Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2004, 09:43 AM   #61
flypie743
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to flypie743

Emccky does have a point. This is a game site and grammar isn't ALL IMPORTANT. However, it is good to use correct grammar because it makes you look more intelligent and it makes people respect you more. =/

IF YOU ARE THE BOMB YOU WILL CLICK THIS and if you dont, you suck.
flypie743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 10:39 AM   #62
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Quote:
Some authorities (like the Associated Press) insist on “farther” to refer to physical distance and on “further” to refer to an extent of time or degree, but others treat the two words as interchangeable except for insisting on “further” for “in addition,” and “moreover.” You’ll always be safe in making the distinction; some people get really testy about this.
I did not include this because there's really no difference.

Flypie and Emccky, you are still not getting the point of this thread. I am not trying to start an uprising against all people who fail to capitalize the letter "I" when they post something. I am not trying to get people to carefully review their posts everytime they want to submit something to keep it in accordance with "the proper way of things." I am simply making a reference guide for those that get confused when there's a choice between two similar things that have completely different meanings.

This is the most important thing I've found the entire thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypie
However, it is good to use correct grammar because it makes you look more intelligent and it makes people respect you more.
Nail on the head, Flypie. Does anybody respect dancer at all? No. It's partly because of his/her useless posts, but mostly because we can't even read them. I could name a few other examples, but we're just going to go with dancer for a while.

~Squeek

PS - Flypie, as there are no rules for emoticons, I do the same thing you do and do not end sentences that end with emoticons.
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 10:46 AM   #63
flypie743
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to flypie743

Quote:
I am not trying to start an uprising against all people who fail to capitalize the letter "I" when they post something.
*cough* Tasselfoot *cough*

Quote:
This is the most important thing I've found the entire thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flypie743
However, it is good to use correct grammar because it makes you look more intelligent and it makes people respect you more.

Nail on the head, Flypie.
:>

Yes, I see your point Sqeek. I think emccky is saying that you are stressing grammar too much. However, I see that is not your intention. You are just trying to make people aware of how they post. That's not a bad thing.

This should be stickied in the n00b forum, too >_>

Quote:
PS - Flypie, as there are no rules for emoticons, I do the same thing you do and do not end sentences that end with emoticons.
Heh. Tell tnyhwk that

IF YOU ARE THE BOMB YOU WILL CLICK THIS and if you dont, you suck.
flypie743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 11:37 AM   #64
emccky
Banned
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to emccky Send a message via MSN to emccky

I just think its absurd that you are doing this on an internet message board. I suppose it has its reasons, but most of the people type so that you can understand them.
emccky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 12:01 PM   #65
JurseyRider734
lil j the bad b-word
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to JurseyRider734 Send a message via Skype™ to JurseyRider734

I think as long as you can understand what the person is saying and they spell everything right, it doesn't really matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurseyRider734
the fact that you're resorting to threatening physical violence says a lot anyway.
Just that you're a piece of shit who can't see reason and instead deserves a fucking beating.
JurseyRider734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 12:47 PM   #66
stretchypanda
shock me shock me
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to stretchypanda

You're right, Eva, it shouldn't matter.

But then you consider people like me, who couldn't deal with a relationship because the boy couldn't spell (no joke). I'm just a little bit crazy like that. Guido informed me last night that I can't spell "opthamologist," otherwise known as what I want to be when I grow up. I was sad.

I think this is a great idea.. and also kind of funny, because most of what Squeek and Guido have written seems so obvious to me, so I laugh at the idea that it's not common knowledge.
stretchypanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 04:01 PM   #67
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

ophthamologist*

I just said you misspelled it once. But now that's up to twice. =)

Anyway, the quote Squeek had for the farther/further thing was right. Something is farther away with respect to coordinates, but further away in time. This should be a distinction made, not "accepted as interchangeable.

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 08:59 PM   #68
Jam930
FFR Player

....I'm the one who said that.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:38 PM   #69
Cenright
You thought I was a GUY?!
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Location: Beaumont (A town with 25 times fewer people than this site)
Send a message via AIM to Cenright Send a message via MSN to Cenright Send a message via Yahoo to Cenright

And you are furthering your cause. Is it more of an abstract use. Farther deals with distance, as Guido said.

And Emmcky, no one is making you use perfect grammar, but I know that if your job deals with any word processing, (a whole lot of them do) then you are going to be having trouble. If your abbreviations are so habitual, you will be seriously hindering your progress.

You can roll your eyes at that, but people will agree with me to at least some extent.

About a year ago, my proper grammar was what helped me gain my moderator position. Sure it wasn't the primary reason, but yes, it truely did help. I believe that people who take the time to complete their thoughts and their grammar show better character on average. That would be people who believe it is better to be seen in good light by others.

