Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #41
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: I got a 3!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
I never took AIME/Putnam/etc because my high school sucked (I had never even heard of the Putnam until I had already gotten into college) but that shit def. looks hardasfuc.
The Putnam's a competition for college students only, which is pretty clear to anyone who's researched it, so what you're saying doesn't make any sense to me. Don't act like bad luck prevented you from showing the world your awesome skills; you definitely could have taken it, you just didn't.

I have to say, it's pretty insane that the top score was around 90. There are some people who completely wreck me at math competitions, and if THEY couldn't make significant progress on 3 of the questions, that's just crazy.
qqwref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #42
Artic_counter
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Congrats! Even managing some points out of this test is an incredible achievement in itself I might join you in the competition next year since I'll be going to college next semester haha.

Out of these 12 questions, I think I could only solve A2, B4 and B6 xD

Take a rest, I think you pretty much deserve it xD

Artic_counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #43
hi19hi19
lol happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqwref View Post
The Putnam's a competition for college students only, which is pretty clear to anyone who's researched it
True, but the problems are studied at all levels. Even if you do not have the skills to come to an answer, understanding even the process one would use to start on the problem can be important to understand on its own.
You can find old Putnam problems pretty easily, and they are a great way to practice problem-solving skills when in high school if you are aiming for doing mathematics in college.
I remember going over Putnam problems when preparing for the AIME.
(one kid from my school always beat me though, never did get to the USAMO level )

EDIT- lol I'm looking through the Putnam problems, this was the one I got my 1 point on XD
Like a BOSS.
Quote:
A2. Alan and Barbara play a game in which they take turns filling
entries of an initially empty 2008x2008 array. Alan plays first. At
each turn, a player chooses a real number and places it in a vacant
entry. The game ends when all the entries are filled. Alan wins if the
determinant of the resulting matrix is nonzero; Barbara wins if it is
zero. Which player has a winning strategy?
In hindsight this problem is pretty easy, I feel like I would get a much better score were I to take it again today. Hmmm

Last edited by hi19hi19; 03-27-2012 at 03:39 PM..
hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #44
iironiic
D6 FFR Legacy Player
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artic_counter View Post
Congrats! Even managing some points out of this test is an incredible achievement in itself I might join you in the competition next year since I'll be going to college next semester haha.

Take a rest, I think you pretty much deserve it xD
No one in the top 197 got any credit for B6 this year Just saying <3

And I'll be looking forward to competing against you this year

EDIT:

Code:
A1 Given a positive integer n, what is the largest k such
that the numbers 1, 2, . . . , n can be put into k boxes so
that the sum of the numbers in each box is the same?
[When n = 8, the example {1, 2, 3, 6}, {4, 8}, {5, 7}
shows that the largest k is at least 3.
This was the easy one I got my 10 points on last year xDD
iironiic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #45
hi19hi19
lol happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iironiic View Post
Code:
hehe that's a silly problem. I think I got dis

If you break it down into cases when n is even or odd you can come up with some pretty simple pairings.
The largest k will correspond to the smallest total sum you can make, which is nessecarily at least n (obviously, since n itself is going to be in one of the boxes)
Total sum of n when n is odd using {1, n-1} {2,n-2} etc until you reach {n} making k = (n/2) +1
Total sum of n+1 when n is even using {1, n} {2, n-1} etc making k = n/2

I suppose they are looking for a classy way to write the solution like k = floor((n+1)/2)

lol I should have taken the 2010 Putnam, coulda gotten dem 10 points in a matter of minutes XD
This thread is really making me miss college... I've been on leave so long the friends I made freshman year will be graduating next spring!
I need to get back in the college system >_<

Last edited by hi19hi19; 03-27-2012 at 04:23 PM..
Old 03-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #46
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artic_counter View Post
Haha, doubt you'd get B6, nobody in the top 200 got any credit for it (not even one point)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
True, but the problems are studied at all levels. Even if you do not have the skills to come to an answer, understanding even the process one would use to start on the problem can be important to understand on its own.
Definitely (although I'd say USAMO/IMO/similar problems are much more useful for high schoolers). I was just pointing out that not knowing about the test until college doesn't at all prevent someone from taking it.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #47
hi19hi19
lol happy

Quote:
Haha, doubt you'd get B6, nobody in the top 200 got any credit for it (not even one point)
That question is one of those that is simply stated, but I would have no idea where to even start. Dealing with arbitrary primes is usually pretty annoying.

