Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 11:04 AM   #921
RoastedNoob
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Super Smash Brothers Brawl

I'm sure there will be an FD stage on Brawl anyway... and why are people saying they wish they had a Wii? You wouldn't be able to play until Feb. 10th. Save up and get one.
RoastedNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:55 AM   #922
masterhickle
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to masterhickle

If they bring some stages back from melee like they did from the original, Im sure FD will be in there.

@ Roasted : The only logic I can see behind this is they want to get a Wii now, so they can save up for the game when it comes out. Buying the Wii and the game at the same time may prove more of a financial problem than buying the two separately. Only a guess.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:55 PM   #923
banditcom
FFR Player

Send a message via ICQ to banditcom Send a message via AIM to banditcom Send a message via Yahoo to banditcom Send a message via Skype™ to banditcom

I want to see some super weird stages.... xD

Squeek: You are very ignorant. Sorry. For melee, you are comparing your all state amateur wrestling championship to the olympic championship. Far different levels and far different amounts of time and perfection. You play games and move on. You do well in them in comparison to most people, except the ones who spend loads more time trying to perfect the game to the next levels. You know what you're talking about in your level. That's it. But I definitely agree with you. It's a waste to try to be the best. It's much more enjoyable playing many games over becoming the best in one (though lol with me in MapleStory building equips and being tier 2 in gear).

You are purely arguing against going past the "perfection" you state, in which I agree, unless you really enjoy the game. Some people do love doing that. Let them. Who cares? Realize tourney rules are made so it tests the skills without giving any unfair advantage to certain characters or luck factors. It's the best way to test this kind of skill, which is what tourneys are. Yes there are plenty of other skills and such in the game. Yes there are plenty more mechanics etc. But rules, like in any game, exist to create fairness and balance.

PS: I only know what you know in regards to tourneys and all the advance skills. I don't feel the need to try to perfect a game, plus I'd know I'd fall short. I enjoyed it and enjoyed playing with my bros and friends. I moved on. But damn, understand different mindsets other than your own please. D:
banditcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:59 PM   #924
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

No, my biggest qualm is that the state wrestling championship suddenly turns into "who weighs the most". Or, it's like saying "You win the 100-meter dash! You win the entire Olympic Games!", since the game goes from "You need to manage all 25 characters on all 29 stages with any item selection on any mode of play (Giant / Tiny Melee, Lightning Melee, etc.) at all times" to "You need to learn how to use Marth / Fox / etc. on Final Destination without items".

What I'm trying to say here is that there should be more than one tournament. If you're just going to use 5% of the game to decide skill, there should be tournaments for the other 95%. Tournaments for people who can play any character on any stage with any items. And it should have equal standing to your tournament since it's deciding skill on the same game, just different principles.

And don't give me that BS about capsules / crates exploding. If they're exploding near you, you were going to get hit by them in the first place. Learn how to dodge. Either that, or stop throwing things straight down. Jump first, then throw straight down. Seriously people. Items are not the end of the world.

But whatever. I've been done with this discussion for a while now. I can only hope Brawl is fun enough and balanced enough that the tournaments don't just feature two or three characters, one stage, and one mode of play. Instead, maybe you'll all be playing all the characters on every stage on every mode of play!

One can dream...

Last edited by Squeek; 10-29-2007 at 01:24 PM..
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:48 PM   #925
masterhickle
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
No, my biggest qualm is that the state wrestling championship suddenly turns into "who weighs the most". Or, it's like saying "You win the 100-meter dash! You win the entire Olympic Games!", since the game goes from "You need to manage all 25 characters on all 29 stages with any item selection on any mode of play (Giant / Tiny Melee, Lightning Melee, etc.) at all times" to "You need to learn how to use Marth / Fox / etc. on Final Destination without items".

What I'm trying to say here is that there should be more than one tournament. If you're just going to use 5% of the game to decide skill, there should be tournaments for the other 95%. Tournaments for people who can play any character on any stage with any items. And it should have equal standing to your tournament since it's deciding skill on the same game, just different principles.

And don't give me that BS about capsules / crates exploding. If they're exploding near you, you were going to get hit by them in the first place. Learn how to dodge. Either that, or stop throwing things straight down. Jump first, then throw straight down. Seriously people. Items are not the end of the world.

But whatever. I've been done with this discussion for a while now. I can only hope Brawl is fun enough and balanced enough that the tournaments don't just feature two or three characters, one stage, and one mode of play. Instead, maybe you'll all be playing all the characters on every stage on every mode of play!
1) Have you ever even watched a few tournament videos? Sure, a lot of people will play Marth / Fox / Falco, but that's not all every tournament goer plays. Though lower tier characters are rare to see, characters like Jigglypuff, Samus, Ice Climbers, and Captain Falcon are common.

