Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-1-2008, 11:02 PM   #2801
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to korny
Default Re: Super Smash Brothers Brawl

I will play with items if i REALLY have to but not on every match. And when i do play in matches with items i play half assed because i really can't get into it. I only really try when it's an itemless match. Can't really have fun when there are obstacles on the stage that are preventing me from what should be an assured win. But i accept your challenge and it will have to be this friday or saturday.
korny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-1-2008, 11:05 PM   #2802
zidart
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by korny View Post
I will play with items if i REALLY have to but not on every match. And when i do play in matches with items i play half assed because i really can't get into it. I only really try when it's an itemless match. Can't really have fun when there are obstacles on the stage that are preventing me from what should be an assured win. But i accept your challenge and it will have to be this friday or saturday.
ok, like i said it will be just half of the matches not all of them.. we are trying to prove a point here, and those are

1. that skill still is a big factor in item matches
2. that an item user can be as good as a tourny player

i think friday night would be ok
zidart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-1-2008, 11:08 PM   #2803
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

I'm more than willing to prove both of those wrong. Friday night sounds good to me. I'll definitely be on so don't forget.
Old 04-1-2008, 11:14 PM   #2804
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

Korny I agree with you to a degree but...
Quote:
I have pure skill to lean on in case anyone ever decides to prove me wrong.
There is a skill to using items. The timing and ability to aim throws is enormously helpful compared to not being skilled in that way. I don't mean stupid-ass "get this item and you are unstoppable" items, I mean items like fan or beam sword or Mr Saturn. It's a wholly different skill, and in fact, a wholly different playing style, but the best OVERALL player, will be the one who is skilled in both close-combat/itemless AND item usage (again, taking note that I mean the items that actually require skill to make use of, not hammer, not smart bomb, not Pokeball, not any of that ****). For example, consider two people who are evenly matched. One can use items skillfully, the other cannot. Thus, the one who can use items well is more skilled.
Old 04-1-2008, 11:18 PM   #2805
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

Well it wouldn't really matter because you will never find a best overall player. Ken hoang, the best super smash bros. melee player of all time, probably isn't very skilled in item usage. Regardless, he is pure legend, and still considered the best smash player overall.
Old 04-1-2008, 11:22 PM   #2806
zidart
FFR Player

Quote:
Well it wouldn't really matter because you will never find a best overall player. Ken hoang, the best super smash bros. melee player of all time, probably isn't very skilled in item usage. Regardless, he is pure legend, and still considered the best smash player overall.
who knows, i doubt the best smash player has not played a lot of item match (i mean you have no option specially in "vs anyone" online) i guess there's some people like me that might challenge him like this (though i'm pretty confident i'm going to lose and i bet those people were too)
Old 04-1-2008, 11:23 PM   #2807
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Quote:
If he's as skilled as you say, then he would be more apt to pick up the skillset required to use items well.

It's really not THAT hard. Just takes some practice is all.
Old 04-1-2008, 11:26 PM   #2808
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

If by skillset you mean the ability to throw items with good enough accuracy to usually hit your target, then i have those skills already. If i have an item i almost always throw it.
Old 04-1-2008, 11:28 PM   #2809
zidart
FFR Player

i throw the useless keep the important.. throwing a fireworks cannon (or whatever is called in english) is a waste.

besides if you win in a item based battle it means that the first point is proved right

Last edited by zidart; 04-1-2008 at 11:31 PM..
Old 04-1-2008, 11:32 PM   #2810
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Quote:
If by skillset you mean the ability to throw items with good enough accuracy to usually hit your target, then i have those skills already. If i have an item i almost always throw it.
Not just accuracy, but also knowing WHEN to throw, being proficient at responding to items (such as knowing what to expect out of your opponent when they get their hands on each sort of item, and also the ability to catch if the circumstance calls for it), and probably the hurdle for you: to feel comfortable with them and think of them as a bonus for you, rather than something which is holding you back.
Old 04-1-2008, 11:33 PM   #2811
zidart
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
Not just accuracy, but also knowing WHEN to throw, being proficient at responding to items (such as knowing what to expect out of your opponent when they get their hands on each sort of item, and also the ability to catch if the circumstance calls for it), and probably the hurdle for you: to feel comfortable with them and think of them as a bonus for you, rather than something which is holding you back.
and to know how to beat the crap out of someone who's trying to get/or got a smash ball XD
Old 04-1-2008, 11:33 PM   #2812
masterhickle
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to masterhickle

I think that regardless of who wins, point one is being proven....the only point that needs be considered is #2.

About beating people up to keep them from getting smash balls...

I played a FFA with my friends recently, and smash balls were the only item on. I was Lucas, and got every smash ball that appeared. I was left against one friend, up 3 stocks to 1. A smash ball appeared, and I didn't wanna get it, because I had been getting at least 80% of the smash balls that appeared that night...so I started focusing on keeping him away XD. Went well until I accidentally snagged it.

Yeah...fun times....

Last edited by masterhickle; 04-1-2008 at 11:36 PM..
masterhickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-1-2008, 11:34 PM   #2813
OnixRose
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

sorry I didn't read the last few posts so I'm no real impact on the current conversation, but yesterday I played online for the 1st time, and got my ass kicked 4 out of 5 times, and I lagged pretty bad sometimes too which sucked, but I'll post my friend code here and edit it into my sig shortly. 4339-2489-9448

1000% supporter of FFR character additions
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonid View Post
FFR should implement a form of CAPTCHA that filters out not only spambots but also retards.
OnixRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-1-2008, 11:36 PM   #2814
zidart
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterhickle View Post
I think that regardless of who wins, point one is being proven....the only point that needs be considered is #2.
not exactly, if i happen to win in a item match but not in a itemless match it would mean i depend on items. so if he wins in both matches he proves 1 right and 2 wrong. if i win in both matches it proves both right.
Old 04-1-2008, 11:58 PM   #2815
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

If i win both it doesn't necessarily prove 1 right. You don't even have to beat me to prove 2 right you just have to be able to keep up with me.
Old 04-2-2008, 12:07 AM   #2816
zidart
FFR Player

Quote:
If i win both it doesn't necessarily prove 1 right. You don't even have to beat me to prove 2 right you just have to be able to keep up with me.
well i will be happy if i at least leave you in 100% with one stock.. wheter thats possible or not i have no idea XD (i'm acually not the best person to try this) but heck i want a challenge, i'm tired of playing with the same old people on-line.
Old 04-2-2008, 10:26 AM   #2817
ducky285
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to ducky285 Send a message via MSN to ducky285 Send a message via Yahoo to ducky285

Hey Korny, PM me your friend code. Mine is in my sig. Let's brawl sometime this weekend.
Old 04-2-2008, 11:45 AM   #2818
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

On the weekends i'm literally online all day and night so i'll have plenty of time to play everyone who's been wanting to play me.
Old 04-2-2008, 11:54 AM   #2819
Jor-Dan_the_greatest
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Jor-Dan_the_greatest Send a message via Yahoo to Jor-Dan_the_greatest

I'm game to fight whoever Im online alot for the next week so just let me know!
Old 04-2-2008, 03:37 PM   #2820
Tokzic
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tokzic

I'm somewhere between tourneyfag and casual player when it comes to items. I realize that there are far too many random elements at play that can only be overridden by playing a very long match when it comes to items, so when I'm playing someone to see which of us is better, I do no items.

But still, I find items make the game way more fun. Turning them off makes the game too simplistic to enjoy a lot. When I'm just in it for fun, items are on.

Last edited by Tokzic: Today at 11:59 PM. Reason: wait what
Tokzic is offline   Reply With Quote