Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 03:42 PM   #61
ilikexd
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Any way to not feel this way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug31 View Post
2. The social disconnect. I don't feel on the same ground on the forums as the players that have the really hard skill tokens. It's an extra way they can connect but I can't, and although I've added a bunch of them to my ignore list, it still just seems so annoying all the time. As it stands now, I would rather just try to stay away from them. And they like their little elite group so that they'll defend the tokens, and seeing that they probably make the majority of the posts around here since most of the weaker players have already had enough of the worse than locked content and quit. As such, the tokens are probably not going away.
It's not the tokens, bro.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:43 PM   #62
( ゚д゚)彡
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Old 07-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #63
mi40
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

why do you not share miku with your family members, that's a social disconnect right there dude damn, gotta love your fam homeboyiez first
Old 07-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #64
Frank Munoz
Vophie
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

confused

Main thing you have to know is that:
the things other players have on FFR worked for it.
It's not like they inherited the damn tokens/titles.

I also had another thing to say but I forgot. woop
Old 07-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #65
PriestREA
ddkdkd
D8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
This reminds me of all the "I'm sick of this game because I'm bad" threads that you see in MMO forums. That shit is killing WoW and it's sad to see the exact tone of post here in FFR, a place that is usually relatively free of this kind of thing.

There are people who have more natural skill/put in more effort and they deserve something for that. That's cool.

Enjoy the game for what it is. You should be playing it for your enjoyment, not... epeen, or recognition, or whatever. If you think that the people designing the game (i.e. the simfile artists) should change their focus, then just mention it concicesly and constructively.

"In my opinion, the game should have more easy files and fewer hard tokens."

vs.

"blah blah social disconnect blah target audience blah blah psychology effects"

Honestly if you are not enjoying a game, don't play it. Why is this so hard to understand for some people...
It is certainly shitting the bed in the WoW community. There is always someone in Orgrimmar or someone in a dungeon who's mad because they can't find the best gear, resulting in them shit talking players who've achieved it. If you haven't achieved it, you just haven't. No need to antagonize or dwell on those who have.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #66
Poison-
Nope
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I recommend quitting.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #67
JohnRedWolf87
Backlogger of Hobbies
FFR Veteran

I'm OCD when it comes to everything. My goal in my short life-span is to:

*100% all my video games (out of like 500+ and growing)
*AAA and unlock every song in FFR.
*Read all the Marvel comics.
*Read all the good novels (especially the Star Wars books).
*Achieve all badges on Kongregate.com.
*Watch all the good movies and TV shows.

I am well aware that I'd be considered lucky to complete even 1 of these goals, especially with that thing called life getting in the way. I'm not going to let my hobbies turn me into a shut-in, for crying out loud. But despite the impossibility of these goals, I still have fun. They give me something to do when I have free time.

tl;dr: impossible goals can be fun. If they stop being fun, stop doing them.

Also, if the afterlife has these things, I'll be in business.

xBBx Takedown's First Tournament - 2nd Place (Beginner)
ZC_Wolfy's Birthday Tournament - 3rd Place (Novice)
Dragons_Fury One Division Higher Tourney - 2nd Place (Novice)
Samurai7694's Ultimate Enduring Fabulous Tournament - 3rd Place (D1)
Dark_Chrysalis' 1st FFR Bowl - 2nd Place (D1), 13th place overall
Panic4Me and MrMagic's Thanksgiving Tournament - 2nd Place (D1)

Last edited by JohnRedWolf87; 07-16-2013 at 05:12 PM..
Old 07-16-2013, 05:02 PM   #68
evanescence_death4ever
where'sTHEdrain?!
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug31 View Post
4. The target audience and its implications. Back in the old days, I had played this game more than anyone else. I thought it was one of the most fun games ever made and it was made so that the highly dedicated fans like myself could really enjoy it. But now look. It's clearly catering to the very best players as the target audience. So, the staff, or some subset of it, hates all non-elite players. That's probably not the case, but that's how it comes across to me.
(Can't reply to everything right now, but I thought I'd contribute my opinion).