*looks at the solution*

No idea what Wilson's Theorem is...

*looks at Wilson's Theorem*

Oh whoa that's actually pretty cool.
Number theory pretty awesome~

Old 03-27-2012, 07:13 PM   #48
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
The Putnam's a competition for college students only, which is pretty clear to anyone who's researched it, so what you're saying doesn't make any sense to me. Don't act like bad luck prevented you from showing the world your awesome skills; you definitely could have taken it, you just didn't.

I have to say, it's pretty insane that the top score was around 90. There are some people who completely wreck me at math competitions, and if THEY couldn't make significant progress on 3 of the questions, that's just crazy.
I only really knew about it late-junior year. Could I have taken it? If you want to be a pedantic asshole about it, sure. But that's not exactly a realistic amount of time to study for such a competition, especially when there are other things to focus on. Yet again, another instance of you replying to me with needless snark and ignorant jackassery. IDK what your deal is, man.

More on topic:
hi19hi19: A couple PE problems use WT, actually -- it's a great resource for learning quite a few number-theoretic concepts (as well as algorithmic optimizations).

Last edited by Reincarnate; 03-27-2012 at 07:42 PM..
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #49
iironiic
D6 FFR Legacy Player

I am familiar with Wilson's Theorem and many others, but I have a hard time either a) remembering the theorem or b) using them to my advantage. I guess the only way to go around this is practice, practice, practice. Any other tips?
Old 03-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #50
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
I am familiar with Wilson's Theorem and many others, but I have a hard time either a) remembering the theorem or b) using them to my advantage. I guess the only way to go around this is practice, practice, practice. Any other tips?
PE!

iironiic last problem solved = 48 days ago

This needs some updating mang :O
Old 03-27-2012, 07:45 PM   #51
iironiic
D6 FFR Legacy Player

Quote:
PE!

iironiic last problem solved = 48 days ago

This needs some updating mang :O
Touche! My time has been cooped up in my research project so I haven't had much time to work on Project Euler lately! I'll find some time to snag some solutions one day
Old 03-27-2012, 07:52 PM   #52
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

If you want to take a crack at some of the more recent, mathematically-cool ones:

http://projecteuler.net/problem=356
http://projecteuler.net/problem=360
http://projecteuler.net/problem=361
http://projecteuler.net/problem=362
http://projecteuler.net/problem=365
http://projecteuler.net/problem=367
http://projecteuler.net/problem=372
http://projecteuler.net/problem=374

These eight alone will lead you to learn pretty sweet things (especially 361 which is like trying to solve a horse while it kicks you in the face).

Last edited by Reincarnate; 03-27-2012 at 07:56 PM..
Old 03-27-2012, 08:06 PM   #53
Artic_counter
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
No one in the top 197 got any credit for B6 this year Just saying <3

And I'll be looking forward to competing against you this year

EDIT:

Code:
Haha xD I guess it's a little bit more difficult than it looks lol.

I'll be looking forward to it too :3

Artic_counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #54
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist

Quote:
I only really knew about it late-junior year. Could I have taken it?
You could have taken it senior year.

Quote:
Yet again, another instance of you replying to me with needless snark and ignorant jackassery.
I'm just responding to your attitude. Be honest - don't act like you understand how the test worked and would have done well, and at the same time give a nonsense excuse about why you didn't take it. And if you're wondering, after how you've been acting in certain FFR-related threads lately, I find it very difficult to respect your intelligence or maturity. When it comes to being arrogant about your abilities, you've got Dossar beat by a landslide.

But back on topic - did anyone here do any math contests in high school? (Anyone still in high school and interested in them?)
Old 03-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #55
hi19hi19
lol happy

I just haven't been doing much math the past few years, so I'm rusty as hell. Actually pretty happy I managed to solve that problem above that was from last year.
Wilson's Theorem seems like the kind of thing I would have learned had stayed in the math program and not had to go on leave first semester freshman year lol

I'll check out Project Euler I guess...

