Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 06:12 PM   #261
PaperclipGames
Mrow~
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to PaperclipGames Send a message via Skype™ to PaperclipGames
Default Re: Atheism/Theism thread

I can agree with such a definition. Phew. :3

I always thought of an atheist as someone who'd firmly answer "No", additionally adding something like "because believing in a god is ridiculous". Guess that way of looking at it is uniformally viewed as wrong by the majority of the people in this thread, so I'll adapt my vocabulary.
though, Choofers, the way you put it... it's still very edgy and can be considered a belief anyway, lmao, but w/e

948 AAAs | 1461 FCs | 549 TPs | 7 FMO AAAs
Skype: paperclipgames | Steam: alegiano | Last.fm: Alegiano | Ask.fm: Clippysan | Facebook: LINK
Best AAAs: Exciting Hyper Highspeed Star (69), Nous (69), Pure Ruby (68), Heavenly Spores (68), Ambient Angels (66), Within Life (66), Defection (66) Southern Cross (65)
Old 02-18-2013, 06:13 PM   #262
RB_Spirit
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to RB_Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperclipGames View Post
The amazing irony of this post is that you seem to have quite a feeling of being superior, enlightened, and feel the need to "bring the word" to everyone else in this thread.

just

wow, lmao

And it's not always believers that do bad when it comes to any sort of religious disasters. It really isn't like atheists are always the good guys.
The world is far from perfect. Does this thread need to be imperfect too? Apparently. It's a shame, though.
Not trying to get involved, BUT LOL i couldn't have worded it better Paper... XD

/Thread
Old 02-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #263
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
@Reincarnate: So, from this view on the word "atheist", an atheist doesn't believe that no gods exist, either then? So if you ask an atheist, "does god exists?" he will answer something like "I dunno"? If that really is how you and Mollocephalus view the word "atheist", I can take back all of what I said about the word itself.
That's correct. We don't know if God exists or not, because there's no evidence to suggest he exists, and no evidence that can outrule him based on how God is typically defined.

Again, it would be like if I held up a locked safe and asked you to tell me what object you believed was inside. You don't know either way -- but you're not going to believe that something's inside until you have evidence to suggest it, but at the same time, you aren't going to rule it out.

I'm sure you'd be pissed off, too, if I said that the contents of this safe prove that I can deprive you of your right to eat food, and if I catch you eating food, I can stone you to death. Even though neither one of us can open the safe, I claim to know what's inside it because I have faith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTrixX View Post
so you admit that you believe there is a possibility that God exists?
Sure, anything's possible when there's no evidence for it one way or the other.

But this is not to give you a false impression: I think God is possible just as much as I think Zeus is possible, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or peanut butter demons, or ghosts, or a universe where Nickelback is actually respected, etc.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #264
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

Quote:
though, Choofers, the way you put it... it's still very edgy and can be considered a belief anyway, lmao, but w/e
You think those answers could be considered beliefs? What dictionary are you reading lmao.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #265
RB_Spirit
D7 Elite Keymasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers View Post
Any educated atheist would say something like "I don't believe so, no" or "there's no evidence pointing towards the existence of one."
Couldn't a "Non-belief" be considered a belief simply because they oppose what ever it may be that the next person is believing? Or am i just illiterate? Example: I don't believe in lemons being sour, then i must believe in something else correct? or can i be on the fence? But wouldn't that still be considered a belief?
Old 02-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #266
JJTrixX
Green & Gold ReflexKage
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollocephalus View Post

If all evidence that you can currently get a grasp on suggests that gravity pulls things downwards, why do you still expect to be pulled upwards?
are you suggesting that ones "spirit" is susceptible to gravity? lol
Old 02-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #267
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB_Spirit View Post
Couldn't a "Non-belief" be considered a belief
No.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:20 PM   #268
PaperclipGames
Mrow~
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to PaperclipGames Send a message via Skype™ to PaperclipGames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
That's correct. We don't know if God exists or not, because there's no evidence to suggest he exists, and no evidence that can outrule him based on how God is typically defined.

Again, it would be like if I held up a locked safe and asked you to tell me what object you believed was inside. You don't know either way -- but you're not going to believe that something's inside until you have evidence to suggest it, but at the same time, you aren't going to rule it out.

I'm sure you'd be pissed off, too, if I said that the contents of this safe prove that I can deprive you of your right to eat food, and if I catch you eating food, I can stone you to death. Even though neither one of us can open the safe, I claim to know what's inside it because I have faith.

But this is not to give you a false impression: I think God is possible just as much as I think Zeus is possible, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or peanut butter demons, or ghosts, or a universe where Nickelback is actually respected, etc.
I can completely relate to this post, and I'm glad that that's cleared out now. Thanks.

