Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-4-2006, 07:08 PM   #41
jimerax
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jimerax Send a message via MSN to jimerax Send a message via Skype™ to jimerax
Default Re: SotW - Torinouta (The Speedfreak's Noise Rave Mix)

Yea any patterns except for jacks or fast trills are okay for FFR.

Preferably those patterns shouldn't be overused for general though.
jimerax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-4-2006, 07:11 PM   #42
iPatcH
Swamp Lemons Rule
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to iPatcH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasselfoot View Post
still waiting on more files from you as well sertman...

ps - iPatch file next week for SotW. o noes!
oshi

does said song contain, say, HORNS?

also,

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZZE- View Post
Untitled Gabber Song.

I've never stepped a song by that name before, and I don't think I've ever heard one by that name either.

Last edited by iPatcH; 12-4-2006 at 07:18 PM..
iPatcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-4-2006, 07:33 PM   #43
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashakiro View Post
Like what? Is your complaint about Sharpnel (grand total of 5 Sharpnel songs in the game now, and SGX has 12 by comparison) or the fact that it's been done as an SM file (albeit an obscure one that's rarely played)?
Not what I meant at all. It just seems that people are stepping files as though this is SM. I just feel that FFR should have a different feel, and stepping files like that makes me hate them because they're at C300, even though I'd thoroughly enjoy them in SM (ie speed mods would make it enjoyable).

Quote:
No.

Why not? Because most people wouldn't be able to type the name out, because most people wouldn't be able to read it, or is there some kind of problem with flash not working well with Asian languages?
Old 12-4-2006, 07:46 PM   #44
iPatcH
Swamp Lemons Rule

Because that's a weaboo suggestion.

Also, not everyone will know how to pronounce asian characters.
Old 12-4-2006, 07:49 PM   #45
Shashakiro
TWO THOUZAND COMBO
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Shashakiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
Not what I meant at all. It just seems that people are stepping files as though this is SM. I just feel that FFR should have a different feel, and stepping files like that makes me hate them because they're at C300, even though I'd thoroughly enjoy them in SM (ie speed mods would make it enjoyable).
I have never seen a real difference, except when it comes to jack syndrome, so I wouldn't be able to tell the difference even if I wanted to...still don't really know what you're referring to, in a concrete sense.

Quote:
Why not? Because most people wouldn't be able to type the name out, because most people wouldn't be able to read it, or is there some kind of problem with flash not working well with Asian languages?
Reading/comprehension is a problem, and plus DDR does this, and we don't need to clone them in that particular aspect. We aren't a Japanese game, so we don't want Japanese characters all over the place in it. Or anywhere in it, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogiebear
use ur bain. Itz there for a reason.
Shashakiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-4-2006, 07:51 PM   #46
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPatcH View Post
Because that's a weaboo suggestion.

Also, not everyone will know how to pronounce asian characters.
Yeah, because the Japanese kana/kanji is definitely not used in the popular SM version's graphics.

EDIT: @ Shash:

About the difference between FFR and SM: It's definitely not concrete. It is 100% abstract.

About the Japanese language thing: I understand, but I think you should avoid using Japanese tracks if you're going to be so afraid of using the proper characters to represent it.
Old 12-4-2006, 07:54 PM   #47
jimerax

Send a message via AIM to jimerax Send a message via MSN to jimerax Send a message via Skype™ to jimerax

Quote:
saying any hard songs shouldn't exist for FFR because you can't read it?
Old 12-4-2006, 07:56 PM   #48
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimerax View Post
saying any hard songs shouldn't exist for FFR because you can't read it?
It can be hard without feeling like an SM file.
Old 12-4-2006, 07:58 PM   #49
Shashakiro
TWO THOUZAND COMBO

Quote:
Yeah, because the Japanese kana/kanji is definitely not used in the popular SM version's graphics.
SM is as Japanese as DDR. Just look at the groove meter, difficulty boxes, etc, etc. Find me a Japanese character in FFR R1 (unless I'm mistaken, there are none)...thus the English romanization.