Quote:
But back on topic - did anyone here do any math contests in high school? (Anyone still in high school and interested in them?)
I did lots. Mathcounts in middle school (so much fun, made it to nationals) then in high school did the AMC and AIME exams, the New England Math League tests (NEML) and basically anything else that I could get my hands on.
There was also a regional math team competition, my school solidly trashed our competition in the state and got second for small schools in New England, that wasn't bad at all.
One of the benefits of living in the smallest state (Rhode Island pride) is that it doesn't take much to be a state champion ahaha. It was awesome going to the Mathcounts nationals and meeting the people from Californaia who were like, "oh yeah we had to go through like 5 levels of competition against tens of thousands of people to get here" and I was like "we have one testing place and it's like 8 dozen people in a room, I won and now I'm here. u jelly?"
Of course we got like 47/56 place out of all the state/province teams, but it was awesome just to have the chance to be there.
I frequently placed in the top 10 or better in the state for these kinds of competitions, just because there wasn't much... competition.

Then I got to college and the whole "big fish, small pond" feeling from being in Rhode Island disappeared entirely. rip.

Last edited by hi19hi19; 03-27-2012 at 08:49 PM..
Old 03-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #56
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
You could have taken it senior year.
I guess you didn't read the rest of my post.

Schedule was beyond full enough as it was and I learned about the competition far too late to make any reasonable dent in it.

The Putnam isn't exactly something you just "squeeze in" senior year after learning about it.

Quote:
I'm just responding to your attitude. Be honest - don't act like you understand how the test worked and would have done well, and at the same time give a nonsense excuse about why you didn't take it. And if you're wondering, after how you've been acting in certain FFR-related threads lately, I find it very difficult to respect your intelligence or maturity. When it comes to being arrogant about your abilities, you've got Dossar beat by a landslide.
Feel free to quote where I showed snarky/undue arrogant attitude in this thread, because the only one being an ass here is you.

Last edited by Reincarnate; 03-27-2012 at 09:11 PM..
Old 03-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #57
iironiic
D6 FFR Legacy Player

Quote:
I only did a year of MathCounts in middle school (wish I started early). Then, I participated in the USA Mathematical Talent Search Contest (USAMTS) for two years and won "bronze status" in both years. Nothing too appealing, but I did win a free Mathematica CD as one of the prizes so I'm happy about that! I didn't know that there was a regional math team that existed around my area until senior year when I joined. I took the AMC and AIME there, but never made it to the USAMO or IMO (but I wished my high school math teachers do a better job at informing me of these opportunities). In the team, I also competed in the HMMT and PuMAC competitions and our team did very well.

I'm trying to take advantage of every math opportunity I can get in college since I don't want to be the late joiner of the group anymore.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:08 PM   #58
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I remember those USAMO guys being pretty sick.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #59
One Winged Angel
Anime Avatars ( ◜◡^)っ✂╰⋃╯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Damn this shit looks mad hard but mad fun at the same time. Grats on scoring something, Wilson haha (and gg queef, holy hell)

*sigh* I miss math.

The only math I'm allowed to take in my program is all probability-related. Don't get me wrong, that stuff's really fun too. But man I miss anything to do with derivatives so much :/

Quote:
http://www.cemc.uwaterloo.ca/contest...calResults.pdf I'm Rob Ricciardone lol

Got a perfect score on this ~*~NaTioNaL~*~ contest first year in high school, apparently this was a big deal ~_~
(mind you, this is nowhere near as difficult as the shit on Putnam, not even close)

Only top five are supposed to get gold medals but there were only three perfect scores (including myself), so they gave out gold to the next 15 or some peeps that scored one wrong...kinda gay since I would've liked being a part of a more exclusive group lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
i want to be cucked by cirno

Last edited by One Winged Angel; 03-27-2012 at 09:13 PM..
One Winged Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #60
hi19hi19
lol happy

Damn lots of smart duders on this forum. Pretty cool actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
But man I miss anything to do with derivatives so much :/
Oh God kill it with fire~