moches
FFR Player

sry im a noob wats a irc channel

ps Patashur thanks for the long-ass review hahaaa. This is going to help me loads.

Last edited by moches; 04-11-2009 at 09:04 AM..
Old 04-11-2009, 09:14 AM   #98
Patashu
FFR Simfile Author

Internet Relay Chat. I dunno what the best client for it is but I use mIRC.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:25 AM   #99
Xandertrax
om nom nom
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Xandertrax

Whao active thread.

I think it would be good if you copied all the general stepmania tidbits that are scattered through the thread (stuff on PR, etc) into the OP, under different section headings or something.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:52 AM   #100
gnr61
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to gnr61

jimerax can def be a professor.........head of technicality department