Quote:
About the difference between FFR and SM: It's definitely not concrete. It is 100% abstract.
Since I have no idea what the difference is, you're effectively asking me to read your mind.

Quote:
Old 12-4-2006, 07:59 PM   #50
iPatcH
Swamp Lemons Rule

Quote:
I thought you wanted FFR to be different from SM?
Old 12-4-2006, 08:08 PM   #51
jimerax

All letters in the FFR R1 screen should be Neuropol, which doesn't support Japanese.
Old 12-4-2006, 08:27 PM   #52
Tasselfoot
Retired BOSS

Send a message via AIM to Tasselfoot Send a message via MSN to Tasselfoot Send a message via Skype™ to Tasselfoot

We aren't putting non-Romantic characters into FFR...

1. most people can't read them
2. most people don't have the language packs installed to even read them... for example, me. you put the words for Torinouta above, and it showed as "???" for me.

And about "SM sims" in FFR... I seriously do not get what you are talking about, the same as Shash and jx... and I agree with both. The ONLY thing that gets messed up in FFR is when you get any kind of fast jacks (jacks, trills, some 8th jumps). This some is pretty easy to FC... a few spots that are a little tricky, with quick rolls into jumps... but other than that.

As I said... expect next week's file to be similar with the beginning of this weeks... and there really is no planning for that. Shash and I look at all of the files we have available for uploading, factor out those that:
a) aren't good
b) are by artists we recently added from
c) are by simfile authors we recently added from
and then look at the files that have gotten through those 3 filters and then pick based on 2 criteria:
1) oldest in the queue
2) quality

weights vary between 1 and 2 depending on all kinds of factors... needless to say, Shash and I put in A LOT of time in picking each week's song.
Old 12-4-2006, 08:27 PM   #53
sertman
DADALADAH
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to sertman Send a message via MSN to sertman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashakiro View Post
SM is as Japanese as DDR. Just look at the groove meter, difficulty boxes, etc, etc. Find me a Japanese character in FFR R1 (unless I'm mistaken, there are none)...thus the English romanization.

Since I have no idea what the difference is, you're effectively asking me to read your mind.
I get what afro is saying... it's kind of hard to explain. He's right too. I'll try to explain it though.

SM and FFR are different. Conceptwise, they're the same. However, they differ a lot outside of that. In FFR, there are boos, there are no speed mods, there's easier timing, and the gameplay engine is different. Because of this, files shouldn't be stepped like files in SM.

Lately it's felt like FFR's been trying to hard to be like SM, in the way that its files play. The difficulty of the files is beginning to conflict with the boundaries of the game. If I wanted to play an ultra synced file, or a classical one, or something like this file, I'd play SM. I'm not saying that FFR can't be made harder, but stepping files like this isn't the way to go. The concept of being "technically correct" and stepping files that are all over the place shouldn't be an FFR thing, because quite frankly it just doesn't feel right on FFR. However, 3rd style should definitely fix some of R1's current problems, which is why once it comes (or if it comes) these files will be better suited for FFR.

Again, this is hard to explain, but I hope i caught the gist of it

sertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-4-2006, 08:30 PM   #54
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Thanks for having my back, sert. You really verbalized what I was trying to get out much better than I would have been able to.
Old 12-4-2006, 08:39 PM   #55
BLAZZE-
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasselfoot
i have more than one iPatch file.
Quote:
a) i implied for you to NOT state one of iPatch's files.
By saying that you have more than one file really implies that I shouldn't name any of his files.
BLAZZE- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-4-2006, 08:41 PM   #56
Tasselfoot
Retired BOSS

Send a message via AIM to Tasselfoot Send a message via MSN to Tasselfoot Send a message via Skype™ to Tasselfoot

so you're saying you want files that don't go to the music and aren't synced properly?

cause that is what it seems... if you don't want "ultra synced files"... seems to me that there are either synced files or there aren't. you can't have a TOO synced file. Also, the files are either correct or they aren't.

