Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2006, 06:02 PM   #241
Tasselfoot
Retired BOSS
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Tasselfoot Send a message via MSN to Tasselfoot Send a message via Skype™ to Tasselfoot
Default Re: SotW: TGWP, Parts 1-4

part 5 actually is pretty boring, except for one hard section.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:10 PM   #242
Shashakiro
TWO THOUZAND COMBO

Send a message via AIM to Shashakiro

4 is my least favorite one, personally.

In order of preference so far: 2, 1, 3, 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogiebear
use ur bain. Itz there for a reason.
Shashakiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:12 PM   #243
Rebirth0
FFR Originalbro

I thought part 5 was really cool :<, I love how epic the ending is.
Rebirth0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:18 PM   #244
macgravel
Resident Poopbutt
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephirothkal View Post
Macgravel, I'm not sure if you did or not, but just to be sure did you get the Deus Ex music in part 1? 'Tis 1:20 min into the song I believe (I figured I'd ask as Deus Ex is a somwhat obscure game).
Yes, that was the second one I found when I started earlier.
macgravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:19 PM   #245
orbajo
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to orbajo

Well see, I have been a musician since I was in 4th grade, now I am 19 years old. I got into college on a music scholarship as well. And therefore, I don't really think any music is "boring", in the classical genre anyway. Piano playing is always beautiful, and this song is no different.
I listened to the rest of part 4 on the full song, and I stopped as to not spoil part 5, which I cannot wait to try. I will beat part 4 eventually, but not anytime soon, due to those frantic jump patterns.

But I must say Rebirth, the step transcriptions for this song were amazingly well done, I have played the first 3 parts over and over, I love how you made the steps pretty much identical to the piano playing, it feels like I am the one playing this beautiful music. And that's a treat. The cadenzas in part 3, of course all the tempo changes, were handled extraordinarily well.
I assume you are a musician too for being able to do this.

Last edited by orbajo; 11-30-2006 at 06:33 PM..
orbajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:38 PM   #246
powerdown
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to powerdown

No offence, but i would bet that Rebirth, at the most, maybe plays guitar or something. Btw, I hit a total wall on the timestamp for this, and its getting rather frustrating....

RULES FOR PROPER THREAD MAKING
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasselfoot View Post
1. before you make a thread... think to yourself... "will i sound like a complete idiot if i make this thread?" "will i get flamed out the ass if i make this thread?" "am i doing nothing but whining about something i'm getting for free and not supporting myself?" if you answer yes to any of those questions, don't post the thread.

2. if the thread has ANYTHING to do with tokens, skill tokens, sotw, or difficulty of songs... do not post it. under any circumstance. why? because you already violated rule #1, i'm sure.
powerdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:40 PM   #247
orbajo
FFR Player

And I suppose playing the guitar doesn't qualify as a musician to you?
It really doesn't matter to me what he plays, he clearly understands the basics and even advanced rhythm patterns, and the basic fundamentals of music for being able to transcribe this song into this game.

EDIT: Yay I finally "passed" part 4. I have to admit I got lucky this particular time throught that jump section, but thankfully it wasn't like that for the whole song, it was pretty easy from there on. I think Part 4 doesn't have the same magic the first 3 have for me, but still a fun part to play along to. Now I just have to get it to where I can actually beat the song confidently and not get lucky..-_-

Last edited by orbajo; 11-30-2006 at 06:53 PM..
Old 11-30-2006, 06:55 PM   #248
powerdown
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to powerdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbajo View Post
And I suppose playing the guitar doesn't qualify as a musician to you?
It really doesn't matter to me what he plays, he clearly understands the basics and even advanced rhythm patterns, and the basic fundamentals of music for being able to transcribe this song into this game.
Never said guitar doesnt count as a musician. Hes just not some virtuoso that can play anything. He obviously has a sense for rythmn, exemplifed in his Stepfiles and his SM skills

RULES FOR PROPER THREAD MAKING
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasselfoot View Post
1. before you make a thread... think to yourself... "will i sound like a complete idiot if i make this thread?" "will i get flamed out the ass if i make this thread?" "am i doing nothing but whining about something i'm getting for free and not supporting myself?" if you answer yes to any of those questions, don't post the thread.

2. if the thread has ANYTHING to do with tokens, skill tokens, sotw, or difficulty of songs... do not post it. under any circumstance. why? because you already violated rule #1, i'm sure.
powerdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:59 PM   #249
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Understanding of rhythms comes from doing this for years. Though Rebirth is more skilled in using tempo changes than I am, I've gotten pretty darn good at recognizing rhythms, as has mostly anyone who has been making notecharts for some time now. In case you're unaware, there's a downloadable program fairly close to this game free to download at www.stepmania.com. Making notecharts with this program has been done for a few years, and there's even a board for it on these forums.

