Old 12-5-2009, 12:06 AM   #21
XblazzedX
Cyan
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to XblazzedX Send a message via Skype™ to XblazzedX
Default Re: Unexplainable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmay View Post
i see the reflection of a house but thats not the house, look more to the right of the 'ghost' and you can actually see a house.
There were trees just about engulfing the place so I highly doubt you saw a house in the reflection, the house was at the end of a dead end road and the reflections in the window in the picture is facing away from the road, so there's no way a house would be in the reflection. I'm not sure what you see but I think you're seeing the door frame thats inside the room.

I looked on Google Images to see if I could get a picture that had a view of that side to show, but I could only find pictures of the side that's facing houses.

That gives you an idea of how much trees were around the place. So if it was a reflection, it would have to be of a tree.
Old 12-5-2009, 02:03 AM   #22
Flaming_Dingleberry
Everybody gets one.
FFR Veteran

Looks like a tree.

Goddamn Paqrat, ya idjit.
Old 12-5-2009, 02:23 AM   #23
cC@Zz
FFR Player

Given that there were that many trees around the house, I'd assume it was nothing more than a reflection of one of them.

Honestly people find faces in just about everything. I didn't even notice anything odd in the window you pointed out until I was directed to the zoom in shot with the arrows. I can see where someone could make out a face from that, but for me, it just doesn't come across as a face, instead more like a jumbled mess of nothing.

Did you know the place was "haunted" before looking over the picture. Your mind could have been subconsciously trying to search for "ghostly images" in the photos, thus you came to interpret something would resemble a face.
Old 12-5-2009, 02:31 AM   #24
Dr Tran
Banned

More than a decade ago, Diana Duyser of Hollywood, Fla., received a religious message through an unlikely medium: a grilled cheese sandwich she had made herself. As she gazed at the brown skillet marks on the surface of the bread, a familiar visage snapped into focus.
Skip to next paragraph

A grilled cheese sandwich, top, with an image of what some see as the Virgin Mary sold for $28,000 on eBay. Jesus Christ is seen in an oyster shell, a frying pan and a pirogi.

“I saw a face looking up at me; it was the Virgin Mary staring back,” she told reporters in 2004. “I was in total shock.”

After holding onto the stale relic for 10 years, Ms. Duyser put it up for sale on eBay. The auction generated so much excitement that the sandwich eventually sold for $28,000, proving that she was not alone in seeing a face where none should reasonably exist. (Efforts to locate her to comment for this article were unsuccessful.)

Such faces made headlines again near the end of 2006, when Mars Express, an orbiter from the European Space Agency, captured the highest-quality three-dimensional images to date of what looks like a face in the Cydonia region of Mars. The photos reignited conspiracy theories that governments on Earth are trying to hide the existence of intelligent life on Mars.

Why do we see faces everywhere we look: in the Moon, in Rorschach inkblots, in the interference patterns on the surface of oil spills? Why are some Lay’s chips the spitting image of Fidel Castro, and why was a cinnamon bun with a striking likeness to Mother Teresa kept for years under glass in a coffee shop in Nashville, where it was nicknamed the Nun Bun?

Compelling answers are beginning to emerge from biologists and computer scientists who are gaining new insights into how the brain recognizes and processes facial data.

Long before she had heard of Diana Duyser’s grilled-cheese sandwich, Doris Tsao, a neuroscientist at the University of Bremen in Germany, had an inkling that people might process faces differently from other objects. Her suspicion was that a particular area of the brain gives faces priority, like an airline offering first-class passengers expedited boarding.

“Some patients have strokes and are then able to recognize everything perfectly well except for faces,” Dr. Tsao said. “So we started questioning whether there really might be an area in the brain that is dedicated to face recognition.”

Dr. Tsao used functional magnetic resonance imaging to record which areas of the brain were activated when macaque monkeys were presented with stimuli including fruits, gadgets, scrambled patterns — and faces. She discovered almost immediately that groups of cells in three regions of the brain’s temporal lobe seemed to be strongly attuned to faces.

“The first day we put the electrode in, it was shocking,” Dr. Tsao said. “Cell after cell responded to faces but not at all to other objects.” Her results were published in October in the journal Science.

Dr. Tsao’s investigation yielded a surprising related finding: areas of the brain she had identified as face-specific occasionally lighted up in response to objects that bore only a passing resemblance to faces.

“Nonface objects may have certain features that are weakly triggering these face cells,” she said. “If you go above a certain threshold, the monkeys might think that they’re seeing a face.” In the same way, she said, objects like cinnamon buns, rocky outcroppings and cloud formations may set off face radar if they bear enough resemblance to actual faces.

