Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the death penalty?
Yes 146 59.35%
No 100 40.65%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2008, 01:59 PM   #241
soxowner32
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to soxowner32 Send a message via MSN to soxowner32 Send a message via Skype™ to soxowner32
Default Re: The Death Penalty

I really don't support it or not. I just think it depends on what the person did that is supposed to receive the death penalty. Like if someone killed a person, I think they should just get what they did. However, if someone raped a person, they could either get a life sentence, receive the death penalty or just be put in a padded room with a straight jacket on because they are already crazy for thinking they could get away with it.
soxowner32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:21 PM   #242
mantra0013
FFR Player

My self i agree with the death penalty. I could put up a good arguement for both sides though and i agree with both sides. I just think someone should pay for their deeds.
For: An eye for an eye right? you murder someone you get murdered and who wants that. This punishment may also deter crimes before they happen. A lot of people think rotting in a cell and having to think about the horrible things you've done is enough punishment. Some dont have that ability though. Their brain just isnt on the same scale as ours, they feel what they've done is justified through some higher power and they can't fathom that they've done something wrong. Throw in the death penalty and they may come to some realization about the severity of their situation. let's face it the systems slow and it takes 15 years for someone to even be executed so they have the time to think about a very unpleasant death thats bound to happen through no control of their own.

Against: Murder is murder. Someone killed someone and is being judged for it and put in prison. Why then does it make it right for society to then murder him ? We've all heard the term two wrongs don't make a right so why in this situation is it right for me to break that moral with no hesitation.
i could also get into the whole religious aspect buuuuut no.
mantra0013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:19 PM   #243
ballaw hare
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantra0013 View Post
An eye for an eye right?
And if Gandhi, Martin Luther king, or any other significant figure would have thought like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantra0013 View Post
Against: Murder is murder.
What about self defense? If someone assassinated Hitler, were they wrong?
ballaw hare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:14 PM   #244
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

Quote:
And if Gandhi, Martin Luther king, or any other significant figure would have thought like that?
So...do we think any avowedly pacifist political figures would have thought like that? No, of course not. But you say that like only pacifist political leaders have ever achieved their goals. Pretty sure someone like Ché might agree with the sentiment.
Quote:
What about self defense? If someone assassinated Hitler, were they wrong?
If you are of the position that murder is murder, and it doesn't matter whether you personally think the victim deserved it, then yes, they were wrong. Just because someone was extra bad doesn't magically make them clear targets for murder if you are opposed to murder as a concept.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:21 PM   #245
YoshiSlayer
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to YoshiSlayer

TLDR the whole thread but i read most of it and here is my input on all of this.

I, personally, believe that the death penalty should be mandatory in all states. If someone kills someone then they, obviously, dont deserve to carry out thier life (whether it be in prison or running from authorities). There is no reason to take someone's life away from any person...unless they themselves have taken anothers life. I know some people have already stated that the death penalty or capital punishment would be an easy way out for them...and it would, but once they murdered someone i believe that they have just given up all their basic rights. So if the death penalty isnt enforced then i say we just throw them in a hole and let them suffer. That way we wont have to pay for the utlities they use in prison. That may be immoral but in all honesty...what good are they to society if they go around killing people? They arent in anyway.
Also people may say that after spending time in prison it will change them...i highly doubt it and wouldnt want to risk letting them back into society.

For people who rape others and people who purposely cause physical harm...they also serve no purpose in society and i believe that they should get the same punishment as what was stated above.

As for the lesser crimes such as: theft, vandlisim, drugs, anything along those lines, i believe that the criminals who take part in these actions should be in prison. they didnt do much harm to those around them thus they shouldnt have capital punishment put on them. But they should have more harsh punishments than what they already have because what we have in place now isnt deterring them from commiting the crimes.

I have more to say but ill just leave it at that for now and see what others think
YoshiSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:38 PM   #246
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

I see that this is what you think, but you provide no compelling evidence that what you think is correct.

Quote:
That may be immoral but
Is a statement that gets you into some trouble. After all, it may be immoral to murder, rape, steal, but if it's okay to do one immoral thing, why isn't it okay to do the other ones?
Old 09-30-2008, 01:30 AM   #247
iceefudgesickle
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I totally and completely agree with the death penalty. Here's the thing:

If you're in prison for something you did indeed do, people shouldn't take a risk and they should just kill you so you won't escape.

