Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Stepmania > Simulator Files
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 09:52 PM   #201
kommisar[os]
Banned

Send a message via AIM to kommisar[os] Send a message via MSN to kommisar[os]
Default Re: FFR Community Pack II (new thread)

why would someone step run the place red again

oh and the offset is early by like .02

Last edited by kommisar[os]; 03-22-2009 at 09:55 PM..
Old 03-22-2009, 10:01 PM   #202
Patashu
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile Author

Location: we traced the call...it's coming from inside the house
Send a message via AIM to Patashu Send a message via MSN to Patashu Send a message via Yahoo to Patashu

idk was the kbmp1.5 version good?

it is a :funky as hell: song and aperson didn't do it justice so I can see the rationale
Best non-AAAs: ERx8 v2 (14-1-0-4), Hajnal (3-0-0-0), RunnyMorning (8-0-0-4), Xeno-Flow (1-0-0-3), Blue Rose (35-2-0-20), Ketsarku (14-0-0-0), Silence (1-0-0-0), Lolo (14-1-0-1)
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/xiaoven/solorulzsig.png
Old 03-22-2009, 10:04 PM   #203
moches
FFR Player

submitting more later

btw the trigger of innocence is really annoying because I'm trying to be consistent and **** but the song's so layered it's hard to hear anything. I'll keep trying with it though.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:23 PM   #204
gnr61
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to gnr61

(NTM) The Sound of Truth: much better than your first submission, but still feels drastically unbalanced and understepped for the most part (for a metal song this is pretty much all easily quadded by spread players except for one quite challenging 48th stream). this would benefit a -lot- from better application of PR. if you ask anyone who plays my files you'll know i'm not a huge stickler about pitch relevance but these heavily guitar-based files feel very bad when there is some attempt at it and it has a bunch of errors

(Bynary Fission) 1000 BPM: theres no file in your email..again

(NTM) The Fire Still Burns: ok this kind of thing needs and needs and needs and needs pr. there are parts where its ok but a lot of it is just clearly not right and for a file that is only a guitar solo it feels very awkward. freeze usage in general is weak here (mainly quite a few missing in spots where they are needed for emphasis). a lot of things seem like they should be minijacks (difficulty is not an excuse as the file is loaded with the equivalent of 300 bpm 16th streams). that one part with the 16ths mixed in that leads into a trill is the coolest thing ever but it doesn't redeem the file sry :>

(Scylaax) Dazzling Destiny: ok this is the kind of song where stepping everything reeeally detracts from the fun value. the freezes here are often quite a hinderance and sometimes the file is hard to follow. pr can be improved in the beginning. i really will get back to you about freeze usage (its not about technical justification for their placement but their abundance and strategic usage in keeping them from making a file unfun) i just keep forgetting -.-
ps mines better :3

(Scylaax) Vanessa: do i hear some anisakis :>
file is good and flows MaStErFuLlY. problem for me is that a lot of the song is really kind of broken-sounding and swingy and straight 12th streams for those sections are way too "flow-y" if you know what i mean. adding jacks to add tension in those broken parts and even shifting things down by 192nds to reflect the swing would help this file imo. accepting for now, we can discuss the rest further if u want

(Eastsideman09) Scream Aim and Fire: i'm sorry i had to quit out after the 100th copy+paste to a fairly boring song : (

(Dimentio) Run the Place Red: its really good. my only complaint is some unusual jump choices (a ton of 34 jumps and some of them to low sounds, repeating jumps relatively close to each other going to different sounds etc) but the flow is great the mines are great and that green stream is da best thing ever, imo u did the song justice

