Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-7-2011, 01:22 AM   #61
hi19hi19
lol happy
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: FFR 6th Official Tourney Songs Discussion: Round 4

Final reviews all in once place. Overall not too bad except for D4... which is of course the file I will be playing the most over the next week. Funny how that works.

Jumper
Generally a nice D1 file.
I wish something else was layered in the part that's just 4th notes- there's some drum stuff and a melody (which is layered in the section after, so I can see why it wasn't here) that were both ignored in that part. Nothing too wrong, it just stood out a little as feeling empty.
Overall quite fun and a nice addition to the game.

Sunless Daybreak [Heavy]
Actually, believe it or not this is my favorite file this round. It's simple- very, very simple- but it's proof a file doesn't have to be complicated technical colormanias to be enjoyable.
Nothing I really would have changed and I had lots of fun playing it, nice work.
Sightread blackflagged it like a pro >_<

wiinter dream
Second favorite file this round. Flows really well and I love the swing feel.
Apparently I reviewed this about a month ago which might be why I like it (I actually completely forget reviewing this)
The roll difficulty spike is a little suspect but not too bad. It's fast but at least it has very nice patterns in it so it won't be as bad for the D3 players to whore.
Sightread blackflagged it like a pro >_<

SAMBISTA
Numerous issues with missed rhythms, layering inconsistencies, general awkwardness... add in the fact that the rolls have some seriously ****ed framers going on too.
I've already bashed this file enough but suffice to say I quite dislike basically every part of it :/

Halcyon
File of the Year for 98% of it. Let's pretend the other 2% doesn't exist ~
I asked bmah to give me the original and fixed the like 6 arrows I don't like, I now have a new top 5 favorite SM file.

Mourning the Lost
A fairly simple jumpstream file, but generally well stepped.
I can see why others might not like it, but as far as I am concerned I enjoy it. Definitely going to be a controversial file for a lot of people, as I would only expect from Dossar at this point lmfao

hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-7-2011, 01:28 AM   #62
Xx{Midnight}xX
FFR Player

I was bored and played a two of these.

D4 chart = Why would you chart it this way? (Camel style chart AKA Dislike it because it is in my opinion worlds harder than it should be based on song intensity.) (Subjective but honest thought is that I don't like it. When the tourney ends might I suggest turning this into a token?)

D6's chart = Rip this out of the game when the round ends. Seriously. There had to be better choices than this. (No offense at you guys, but, how does garbage like this make it through judging? Also NEVER for the love of god step shit songs like this again.)

Edit: let me be clear I guess on the D6 chart. I don't dislike it at all because it's a Doss chart, I dislike it because it's just bad.
Xx{Midnight}xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-7-2011, 01:33 AM   #63
hi19hi19
lol happy
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

What's so bad about the D6 chart?

There's the difficulty- this isn't really a legitimate complaint in my eyes as, yes, there will be charts too hard for you in this game. Plus it fits the intensity of the song, can't deny that.
Then there's the framer weirdness- I blame FFR conversion for this. It's really hard to avoid, not something you can really consciously do when making a file for FFR. A legitimate complaint, but not really the stepartist's fault.
There's the song choice- clearly not everybody's cup of tea with the song choice, but that shouldn't factor into judging the file itself.

Honestly I quite liked it. Brutally hard, sure, but still enjoyable in my eyes and not technically all that wrong.

hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-7-2011, 01:36 AM   #64
ScarletSky
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

MtL is a technically correct, there's nothing substantially wrong with it either.
It's just got that "dossar" feel to it like every other dossar file does.

ScarletSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-7-2011, 01:42 AM   #65
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletSky View Post
It's just got that "dossar" feel to it like every other dossar file does.
what does that even mean lmao
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-7-2011, 01:46 AM   #66
smartdude1212
2 is poo
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

It means you want to kill yourself with a pickaxe after playing through half the song (because the second half will be remarkably similar to the first).
smartdude1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-7-2011, 01:52 AM   #67
ScarletSky
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartdude1212 View Post
It means you want to kill yourself with a pickaxe after playing through half the song (because the second half will be remarkably similar to the first).
pretty much this.

ScarletSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-7-2011, 01:59 AM   #68
00Razor00
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to 00Razor00 Send a message via Skype™ to 00Razor00

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartdude1212 View Post
lmfaooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rogdor View Post
hey buddy are you looking for a good song to step because if so i really recommend you step In Front Of A Bus
00Razor00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-7-2011, 02:06 AM   #69
awein999
(ಠ⌣ಠ)
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to awein999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post

D4 chart = Why would you chart it this way? (Camel style chart AKA Dislike it because it is in my opinion worlds harder than it should be based on song intensity.) (Subjective but honest thought is that I don't like it. When the tourney ends might I suggest turning this into a token?)

D6's chart = Rip this out of the game when the round ends. Seriously. There had to be better choices than this. (No offense at you guys, but, how does garbage like this make it through judging? Also NEVER for the love of god step shit songs like this again.)