2) There should be a tournament based on the luck of the draw? I'm not saying "F!ck you, there shouldn't be a tournament like that," but I am saying that such a tournament relies on a lot of luck (characters each person randoms, the items that drop, the stage that is random'ed).

3) I believe that "crap about capsules / crates exploding" was brought up under the situation of one person being in the middle of comboing another person. If your in the middle of a combo, you likely aren't focused on the chance that an item might fall on your head. You're focused on keeping that combo going, and killing the person. But suddenly...BOOM! The person getting comboed gets off easy, and the match is even again.

4) People will always have characters that they prefer to play. People will always have stages that they like to play on. That's all I have to say there.

I don't look down on people who play with items, I just don't like the randomness items add to the game in competitive play. I'll play with items if it just for shyts and giggles, but if you want to play actual sets, those items damn well better be turned off.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:19 PM   #926
zidart
FFR Player

woow this stage builder feature looks awesome XD you better don't get my stages because i will make it "anti-final destination" and probably full of traps.

and what squeek said about boxes... that's actually true i usually take my distance of some boxes or capsules... unless i get a chance to throw them. and what some say about the luck factor or being unfair??? well everyone can get an item everyone can use them.

Last edited by zidart; 10-29-2007 at 02:22 PM..
zidart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:19 PM   #927
Buttoxin
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoastedNoob View Post
but I'm dying to play it against other people, though.
That's playing the game right? Then I guess you are dying to play it.

Also, what was with all the non-Brawl posts anyway?
Old 10-29-2007, 04:26 PM   #928
masterhickle
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttoxin View Post
That's playing the game right? Then I guess you are dying to play it.

Also, what was with all the non-Brawl posts anyway?
There's playing the game just to beat 1P mode through and get all the stuff on the side (trophies, bonuses, etc), and there's playing it to have fun / compete with other people. At least, I think that's what Roasted meant.

And what's with all the cynicism from you? I take you to be quite the @$$ from all your posts thus far. >.>

@Zidart - The only things I find unfair about items :
A box or capsule falling on top of you while you are comboing someone, thus ending your combo and adding on unnecessary damage to you.
Starman...enough said
Food...I think Ness is the only player in the game that can regain health, and is very situational. Getting an extra stock? No thanks.
Metal Box...Little to no knock-back...that even gives Pichu at 100% a chance against Ganondorf >.>.
Invisible thing (can't remember its name)...No extra damage taken? You get this at a low percent, you essentially get a Starman, just some knock-back on attacks.

Outside of those things, I'm perfectly fine with playing with items. Like someone said earlier, if there was an option to turn off randomly exploding boxes / capsules, I'd probably play with 'em more.

Last edited by masterhickle; 10-29-2007 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: PIE!
masterhickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:44 PM   #929
Buttoxin
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterhickle View Post
There's playing the game just to beat 1P mode through and get all the stuff on the side (trophies, bonuses, etc), and there's playing it to have fun / compete with other people. At least, I think that's what Roasted meant.

And what's with all the cynicism from you? I take you to be quite the @$$ from all your posts thus far. >.>
I know, but when it comes to definition, it's all playing the game.

Also, I'm not an @$$, I'm just always posting my own opinion. If I'm not mistaken, that's flaming.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:24 PM   #930
masterhickle
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
I know, but when it comes to definition, it's all playing the game.

Also, I'm not an @$$, I'm just always posting my own opinion. If I'm not mistaken, that's flaming.
Yeah, it does all boil down to playing the game, but I'll still stick to my thought of there being different reasons for playing the game.

While I'll agree that you have a right to state your own opinion, you sometimes need to know when to keep an opinion to yourself. While I probably shouldn't have said what I did, I'll leave it up; I've been thinking that for quite some time now. But, as you said, "I'm just posting my own opinion."
Old 10-29-2007, 07:47 PM   #931
RoastedNoob
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I got the @$$ feel from you, too. lol That sounded weird, but you know what I mean. Yeah, Brawl 100% beaten is all characters and stages imo. I don't care about the trophies/stickers, they were pointless. They are given more of a roll in Brawl, maybe not enough to matter to me, but maybe it will actually turn out really fun to play with them. It depends on how much you can do with the who scene set up thing. If everything in multiplayer is open, I'm done with the game. I'll continue doing the single player mode when I'm bored most likely. *shrug* I just have way more of a competitive feel since I started playing that way.

Squeek, why don't you throw your own tournament with your rules and see what happens? It's not too hard to get people to go to a tournament. As long as you post it on SmashBoards, you'll usually get a decent amount of people. Where do you live, anyway?
Old 10-29-2007, 07:59 PM   #932
zidart
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterhickle View Post

@Zidart - The only things I find unfair about items :
A box or capsule falling on top of you while you are comboing someone, thus ending your combo and adding on unnecessary damage to you.
Starman...enough said
Food...I think Ness is the only player in the game that can regain health, and is very situational. Getting an extra stock? No thanks.
Metal Box...Little to no knock-back...that even gives Pichu at 100% a chance against Ganondorf >.>.
Invisible thing (can't remember its name)...No extra damage taken? You get this at a low percent, you essentially get a Starman, just some knock-back on attacks.