Pawan Sinha, a cognitive scientist at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, has devoted years of research to figuring out just what attributes touch off these face-specific pings. Security software that is being developed for identifying potential terrorists or detecting intruders must be able to reliably recognize faces. In teaching the software to do this, Dr. Sinha and his colleagues have arrived at unexpected insights into the question of why we sometimes see a cinnamon bun as a cinnamon bun, and other times as the earthly incarnation of a sainted nun.

To develop detector software optimized to pick out any human face, even in less-than-ideal surroundings, Dr. Sinha began by putting into his computer hundreds of faces as varied as those in a Benetton advertisement famous for its diversity.

As the computer amassed the information, it was able to discover relationships that were of great significance to almost all faces, but very few nonfaces. “These turn out to be very simple relationships, things like the eyes are always darker than the forehead, and the mouth is darker than the cheeks,” Dr. Sinha said. “If you put together about 12 of these relationships, you get a template that you can use to locate a face.” Most people think of the cartoon smiley face, with its discrete eyes, nose and mouth, as the quintessential face template, but Dr. Sinha’s computer can identify faces even when the pictures are of low resolution.
Skip to next paragraph

When he presented human subjects with blurry face images, containing only 12 by 14 pixels’ worth of visual information, they performed similarly well, recognizing 75 percent of the face images accurately. This suggests that like the computer, the human brain processes faces holistically, like coherent landscapes, rather than one feature at a time.

These images are just “ dark blobs on a big blob,” Dr. Sinha said. “So clearly there’s not enough diagnostic information in the individual features. Yet something about the overall organization of the image, the gestalt, is still allowing us to recognize the face.”

Once in a while, the computer emits a false alarm. “This is a good analogy for what the human brain might be doing,” Dr. Sinha said. “Like the computer, it’s trying to determine what the regularities are in all of these faces to create a prototype.

“But this prototype is not perfect,” he said. “Sometimes genuine faces do not match these regularities, and sometimes nonfaces satisfy them.”

In other words, if the pattern of light and dark patches on a brindle cow happens to correspond to our conceptions of what a face should look like, we may interpret the coincidence as a visitation from Jesus Christ or Marilyn Monroe.

While the human tendency to see faces in other objects is rooted in neural architecture, the large number of actual faces we see every day may also be partly responsible for the Nun Bun phenomenon, said Takeo Watanabe, a neuroscientist at Boston University. His studies of learning processes show that after the brain is bombarded with a stimulus, it continues to perceive that stimulus even when it is not present.

To demonstrate this effect, Dr. Watanabe had subjects sit in front of a computer screen with faint dots cascading across it. At first, the participants could not figure out which direction the dots were moving. Then they went through another round of tests in which they were to identify letters superimposed on the dots as they moved across the screen.

When the subjects were then presented with a blank screen and asked to describe what they saw, a strange thing happened: not only did they insist they were seeing dots, but they tended to say the dots were moving in the direction they had been moving during the previous session.

Dr. Watanabe says the results suggest that subliminally learning something “too well” interferes with perceptions of reality. “As a result of repeated presentation, the subjects developed enhanced sensitivity to the dots,” he said. “Their sensitivity got so high that they saw them even when there was nothing there.”

Because faces make up such a significant part of the visual backdrop of life, he added, they may fall into the same category as the dots: people have gotten so used to seeing faces everywhere that sensitivity to them is high enough to produce constant false positives. This tendency to become hyperattuned to common stimuli may represent a survival advantage. “If you lived in primeval times, for instance,” Dr. Watanabe said, “it would be good to be very sensitized to tigers.”

Dr. Sinha of M.I.T. says that whether the hair-trigger response to faces is innate or learned, it represents a critical evolutionary adaptation, one that dwarfs side effects like seeing Beelzebub in a crumpled tissue.

“The information faces convey is so rich — not just regarding another person’s identity, but also their mental state, health and other factors,” he said. “It’s extremely beneficial for the brain to become good at the task of face recognition and not to be very strict in its inclusion criteria. The cost of missing a face is higher than the cost of declaring a nonface to be a face.”
Old 12-5-2009, 03:57 AM   #25
5.points
Provy
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to 5.points

It was the sun reflecting off the bending plastic on the window. Look at it all together.

I have always taking pictures of stuff, as a hobby, and have a strange one that I took in my kitchen a couple months ago. That's on my other computer though.

EDIT: If you look really close you can see branches that form the 'figure' on the non-edited zoomed picture. I do see what you mean though.

Edit: Basically what cC@Zz said.

