Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #21
Coolboyrulez0
VICES
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Default Re: meet your makers. (d6 destroyers)

no
btw the girl's eye in your sig looks really messed up and disturbing the way it closes instead of looking "cute"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
You should apply this to anyone who can answer these seriously and especially the winners of the upcoming official
I especially like the tourney winner idea.
It's almost like an interview with a team that has just won a championship.

Last edited by Coolboyrulez0; 06-13-2012 at 11:18 AM..
Coolboyrulez0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #22
Herogashix
Descension from Heaven
FFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Is this better cbr?
Old 06-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #23
Coolboyrulez0
VICES
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Yeah :>
Coolboyrulez0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #24
Emo_Saur_
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Emo_Saur_

Gashix sCK
Old 06-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #25
iironiic
D6 FFR Legacy Player
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Oops.. Misread a question. "2 hours" should be "2 hours each day".
iironiic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #26
Xayphon
sausage
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Xayphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #27
igotrhythm
Fractals!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to igotrhythm

Xay, you should answer everything in German. Maybe take a few digs at Metz and Hawk while you're at it and only they would know. XD
igotrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #28
samurai7694
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

cool stuff I like
Old 06-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #29
Hakulyte
the Haku
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Hakulyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #30
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Took me over an hour to write all of this, wow.

For those who dont know you, could you introduce yourself, and let everyone know a little bit about you. Where you are from, participate in any sports, play an instrument, let us know!

Well to start my name is Roy Steven Van Liew and I live in Massachusetts. My birthdate is July 14th, 1994 (currently 17 years old). And man, I don't even know where the hell to start in terms of what to talk about my journey. Back in middle school I was lonely and depressed and my first account was made in this time, ffdfadsdasd. The earliest I can remember from FFR is when Captain Jack was released in 2005 and taken down shortly after. In 6th grade my brother invited me to compete in a DDR tournament with another high school; it was funny to see me as a small kid going against high school seniors. That tournament resulted me in getting 2nd place, the last round being Max 300 and I got a C while the other guy got a B rofl. Needless to say I did have an interest in DDR back in the day. I don't remember how I stumbled onto FFR. Anyways, back in early 2007 I was called "Mr. Molto Boy" by Shashakiro and I had other alt accounts that held the same reputation. I was notorious for BS'ing like a motherfucker, l0l. I tried coming clean but after February 2008 I just saw that I honestly couldn't continue like that any further, so I actually came up with a new idea: Dossar. I basically wanted to start from a clean slate with a new name and keep a low profile. It was still a bit risky since it was March 2008 and my RVL account BS was still very very recent at the time. I did get comments like "how does someone AA 0x1311 within 3 weeks of SM playing, etc", so I wound up making lies about starting in 2008 in an attempt to deviate from the recent drama on my other alt accounts. For those of you that don't know, the "ODI" part in my name refers to omgdidinsane.com (that site is now dead) and it was another attempt to make it look like I was someone that came from ODI, not the previous bullshit Mr. Molto Boy that was receiving a lot of whiplash from the community haha. But that's basically how this account came into existence, this is not my first account on this site and I certainly did not start playing stepmania in March 2008 as I claimed back in the day when I wanted people to not think I was Mr. Molto Boy. Basically in 2008 I did notice I was naturally good at vibrating so I mainly did vibrating files; anyone who's seen my stepfiles from 2008 will notice the obvious vibrating influence and how poorly stepped they were. I liked the dump stepping style more than anything else because I always thought of these rhythm games as just AAAing with good MA or whatever, and these dumpfiles were definitely a change. Back in 2008 I was known for my Jackhammer Madness AAA, which was definitely a huge turning point and it was certainly a huge step up from the "Mr. Molto Boy" BS label I had earlier.

I used to play soccer and my parents made me try out basketball. After basketball I found that sports really just wasn't my thing. I used to do percussion up until freshman year of high school, then I stopped. I used to play Runescape way back in the day along with some other MMORPG's, but now those types of games are totally past me now.

What does a normal day for you consist of?