Outside of those things, I'm perfectly fine with playing with items. Like someone said earlier, if there was an option to turn off randomly exploding boxes / capsules, I'd probably play with 'em more.
box- true but it seldom happens to me
starman well the AI evades you and if my enemy grabs it so do i
food- punch the person who is grabbing the food remember they don't move to get the food. in the case of someone grabbing a heart or an M tomato well that happens sometimes the best you can do it's just wait for another one or try to fight him without getting hit (wich is very hard but sometimes people make stupid mistakes that will give you back the advantage)
metal box- dude there's a stage where you have to defeat 2 metal characters... is very easy to do jsut throw them or throw them a bomb after some damage (though it is not a good strategy with pro players)
invisible thing- well just evade until is over.
it's true that it has some kind of luck factor but you just have to try to overcome it

well when i'm playing with just one friend sometimes i just play without items because is just 1Vs1... but in a 4Vs4 battle without items??? what's the point without items is still chaotic adding them will make it even more fun.

and by the way if the MLG decides to not play without items in brawl i'm gonna laugh a lot for the people who play with those rules. why? well think about it the final ball is an item.. and even if you eliminate the other ones it still keeps the "luck factor" that they hate
zidart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:55 PM   #933
SuperSonicX
FFR Player

Send a message via Yahoo to SuperSonicX

Some of the items on Melee were pretty annoying. But the only item I wish to see in action is the Golden Hammer. I just hope this one doesn't lose its head like the regular one.

If practice makes perfect, but no one has reached perfection, then why the hell practice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthlight
Welcome aboard. I'm a noob also, so don't feel bad.

Cheers,

Synthlight

Last edited by SuperSonicX; 10-29-2007 at 08:58 PM..
SuperSonicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:56 PM   #934
Buttoxin
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Ok... sorry for anybody who thinks I was posting like an ass... i truly didn't mean to offend anybody. I'll try to watch my posts a little more and think about what I say before I say it.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:05 AM   #935
RoastedNoob
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Classic mode confirmed! omg!! I don't like the way stocks look. =\
Little stupid button looking things. >.>

ps My first FMO FC tonight!
Old 10-30-2007, 02:49 AM   #936
slipstrike0159
FFR Player

Location: In the shadows behind you with my assassin's blade waiting to strike
Send a message via MSN to slipstrike0159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post

One can dream...
Look, this is why play n' trade is amazing. The one near me has SSBM tournaments every wednesday and its different each time. One tournament will be any character you want, 2 stock, Final Destination. Next week you will do Team battle with any character you want, 2 stock, Final Destination with betrayals on. Next week there will be a random tournament where you pick your character and stage out of a bag. The next week there will be a low and bottom teir tournament where you can only choose characters from the 2 bottom tiers. The next week will be random tier where you choose your tier out of a bag and then you get to choose what character you want from that tier. And all combinations inbetween.
The point is, there are ways to find skill in more than just who invests in a single character.

Even if the stages dont return, you can probably build a decent clone of them with the new stage builder option. Im guessing they did this to blanket all the stages they couldnt make to make everyone happy.

slipstrike0159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:36 AM   #937
SuperSonicX
FFR Player

Send a message via Yahoo to SuperSonicX

Classic mode has been brought back for this game. It pretty much looks the same except the fact that its on a better system. Everything seems the same with the character selection and the difficulties. Well its nothing new here, not really anyway.

If practice makes perfect, but no one has reached perfection, then why the hell practice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthlight
Welcome aboard. I'm a noob also, so don't feel bad.

Cheers,

Synthlight
SuperSonicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:55 AM   #938
Buttoxin
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Well it's mostly the same. The stage you actually go to is selected like SSB for the N64. For those of you who don't know, you faced the same character at their stage in the exact same order. Then Melee, everybody knows that. It's randomly chosen and you go to their stage. Brawl is now a combination of the 2. Random character order, but same stage order.

The coins aren't used for shopping... does that mean they're used for gambling again?
Old 10-30-2007, 07:28 AM   #939
masterhickle
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
The coins aren't used for shopping... does that mean they're used for gambling again?
I'd like for them to do something different with the coins in Brawl. While the gambling in melee was kinda fun, the only downside was that the coins get to be pointless pretty quick. They oughta do something like a crane game for trophies...I dunno.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:00 AM   #940
RoastedNoob
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Maybe they'll be like credits on FFR and unlock things in the game based on how many you have. lol

That'd be stupid, though. =p