Chromer
Hookers and Blow
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Chromer Send a message via Yahoo to Chromer
Default Re: FFX vs. FFXII graphics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstrike0159 View Post
Overly complicated and ill-written statement
Wow. If you had trouble understanding FFXII's story then you must be some dummy who hasn't read a lick of history for that matter. The story is fairly simple to understand if you pay attention. I'm thinking you haven't even played FFXII because if you had, then you realize that the scenery in XII far surpasses the scenery in X. Also, the character models in XII surpass that of X as well. I'm not trying to say XII is the greatest omg but to say graphically and gameplay-wise that IX or X is better is just.....wrong.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:22 PM   #22
slipstrike0159
FFR Player

Location: In the shadows behind you with my assassin's blade waiting to strike
Send a message via MSN to slipstrike0159

First of all dont flame my opinion because of your own inability to correctly understand what i was trying to get across. Second of all i have played FFXII and i still think that the scenery in game has more of a bland feeling to it than some of the other games i have played. Third, i meant to say that to actively engage a player in the story and have them get completely wrapped around it you generally have to start off with a more simplistic tone. You have to realise that there is a large FF fanbase that is specifically located in the early teens and as much as they want to act like they understand everything once you throw something at them that starts off immediately with a lot of history information and background story in the first couple minutes of the game they tend to not have too good of an opinion of it right off the bat. To say that i am dumb for not understanding it would 'just be....wrong' because i was speaking about a good portion of players. Last of all, it is called Final FANTASY correct? All i am saying is that some of the other games in the series more effectively display the classic fantasy part of the storyline.

slipstrike0159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 08:32 PM   #23
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

I liked the fact FF12 was sophisticated story-wise. The story isn't overly complex but the characters are smart for once. The story is engaging and the characters are interesting if you truely pay attention and can handle the difficulty in the dialogue. The voice acting also goes right over X's head.

The game did a lot of things right. I think had they rehashed the same ol' formula it would have been a catastrophe. They really picked the series up with 12 and got it back on its feet, with a clean, fun, large new world to explore with some seriously great gameplay.

I have high expectations for the up and coming FF games. As far as I know they're keeping the new battle system, which is excellent news. As far as I'm concerned, and a lot of others would agree...this is some of the best the series has ever seen.

Screw actually talking about it. Sit down and play one of the older final fantasies and then play 12. There is no comparison. FF12 completely trashes the competition and sends everything else into a black hole. FF10 was a great game but square really shows what the ps2 is capable of with 12 and brings back the great gameplay fans enjoy. I enjoyed the unique movie-like style 10 has, but 12 takes the cake.

I've played every final fantasy in the series more than once now, and I have to say all around ff12 really has the formula, up there with ff6 easily. The game has great everything really.

If I was to criticize FF12...well, I could come up with a few things I didn't like. I didn't like some of the 'I need to use a guide to figure this out' sidequests in the game. Most of the sidequests are as close to impossible to figure out on your own as it can get. Some of the characters are undeveloped and don't live up to their potential. Traps really start to get on your nerves after awhile. Also, a lack of save points in certain areas can make you really angry at times.

I also don't see how this game is lacking in fantasy elements. This game has some of the most incredibly cool areas the series has seen. I mean, Giruvegan? The mountain area? Phon coast? The capital city? Some of the complex dungeons? I mean, what exactly are you looking for here when you say 'fantasy' elements? The scenery in this game is incredible. What exactly was in the other final fantasies that is above and beyond these areas? I'd like to know. I've played all of them.

(Don't you dare say something from final fantasy 7 >__>. What an overrated game. I mean, it really is a great game, but no kids, sephiroth is not nearly as cool as you think he is and if you replay the game it has some really dry spots. Specifically Midgar, which is horrible. Most of the good parts in FF7 take place between the temple of ancients and somewhere near the end of disk 2. All of the final bosses are way too easy and sephiroth ends up being a weakling XD The dialogue itself is also like someone shat on the script compared to FF12. )

I would have liked to see an airship in this game, and a completely interactive world map though

Last edited by Reach; 02-13-2007 at 08:45 PM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:31 AM   #24
Dark Ronin
FFR Player

Graphics wise XII did look a little better. But I think Final Fantasy needs to go back to its roots. I understand that they want to get a broader fan base by incorporating new ideas into it and making the game more "life like". But Final Fantasy has a fan base. Its a great game, always has been. The people that support it will continue to support it and all the haters will just keep hating it, no matter what they do. I dont like the fighting style in XII. It looks great and its fun, but you just dont get the same level of strategy in it. On Final Fantasy X I beat seymore at level 20 just using a sound strategy. All my friends had to be level 30-40. On XII the only way to beat most of the hunts is by leveling up. If you dont level up you cant do it. Stategy means little to nothing. My little sister is 7 years old. Useing my characters she beat the final dungeon without pushing a button. Where is the strategy in that? Oh and last but not least. The airships. Back in the day getting an airship rocked. It allowed you to freely fly anywhere you want. In the new FFs it ment that you get a list of the names of places. Who wants to fight through the whole game for a list, I mean seriously.
Dark Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-7-2007, 06:20 AM   #25
SammyWinchester
FFR Player

I love the Final Fantasy 12 game, but they looked weird. Like...I don't know, Vaan's chest was oddly colored...
SammyWinchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-7-2007, 08:13 AM   #26
panphil
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to panphil Send a message via Skype™ to panphil

I liked FFX more than the 12.
Graphics : i prefer the ones in FFX
Story: FFX, the 12 has a good story but not as good.
Gameplay: FFX, Strategy!
Characters: FFX
Sound: well i didnt play FFXII in a while but i would like to know if the mouth is syncronised to the sound. ( in FFX its crap)

FFX: 95% FFXII : 90% ( for the newish (gameplay) FFVII : 95% ( i really liked it )
Old 12-7-2007, 08:36 AM   #27
Ozie-Saf
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

FF12 is a good game in almost everyway: the story is great, graphics are amazing, the gameplay is pretty nice (at least it's not boring). I just think this game shouldn't be called "Final Fantasy". It doesn't have the "cuteness" of all the other FF games: the story is more sophisticated than in any other FF, almost all the characters have a "serious" personality (I mean, even though Vaan is the *hero*, he's not too dumb!!!), everything is sooo "serious". And I totally agree with slipstrike0159 when he says the game lacks (final) fantasy elements. The character design (huh, vagrant story.....ok I know VS takes place in Ivalice, but it's not a FF game in any way lol), the music (Nobuo, please come back!!) and so on....+ the fact that many characters were undeveloped. Oh, and I hated the fact that you had to fight the SAME monsters over and over again (just different sizes and colors) and that you had to open chests many times before you could finally get the item you needed....FF12 IS a good game, but I wish it were a book instead of a game.

About FF10: Tidus+Yuna's dialogues = *facepalm*.

=>One last thing I didn't like about FF12:
comparaison.JPG
Copie de comparaison.JPG
Copie (2) de comparaison.JPG

Last edited by Ozie-Saf; 12-7-2007 at 01:22 PM..
Ozie-Saf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-7-2007, 08:38 AM   #28
panphil
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to panphil Send a message via Skype™ to panphil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozie-Saf View Post

=>One last thing I didn't like about FF12: it just kept reminding me of Star Wars....
Attachment 14332
Attachment 14333
Attachment 14334
lol you're right
Old 12-7-2007, 02:27 PM   #29
zidart
FFR Player

i liked both wich one has better graphics...well the obvious answer is final fantasy XII, and also i loved the vagrant story art style.
zidart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-7-2007, 04:38 PM   #30
cetaka
Dark Chancellor
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to cetaka

the great crystal was seriously one of the coolest areas i've ever seen in any video game, no question. just based on the title of the thread I don't think there's any competition lol

and that guy up there who said that his seven year old sister beat the last dungeon (I assume you mean bahamut), well, yeah. obviously if you've got 99's, it's going to be easy. it's not even as hard as the last 5-10 hunts anyway imo. if you want more of a challenge equip those accessories that stop exp gain, just like you would use no encounters in ffx.

cetaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-7-2007, 05:16 PM   #31
Ozie-Saf
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

@ Zidart: I never said I didn't like the Vagrant Story art style (actually it's one of my favourite games!!!), I just don't think it has that "final fantasy feel" that I really like .

Ozie-Saf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-7-2007, 06:19 PM   #32
zidart
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromer View Post
Wow. If you had trouble understanding FFXII's story then you must be some dummy who hasn't read a lick of history for that matter. The story is fairly simple to understand if you pay attention. I'm thinking you haven't even played FFXII because if you had, then you realize that the scenery in XII far surpasses the scenery in X. Also, the character models in XII surpass that of X as well. I'm not trying to say XII is the greatest omg but to say graphically and gameplay-wise that IX or X is better is just.....wrong.
even i a foreigner with horrible grammar was able to understand the story so chromer you got a point

@ozie-staf i know that is not a final fantasy art style but the point of this game is to make it different than other final fantasy games, and i think they succeded in a awesome way (though this games brings a lot of controversy)
zidart is offline   Reply With Quote