That depends. I don't have a clear, cut out plan for each day; rather if things work out the way that I'd expect, I have the time to get to what I want to do during the day. A lot of the time though, I run short on time RIP.

Could you let everyone know what settings you use when you play as far as speed, keys, engine, and any other settings.

The way I play is a bit strange. Anyone who's seen my videos will probably notice that I sometimes quickly extend my fingers during a song; this is basically a quick stretch that is actually sometimes involuntary (I can't have my ring or pinky fingers stationary for that long so this happens quite a bit). I use upscroll 1.75x speed when I play FFR; 0.25 intervals make the game smoother for me, and 1.5x was too slow and 2x was too fast. 1.75x allows me some time to interpret a section while still being a comfortable scrolling rate. I use DFJK as my setup right now, but sometimes I might have to change my setup (such as the case for Revolutionary Etude and back when I played AIM Anthem, I used m,./ instead which basically has all four keys right next to each other for an "anchor setup"). Every since the Velocity Engine was released, I've adapted to it and it has a lot of neat features.

Besides gaming in general, what are your hobbies/interests?

I'm actually not much of a gamer at all. FFR/SM is basically the only game I've been sticking to for some time now. Occasionally I read (most of the time being for school, but sometimes I find interesting things) books, although that's not something I like much because my reading speed is ridiculously slow. I have an interest in seeing how computers are made (I'm majoring in Computer Engineering for my college career) and I spend most of my time on this laptop. I'm also interested in learning some programming along the way. I also help my family with household things and participate in community events such as walks and volunteer work. I also have an interest in improving things on FFR to the best of my ability.

Communicating over AIM/Skype is something I do frequently too, so if you want to contact me, I'm usually on unless I'm on vacation or something. I'm interested in getting to know other people too, sometimes to the point of "I don't want to talk to you about this" haha. Another interest that has a good chance of becoming a potential hobby is alphes art (don't get me started).

How long have you been playing rhythm games, and who got you started?

Seven years now (2005). I first played Guitar Hero when it came out, and like I said I also played DDR back in the day, DDR Extreme 2 when it was first released. I'd say my brothers got me started because they did introduce some of these games to me. However mostly self-motivation got me to where I am now.

When do you feel you have reached "expert" so to say level of stepmania/ffr?

Good question! If you have enough skill to appreciate higher level files, I'd say you've reached an expert level. You don't have to be SDGing a file or even FCing it to see what the stepartist was going for. Of course, it also depends on the file.

About how much do you practice/play FFR/SM a week?

I don't keep track of this. Sometimes I don't play at all, sometimes I'll have sessions that can last 3 hours or around that time. I do like playtesting my files and stepping files though, so this could probably count as "playing". If that's the case, I'd say I could spend anywhere from just a few hours to maybe twenty hours a week. It really depends on how things work out during the day.

Who would you say your rival is?

High D6. Too many players to name. I'd definitely consider Staiain and Isaac speed rivals, but they don't play FFR.

With the Official FFR Tournament coming up, where do you see your self placing?

I'm definitely seeing myself placing Top 3 unless there's some massive twist, haha. I'm not as concerned this time if I don't place 1st because I already got the support tokens, vrofl, freedom dive, etc. from the 6th Official Tournament, but I will still give a genuine effort like I did in the last Official.

Can you give any advice to those who are trying to improve?

Use a speedmod that is comfortable for you; by this, I mean that you will encounter complex files. Like I stated earlier in the settings question, 2x was too fast for me. Even though I can somewhat read it, hard patterns become a nightmare, so I use 1.75x instead. Even then, this is a difficult question to approach because I already started out with decent jacking control and vibrating, so I can't really tell the limits of another player physically. Back in 2008 I played a lot of "dumpfiles" on stepmania simply because it was the type of file I liked. I didn't even have a set routine or anything, just overtime I got better from these files. Also, keep in mind that FFR is a frame based game. AAAing becomes an entirely different story on FFR compared to FCing with a few goods, and some files are really really ugly. Look for 1-frame intervals, and get used to what these intervals look like on your speed mod setting. 1.75x is good at determining intervals, another reason why I use the speed. 1-frame intervals can change your approach to a file; for me, it can make the difference between hitting a jump or doing gallops. Of course, make sure you have a tolerable keyboard. This haggard smashed laptop has lasted me quite some time and it doesn't limit me as much as a windows 98 pos bulky keyboard would.