It seems like you're complaining that we're using songs that are overall too difficult for FFR and therefore their stepcharts are too difficult? *shrugs* We'll be adding some cake AAA songs for you in the near future. And by cake, I mean like Platypus cake, not Mario cake.
Old 12-4-2006, 08:45 PM   #57
Shashakiro
TWO THOUZAND COMBO

I see what you're saying, although I have no idea how this file falls into it at all...just because it has little 64th/32nd rolls in places? Give me a break, they aren't that hard at all >_>

Also, besides TGWP, what recent file has been either too techincal or too hard for your liking? Here are a bunch of the most recently added files:

KYA - It has nothing past 16ths. Not very "techincal" if you ask me, although this has a LITTLE of it in the staggered 16ths section, I guess. Still, most people seemed to like it, so yeah.
Norgers - Besides the minijacks, this is fairly easy and not at all techincal.
Sensorium - Again, it's fairly easy and not very techincal.
2003 - Not even slightly techincal.
Tetris - Easy.

That goes back well over a month...I still don't really understand what beef you have with the files that have been going in lately. They don't seem any different from usual to me, or "trying to be like SM files" at all.

Quote:
Old 12-4-2006, 08:53 PM   #58
sertman
DADALADAH
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to sertman Send a message via MSN to sertman

Quote:
so you're saying you want files that don't go to the music and aren't synced properly?

cause that is what it seems... if you don't want "ultra synced files"... seems to me that there are either synced files or there aren't. you can't have a TOO synced file. Also, the files are either correct or they aren't.

It seems like you're complaining that we're using songs that are overall too difficult for FFR and therefore their stepcharts are too difficult? *shrugs* We'll be adding some cake AAA songs for you in the near future. And by cake, I mean like Platypus cake, not Mario cake.
No, no, no... I mean that because of the limitations of the game, songs like TGWP , where Rebirth uses all the colors of the rainbow to keep it onsync at .3x speed, really feel awkward and out of place in FFR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashakiro
Also, besides TGWP, what recent file has been either too techincal or too hard for your liking? Here are a bunch of the most recently added files:

KYA - It has nothing past 16ths. Not very "techincal" if you ask me, although this has a LITTLE of it in the staggered 16ths section, I guess. Still, most people seemed to like it, so yeah.
Norgers - Besides the minijacks, this is fairly easy and not at all techincal.
Sensorium - Again, it's fairly easy and not very techincal.
2003 - Not even slightly techincal.
Tetris - Easy.

That goes back well over a month...I still don't really understand what beef you have with the files that have been going in lately. They don't seem any different from usual to me, or "trying to be like SM files" at all.
I never said that there were a multitude of previously technical files in the game, but with the addition of this file (regardless of the difficulty, it still doesn't feel right in FFR, especially when you can hit the 64ths as a quad jump and get all perfects) it certainly seems like it's the direction that FFR is taking, especially since the converter can handle BPM changes.

sertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-4-2006, 09:04 PM   #59
Tasselfoot
Retired BOSS

this file would have been added... new noteskin or not... bpm change ability or not...

it just isn't a good example.

the 64ths as a jump... well... not much we can do about that, as FFR runs at 30 frames per second. at a certain point, 2 notes are sufficiently close together that they are within 1/30th of a second, and are therefore on the same frame. it just happens to be at a pretty high rate to happen:

30 notes in a second would be 450bpm 16th notes or 112.5bpm 64ths. so anything 113 or over at 64ths has the potential to have 2 notes on the same frame... I could be wrong, but I think it would take all the way up to 225bpm 64ths to guarentee... but that seems too high... Shash can correct me where I'm wrong.

But, Torinouta, at 180, is clearly over 113 and has a few 64ths, which is why there are a small number of 2 arrows that shouldn't be jumps that actually are.

Next weeks file has 64ths (i believe... they may be 48ths), but it is under 113bpm, so it won't have any jumps from 64ths.
Old 12-4-2006, 09:05 PM   #60
Shashakiro
TWO THOUZAND COMBO

So now FFR is taking a "bad direction" because of two files? Paranoia much?

With the exception of TGWP (which, by the way, I enjoyed vastly more on FFR than in SM), there is no file that we will select simply because it's "techincal". It just so happens that this week's and next week's songs contain 64ths, but that's a pure coincidence.

Quote: