Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2005, 10:10 AM   #21
stretchypanda
shock me shock me
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to stretchypanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layla-Day
OR... Get your lazy Ass up in the morning, and go to bed at night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE SECOND PARAGRAPH OF THE ORIGINAL POST
according to studies teens fall asleep and wake up later and are able to learn better later in the day
thx for reading.

So, I got a job writing for my town's newspaper when it introduced a section that was supposed to be "for teens, by teens." I decided to write a huge persuasive article about the joys of starting school later, and did all kinds of research and then my editor (a forty-something woman) told me that teenagers wouldn't be interested in my article and said I should come up with something else.

Anyway, the most interesting thing I learned was that of teenagers who were involved in car wrecks on their way to school early in the morning, most of them said they were too tired to focus, causing them to lose control of their vehicle or hit another car or whatever.

So, yes, I believe school should be pushed back at least half an hour (pushing the time back an hour where I went to school would mean not getting out until 4:15). I also firmly believe that college classes should not start before 9 am.
stretchypanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 12:17 PM   #22
msbrunnettemickey
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to msbrunnettemickey Send a message via MSN to msbrunnettemickey

Quote:
Anyway, the most interesting thing I learned was that of teenagers who were involved in car wrecks on their way to school early in the morning, most of them said they were too tired to focus, causing them to lose control of their vehicle or hit another car or whatever.
Yes, Panda is right.
Even i fell asleep. O.O.
Studies show (like what panda posted) that teens fall asleep in the middle of driving to school, because they are so tired, and depressed in early mornings.

בקצה השמיים, ובסוף המדבר, יש מקום רחוק מלא פרחי בר
מקום קטן, עלוב ומשוגע, מקום רחוק מקום לדאגה
יש אומרים שם שמשיקרה וחושבים אל כל מה שקרה
אלוהים שם יושב ורואה ושומר אל כל משברא
אסור לקטוף את פרחי הגן
אסור לקטוף את פרחי הגן
ודואג ודואג נורא
msbrunnettemickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 12:28 PM   #23
Rebirth0
FFR Originalbro
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

My answer to the question, Yes school should start at a later time.

Even 15 minutes more would help me a lot. I always seem to wake up 5 minutes before school starts and am late much of the time. Pushing the time back just 15 minutes would get me to school on time.

Panda, your editor doesn't seem to know anything does she? I don't think there's one person that wouldn't read that article when they see it.

Now, next year I'm going to a new school that starts at 7:15. They are the earilest school in the district and they seriously should start later. The Middle School that I go to is the Middle School that starts the earliest in the district also, right now school starts at 8:00 AM. And the other schools start at 8:25 or 8:35. I hate going to my school -_-
Rebirth0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 01:22 PM   #24
esupin
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to esupin

I seem to be the only guy in my school to get 8 hours of sleep every night... (I know lots of girls who do though).

The main reason this will never happen is because of school sports. If school ended one hour later, there simply would not be enough time to go to practice/games and get home on time.
During winter track, the meets go until 8:00 PM since we have to take the bus to Boston. I get home at 9:45, and there is no time to do anything except eat and sleep.

Don't tell me I'm wrong-they were debating this in my high school, but according to one of the teachers who also coaches, that was a reason it never happened.

http://www.youtube.com/esupin
esupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 01:24 PM   #25
msbrunnettemickey
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to msbrunnettemickey Send a message via MSN to msbrunnettemickey

In a survey of 3,000 high-school students in Rhode Island, Dr. Carskadon and her colleagues found that the teens on average were getting just 7.3 hours of sleep each night. Only 15 percent of them were receiving 8.5 hours of sleep each night, and a whopping 26 percent were sleeping only 6.5 hours or less.

Ooh, i guess more students get 6 and less hours of sleep...
And, half + more students of the 26% are getting D's and F's.
Ouch.

אסור לקטוף את פרחי הגן
אסור לקטוף את פרחי הגן
ודואג ודואג נורא
Old 05-21-2005, 02:32 PM   #26
suicidalmuskrat
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to suicidalmuskrat Send a message via MSN to suicidalmuskrat Send a message via Yahoo to suicidalmuskrat

I see both sides of it. Ya know, as a 20 year old, you can definitely see the benefits of forcing kids to get up. Because they'll have to do it their whole life. And honestly, do you think if your school started an hour later you'd get more sleep? I'm almost certain after a few months all of you would be getting the exactly the same amount you are now. You'd just stay up later. I know that's the case for me. I have almost all night classes at college, and I usually work nights. I'm up anywhere from 5-8 in the morning every night. Which isn't healthy, or practical. And it happened because I was just too lazy to force myself up in the morning.

What I DO think should be changed though, are the times in which the MEAP/SAT/ACT/all other standardized tests are given. I feel confident that I could have done 15% better on those tests if they weren't held at 8/9. And I could easily tell the difference between the first and last sections, my brain is much more active. And it's also been proven. That's what I think should change.
Old 05-21-2005, 02:47 PM   #27
veranica
FFR Player

I say no. My school starts at 7:30 am and gets out at 2:12. I know its early and for those with longer bus rides or for those that take showers or do their hair in the morning(I'm not one of them, I just jump out of bed and goto school lol). Its better this way because you get out nice in early so you can stay after school for an extra lesson or some other activity and still get home in time to take care of a younger brother or sister. I know I wouldn't be able to stay after if my parents would have to pay a baby sitter every time I wanted to stay after school. Also, when I did cross country last year, some of the schools didn't get out until our team showed up, and we had a 30+ minute bus drive and had to change before we got onto the bus. So, I don't know its a close one, but I'd rather have my afternoon and suck it up in the morning.

I do agree with the poster above me that standardized tests should start later in the day. Its such a hassle to get their on time and get set up and to go to bed early the day before so that you will have plenty of rest, expecially since they are usually on a Saturday.

Will that ever happen, prob not.
veranica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 04:41 PM   #28
snickers411
FFR Player

My school starts at 9:15 and gets out at 3:55. I really wish it would have an earlier start (7:30 would be great for me...) because I never seem have any time to fit in homework with extra-curricular activities, sports, etc. Even the ELEMENTARY school gets out earlier than us, and they don't have nearly as much homework or sports.
All of you are saying you wish it would start later so you can get more sleep, but if it starts earlier you can go to bed earlier anyways...
snickers411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 04:47 PM   #29
JurseyRider734
lil j the bad b-word
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to JurseyRider734 Send a message via Skype™ to JurseyRider734

Damn, I wish I had school at 9:15. That's 15 minutes earlier than the time we have to be at school for a DELAYED OPENING. Waking up at 8:30 every weekday is NOT a problem with me. I really don't do much after school so it would work out pretty well for me. I usually don't do my homework(if I even decide I want to do it) until around 8:30 or 9. Then I go to bed at around 11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurseyRider734
the fact that you're resorting to threatening physical violence says a lot anyway.
Just that you're a piece of shit who can't see reason and instead deserves a fucking beating.
JurseyRider734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 06:15 PM   #30
vashthestampede0987
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to vashthestampede0987

My first class starts at 7:50, but my bus comes at 7:05.....The high school bus comes at around 6:30-40ish and their first class is like at 7:20 or something. I end having either football, basketball, or wrestling(depends upon the season) I would be doing track but instead I have another basketball season that isn't for my school. I decide to do my homework when I get home which is about 5ish from the first 3 sports (The second basketball season varies) I have dinner, do my homework while fooling around with the computer and such, blow it off for a little, do it again. Then I'm up till like 10:30 on the computer. I end up sleeping at around midnight because of Family Guy :P. I don't need the extra sleep too bad, but I'd like it a lot better than getting 6 hours of sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthlight
I hate myself.

Cheers,

Synthlight
xxpla tonic love: GIVE IT TO ME
xxpla tonic love: ****ing give it to me
vashthestampede0987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 12:36 PM   #31
Saturos
FFR Player

To the original question; no.

Sure, its unhealthy and whatnot to only get 5 hours of sleep or not, but it's ultimately you choice and/or your fault you go to bed so late at night. You know you have school in the morning, so instead of making it harder than it should be to get out of bed in the morning, go to bed earlier.

Aside from that, I liked starting early better for other things you enjoy after school. I'm done with school now, but I still need to get up at the same time (6:30) everyday to make it to work on time.
Saturos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 01:37 PM   #32
Tank101
I V vi iii IV I IV V
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Tank101

There's a difference between when you go to sleep and when you wake up.

I go to sleep at 10:30 and wake up at 7.

That's 8 1/2 hours of sleep, and yet I still feel extremely tired because I interrupted the sleep that my body needed.

Your body was meant to wake up on it's own, not to be forced up.
Tank101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 04:43 PM   #33
HeroOfShadows
FFR Player

Personally, I think that school starts at a reasonable time already. Mine starts at 7:45, well, we have to be in homeroom by then, and ends around 2:45. I get up around 5:30 and have no problems in the morning. I usually go to sleep around 11. 6.5 hours sleep cuts it for me, and I guess that's average. I don't have any problems with my morning classes, but at the end of the day I'm ready to leave.

But I am just one person, and I have friends that could sleep ALL FREAKIN DAY.

I guees I'm trying to say it's different for everyone, and I don't mind school starting time how it is now.
HeroOfShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 01:28 PM   #34
Enigma-7
FFR Player

The standard for my area is for school to start at 9 and end at 3:30.

My school. being evil, starts at 8:25 and ends at 3:00.

