Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #481
ssbmchamp
Can't improve at this game.
FFR Veteran

Default Re: The Fitness Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCWolf View Post
I'm not sure how to interpret what you're suggesting? Cause you're literally making no sense to me. As far as I know, the back is a pretty large group of muscles.
Well just for arguments sake you mentioned your arms in your first post...last I checked arms are smaller than chest so I was suggesting MAYBE you do a chest workout before you focus on arms. That's all.

Also I'm not saying this is a true fact but logically it makes sense: Your body's largest muscle should be able to lift the most weight. Maybe it's just my body but I can sure as hell bench a lot more than I can workout with any arm/shoulder/back workout (not counting legs because they are not part of the upper body, so you can do them whenever). If you're seeing the results you want with your routine then that's all that matters. If not maybe some things to keep in mind.
ssbmchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:57 PM   #482
Jerry DB
FFR, lift, repeat
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbmchamp View Post
Well just for arguments sake you mentioned your arms in your first post...last I checked arms are smaller than chest so I was suggesting MAYBE you do a chest workout before you focus on arms. That's all.

Also I'm not saying this is a true fact but logically it makes sense: Your body's largest muscle should be able to lift the most weight. Maybe it's just my body but I can sure as hell bench a lot more than I can workout with any arm/shoulder/back workout (not counting legs because they are not part of the upper body, so you can do them whenever). If you're seeing the results you want with your routine then that's all that matters. If not maybe some things to keep in mind.
it is almost always a good idea to work from inside out. So if you have a chest, shoulders, triceps day do it in that order. Your joints will thank you
Old 09-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #483
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to SCWolf Send a message via MSN to SCWolf Send a message via Skype™ to SCWolf

Quote:

I'm saying that my arms were swole, as was my back because pulling exercises work your biceps, what the hell are you on about?
Old 09-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #484
ssbmchamp
FFR Veteran

Quote:
I'm saying that my arms were swole, as was my back because pulling exercises work your biceps, what the hell are you on about?

I didn't know if you did arms in the same day as back and have the following day be for chest which would have been a pretty dumb thing to do.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #485
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to SCWolf Send a message via MSN to SCWolf Send a message via Skype™ to SCWolf

Quote:
I didn't know if you did arms in the same day as back and have the following day be for chest which would have been a pretty dumb thing to do.
No, because that makes no sense. I would hope no one does that.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #486
ssbmchamp
FFR Veteran

Quote:
No, because that makes no sense. I would hope no one does that.
Ok well I guess I read your post the wrong way since we seem to be on the same page with this
Old 09-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #487
Jerry DB
FFR, lift, repeat
FFR Veteran

my split is
day one-chest/triceps/shoulders/traps
day 2-back/biceps/abs
day 3-rest or sometimes a bit of mma training
day 4-legs
day 5-rest for sure gawd damn
day 6-Super mma/conditioning day, sometimes I do full body plyometric workouts for a bit for that sweet powah
day 7-rest or maybe more conditioning depending on how I feel, I have way to much energy so I usually just have a very busy week

also I do abs an extra time throughout the week randomly and I stretch for 15 minutes every morning and 15 at night to get those kicks in
Old 09-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #488
ssbmchamp
FFR Veteran

I like my schedule:

monday = chest
tuesday = biceps, triceps
wednesday = legs or day off
thursday = chest + shoulders
friday = legs + back
saturday = biceps, triceps

i can probably count on one hand the times i've actually followed this in a week during a full year period only because of plans that usually come up or i just don't have the motivation to go lol but in a perfect week that's what i would do
Old 09-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #489
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
I like my schedule:

monday = chest
tuesday = biceps, triceps
wednesday = legs or day off
thursday = chest + shoulders
friday = legs + back
saturday = biceps, triceps

i can probably count on one hand the times i've actually followed this in a week during a full year period only because of plans that usually come up or i just don't have the motivation to go lol but in a perfect week that's what i would do
Old 09-11-2012, 10:23 PM   #490
Senip
Forum User

What, why would you even do that.

I follow Dorian Yates' split:

Back
Shoulders/Tris/calves
Off
Chest/Bis/calves
Off
Legs

Legs and back are such a massively important part of your body, I dont see how you can do both in one day and get a legit workout in.
Senip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:42 PM   #491
Aldentron
Forum User

Send a message via Skype™ to Aldentron

I'm getting close to completing the first week of being "raw food" vegan. so far the only exception to the raw food rule has been tortilla chips, various roasted nuts (hard to avoid, sadly) and possibly the always mysterious "natural flavors" in ingredient labels.

I've been riding my bike as per usual (~11mi/day) with a 20+ mile social ride on Sunday. There hasn't been a single time I've been hungry except for at work today doing a double shift, I got a 15 minute break and ate a giant salad and was good after that. I actually feel like my protein intake is actually up from before. I'm eating plenty of nuts and seeds, at least 24g soy protein, fruits are a source of amino acids, when you combine vegetables (especially leafy greens) your body creates complete proteins of it, etc. when i'm at home i'm constantly eating and i always take food with me to eat while i'm out. so far so good.

and yeah i'm not eating raw eggplant anymore.
i remember a time when he wuz kewl

like... wut
Aldentron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:19 AM   #492
Jerry DB
FFR, lift, repeat
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senip View Post