Last edited by 5.points; 12-5-2009 at 04:05 AM..
Old 12-5-2009, 04:09 AM   #26
T-Force
Your world ends with you
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I'm voting ghost. But that's just my belief in that fact that they exist, and the transparency of the ghost can't really be done with a tree. The brown/black of the dress possibly, but the face? No.

/cuethe'idiot'calls
Old 12-5-2009, 04:30 AM   #27
5.points
Provy
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to 5.points

I was messing around with the image. Is this what you are seeing?
Old 12-5-2009, 06:02 AM   #28
Mythix
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Mythix

wat

It's a KKK member with a sovjet mark in the middle of his face. Easy.

ALso, I want to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0 View Post
This.
This.
Old 12-5-2009, 09:05 AM   #29
kmay
Don't forget me
FFR Veteran

lol!!! mythix i saw that last night as well on the top half of the window you can kind of see a KKK hat
and Carlos i read that whole thing and it makes perfect sense but in all those cases they know what faces are real and what faces are nonfaces... what if in the case of this picture they used that computer program to see if it resembles a face and the computer found it to look like a face. The scientists wouldn't really know what the answer is... just like none of us know.
Old 12-5-2009, 09:38 AM   #30
ninjaKIWI
plain old ugly ass dumbas
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to ninjaKIWI

That doesn't even look ghostly. It's obviously something inside the house, like a coat.
"Hey Foil. What's that you got there?" inquired Keywii.
"Oh, just my cock." Replied Foil.
"That just will not do." was keywii's response as she lunged for the scissors, pulled the blades apart, and clamped them down on the base of foil's shaft. Blood start gushing out of the wound where his penis used to be.
"NOOOOOOOOOOOO!" Yelled Foil in horror.
"Don't worry. I'm a wizard" uttered Keywii. And with that, Foil's penis grew back.
Old 12-5-2009, 09:43 AM   #31
Emo_Saur_
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Emo_Saur_

Looks like a KKK hood to me.
also, without looking through the thread this has been stated.
Also again, trees are green.
Old 12-5-2009, 09:56 AM   #32
Etylukah
Ultimate Gamer
FFR Veteran

I'm the only one who see that the window simply needs to get cleaned up? It's just dust..
Old 12-5-2009, 11:22 AM   #33
Mollocephalus
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Mollocephalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tran View Post
word
the discussion should have ended here
Old 12-5-2009, 01:10 PM   #34
woker-X
.... :.. .:. ::
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Interesting Image.

My stepfather took this photo sometime ago. The man in the photo is his brother, he died from cancer.

My stepfather said that his brother was sitting there alone.

Old 12-5-2009, 01:28 PM   #35
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

It could be anything... Possibly something inside the house like some curtains over an old chair. Until you go look inside the room it doesn't really mean anything.
Old 12-5-2009, 02:09 PM   #36
XblazzedX
Cyan
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to XblazzedX Send a message via Skype™ to XblazzedX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaKIWI View Post
That doesn't even look ghostly. It's obviously something inside the house, like a coat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluearrowll View Post
It's either a trenchcoat or a reflection of the curtain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paqrat View Post
Its an old jacket, or clothe to cover over a bookstand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
It could be anything... Possibly something inside the house like some curtains over an old chair. Until you go look inside the room it doesn't really mean anything.
I toured the place and I did go inside of the room. The only thing that was around that window was the curtain, and I don't remember there being a coat or a chair by the window when we were inside the room. It looks like it could be a coat but I don't know what it would be hanging from.
Old 12-5-2009, 02:15 PM   #37
Dr Tran
Banned

looks like some people are lazy and tldr any decent size chunk of text so to sum it up

WE SEE FACES EVERYWHERE BECAUSE THAT IS HOW WE IDENTIFY PEOPLE SO OBVIOUSLY WHEN WE SE SOMETHING THAT WE DONT KNOW WHAT IT IS THE FIRST THING WE LOOK FOR IS FACIAL FEATURES
Old 12-5-2009, 02:16 PM   #38
Dr Tran
Banned

OMG I TOOK THIS PICTURE DURING A TORNADO AND I THINK THIS IS THE FACE OF SATAN

Old 12-5-2009, 02:18 PM   #39
chidori!
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to chidori! Send a message via Yahoo to chidori!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etylukah View Post
I'm the only one who see that the window simply needs to get cleaned up? It's just dust..
This.
I can make a dust ghost too.
Old 12-5-2009, 02:18 PM   #40
Dr Tran
Banned

OMG THE FACE ON MARS THAT MUST MEAN THERE ARE MARTIANS O______________O

Closed Thread