In the event that you've been falsely accused, I would rather be killed than be forced to stay in prison for my whole life. I would gladly be given a lethal injection to die so I don't have to live the rest of my life being locked up and behind bars.
iceefudgesickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:32 AM   #248
FreezinIce
FFR Player

To take another human beings life is not something to be taken lightly. Reasons for doing so like "an eye for an eye" or "karma" just dont do the actual act any justice. Murder is a horrible and unspeakable crime, so what kind of "justice" calls for a equally brutal blow to be delt to another life? Are we any better than those who were accused? Especially since we judge them based on an imperfect justice system. Thats why i belive that those accused of murder should be made to live the rest of their days in prison. Made to live every day in a prison for those whom lives they cut short. Death might be the final solution to this problem, but for those who have been wrongfully accused, there is no reprieve. Some might argue about the cost of incarcerating prisioners for life, but thats another issue...right?

To let the world be.

========

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellon_collie View Post
AHHHHHHHHH SKEET SKEET SKEET SKEET
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundbox View Post
AHHHHHHHHH SKEET SKEET SKEET SKEET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean
Lynch all liars is good meta. Period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
My guess at this point is that there aren't actually any wolves, and all the humans are just going to kill each other until only a few are left. Then the remaining survivors will realize they are the real monsters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG Ike View Post
SCUM THEATER AA SCUM CHARU WOLF ALIEN ROUNDBOX IS TOWN AND FRAMED
FreezinIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:55 AM   #249
merlinseras
FFR Player

The Death penalty follows Hammurabi's code of conduct. This is one of the oldest still followed traditions of justice in the world. A recent case handed down the verdict that Capital punishment, ie the death penalty, can only be used for capital offenses. This case involved a child rape victim and the adult that was spared the death they f*ing deserve for ... f*ing a child, completely destroying the poor thing, and they get off easy for it. This is a serious flaw if you ask me, and I believe the courts need to re-assess their ideas of capital offenses.

Yes, innocent people die, but that is part of life. The judge was given the case and unfortunately a man/woman was able to convince them that the wrong person is guilty. Don't give flaw to the system when it is the corruption of lawyers and politicians that influence the judges. The system works to keep all levels off the streets. Be happy serial rapists can be put away, but also realize the victims dont' get the closure of keeping every electrical device off to give more juice to the chair while their offender fries because they can't.

I fully support the death penalty. No sympathy, and no worries. I am texan, and I know I've held my head high knowing one man will never be able to commit a crime against society again.
merlinseras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:54 AM   #250
welsh_girl
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to welsh_girl Send a message via MSN to welsh_girl

100% agree with the Death penatly.

If they're proven 100% of killing someone/people, why lock them up for life, which can only be for 25 years. Letting them free means they've now gotten away with murder(s).

I think if it's in place too, people will maybe even think twice about killing, if they like their life so much. It's easier then ever now to catch people with all this DNA stuff and what not. Knife and gun crime may even go down, I don't think anyone is scared of jail but maybe losing their own life.
welsh_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:12 PM   #251
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Quote:
If they're proven 100% of killing someone/people, why lock them up for life, which can only be for 25 years. Letting them free means they've now gotten away with murder(s).
The number of people who have been proven innocent of the crimes they were convicted of after being sentenced to or in many cases already recieving the death penalty lends a lie to the idea that you can -ever- be 100% proven to have done it.

Quote:
Yes, innocent people die, but that is part of life.
The fact that innocent people die is sufficient in my mind to be opposed to the death penalty. Are you willing to die while innocent simply because "that's part of life" or would you like to actually be alive to try and exonerate yourself?

Quote:
In the event that you've been falsely accused, I would rather be killed than be forced to stay in prison for my whole life. I would gladly be given a lethal injection to die so I don't have to live the rest of my life being locked up and behind bars.
Many people sentenced to life in prison for offences that would get the death penalty in other parts of the world are eventually proven to be not guilty and released. I'd rather spend 10 years in prison and then get out, than spend 6 months in prison, be killed, and then be proven innocent after 10 years.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:26 PM   #252
STD_Sappy
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to STD_Sappy Send a message via MSN to STD_Sappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh_girl View Post
100% agree with the Death penatly.

I think if it's in place too, people will maybe even think twice about killing, if they like their life so much. It's easier then ever now to catch people with all this DNA stuff and what not. Knife and gun crime may even go down, I don't think anyone is scared of jail but maybe losing their own life.
A consecutive life term is 45 years in prison. I agree with Devonin, if I was innocent for a murder I've committed, I'd wait 2 life times until I was proven innocent. The Death Penalty should be given to the harshest of murders, and the most sufficient amount of evidence, Scott Peterson for example. But, that's just my opinion, I wouldn't want to be in that kind of predicament anyways, lol.