So many people say, "It doesn't matter what others think." It does in fact matter though. You deal with people every day of your life, and if you treat them all as if you appearance doesn't matter to them doesn't matter. Then they are going to be jumping to conslusions about you. They always say that first impressions leave their mark, so if you want to dump their opinion of you down the drain, then go ahead, but don't belittle us for caring about what you dislike.
Cenright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 09:51 PM   #70
JurseyRider734
lil j the bad b-word
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to JurseyRider734 Send a message via Skype™ to JurseyRider734

A lot of people that I know are smart don't type with all capitals, punctuation, and grammar correctly, but I still know they are smart because of the classes and grades they get. I'm just saying...as long as they know how to make a somewhat good impression, it doesn't really matter. They don't have to make everything perfect to be considered "smart"

zomg 69th post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurseyRider734
the fact that you're resorting to threatening physical violence says a lot anyway.
Just that you're a piece of shit who can't see reason and instead deserves a fucking beating.
JurseyRider734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 10:37 AM   #71
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

The most common reply I hear to grammar is "Yea, I'll write correctly in English or for a paper." Well, the fact is as Cenright said. When you constantly butcher your writing skills, it becomes habitual. Sometimes you'll make a mistake that Word will not pick up on and turn it in without noticing. I've seen it happen quite often, even in college.

"u no u cn gte a gud imprsin frm reedn dis btu u aslo no dat ti tkase lngr 2 reed"

I've seen worse, but that's just a prime example. It takes me about ten seconds longer to type that and takes the reader far longer to decipher it.

~Squeek
Old 12-12-2004, 01:21 PM   #72
evilbutterfly
FFR Player

Default RE: Free grammar lessons!

I think a lot of the grammatical rules are very frivolous. Like, there's nothing really wrong with "You are better than me at Stepmania." Also, "oh, woe is I" doesn't flow as well as "oh, woe is me." Then again, English isn't exactly made to flow and sound pretty like certain languages.

Honestly, Squeek, I think you take this too far. If you recall, I used to not capitalize and such because I'm a lazy bastard, but I followed all the rules and did my best to spell things correctly. Only reason I've started capitalizing things is because I got tired of being hounded about it. Seriously, you're just annoying, Squeek. The only people who need to be corrected are the uber n00bers who can't spell simple things correctly and don't use any punctuation and those whose posts are entirely incoherant. Simple mistakes and ignoring little rules (like prepositions at the end of a sentence) is no big deal, seriously.

I'd've thought that you'd realize how trivial this all is, but I suppose I was mistaken.

In less-depressing news, I got a job for an online business (which sells non-electronic games, of all things!) which has taught me a lot about marketing online and all that jazz.

So now I'm on Twitter @NoahWright.
And I write the blog for their website.

Plus I do cool programming in-house that you'll never see. =O
evilbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 01:40 PM   #73
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Why cannot anybody understand?!

I DO NOT CARE IF YOU USE "I" INSTEAD OF "ME" WHEN IT IS NOT OBVIOUS.

I DO NOT CARE IF YOU USE A COLON WHEN YOU SHOULD USE A SEMICOLON.

This is not hard to grasp. I cannot fathom the reason people fail to notice my basis of this thread!

Also, EB, I recall our debates long ago. You DO realize that after you began to type coherently, people gained respect for you, correct? You became popular in the 32-bit RGB and Static Junglegym forums, as well as everywhere else. You know this is true so don't whine about my necessity for proper grammar.

~Squeek
Old 12-12-2004, 01:43 PM   #74
tnyhwk900
FFR Player
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to tnyhwk900

I get it, Squeek. :>
Old 12-12-2004, 02:24 PM   #75
evilbutterfly
FFR Player

Squeek, they didn't suddenly start liking me because I capitalized things and typed your instead of ur, they suddenly started liking because I'm awesome :P.

But still, you nit-pick (knit? nit? I dunno, I've only heard it, not seen it) at others' grammar all the time. Sometimes you say you're joking, but it gets on our nerves...

In less-depressing news, I got a job for an online business (which sells non-electronic games, of all things!) which has taught me a lot about marketing online and all that jazz.

So now I'm on Twitter @NoahWright.
And I write the blog for their website.

Plus I do cool programming in-house that you'll never see. =O
evilbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 03:32 PM   #76
Kuramas_Gurl677
FFR Player

Default Thanks! I really needed that lesson...lmao

Kuramas_Gurl677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 04:48 AM   #77
Jam930
FFR Player

Default Re: RE: Free grammar lessons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbutterfly
Squeek, they didn't suddenly start liking me because I capitalized things and typed your instead of ur, they suddenly started liking because I'm awesome :P.

But still, you nit-pick (knit? nit? I dunno, I've only heard it, not seen it) at others' grammar all the time. Sometimes you say you're joking, but it gets on our nerves...

Your change has impressed the lot of us.

Don't argue against a good thing. Of course small things are acceptable but encouraging people to use correct spelling and grammar can only really be positive, at least in the long run. It won't kill you even if it's annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbutterfly
MY ENGLISH TEACHER IS THE DEVIL!!!
Old 12-14-2004, 06:42 AM   #78
GeneticCarnage
FFR Player

I already know what I need to know, and I think you should just leave everyone alone about it.
GeneticCarnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 07:58 AM   #79
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: RE: Free grammar lessons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticCarnage
I already know what I need to know, and I think you should just leave everyone alone about it.
I am.

Nobody reads anything I say anymore. I want to just quote it thousands of times so people understand that I'm not pushing for a massive revolution in grammar.

EB, I'd look for the thread where you started posting legibly and quote all the people suddenly saying nice things about you, but I don't want to have to look for it.

~Squeek
Old 12-14-2004, 10:15 AM   #80
GeneticCarnage
FFR Player

Default RE: Re: RE: Free grammar lessons!

I may have missed something, I only had thirty seconds to skim through what you typed. I know all the shortcuts in reading.
GeneticCarnage is offline   Reply With Quote