I was used to 9AM-3:30PM, as it's like the atandard for my previous school and every school in this whole reigon, plus my school doesn't recieve as much homework as it seems others do, and nobody here has a job yet.
If my school would keep to the standard, I'd still be able to get home on time, walk my dog, eat lunch, do myt homework, all in time for 6:00 Simpsons.

But... I can always fall asleep on the carpet in front of my bed, if it's really thast serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrESqueek
Vomit: "Spew a rainbow of past-digested delicacies."

~Squeek
Enigma-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 05:34 PM   #35
msbrunnettemickey
FFR Player

Ha. Hahaha. Hahahaha.

The elementry schools in Tenafly, NJ = Begin at 8:30 End at 3:10
Middle school= Begin at 8:25 End at 2:47
High school Begin 8:00 End at 3:00.

But i take extra hours because im concidered a "very hard working" student. Yes, i got basketball, track, and extra studies, and i also want time to have fun. So i really get out of school at 4:00 sometimes.

Middle schoolers... Lucky bastards/bitches.

אסור לקטוף את פרחי הגן
אסור לקטוף את פרחי הגן
ודואג ודואג נורא
Old 05-24-2005, 09:27 PM   #36
suicidalmuskrat
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to suicidalmuskrat Send a message via MSN to suicidalmuskrat Send a message via Yahoo to suicidalmuskrat

Damn I'm old...I guess there's an advantage to going to a private school. Tuesdays and thursdays we had chapel for about 20 minutes, which i skipped. On the other days, I was late to first period probably 75% of the time. I set the school record for detentions in a year. I had over 35 hours of detention my junior year. My senior year I took college classes so I missed the first couple of hours of highschool, and it's not a big deal if you're late or don't show up to a college class, so that dramatically reduced the detentions...And I played all the highschool sports I could (baseball, basketball, soccer....in michigan you can only play 3 sports a year...which is a bummer, because i would have done tennis and track as well, if possible...)...i don't know how I managed highschool...looking back, it was insane. But I really think it's a personal thing. Because even if I got 10 hours of sleep from 10-8, I wouldn't feel near as rested as if i slept 6 hours from 5-11...which is weird.

oh, and I usually didn't actually get done with school/activities for most of the year until 9...because I also did the musical/drama for junior and senior year...but it was fun...in some ways I miss highschool a lot.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:05 AM   #37
Privateer
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Privateer

Elementary school: 9:15 to 3:15
Middle School: 8:30 to 2:30
High School: 7:02 to 2:04

Those are the exact numbers. You'd think there was a typo when the decided the times for high school 70 years ago but they kept it that way.

As for the topic question, the entire school schedule needs to be revamped. But if you are going to keep it to five days a week like it is now, you can't push the time ahead. Doing that would effectively push ahead the other schools' times because of bus schedules. It would also make after school activities be pushed way too far into the day.

Of course, that's what I would prefer. I'd love it if school was from 10 to 5, but I know that would never happen for a high school.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:14 AM   #38
LegendaryDJ
FFR Player

[quote]Elementary school: 9:15 to 3:15
Middle School: 8:30 to 2:30
High School: 7:02 to 2:04

Those are the exact numbers. You'd think there was a typo when the decided the times for high school 70 years ago but they kept it that way.

As for the topic question, the entire school schedule needs to be revamped. But if you are going to keep it to five days a week like it is now, you can't push the time ahead. Doing that would effectively push ahead the other schools' times because of bus schedules. It would also make after school activities be pushed way too far into the day.

Of course, that's what I would prefer. I'd love it if school was from 10 to 5, but I know that would never happen for a high school.

I diasgree, I am in middle school and my school starts at 8:00 a.m. I would like to have school from 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. like in elementary school. i believe that becuase of that my grades have dropped greatly from 90-100's to 60-70 or 70-80. Sometimes though I get a report card with and average of 90-100. But I think early rising is the cuase of that. But that's just my opinion.
LegendaryDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 10:32 AM   #39
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

I would prefer it if my school started at 8:30. We currently start at 8, and we get out at 1:45 which is GREAT, but an extra half an hour of sleep would be perfect. Any later is just a little...rediculous. Sorry, go to bed earlier. How many people do I know that don't go to bed until midnight? Don't use being a teenager as an excuse to stay up O_O as easy as it is to do...go to bed at like 10 or something. You'll feel better in the morning. Hell, I get 8 and a half hours of sleep a night and I STILL wish I had more sleep...don't know how people can live off of 6 haha. I know I certainly wouldn't be thinking as straight as I do normally.

My summer job started at basically the same damn time as school anyway, so I might aswell stick with things. I wouldn't want to go at 9 or 9:30 or something...you'd get out way too damn late.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:35 AM   #40
Saturos
FFR Player

I function normally day to day with 5 hours sleep. There's a name for it but I forgot what it was. =\

But for normal people, just go to bed earlier and deal with it.
Saturos is offline   Reply With Quote