Sappy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfreak04 View Post
He's Sappy.... He deserves his own thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessXoXLight View Post
Amen.
Because he's so well known. ;]
Lol, I love these people. <3
STD_Sappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:06 PM   #253
welsh_girl
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to welsh_girl Send a message via MSN to welsh_girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by STD_Sappy View Post
A consecutive life term is 45 years in prison.
As far as I know in the UK, depending on the judge, it can be as little as 15 years.

Not really justice for someone who commited a series of murders.
If their DNA, hair etc. even addmited to it as well was all over the dead folks bodies, would you still not think they also deserve capitol punishment ?
welsh_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:26 PM   #254
gnr61
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to gnr61

that's not exactly a fair argument lol.
why wouldn't you support increasing the minimum length for a life sentence rather than killing someone -_-

claiming the possibility of escape is another unfair argument. perhaps you should be in favor of having a system in which a prison can actually contain its prisoners rather than killing them because of its own inadequacy. not to mention the fact that there is NO evidence whatsoever that maximum security criminals escape from jail in any significant percentage.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:00 PM   #255
Coolgamer
Old-School Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Coolgamer Send a message via MSN to Coolgamer Send a message via Skype™ to Coolgamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceefudgesickle View Post

Give me one reason why what you think matters to anyone innocent currently on death row, never to see their family or loved ones again. I think you'd change your tune if you were about to be killed. This is the one argument that makes me sick every time I read it. There's no excuse for it. You are saying you would willingly let an innocent person die. You are saying that you would rather give up and let the real criminal get away and let you die in their place. My anger at the very concept that you actually think these people should be HAPPY to DIE is much too detailed to explain on this forum without getting in trouble for using selected words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthlight View Post
St1cky only proves that he has no life and that his parents are alcoholics. They probably abused him with rubber duckies when he was a baby. Why else would you exploit scores on FFR?
Coolgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-6-2008, 10:45 AM   #256
rzr
TWG Veteran

Send a message via AIM to rzr Send a message via MSN to rzr Send a message via Yahoo to rzr Send a message via Skype™ to rzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolgamer View Post
Give me one reason why what you think matters to anyone innocent currently on death row, never to see their family or loved ones again.
Just a shot in the dark here, but maybe because it's a debate and everyone's opinion matters?
Quote:
I think you'd change your tune if you were about to be killed. This is the one argument that makes me sick every time I read it.
Then don't post in it.
Quote:
There's no excuse for it. You are saying you would willingly let an innocent person die. You are saying that you would rather give up and let the real criminal get away and let you die in their place. My anger at the very concept that you actually think these people should be HAPPY to DIE is much too detailed to explain on this forum without getting in trouble for using selected words.
That's all fine and dandy, but have you analyzed the fact that we don't know it's the wrong person and we're letting the criminal go? If we did, Einstein, we wouldn't have an innocent person walking the green mile.

My thoughts on the recent post(s):

I actually agree. I mean, if it came down to spending your life in prison or a pin prick to take it all away, a lot of people would take the needle. I went to jail last week and I'll say in complete honesty that I'd rather die than do that for my whole life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshark View Post
Everyone sucks at this game. The second you think you're good is the second you stop trying to get better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aperson View Post
i had a mri the other day it was the best song i heard in years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite-
More of a joke than the time I deleted all the credits on the site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
yeah my goldfish think im a riot they do this thing where they turn upside down and float to the top of the tank

i guess their alcohol tolerance isnt as high as mine
rzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-9-2008, 09:37 AM   #257
Lipidman
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzr View Post
That's all fine and dandy, but have you analyzed the fact that we don't know it's the wrong person and we're letting the criminal go? If we did, Einstein, we wouldn't have an innocent person walking the green mile.
You have completely missed the point of his entire post. I suggest you read it again.
Old 10-9-2008, 10:37 AM   #258
rzr
TWG Veteran

Send a message via AIM to rzr Send a message via MSN to rzr Send a message via Yahoo to rzr Send a message via Skype™ to rzr

Your post pretty much contributed nothing to the thread. No, wait, it did contribute something. It put us on the front page, again.

Also, I've been meaning to ask, Devonin, why did you make the roll private?

Quote:
Everyone sucks at this game. The second you think you're good is the second you stop trying to get better.
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
yeah my goldfish think im a riot they do this thing where they turn upside down and float to the top of the tank

Old 10-9-2008, 11:28 AM   #259
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

I have no idea what you're talking about rzr
Old 10-9-2008, 11:41 AM   #260
rzr
TWG Veteran

I just noticed it. Sorry, I wasn't able to click it before, so I thought it had been made private.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote: