Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Audio and Music Production
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2018, 09:47 AM   #1
Travis_Flesher
Champion
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Recommend me some 2018 albums halp

Ray this blog is solid gold.
I may be wrong but I assume you're a hidden gem author.
A lot of naysayers will hate on the defamation but I think this has enough snowball to avalanche the other guys.
You need a Jerry Maguire bro.. Have you considered publishing?
Old 01-23-2018, 01:04 PM   #2
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Day 435: Good Morning Spider by Sparklehorse (Album Choice: vaguelyhumanoid)

I'm so lazy as to not wanna listen to the majority of the canon, but here we go. I'm interrupting my 50th consecutive loop of Midnight In A Perfect World for this, so guesstimate my mood.

That first song made my expectations way too high. I came into this expecting a bunch of sadsack shit, but then got greeted with a wonderful, pop-punky lo-fi treat... and then it went right into a bunch of sadsack shit. I don't mean that disparagingly, I just wanted way more like the first song, and it really doesn't even get close, a little bit of fuzz doesn't match that energy and maybe like 3 or 4 of these songs even have that fuzz, the rest is acoustic and orchestrated like an indie band would. Many of these songs are pretty, for sure (here comes the obligatory list: the slow folk-popper Sunshine, muffled chamber dirge Come On In, orchestrated lullaby Hundreds of Sparrows, and beautifully spare closer Junebug are some of only a few highlight) but I expected more variance.

Damn, this is like that Sweet Trip album where one song stands over all the others so obviously. Wait, I didn't make that clear in my review of that album? Well, now I am, and guess which one it is, because it's obvious. Anyways, back to this, yeah, I needed more aggressive fuzz because actually, revisiting, these other fuzzy songs kinda suck... Especially Sick Of Goodbyes which is throwaway pop to me. Happy Man is aight I suppose. And the little interludes also do nothing for me. That leaves the mopey songs I was ragging on earlier, but honestly, the good ones make for a pretty decent album. Reviewing canon shit usually sucks out the ass, this time it sucked a LITTLE bit less I think.

I like to harp on one thing over and over again.

Best Track: Pig
Rating: 7/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.

Last edited by rayword45; 01-23-2018 at 01:04 PM..
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 05:56 PM   #3
PixlSM
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayword45 View Post
I'm interrupting my 50th consecutive loop of Midnight In A Perfect World for this, so guesstimate my mood.
I mean it is the best song on Endtroducing... although I imagine "Insight! Foresight! Moresight! The clock on the wall reads a quarter past midnight..." would get old after 50 listens lmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayword45 View Post
that Sweet Trip album where one song stands over all the others so obviously
I hope you aren't referring to Halica Bliss Out or Velocity : Design : Comfort

Last edited by PixlSM; 01-24-2018 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: put a fucking smiley in the album title
PixlSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:38 PM   #4
rayword45

Day 436: Tryshasla by Secede (Album Choice: korny)

Somehow I came into this expecting a trip-hop album... I really don't know why. I've listened to this album like 5 times now and it's still really hard to put into words. It has boring parts (the intro is far too long, some of these long songs could poise to have their ends chopped off) but it also has some pretty parts (Leraine, Friday Fall, We No Longer Need Ourselves. the first half of The Realms Of Sanda). Yeah, nothing else to say except it also was pretty damn dope intoxicated.

Best Track: Leraine

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:02 PM   #5
PixlSM
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

when are you doing lda
Old 02-20-2018, 09:53 PM   #6
rayword45

I'll try to get to it soon

Day 437: Need To Feel Your Love by Sheer Mag (Album Choice: marsbars)

I tried to listen to the 2017 release from MACHINE GIRL that I'm too lazy to spell the title out to, but a few tracks after a banging first track and I just got half-bored, half-annoyed, all-I-don't-want-to-finish-this. So let's try this instead. I'm still checking out 2017 albums? No, not really but eh, whatever.

