Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2004, 12:44 AM   #41
Jam930
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWSTopGun
I found this on a website it's basically a story of a man who had it done to him and blablabla....

Quote:
Is Laser Surgery for You?

For some, like Goldstein, laser surgery has been the ultimate freedom from the everyday hassles of contact lenses, and a second chance at having normal eyesight. But can everyone expect such dramatic results?

"The answer is no," says Rosenthal. "It's not a foolproof procedure and people need to know that some can end up with worse eyesight than before they went in."

Mary Ann Duke, M.D., a general ophthalmologist practicing in Potomac, Md., adds that there are other reasons why the expectations for laser surgery vary from person to person.

"People who are slow healers or who have ongoing medical conditions [such as glaucoma or diabetes] are not good candidates for laser surgery," she says. "That's why it's so important for patients to undergo a thorough examination with their doctor."

Poor candidates for this surgery also include those with uncontrolled vascular disease, autoimmune disease, or people with certain eye diseases involving the cornea or retina. Pregnant women should not have refractive surgery of any kind because the refraction of the eye may change during pregnancy.
The link is here for more... http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/1998/498_eye.html

...Do you just turtle at home? Everything with benefits have risks.

Would you ever travel by plane? There are horrible websites out there warning about how if your plane crashes... you could die... DIE.

Never to go 3rd world countries because you could step on a landmine and die. Never swim in the ocean, there are sharks. Never go to bungie jumping or skydiving for obvious reasons.

The idea that more people that go in for eye surgery come out blind than are healed is the dumbest statistic in the universe. Why would anyone do it then... ever?

Sigh.

Thanks for this topic, I need to watch my vision. *turns down brightness on monitor and scoots back*

The main thing is resting your eyes. Having your eyes focused at one distance for over a few hours at a time slightly damages your eyes and it eventually builds up until you're bLinD.

Also, something related. Watch out for your hearing. Loud headphones - > deafness. I have friends like 17 yrs old and practically deaf.... and deafness sucks.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:59 AM   #42
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

I had to...

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 01:19 AM   #43
stretchypanda
shock me shock me
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to stretchypanda

Glasses are hot, LD.
stretchypanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 02:37 AM   #44
SpookG
(For Great Justice!)
Retired StaffFFR Music Producer

Send a message via MSN to SpookG

i've worn glasses since i was real young, not sure when I had to start wearing them. I would use contacts, except i can't put drops in my eyes. It takes a half hour to do it, I dodge them and just yeah..it makes a big old mess, so I just stick to glasses. Much simpler.

Royal For Great Justice! Electronic Music est. 1999
kerBLAM

SpookG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 03:14 AM   #45
Nima
FFR Player

I usually wear glasses I wear contacts like maybe 1/4 the time or so cause I hate putting them on in the morning with dry eyes and sometimes they are a hassle.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:11 AM   #46
Anticrombie0909
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Anticrombie0909

Quote:
Would you ever travel by plane? There are horrible websites out there warning about how if your plane crashes... you could die... DIE.
Over 43,000 people died in automobile accidents last year- in fact, it's the number one cause of death between people ages one to twenty-four. Over 10,000 died in their homes while falling. Over 8,000 died in the workplace after being accidentally struck with an object. How many people died last year from airplane deaths in the entire country?

Less than 700. The year before that? Under 100 deaths.

I know you were making a point, but it annoys the hell out of me when people read into the media and don't use any common sense or judgement. Airplanes transport people with greater speed, comfort, reliability and safety than any other known means of transportation in the world, yet somebody who is terrified of an airplane would drive their car without a second thought, all thanks to the fear that the media pumps into us.

Quote:
Never go to bungie jumping or skydiving for obvious reasons.
Just for the record, it's been my dream for several years now to go skydiving, and I plan to do so at some point in my life.
Anticrombie0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 05:22 AM   #47
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Anti - Ditto. So many skydiving videos, so much desire to do it once.

LD - Get a nice pair, ok? Don't go for ghettoframes or overly-stylish ones. Get a normal pair and you'll be fine.

OR GET GOGGLES COZ DEY R HAWT

~Squeek
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 05:41 AM   #48
lightdarkness
Summer!!
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to lightdarkness Send a message via MSN to lightdarkness Send a message via Yahoo to lightdarkness Send a message via Skype™ to lightdarkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrESqueek
Anti - Ditto. So many skydiving videos, so much desire to do it once.

LD - Get a nice pair, ok? Don't go for ghettoframes or overly-stylish ones. Get a normal pair and you'll be fine.