Edit: let me be clear I guess on the D6 chart. I don't dislike it at all because it's a Doss chart, I dislike it because it's just bad.
Usually when you don't like something a reasonable person would say "I don't like this because x was blah blah, y was blah blah blah, and z was blah blah blah blah." That is fine and your opinion would then be accepted by me even if I totally disagree. Saying something like "Rip this out of the game when the round ends." And the ending with "it's just bad" is downright stupid. That is a very strong opinion and you must realize that it is just your opinion without any actual factual evidence stated here. And without any evidence your opinion is going to be ignored because it means nothing.

Midnight doesn't like these songs so we should never chart them ever like this again. For now on lets just make quad quarter notes to the beat of every song to please Master Midnight.
awein999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-7-2011, 02:18 AM   #70
MikeShinoda12345
*\(^o^)/*
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Halcyon is ridiculously hard to score on and I wish i could just bag on it forever but...

THIS FILE IS SO AWESOMELY FUN OMGGGGG

whoring this might actually be a pleasure.
MikeShinoda12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-7-2011, 02:34 AM   #71
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonid View Post
You should try bmah's charts for Rock Rock Rock and All My Turn lmfao
I saw all my turn and it looks kinda fun lmfao

although I like jacking anyway soooooo0o0o0o
Old 12-7-2011, 04:20 AM   #72
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

I'll bash all these files when I get home from work
Old 12-7-2011, 04:36 AM   #73
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post

Xx{Madnight}xX
Old 12-7-2011, 07:33 AM   #74
Hateandhatred
"The Quebec Steparatist."
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

****, here we go again for round 4!

Division 1: Jumper.

Moar liek...

"Survive round 3, D1'ers, and you get to play round 3 part 2."

Nah, they aren't that similar, but I had that feeling still, from the beats. Not as funky though, obviously. But I think that the ones that AAA'd last round's file for D1 will be pleased with this one as well. It's only a little bit harder...

Anyway, this is another high quality file for our beginner division. So far, they've only got fun charts and sweet songs. Just for that, I'd like to be a D1 dude.

I predict a loadshit of AAAs for this one. Once you got the patterns in your head, you're all set for the perfect score, I guess? Not many variations nor is it technical.

I would also pretty much predict a lot of rage saying "This isn't a 7!", but D1 are coolioes and don't give much more than two flying ****s about the file's level. Wish people could follow that example! Changing a 8 to a 9 or some shit doesn't change the file itself so who cares????!?! But let's not get off topic here.

Not much else to say due to simplicity of the file. It's short. It's great. It's fun. Good work Niala!

Division 2: Sunless Daybreak.

Yay for best file so far for D2! You rock, Kayla! ^^

Anyway, as far as this is my division's song, I have to say: "Woah, ****ing hell. I'm so not AAAing that any soon", because like the frontpage post says, it's a huge step in difficulty. In my opinion, it's the second biggest difficulty increase so far in the tournament.

First time I played it, I couldn't help but think of an early 90's show's intro, lulz. Actually I still can't help but think about that! xD

It's pretty complex. Possibly every single pattern has been used for the gallops (or whatever you call those, but you know what I'm talking about if you played that file), so D2 has to train a lot to nail that one down. Those patterns should be looped individually into an isolation file, ahahaha. Then we'd come out of this all D3 material xD (nope.jpg)!

Also, it's not especially better than the other one already in game. It's just harder. Both are great files for 2 different crowds.

Like with D1, great round 4 stuff we got here. Second best lvl 8 file so far =D (Yup, still playing Glorious Morning).

Diiviision 3: Wiinter Dream.

Rofl at the endiing. Ii'm pretty sure a whole bunch of people wiill get piissed off at iit!

The song iis cool. Iit has a niice wiinter/snow feeliing! But on the other hand, iit has no cliimax, or any special feature. Iit's liike an elevator song remiix.

As far as the fiile, there are some brutally frustratiing diifiiculty spiikes. Two of them iin partiicular. One consiistiing of rolls and bursts and the endiing. Iif D3 get those naiiled down, they won't have too much trouble wiith iit.

To sum iit up: I liike iit. Good job Bmah! ^^

(Ok, this "ii shiit" isn't funny at all, but too lazy to edit. =3)

Division 4: SAMBISTA.

AHAHAHA, good luck guys, that's a hard one. No AAA fest for you here.

Aw, D4 always get impossible stuff to deal with. And when it's not impossible, they get a song that's borderline too easy for them and it's AAA or die at the end of the road. So either way, competition in D4 is still awfully heavy.

Bmah did a great job again. It's a wtf song with a wtf file, very very awkward, like we all like them.

Ok, we don't all like them like that. But I like it. It's not something I'd like to whore out and I'm pretty sure that at least 99.9% of D4 will agree as they will probably tear their faces apart because of the unconvenience of this chart.

The song is bizarre but still pretty cool. It has a nice flow and lot of potential for stepping.

The thing is, the stepping for this song is the complete opposite of what I would have imagined for this chart, lulz.

It's also pretty damn inconsistent, and especially less constant. But in my honest opinion, it's better that way.

Real nice addition to the database. That's all!

Division 5: Halcyon (Xi)

Lol at the irony here. Halcyon is one of the easiest files ever, and Xi is the author of the song which has the most technical file out there, with the exception of Vrofl.

Anyway, it has nothing to do with the Halcyon that we all know. It's a really great file, but honestly, I feel like it doesn't belong at all. It feels like a stepmania file. Or even a DDR/ITG file... But still, it's the best song/chart this round, and quite possibly of this entire tournament so far.

The chart... Is just WOW hard. The difficulty increase from last round is just retardedly insane. I believe it's still material our dear D5'ers will be able to handle, but no AAA fest here coming down the road either.

This is also, in my opinion, the most controversial level rating so far. I'm not gonna bitch about it for a million years, but... FMO, really? I feel like more than half the FGOs out there are easier than this one. I'm not kidding. I put it on par with Winter Wind Etude. Or even a bit harder.

But there again, this submission isn't really destined to my level of playing. Maybe I just can't see through this one that easily.

But I've never felt like I couldn't at the very least combo a FMO. Maybe, at the very least, I have a few non-mash comboing blocks on some of them, but... Anyway. I'm pretty sure that it's a FMO no matter what. Just one of the hardest ones out there.

Never the less, genius file. Excellent job Bmah, you surpassed yourself here.

Division 6: Mourning the Lost

Dossar, I apologize.

I told you to stay away from making file in round 2.

Yet this is pretty ****ing good. =)

Best file for D6 so far. Also, second best file in the entire tournament as well, only surpassed by D5's file for this round.

It's pretty stamina demanding, without going overboard with it. You gotta love the jumpstreams (I can't play them, but I can read them at least), really well put! Most of the parts were meant to be charted without even thinking about it and Dossar knew it. Usually I blame his material for the opposite thing, for doing stuff the way it is not meant to be. But here, nah, flawless work.

The first example that comes to mind is the part that goes like this.

[2]
[2-3]
[2]
[2-3]
(repeat)

It's something that I wished really hard to happen on my sightread run.

As far as the song, well, I like metal, but I'm not too big on the xcore stuff. However, no particular disdain for Mourning the Lost. I'd say it's a better-end one, as I happen to consider xcore stuff to be metal trolls (I like all kinds of music, and I try to keep open minded as much as possible, but I can't help that!). But I have to admit that it's good (This is really murdering my inner metalhead pride, lol), but you won't see me call it metal.

It's better than most of the xcore shit on here though. I think it's the best one.

Endnote.

Best round so far as, in my opinion, every submission is just plain brilliant. Gotta sucks for the eliminated as they won't get to feel the heats of the competition with such quality material!

Also interesting, most of them feel like old FFR files. I mean, you know, those early blue notes charts?

Anyway, I'll have to keep track of the dashboard multiple times daily. This round is gonna be so great.

Good luck to every cat out there! ^^

EDIT: As always, if anybody has anything to suggest I talk about in my weekly reviews, please tell me! ^^

I'm also getting even moar positive comments regarding those. I don't say that to be cocky, but more as "Thank you to everyone who did that! It's nice to know that what you do is appreciated! ^^"

Last edited by Hateandhatred; 12-7-2011 at 10:16 AM..
Hateandhatred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-7-2011, 07:47 AM   #75
iironiic
D6 FFR Legacy Player

Reading this entire thread, I am just realizing how ignorant and biased a few people are about giving reviews on files in general. You all should keep in mind that no file is stepped wrong and although certain patterns may not be friendly, you can't let that determine if the overall quality of the file is good or bad.

Also nice reviews HateandHatred (:
iironiic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-7-2011, 08:35 AM   #76
Hateandhatred
"The Quebec Steparatist."
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers View Post
If anyone says the D5 song is not an FMO, you suck.
Sorry! xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by iironiic View Post
Also nice reviews HateandHatred (:
Thanks Wilson, it's appreciated! =)
Old 12-7-2011, 09:09 AM   #77
Xayphon
sausage

Found Halcyon and wiinter dream very good
Xayphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-7-2011, 09:13 AM   #78
~Zeta~
Flag Master
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Why was Mourning rushed when it wasn't sync'd? It's between 0 and 1 offset for me but doesn't match up. Also, I don't see why there's so many bpm changes in this file. It's pretty static at 220 bpm. Seems like a bad use of DDream.
Old 12-7-2011, 09:13 AM   #79
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

Quote:
Originally Posted by who_cares973 View Post
I'll bash all these files when I get home from work
i just got home from work

all the files are shit
Old 12-7-2011, 09:20 AM   #80
kmay
Don't forget me
FFR Veteran

ugh, so hard to FC this damn file!!!

i feel like the 2 random jacks at the end were just added for difficulty purposes >:[

Last edited by kmay; 12-7-2011 at 09:30 AM..
kmay is offline   Reply With Quote