'night guys -.-
Old 03-22-2009, 11:33 PM   #205
Patashu
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Patashu Send a message via MSN to Patashu Send a message via Yahoo to Patashu

lol go dimentio

and a vanessa? must be ballin good
Best non-AAAs: ERx8 v2 (14-1-0-4), Hajnal (3-0-0-0), RunnyMorning (8-0-0-4), Xeno-Flow (1-0-0-3), Blue Rose (35-2-0-20), Ketsarku (14-0-0-0), Silence (1-0-0-0), Lolo (14-1-0-1)
Old 03-22-2009, 11:39 PM   #206
N.T.M.
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to N.T.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnr61 View Post
(NTM) The Sound of Truth: much better than your first submission, but still feels drastically unbalanced and understepped for the most part (for a metal song this is pretty much all easily quadded by spread players except for one quite challenging 48th stream). this would benefit a -lot- from better application of PR. if you ask anyone who plays my files you'll know i'm not a huge stickler about pitch relevance but these heavily guitar-based files feel very bad when there is some attempt at it and it has a bunch of errors
Layering: I could layer more by adding some jumps and 16th trills for drum rolls during solo segments, but I thought that'd kinda kill flow since there'd be so much **** going on you can't tell what you're playing.

PR: Really confused here. Seems fine. Some exaggerated placement intended to display relative pitch relevance, but it follows the guidelines fine IMO.

I mean you said a 10 foot minimum and this is 13. And yet you're criticizing its difficulty?

Quote:

(Scylaax) Dazzling Destiny: ok this is the kind of song where stepping everything reeeally detracts from the fun value.
But that's why my file's "understepped", and yet you criticized me there too.

*edit* dude I gotta say: lotsa your criticism (not specifically referring to me) seems bias. Assuming you follow the fundamentals to fair level you should be permitted to superimpose your own style. Some jacks can be converted into trills, etc. Compromising some technical aspects to improve the fun factor isn't a bad idea. And as long as a file meets the criteria for difficulty, it should never be rejected because it's too easy. Personal preferences are irrelevant.
“Beware the irrational, however seductive. Shun the 'transcendent' and all who invite you to subordinate or annihilate yourself. Distrust compassion; prefer dignity for yourself and others. Don't be afraid to be thought arrogant or selfish... Suspect your own motives, and all excuses. Do not live for others any more than you would expect others to live for you.”

Christopher Hitchens

Last edited by N.T.M.; 03-22-2009 at 11:50 PM..
Old 03-23-2009, 05:30 AM   #207
kommisar[os]
Banned

i thought run the place red was a hard dump but probably cuz i get a crap score on it =<

vannesser is ok i guess. been stepped like a million times tho

ntm i wouldn't call puppet's judging bias since he quite well knows what he's doing. your files do have potential but are often lacking

Last edited by kommisar[os]; 03-23-2009 at 05:34 AM..
Old 03-23-2009, 05:49 AM   #208
gnr61
FFR Simfile Author

i aaa'd it sightread idk what ur talkin about
ive never played another file for vanessa rofl, maybe thats the only reason i liked it

ps ntm, you're thinking of file difficulty in far too linear a fashion; the difficulty of a file is supposed to be reflective of the -song- itself. the songs you step are always fairly intense metal songs and yet they are all mostly easy to quad--ie the arrows themselves feel watered-down and wimpy compared to the music. you can't equivocally say by any means that saying one file is too easy and one file is overstepped makes me a biased judge rofl

and just to help you out, i'm going to go through your file and point out a bunch of PR problems after school v.v
Old 03-23-2009, 06:57 AM   #209
moches
FFR Player

Okay this is really weird but I've suddenly lost all my stepping ability. Can't get things to be cOnSiStEnT, can't make things flow, can't do anything.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-23-2009, 06:58 AM   #210
Patashu
FFR Simfile Author

QUICK STEPMANIA POLL GUYS
what do you go to? high school, university, just a job? I need 2 kno

edit: might be the songs ur stepping moches. or try doing the opposite stepping style of what you'd normally do 8)