I whole-heartedly disagree with your view on the target audience and its implications. No, I haven't been on FFR since the beginning, but 6 years is an okay amount of time--and I am nowhere near being an elite. And by elite, I wouldn't consider the players I consider elite as "elitists" by any means. (I know it's not mentioned in this exact segment, but in other parts). I love this community, and I've had good encounters with staff. With some the encounters have been wonderful. I don't think the community is ALL about the game, anyway. I'm barely a D2 player. I think people still enjoy it. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I have not seen people looking down and hating on these "non-elite" players you speak of. Heck, I'm one of those "non-elite" players! I've never put enough time into actually getting good at this game, and I know I haven't. I don't think you have evidence to back up this argument. The staff and players are very welcoming. Holding challenges that aren't always directly related to skill at this game, switching things up, making tournaments with all levels included, etc. In this section, I feel like you just sent down an attack on the staff, and an implicit attack on the supposed "target audience" of "elite" players. Those are people who I know to be friendly, supportive, and yeah--most of them also happen to have crazy skill that I joke around is impossible...but it's the time spent actually playing this game! Don't hate on the community.

"Life is always downhill, everyone is heading towards death every day. It's up to you to look for the hills you can climb up instead
Or something
I just made that up but it sounds good" ~alloyus~
Old 07-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #69
PriestREA
ddkdkd
D8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I can't even begin to explain how much I disagree with everything in your post - especially the notes and examples you bring to light regarding the so called "elitists" in FFR. Certainly, there are top tier players, and as stated by Evanescence, they are certainly the FFR "elite". You do not have the justification or right to antagonize our top tier players with a word like "elitist" or its roots because you refuse to dedicate similar amounts of time to the game. Some people have played for a shorter duration and have increased in skill far more rapidly, but that is just them - they are able to hone their skills easily. Others play for countless years and see a much smaller improvement. By no standard do I mean to offend here, but if I take a look at a player like Hakulyte, FFR's highest overall scored player, he is still in D5 and hasn't quite moved out of it. Some people reach a physical limit and it is possible Haku has hit his. Yet, Hakulyte has not (to my knowledge) complained as you have about not being able to unlock the D7 token (or any other token for that matter) as he realizes that he's very likely reached his own physical limit.

I, myself frequent Stepmania online as of late and have played with some of the top tier players in FFR that you call elitists. I've played with Dynamo, Isaac and Shadow among others and more often than not I finish dead last in the rankings. You may consider that unfair, right? Anything but. Dynamo has dedicated so many hours to this game to hone his MA, slaved hours on just 1 song to shave off just 1 perfect - much like Isaac and Shadow have done as well. I am someone who likes to get better scores, but until I reach the dedication of either of these players, it's very safe for me to not expect those scores anytime soon. I play Stepmania to compare my scores to the best, see how much closer I can get to the world record for my personal achievement, and not for anyone else. Whenever I get better MA on a song, I post it with high regard for my skill improvement, as the other best players do. Just because Stepmania players can't be as fast as Stai, it doesn't mean they should antagonize him. People like Stai are top-tier, the 1% of Stepmania players around the world. You can't just expect to be part of that 1%. Accept your current skill level, and if you want to improve: practice and get better. Eventually you'll realize your hard limit is likely less than FFR and Stepmania's best players.

If you can't accept these things, then it might be best you depart FFR and find a game that deems this attitude acceptable
Old 07-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #70
Guest15937
One-handed elite
FFR Veteran

Well, I personally look at the skill tokens as achievements, and, of course, not everyone who ever plays every game has the skill to unlock every single achievement in it. Same with event tokens like TWWW and vROFL- these are no different than say, holiday items in other games. They only belong to the handful that are active and skillful enough to unlock them, and I, being D2, know that at this point, I'm only capable of maybe getting 70%-80% of them.