If you could change, or add something to FFR what would you change/add?

On Indeed, there is a big list of ideas that Rebound, qqwref, and I have put together. Simply put, there are a lot of things I think could use revamping on FFR, but I'd rather not get into that here.
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #31
Jerry DB
FFR, lift, repeat
FFR Veteran

damn dossar you wrote an autobiography haha. I read it all though, good stuff. I like the way your wrote the first part about coming clean and starting over, shows everybody it's never too late to change.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:55 PM   #32
AlexDest
good hot
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

PM'd you my answers to the questions provided.

I like this idea, would be interesting to see what others have answered for us.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #33
xXOpkillerXx
Forever OP
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Hnnng I wanna answer in french x3 I'll start answering now !
xXOpkillerXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #34
m0de
Marble Eater
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to m0de

im having some formatting issues.. can anyone spot why my OP wont allow you to click the spoilers? heres the original code:

http://pastebin.com/c1C3PEY9

edit, until i figure out what the **** im doing wrong here, i will post the interviews without spoilers. also thanks in advance to anyone who figures out why im an idiot.

edit 2.. all interviews have been added to the OP. now to figure out my formatting issue. once again thank you to everyone who has participated! OP will be cleaned up asap!

edit 3......penis... OP is cleaned up a bit so it isnt a giant cluster****. still waiting on some interviews, but im really happy with those who have submitted already :]

Last edited by m0de; 06-13-2012 at 03:14 PM..
m0de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #35
m0de
Marble Eater
FFR Veteran

double post.. just waiting on xXOpkillerXx, XXXsmittyXXX, One Winged Angel, and Zyphoror. another batch of players will be kindly asked if they can participate in the interview once those players have responded.

Quote:
You should apply this to anyone who can answer these seriously and especially the winners of the upcoming official
this is a great idea that i have also thought about doing. i do plan on following up with the tournament winners with a seperate set of questions.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #36
Xx{Midnight}xX
FFR Player

Actually now that I think on it, we should do this with a small deal of every division like people in nonofficials (such as Ru Guru's, Soco's Eternity, and Zak's for examples of current ones) who placed well, like the top 4 of each division from these tourneys respectively.

If you like the idea M0de I'd be more than happy to assist as this is something I'm actually interested in.

And if you don't want to do it, would you mind if I did and made a separate thread (using different questions obviously.)

I think this can be used to gather extra hype for the official to get people to try competing with the "known" players. Just a large thought though.
Xx{Midnight}xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #37
xXOpkillerXx
Forever OP
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

For those who don’t know you, could you introduce yourself, and let everyone know a little bit about you. Where you are from, participate in any sports, play an instrument, let us know!

Hello, my name is Mathieu (Matthew in English) and I am from Quebec, Canada. I’m 17 years old and I’ve almost finished Secondary school, going to CEGEP next year (Quebec’s way of education haha). I love learning anything by myself; actually I’m starting to study Japanese, I do some advanced maths (compared to what we did in class this year) and I try to get into C++ programming. Most of the time, I’m a pretty competitive person in general but I’m also very lazy when it comes do doing stuff I just don’t want to do. For the sports well I’ve been practicing martial arts since I was 3 years old. At first I was doing Karate, but I stopped when I was 7 (I had the blue belt) because the way I learned it was too violent and not enough about self-defence and techniques. Then I immediately started to practice Taekwondo until this year; I got my black belt 1st Dan 3 years ago. And now I’m doing Kung-Fu (stopped taekwondo 5 months ago). Finally for the instruments well I have a keyboard in my room but I’m too lazy to learn how to play it right now haha, maybe this summer!

Could you let everyone know what settings you use when you play as far as speed, keys, engine, and any other settings?