Last edited by Patashu; 03-23-2009 at 07:10 AM..
Old 03-23-2009, 07:21 AM   #211
eastsideman09
poker face
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
(Eastsideman09) Scream Aim and Fire: i'm sorry i had to quit out after the 100th copy+paste to a fairly boring song : (
Would cutting the song help at all, or was the song just too boring for even that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arntonach View Post
wow ur pretty
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGiggles View Post
caring should be a get-outable offense
Old 03-23-2009, 07:31 AM   #212
Patashu
FFR Simfile Author

look to see if it's possible to build up or alter your layering strategy every time it repeats

if not just chuck it out i guess?
Old 03-23-2009, 11:38 AM   #213
Dimentio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patashu View Post
QUICK STEPMANIA POLL GUYS
what do you go to? high school, university, just a job? I need 2 kno

i'm in college and have a job during the weekend if that helps. Oh i'm glad to know you like running the place red and the game of love. Took me a while to sync those ;_;
Old 03-23-2009, 12:20 PM   #214
eastsideman09
poker face
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patashu View Post
look to see if it's possible to build up or alter your layering strategy every time it repeats

if not just chuck it out i guess?
The part after the guitar solo came in with some more bass, which I layered in, but it's like the third repeat so yall probably quit out before that lol.

Meh, I might work on it, but probably not... I may start a new, shorter, less repetetive song.

PS: Senior in high school
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arntonach View Post
wow ur pretty
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGiggles View Post
caring should be a get-outable offense

Last edited by eastsideman09; 03-23-2009 at 12:23 PM..
Old 03-23-2009, 01:18 PM   #215
gnr61
FFR Simfile Author

if you think you can make it more interesting/less boring by moving stuff around feel free, its not like its a hopeless file. tbh though i think you could do better with a different song, you clearly have the mechanics down

ps senior in hs
ps dimentio

edit: just read this all the way -.-
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.T.M. View Post
Compromising some technical aspects to improve the fun factor isn't a bad idea. And as long as a file meets the criteria for difficulty, it should never be rejected because it's too easy. Personal preferences are irrelevant.
this is a pretty ridiculous and self-defeating criticism lol. you are asking me not to judge on technical accuracy alone (which i never do) and simultaneously demanding that i don't factor in my own personal preferences when it comes to the fun factor of a simfile. you aren't dumb, you have to understand that simfiles are entirely subjective in their qualification and that fun factor can't be objectively measured and balanced against technicality in the judging process. personal preference by necessity has to play a role. as someone who has played this game for more than 2 years and has made dozens of files for all mediums and audiences i feel confident in my ability to rate how good i think a file is and that is, or rather, -has- to be enough to meet the criteria of a good judge.

you're clearly in a developing stage as a sim-maker and i'm all for standing by your files. but you have to be able to acknowledge that there is LOTS of room for improvement (for all of us to be sure, but i mean to be good enough to get into this pack specifically).

the best words of advice i can give you are these:
-START PLAYING SPREAD. i cannot stress this enough. i don't know what your current spread experience is, but in order to fully grasp pattern usage and make files that truly flow you -have- to be able to at least competently play the style of your target medium. and, because the fundamentals of an important technical aspect of stepping are designed entirely for spread play, this leads me to my next point
-pay close attention to PiTcH ReLeVaNcY. you step metal songs. that's great. you don't want them to be super hard. thats ok too. now one of the only things that separate your files from the hordes of CoB and Dragonforce index-style dumps of 2004 is PR. you know the basics of this i am sure, but your charts are riddled with little missteps that completely throw off the file. practice makes perfect in this area of course (and i know there is no such thing as perfect PR, but you can get to a point where it feels as accurate as it can), but the only way to tell if it feels right is obviously to play spread.
also see the odi wiki page relating to PR, i am sure it's quite informative for advanced techniques to use when things just don't fit into 4 notes

Last edited by gnr61; 03-23-2009 at 01:39 PM..
Old 03-23-2009, 01:42 PM   #216
kommisar[os]
Banned

patasher i go to college and i play stepman part time as a job but not really

btw are we using dcp ratings for da files?

Last edited by kommisar[os]; 03-23-2009 at 01:50 PM..
Old 03-23-2009, 02:05 PM   #217
ferrari93
FFR Player

go judge mind mappin :>
Old 03-23-2009, 02:07 PM   #218
kommisar[os]
Banned

i did. i posted about it read posts foo
Old 03-23-2009, 02:17 PM   #219
ferrari93
FFR Player

no v2 :>
Old 03-23-2009, 02:18 PM   #220
kommisar[os]
Banned

o. will do
Closed Thread