...Who the fuck is this guy... lady... okay yeah I checked it's a woman. Anyways, who the fuck is this lady tryna sound like? Joan Jett? Ozzy? Because it's not nearly as listenable as either, and the riffs here don't make up for the fact so far. This just sounds like a mix between bland indie pop and shitty twangy truckdrivin music from too many decades ago. Every time something seems like it has potential, I'm immediately disappointed. Oh, what's this pretty jangling progression entitled? Expect The Bayonet oh okay highli- ah wait nevermind, this is just more generic cowpower pop. Cow pop. Cower pop. Power cow.

Holy fuck, why did they make this thing 43 minutes? It's not like there's significant variation or anything of the sort to be found here. Okay, I'm one-quarter of the way through. I already bitched out of one album, let's not make it two... Oh but this one is so much worse so far. Oh well, I ain't gonna be a little bitch again.

I can just sense that these guys are trying to go for mild variation like, well, most every other band, but it's hard to tell. Is Until You Find The One supposed to be a soft song? Why the hell is she screaming then? I'm starting to contemplate whether or not this is meant to be enjoyed "ironically" (like, it sounds so fucking outdated) but I can still enjoy other "ironic" genres like vaporwave.

The guitar tones remind me of Radio City, but the songwriting is so unremarkable and the performance is so grating that I think I'd rather listen to Like Flies On Sherbert. Or that MACHINE GIRL album I quit. The 2017 list remains untouched.

Best Track: The first few seconds of Expect The Bayonet
Rating: 2.5/10

Old 02-20-2018, 10:21 PM   #7
rayword45

Day 438: Songs For The Recently Sad by Soccer Mommy (Album Choice: g.o.ry)

This album better be better than the last one. Seems mildly obscure, which I don't care about except I hope that means there's a lo-fi aesthetic here.

So far, yeah this is pretty damn lo-fi, and it's soft and pretty. Shitty production values with noise creates more noise, whereas tape hiss and crackle usually makes a quiet acoustic affair seem all the more personal and intimate. Clearly, I'm a sucker for bad aesthetic.

I don't find this particular EP all that personally resonant, but goddamnit this is what I was missing from the last album, affecting songwriting! And a general sense that I'm supposed to enjoy this for what it actually is, simple fingerpicked indie folk. There's nothing here making me go "WOW!" especially, but there's absolutely nothing offensive here, it's all pure, floaty pleasantries... Is that the right definition of pleasantries? I hope not.

I can certainly see myself returning to this one on a lonely, muggy summer day. Wait, fuck, I wrote this entire review comparing it to another album that doesn't even sound similar. Ah well, a simplistic release gets a simplistic review... Except simplicity isn't the flaw here. Fuck you.

Best Track: Memories

Old 02-21-2018, 10:37 AM   #8
rayword45

Day 439: Goths by The Mountain Goats (Album Choice: college peoples)

Y'all already know how much I love this band. This is supposedly the "no guitars" album which is worrisome, but hey I've been wrong most of my life. I've also heard a bunch of these songs live already, some of them twice, yet I promise you I won't remember shit.

Well, actually I vaguely remember this opening song being played live, albeit much sparer in arrangement. This one rocks pretty hard, but after that it seems to mostly be soft chamber pop. In fact, it feels like Darnielle spent way more time on figuring out how to make the orchestration sound like an indie 90s release than writing lyrics. I know that last sentence is objectively false, but the lyrics here pale in comparison to my favorite albums of his, and that's all I'm looking for! Maybe it's because I'm not a goth, but goddamnit I'm severely depressed and that ought to count for something.

Anyways, there's a mix of great songs and boring-to-cheesy song (what the fuck is Wear Black?) but none of it has the energy or strike of his earlier albums besides the first track. It's mostly just pretty yet inconsequential quiet stuff.

A perfectly middling album. Also, is it me or does Rage In Travers sound like a certain Tame Impala song?