My usual key setup is “34-=” downscroll (Because of Guitar Hero) which is almost the same as “askl”. My speed mod varies very slowly; I’ve been using 1.75 a lot this year but now I’m using 2.1 and I think it will get higher and higher with time because I think the most you develop the ability to read the denser patterns, the easier it is to take a look at them, for example in a replay or even ingame, and hit them correctly without having to remember it (in your head or simply by muscular memory), which in my opinion helps getting over many mindblocks. I never really tried isolation files but I think it can also help a lot as long as you don’t overuse it.

Besides gaming in general, what are your hobbies/interests?

I got to say I really like video games, which is probably why I have much interest in programming and computers. I want to go to Japan when I’m done with school because of technology and fooooood haha.

How long have you been playing rhythm games, and who got you started?

Hmmm, the very first time I’ve played any rhythm game to get better at it and not just for fun was when Guitar Hero 2 came out. I’ve become pretty good at that game but I lost interest in it after GH3 so when I saw a video of someone playing some Pac Man file on SM, I thought I’d give it a go and I failed, but I really liked the game and I had some skills in rhythm games already so I was seeing myself getting way better than most of my friends so that was some kind of boost for my interest in the game. Then, for a very long time, Izzy was, for me, The SM God because I didn’t know much about the whole community and AAAA (AAAAAs even) looked so impossible to me until last year.

When do you feel you have reached "expert" so to say level of stepmania/ffr?

Last year (Early 2011). Some people in FFR’s community know I went from big mashing pro who loved combo scoring to the D6 player I am now.

About how much do you practice/play ffr/sm a week?

It varies a lot; sometimes I can play up to 5 hours in a row because I get fully warmed up and try to clean as many scores as I possibly can, which usually takes much time because I have to FC the files. Also, if I decide to stop playing ffr or SM for any amount of time, I always manage to get my skills back even though the skilldrop is important.

Who would you say your rival is?

I honestly don’t know, even though Eze and Zypho say I’m as good as them (better even) I think I have no rival really because all the players near my skill level are statistically far ahead.

With the official ffr tournament coming up, where do you see yourself placing?

Well I might place in the top 8 if I put a lot of effort in it since I’ll have much time to whore the files and practice but then I don’t aim for anything, I just want to participate and to my best so I can be happy with the final results.

If you could change, or add something to ffr what would you change/add?

Since many things are already in the process of being modified or replaced I don’t know what could be improved at the moment. However, maybe some statistics could be added to the players’ profiles like how much AAA’s you have in each difficulty or maybe give a rating on every file (from 1 to 10) for their different pattern difficulty (trills, jumpstream, jacks, bursts, etc.) and use the file’s actual difficulty (from 1 to 100 now) to determine how influent the pattern ratings are and then use the player's AAAs to tell his/her general abilities. The only problem is that it would take years haha.
xXOpkillerXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #38
m0de
Marble Eater
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Actually now that I think on it, we should do this with a small deal of every division like people in nonofficials (such as Ru Guru's, Soco's Eternity, and Zak's for examples of current ones) who placed well, like the top 4 of each division from these tourneys respectively.

If you like the idea M0de I'd be more than happy to assist as this is something I'm actually interested in.

And if you don't want to do it, would you mind if I did and made a separate thread (using different questions obviously.)

I think this can be used to gather extra hype for the official to get people to try competing with the "known" players. Just a large thought though.
this sounds like a great idea! i think that it will make players who are less known, more recognized. im sure those who participate would enjoy the spotlight. id love to help out in this project. it would certainly be alot easier with some help from you.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #39
One Winged Angel
Anime Avatars ( ◜◡^)っ✂╰⋃╯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Oh, I totally missed that spoiler with players when I checked this thread last night lmao

Really neat idea Mark, I'll try to get you my shit sometime tonight (I'll try to keep my answers as srs as possible, but no promises ~_~)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
i want to be cucked by cirno
One Winged Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #40
Xx{Midnight}xX
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0de View Post
this sounds like a great idea! i think that it will make players who are less known, more recognized. im sure those who participate would enjoy the spotlight. id love to help out in this project. it would certainly be alot easier with some help from you.
We should also consult with Jae about this getting a front page post as well.
Xx{Midnight}xX is offline   Reply With Quote