In this sense, playing an instrument isn't really necessary to understand the composition of music. I'd say that most of the community here who makes notecharts for these games doesn't play an instrument. Over time, people have gotten more and more adept at translating music to these games. Rebirth himself was criticized for his notecharts being too shallow and having a lack of correspondence with the music until fairly recently. All of the parts of TGWP you see being put on this game is a very evident byproduct of the evolution that's been going on for a while.
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:01 PM   #250
Rebirth0
FFR Originalbro

I'm not really a musician anymore, if you even considered me one before now.

I played the Alto Sax in all of middle school, but quit before high school. I never practiced, like I was supposed to. Never. I never practiced, but I was one of the best players in the entire school. I don't know why I was so good. When I started high school, I learned that all of the music we'd be playing would be memorized, and we'll be marching a lot of the time. (marching band) I quit right after I learned that because: I would never be able to march, I think I'd mess up so badly during performances, and I knew I'd have to practice. I probably shouldn't have quit, but I did.

That was two years ago. I haven't touched a musical instrument since then.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:03 PM   #251
orbajo
FFR Player

Well said. I'm not saying he's av virtuoso or anything either, maybe I am easily impressed then? Up till this particular song series, all of ther FFR songs are either insanely filled with arrows that fit into rhythm yes, but don't really show the actual melody of the song, or not filled enough to where the melody is the ONLY thing that's played.
This series fits the balance for me, it's got the parts where it's crazy, where it's laid back, but yet it never forgets whats being played, since the arrows are all pretty much directly copied to the piano playing. That's what I love about it.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:06 PM   #252
Shashakiro
TWO THOUZAND COMBO

Send a message via AIM to Shashakiro

Only for piano/classical music can you really step every sound without your stepfile sucking horridly...and unfortunately, a lot of the files in the Classical genre suck horridly anyway (the old Arch and Hyro ones mostly).

But yeah, Rebirth did a great job with this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogiebear
use ur bain. Itz there for a reason.
Shashakiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:49 PM   #253
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

When I played part 3 there were magical invisible arrows all throughout the song.

It was great.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:53 PM   #254
Tasselfoot
Retired BOSS

Send a message via AIM to Tasselfoot Send a message via MSN to Tasselfoot Send a message via Skype™ to Tasselfoot

Reach: clear your cache.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:08 PM   #255
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

Number 4 seems ok. A bit heavy on jumps for my taste, but I can how they all fit. I'm not entirely happy about the rhythm that the artist did for Bubble Bobble, but whatever. At least he got it closer to right by the end of it.

ps I'm sure this has been answered already, but what is the song immediately following the Bubble Bobble theme? It sounds really familiar but I can't place it.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:11 PM   #256
Rebirth0
FFR Originalbro

It's a song from Zombie Nation.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:24 PM   #257
windsurfer-sp
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to windsurfer-sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashakiro View Post
Only for piano/classical music can you really step every sound without your stepfile sucking horridly...and unfortunately, a lot of the files in the Classical genre suck horridly anyway (the old Arch and Hyro ones mostly).

But yeah, Rebirth did a great job with this one.
Piano music is great music to play FFR to cause you have a snese of melody and rythm and you feel like your playing it, if stepped properly.

Hows the full song list going on? Has Metal Gear Solid been in them yet?
Old 11-30-2006, 08:29 PM   #258
Rebirth0
FFR Originalbro

The full song list isn't finished yet, and I don't know if it will be finished anytime soon. I have it 90% done though, and I'll post that after part 5 is put up.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:54 PM   #259
Innuendo18
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Innuendo18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebirth0 View Post
The full song list isn't finished yet, and I don't know if it will be finished anytime soon. I have it 90% done though, and I'll post that after part 5 is put up.
I'm really happy you stepped this, 5 new quality simfiles to the FFR song list at the same time.

Most people don't think about the fact that you take your own time for free to make these and only to make FFR an even better game than it already is. I personally thank you, it's people like you and all of the other simfile artists, admins, etc, that donate their time to make FFR even better.

Inn.

Also, Part 4 is, so far, the one I enjoyed the most.

Innuendo
Old 11-30-2006, 10:28 PM   #260
MonkeyFoo
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

FYI Rebirth: It's not a song from Zombie Nation, it's theme 21 from the C64 game Lazy Jones. Zombie Nation used the theme in Kernkraft 400, then after it hit #2 in the UK dance charts, they payed the original artist, David Whittaker, a royalty.

Also, great stepfiles. Not a fan of jumps, so I can't enjoy number 4 too much, but whatever the rest are spectacular. Also, I can't see much reason not to have the split tracks in Arcade and a marathon version in Secret. I want a marathon version, but I think that it's important to also keep this great work accessible to everyone, and it's also good that having split versions would allow you to practice certain sections that you have more trouble on without playing through 12 minutes of song just to practice. There's my cents, do what you will with them.