Back
Shoulders/Tris/calves
Off
Chest/Bis/calves
Off
Legs

Legs and back are such a massively important part of your body, I dont see how you can do both in one day and get a legit workout in.
ahhh dorian yates I did his stuff for quite a while it's so legit.

but yea chest/back/legs (although chest isn't as strict) shouldn't really be worked out less then 5 days from each other. If your going to work out anything more then once a week it should be secondary muscles like triceps and maybe shoulders as long as you train your rotater cuffs as well. In the end it's up to you and you can feel what you like more, but this is just a few things I have learned that have really helped me get proper rest and build strength and stability
Old 09-12-2012, 06:14 AM   #493
ssbmchamp
FFR Veteran

Quote:

Back
Shoulders/Tris/calves
Off
Chest/Bis/calves
Off
Legs

I'll tell you why I would do that, even though all of you will probably shake your head at it. I never worked out officially in a gym a day in my life until my second year in college and even then I could still bench 225 4 times. My roommate and I started working out and doing this:

monday/wed/fri = 4 sets of benching ONLY
tuesday/thurs = arms

I kid you not for the first month I increased my bench a minimum of 5 pounds every single week, sometimes as much as 10 pounds in a single week and this trend continued until the end of the second month where I finally started to slow down to about 5 pounds every two weeks. And all I used was basic whey protein that you can buy at walmart.

sounds stupid, i know, but results don't lie. plus it helps when you have a body type that allows you to eat whatever you want and not gain weight. I've been the the same weight for the past 3 years fluctuating within a 5 pound range but continue to get stronger so I must be doing something right.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:41 AM   #494
infinity.
sideways 8
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to infinity.

in the middle of a 70 mile week #auschwitzmode

nerds
infinity. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #495
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
I'll tell you why I would do that, even though all of you will probably shake your head at it. I never worked out officially in a gym a day in my life until my second year in college and even then I could still bench 225 4 times. My roommate and I started working out and doing this:

tuesday/thurs = arms

I kid you not for the first month I increased my bench a minimum of 5 pounds every single week, sometimes as much as 10 pounds in a single week and this trend continued until the end of the second month where I finally started to slow down to about 5 pounds every two weeks. And all I used was basic whey protein that you can buy at walmart.

sounds stupid, i know, but results don't lie. plus it helps when you have a body type that allows you to eat whatever you want and not gain weight. I've been the the same weight for the past 3 years fluctuating within a 5 pound range but continue to get stronger so I must be doing something right.
Sweet Jesus, PLEASE post a picture of yourself.

Quote:

Back
Shoulders/Tris/calves
Off
Chest/Bis/calves
Off
Legs

He's pretty much lost all credibility in terms of weight lifting knowledge by now. At least to me, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity. View Post
in the middle of a 70 mile week #auschwitzmode
HxC

Also great news! I did Chest Day yesterday and minimal wrist pain! I did 135 on the bench rather than my regular 145 because I felt that really would have been too much for the wrist. Really happy knowing that next week I may be able to get back to my regular weight! We'll see how OHP does on Friday.

Last edited by SCWolf; 09-12-2012 at 10:38 AM..
SCWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #496
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

I benched 140 no prob for the first time this morning.

feels good man.

still weak as fuc lmao. Can't go past 65 for rows, so thinking of just increasing reps. Gotta work on back strength a dumpload though
Old 09-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #497
kmay
Don't forget me
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Sweet Jesus, PLEASE post a picture of yourself.
lol pleeeeeeeeease
Old 09-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #498
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kommisar View Post
I benched 140 no prob for the first time this morning.

feels good man.

still weak as fuc lmao. Can't go past 65 for rows, so thinking of just increasing reps. Gotta work on back strength a dumpload though
Nice man, that's not bad. I started at 60lbs on the bench haha. Remeber, if you're just trying to get a nice physique, it's not so much about the weight, but moreso about form, mind/muscle connection and Time Under Tension (TUT). Just find a weight that you can comfortably row without having to break form. Being able to use proper form and concentrate on the muscle you're working is key to muscle hypertrophy.

And yeah, lower reps usually correspond with strength moreso than hypertrophy. Try to stay within 10-15 rep range realistically. If you're trying to build base strength, it's good to do lower reps on the main compound movements. That way you're building strength where it's needed which in turn will help with your assistance exercises, but mainly, you're building strength where it's needed.

I do 3 sets for my main compound lifts. The reps go like this. 5,5,AMRAP (As many reps as possible, or failure). So on Bench Press, OHP, Squat, Deadlift, it would be the heaviest you can do for 5,5,AMRAP. The progression works like this. If you can get over 6 reps on the AMRAP, you up the weight. For an upper body movement (Bench press, Overhead press) you up it by 2.5lbs. For legs, it's 5lbs. I just personally can't deadlift or squat cause of my back, so I do leg press, among others to make up for it. This is the progression from Greyskull LP.

That's just some basic info you can take with you to the gym.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #499
Senip
Forum User

When I first started lifting weights I was like 13, and could barely get 130. Lots of football workouts shoved that to 425, along with everything else.

It's different trying to work for hypertrophy, which, for me, is much more taxing than it is to leap on and do heavy heavy sets for 3-8 reps. I feel nauseated every freakin time I go past 12.

Quote:

tuesday/thurs = arms
So you're basically a suns out, guns out beach bro?
Senip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:18 AM   #500
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
I feel nauseated every freakin time I go past 12.
That's the idea