Best Track: Rain In Soho
Rating: 6/10

Old 02-22-2018, 05:16 PM   #9
Shodzzy
FFR Player

Send a message via Yahoo to Shodzzy Send a message via Skype™ to Shodzzy

If ur talking about songs...

"Uncommon Knowledge" by K.A.A.N
great one, I'm listening to it as I type, it makes me wanna get outta the house and backflip into a drain

dont ask pls

1. pedophilia?

2. statutory rape?

3. masturbation?
goood mythical morning
Shodzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:22 PM   #10
PixlSM
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodzzy View Post
If ur talking about songs...

on a side note you should listen to ryuichi sakamoto + alva noto's new live album, Glass while you are still doing 2018 stuff
Old 02-23-2018, 04:44 AM   #11
Shodzzy
FFR Player

Send a message via Yahoo to Shodzzy Send a message via Skype™ to Shodzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixlSM View Post

Pls let me post this on Comment awards discord lmfao holy shit i was so stoned... sorry bout that

1. pedophilia?

2. statutory rape?

3. masturbation?
goood mythical morning
Shodzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:02 PM   #12
rayword45

Day 440: All Melody by Nils Frahm (Album Choice: Traviud)

I'm not entirely sure what minimalism exactly is, but I think I like it. A lot of the genres I like are clearly minimalistic as fuck, and I've definitely talked about how much I hate clutter before. Well, except the good clutter. This is study music.

Well, so far I'm not sure what makes this more minimalistic than any other ambient release. This definitely seems less minimalistic by definition of the word than, say, Thomas Koner's works or Earth 2: I'm Not Typing Out The Title Edition. I can count strings, plodding drum machines, choral samples, feedback, synths, pianos (of many variety), and some other instruments I don't know the name of as prominent soundmakers here within the first few tracks alone (maybe it doesn't change though?). Regardless, semantics aren't important, what's important is the music!

And anyways, reading the genre description for minimalism, I guess it makes sense it's technically less minimalistic than drone.

If there's one thing that seems to universally irk me, it's the amount of downtime between most of these tracks, which can exceed, like, 15 seconds. Yes I get the genre, but still, it's killing my flow right now and some more seamless transitions wouldn't kill this album, at least in my view. Also, the choral samples are a little much, particularly in A Place,Human Range, Kaleidescope and Momentum. I actually like the album more when it feels closer to some good old-school techno, albeit with a more emotional edge, like the title track, #2, Sunson and the second half of Momentum. Too many parts of this album feel like they're trying to go for an "epic" vibe but I simply don't buy it, and the more jazz-or-sad piano parts are pretty enough but don't grab as much as the bouncy synth-based cuts. There's also a slight tribal, jungle-esque vibe to some of these tracks, which is subtle enough to be inconsequential to the quality of the track.

On the more positive side of things, this managed to not outstay its welcome at a staggering 74 minutes, which isn't that long today but you guys know my attention span sucks and I have a low tolerance for filler (I'm incredibly loath to review Culture 2 as of right now). The down moments never seemed like they weren't trying and just adding space, just that what they did try didn't work for me this time around, which I can respect much more. Truthfully, I might cut some tracks here and there out, but I'm just as likely to give this a full listen again. And what's good is good and it makes up most of the album, I hope I articulated that well enough.

Here's to hoping for a real "instrumental" version at some point... Haha yeah there's no way that's happening.

Best Track: All Melody (I always get so uncomfortable when the first, last or title track is the best one)

Last edited by rayword45; 02-26-2018 at 10:02 PM..
Old 02-26-2018, 10:47 PM   #13
rayword45

Day 441: Little Dark Age by MGMT (Album Choice: PixlSM)

I know I've heard something from this band before without caring about it, but I don't remember what. Also, I always mix this band up with M83. As of today I care about neither. Let's see if that changes!

Well, I can't lie, this first track is catchy as fuck, and I think they've realized the "dream-robotic" aura they're going for very well here. The stupid lyrics are PERFECT for this kinda vibe, so I can fuck with it.