OR GET GOGGLES COZ DEY R HAWT

~Squeek
Oh, i'm going overly stylish.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:51 AM   #49
Anticrombie0909
FFR Player

LD needs the EMO SPECS.

Liek dis guy:
Old 12-10-2004, 09:52 AM   #50
tristia
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to tristia

I've worn glasses on and off since I was in kindergarten. I don't remember who asked, but someone asked if you become dependant on your glasses after a while...

I think what it is, is that you become used to them... so when you take them off you notice the difference a lot more than if you had never put them on. It makes it seem like your vision is getting worse, when it's just taking time to adjust back to what you had previously been used to seeing.

But yea, basically like everyone said... they're really not all that bad. Don't get anything too thick (plastic frames). All they do is make you hot, and your nose gets sweaty. Another big part of it, make sure they match your face. If you have a wide face, don't get tiny square frames that are invisible around the lenses. Match to your hair, eyes, and skin tone. It sounds odd, but it just makes life easier. You have to wear them everyday, so you'll want them to match... like a shirt. If they don't match, you'll probably give up on wearing them, and waste a good amount of money. and that's my two cents. yep.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:10 AM   #51
Wayfaerer_
FFR Player

See, my cousin was a bungie jumper, he was about 17 when he started. At 19 or 20, something went wrong and he snapped his spine so he is paralized for the rest of his life. That impacted me personally and I dont think I will ever go bungie jumping.

Sky diving is a lot safer though, I would love to try it.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:44 AM   #52
banditcom
FFR Player

Send a message via ICQ to banditcom Send a message via AIM to banditcom Send a message via Yahoo to banditcom Send a message via Skype™ to banditcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticrombie0909
Quote:
Over 43,000 people died in automobile accidents last year- in fact, it's the number one cause of death between people ages one to twenty-four. Over 10,000 died in their homes while falling. Over 8,000 died in the workplace after being accidentally struck with an object. How many people died last year from airplane deaths in the entire country?

Less than 700. The year before that? Under 100 deaths.

I know you were making a point, but it annoys the hell out of me when people read into the media and don't use any common sense or judgement. Airplanes transport people with greater speed, comfort, reliability and safety than any other known means of transportation in the world, yet somebody who is terrified of an airplane would drive their car without a second thought, all thanks to the fear that the media pumps into us.

Quote:
Never go to bungie jumping or skydiving for obvious reasons.
Just for the record, it's been my dream for several years now to go skydiving, and I plan to do so at some point in my life.
You completely missed her point. The point she was trying to make is that everything you do has risks involved, small or large... and that you won't get anywhere or do anything if you don't take those risks.

And also, I would love to go skydiving too. I've been wanting to for years.
banditcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 10:55 AM   #53
lightdarkness
Summer!!
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to lightdarkness Send a message via MSN to lightdarkness Send a message via Yahoo to lightdarkness Send a message via Skype™ to lightdarkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfaerer_
See, my cousin was a bungie jumper, he was about 17 when he started. At 19 or 20, something went wrong and he snapped his spine so he is paralized for the rest of his life. That impacted me personally and I dont think I will ever go bungie jumping.

Sky diving is a lot safer though, I would love to try it.
Right.. because sky diving has something to do with Glasses.

Anyways, my mom still needs to get off her lazy ass and make an appointment for me.

Then I can get sweet glasses and Jewpin can be like "OMG LD YOU ARE SO HOT"
Old 12-10-2004, 02:33 PM   #54
Anticrombie0909
FFR Player

Quote:
You completely missed her point. The point she was trying to make is that everything you do has risks involved, small or large... and that you won't get anywhere or do anything if you don't take those risks.
No, I saw it, I just disregarded it. Perhaps you didn't notice where I said:

Quote:
I know you were making a point
I'll show you again, in case you missed it.

Quote:
I know you were making a point
Airplanes are media darlings, and I just happened to have her post handy when I was in a particularily vindictive mood at the media.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:35 PM   #55
Kenzya
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Kenzya

Well then thanks for throwing this topic off more so with useless info. ;P

Got glasses when I was in 7th grade.. I'm near-sighted.. or whatever it is when you can't see things far away.. I'm always losing my glasses though.. and I hardly ever wear them. I was excited to get them, and they've been cool ever since. Yeah, but you need to spend a good.. hour or so to pick out your first pair.. and the ground looks weird at first.
Kenzya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 04:00 PM   #56
The_Q
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to The_Q Send a message via Yahoo to The_Q

Glasses make you looks smarter. That's something you'll definately need. </joke>

Q
The_Q is offline   Reply With Quote