@Choofers: "I don't believe X" can be interpreted as "I believe in not X" (linguistically speaking; logically speaking this is not always right), or be translated to an "I believe in Y" (where Y is something like "anything but X") and mean the same thing; basically, an actual disbelief is a version of a belief. But then that's interpretation and I'm fine with you thinking otherwise. It's one of those things about definitions that don't really matter, so, yeah. *shrug*

Skype: paperclipgames | Steam: alegiano | Last.fm: Alegiano | Ask.fm: Clippysan | Facebook: LINK
Best AAAs: Exciting Hyper Highspeed Star (69), Nous (69), Pure Ruby (68), Heavenly Spores (68), Ambient Angels (66), Within Life (66), Defection (66) Southern Cross (65)
Old 02-18-2013, 06:29 PM   #269
JJTrixX
Green & Gold ReflexKage
FFR Veteran

Quote:

Since you admit that you believe there is a possibility that God exists, you are also confirming that your form of atheism IS a belief. Although you claim to be an atheist,(like most self-proclaimed atheists do) you really aren't. You are agnostic.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #270
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Since you admit that you believe there is a possibility that God exists, you are also confirming that your form of atheism IS a belief. Although you claim to be an atheist,(like most self-proclaimed atheists do) you really aren't. You are agnostic.
Acknowledging that X is possible doesn't mean you hold a belief on X's existence. It's possible that the safe contains a water bottle, a bee nest, a cloth, a piece of paper, or nothing at all -- but it doesn't mean we believe one way or the other if something is present/what it is.

You're just bending over backwards at this point to connect the word "belief" to it in any way you can, lol.

EDIT: I am an agnostic atheist.

Last edited by Reincarnate; 02-18-2013 at 06:36 PM..
Old 02-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #271
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

wow jtrix you're so determined as fuck to prove someone wrong or to change there mind. what are you trying to validate
Old 02-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #272
RB_Spirit
D7 Elite Keymasher

Quote:
Acknowledging that X is possible doesn't mean you hold a belief on X's existence. It's possible that the safe contains a water bottle, a bee nest, a cloth, a piece of paper, or nothing at all -- but it doesn't mean we believe one way or the other if something is present/what it is.

You're just bending over backwards at this point to connect the word "belief" to it in any way you can, lol.
That's true, but when you can't prove or disprove something, deep down you can't say you 100% don't believe in it, simply because you're unsure of the truth. And evidence and lack of evidence sais so clearly.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #273
PaperclipGames
Mrow~
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB_Spirit View Post
That's true, but when you can't prove or disprove something, deep down you can't say you 100% don't believe in it, simply because you're unsure of the truth.
Logical flaw right there. Being unsure of the truth means that there is nothing you truly believe in; thus, basically, you believe in none of the things (where "believing in x" means "being convinced that x is true").

However, we have a list of possibilities what could be in the safe: a cloth, a paper, a bee's nest, nothing, and so on. We can label these options a_1, a_2, a_3...
Since you cannot look into the safe, you don't truly believe in any one specific a_i. However, we must acknowledge that at least one of the a_j must be correct: either one of the options is in it, or there simply is nothing in it. So, even without being able to look into the safe, you can believe something about the contents: you believe that "a_1, a_2, a_3, ... a_x is in it, or that nothing is in it" (by definition). This belief about the safe is based on the the common knowledge (belief?!?!) that a safe is capable of containing something in general. Again, the difference between disbelief and belief are (almost) non-existent.

Another example: I give you any random whole number. Do you believe it is even? Do you believe it is odd? You can't know until you look, so don't believe in any one specific (even/odd). However, you do believe that it either even or odd. So even without strict knowledge, it is possible to 100% believe.

Last edited by PaperclipGames; 02-18-2013 at 06:50 PM..
Old 02-18-2013, 06:42 PM   #274
JJTrixX
Green & Gold ReflexKage
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
wow jtrix you're so determined as fuck to prove someone wrong or to change there mind. what are you trying to validate
why atheists or should i now say "agnostic atheists" are lost.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #275
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

why
Old 02-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #276
JJTrixX
Green & Gold ReflexKage
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
why
so they can understand that they can have a better life and be happy and experience something more beautiful then any science in this world can prove.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #277
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
so they can understand that they can have a better life and be happy and experience something more beautiful then any science in this world can prove.
Do you think that something is true just because it makes you happy?
Old 02-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #278
PaperclipGames
Mrow~
FFR Veteran

Quote:
I'm going to have to disagree with this personally. I think science is beautiful, and so much can be done in science. New things get discovered all the time, things are being expanded on, there is so much to explore. Most (all?) religious books are finished. Nothing new. It gets kinda boring.

I can imagine that truly believing in a God that is omnipotent, all-knowing, and still loves you unconditionally can be a wonderful thing though. It would be nice if I believed something like that.

Also, btw, just a friendly reminder: without science you wouldn't be posting in this thread, nor would you probably even be alive, and even if you were, you'd likely be standing in a field of grass fucking a goat.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #279
JJTrixX
Green & Gold ReflexKage
FFR Veteran

Quote:

Also, btw, just a friendly reminder: without science you wouldn't be posting in this thread, nor would you probably even be alive, and even if you were, you'd likely be standing in a field of grass fucking a goat.
Science came from God. Would you not honor your mother or father, the very people whom without, you would not exist?
Old 02-18-2013, 07:07 PM   #280
JJTrixX
Green & Gold ReflexKage
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Do you think that something is true just because it makes you happy?
It depends on what you mean. Playing ffr makes me happy. Is ffr true?
Closed Thread