Unfortunately, most of what comes after feels way too chintzy for some reason. They vary from decent (Me And Michael, the deep-vocaled When You're Small, groover Days That Got Away) to just boring (the title track, When You Die) or cheesy-feeling (One Thing Left To Try)

Yup, another one of those "killer first track and a few more decent cuts" albums, although this isn't nearly as frustrating as Stands for Decibels is for me. Yup, still don't care about either band. I don't feel like elaborating more. Go watch the melon or something.

Best Track: She Works Out Too Much
Rating: 5/10

Last edited by rayword45; 02-26-2018 at 10:50 PM..
Old 03-5-2018, 05:57 PM   #14
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

listen to my pretentious lowercase album
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-8-2018, 07:31 PM   #15
rayword45

^I shall

Day 442: Punken by Maxo Kream (Album Choice: college peoples)

5200 is not better than Magnolia and that's final.

That's all I managed to spit out while I was studying. Onto a second listen!

Well, compared to past trap releases I've reviewed, this one has comparatively very little obvious filler, so that's a heavy plus immediately. The beat selection works well, never getting too samey thanks to more-layered-than-usual production while keeping the same obvious vibe throughout. Lyrically, this is MILES ahead of... well, at least the last trap release I reviewed, not that that's hard to do (and I still unironically like Gucci Gang). Still, a commendable effort in that realm.

Okay... who the fuck cares about what I rate a trap album?

Best Track: Pop Another

Last edited by rayword45; 03-8-2018 at 07:33 PM..
Old 03-8-2018, 09:30 PM   #16
rayword45

Day 443: n​-​afil​:​1atem​=​x​-​vnn​-​.​x by [Ne]3s23p2 (Album Choice: choof)

...Oh for fuck's sake with this Autechre 2.0 title scheming, what the hell is this? Looks like a chemistry equation to me, and I suck at chemistry. I don't know what lowercase music is, and I don't know what EAI is. Google say it's some form of electroacoustic, which I'm not very familiar with but the little I do remember I remember enjoying. What was that frog album?... It had OzMo and Space Ghost in it.

After some more googling, it's The Hass Effect by Electrocado. That was almost 5 years ago, holy shit, but from what I remember it was easy and pleasant to listen to, if not really outstanding save for those aforementioned samples.

This sounds NOTHING like Electrocado. This album basically sounds like a collection of gusts of wind. In fact, I didn't even realize the last track was playing until 15 minutes into it, and it's 20 minutes! I have no idea how I'm supposed to judge this, but I do appreciate the atmosphere it provides (outside of the barely audible final track) enough to give it a middling rating.

Best Track: Every track besides 9999~`x (motherfucker...)
Rating: 6/10

Old 03-8-2018, 10:03 PM   #17
choof
Banned

the title scheming of the album name is based on a command used to convert audio files
the title scheming of the track names are based on the command using the different audio files
idk I was pretty high
Old 03-9-2018, 05:30 AM   #18
Deadlyx39
FFR Player

Automata I by Between the Buried and Me just came out, would like to hear your opinions on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Blaster View Post
Why should I care about this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
whats in it for me
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizz13114 View Post
Fun times and meme sluts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
ew meme sluts
ew fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
do you realize how asinine all of your posts are
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
i would also like to take this opportunity to shout out deadlyx39

on the one hand i feel as though your absence from these forums is a shelled victory for all ffr forumites however after careful examination of my internal feeling apparatus i have come to the conclusion that i do in fact miss your posts

[...]

come back

i need to laugh at you

once more

Deadlyx39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-9-2018, 08:53 AM   #19
PixlSM
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Review the “new” sakamoto/noto live album

Last edited by PixlSM; 03-9-2018 at 08:53 AM..
Old 03-9-2018, 10:31 AM   #20
choof
Banned

the crystalline sounds on that album are amazing
seconding that rec