Normal tokens need to just be made public though, most of the links you used to get them are probably dead and this makes them unobtainable content.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #71
Hakulyte
the Haku
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Bunch of random ideas:

- Give alternative ways to unlock every tokens.
- If you want difficult challenges for bragging rights use a badge system that gives different reward than game content. (credits, special badge points(?))
- Move songs that can't be physically AAA'd by Tier 0 players to token level ranks (DP, RATO, CP, etc.)
- Add the option in FFR Shop to unlock secret songs permanently for 150k credits. (FFR Secret Songs was not created with Gambling Hall in mind.)
- Add a new stats bar for Token Level Ranks and throw whatever hardcore idea you want at it (mention that token level ranks contains songs that aren't intended to be AAA'd etc.)
Old 07-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #72
Nullifidian
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

If you really so desperately want to play the file, ask for the simfile by the original author or whatever. Don't complain about not being able to unlock it cause you lack the skill to do so. That's not how you get shit done in any aspect of life. It should be an incentive to improve yourself, instead of seeing it as a reason to whine and have it handed to you. If you think the payoff of skill vs reward is not good enough, then you're free to leave.

They should give everyone a gold medal at the olympics, even the audience otherwise it'd be unfair right? ;-;
Old 07-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #73
Banned
FFR Veteran

any way to not feel this way...?

hmmm

quit
Old 07-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #74
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to korny

Get better, get over it, or a combo of the two.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:52 AM   #75
Garquillex
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I'm pretty sure he said he's ignoring tokens, not posters...
Old 07-17-2013, 07:01 AM   #76
Banned
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garquillex View Post
I'm pretty sure he said he's ignoring tokens, not posters...
2. The social disconnect. I don't feel on the same ground on the forums as the players that have the really hard skill tokens. It's an extra way they can connect but I can't, and although I've added a bunch of them to my ignore list, it still just seems so annoying all the time. As it stands now, I would rather just try to stay away from them. And they like their little elite group so that they'll defend the tokens, and seeing that they probably make the majority of the posts around here since most of the weaker players have already had enough of the worse than locked content and quit. As such, the tokens are probably not going away.

re-read this. understand it.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:11 AM   #77
infinity.
sideways 8
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to infinity.

alternative unlocks for tokens is the dumbest idea ever

nerds
Old 07-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #78
Ohaider
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Old 07-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #79
Fission
no
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakulyte View Post
- Move songs that can't be physically AAA'd by Tier 0 players to token level ranks (DP, RATO, CP, etc.)
strongly disagree with this. every file in ffr except for vrofl is AAAable. rob already AAA'd CP, dossar got an sdg on DP because of the vibro at the end (which is AAAable, mind you; just need consistency), and RATO is just all-around really hard, but everything in it is AAAable.

Last edited by Fission; 07-17-2013 at 03:16 PM..
Old 07-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #80
Doug31
Falcon Paaaauuuunch!!!!!!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Doug31

Okay, a bunch of points to make here.

1. I really did ignore posters. If I'm in a different plane than them, it's best to only focus on the posters I might have a decent chance to actually make friends with.

2. You guys seem to be under the impression that not only have they all worked harder and played more than me, but also that I can somehow get as good as them. If you count all of accounts and time playing StepMania, I've probably played more than almost everyone. And yet, a lot of people are still a lot better than I am. They've gotten rewards for naturally being better than me, not simply by working harder.

3. TC_Halogen, sorry I wasn't aware of those challenges for tiny amounts of credits.

4. I'm not a completionist and I don't want to AAA every file of FFR. But when it comes to games, I'm a completionist in terms of at least unlocking everything, then I like to mess around with all the stuff a game has to offer after I've unlocked everything. With this game, it really doesn't seem like that's an option.

5. Internal motivation is stronger than external. Back before these existed, we all seemed to have our own good reasons to get better. But that is lost when external motivation is present. I feel less like getting better than in the old days.

6. To those that talked about where I said the game is so fun. Something can be both fun and depressing at the same time. It's something like eating a 5-pound cheeseburger. It was fun but now you probably don't feel too good.

7. I'm sorry for using the word "elitist" I just used that for lack of a better word but really I did not mean any of the implications it has.