Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Stepmania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2011, 08:17 AM   #201
Jousway
FFR Player

Default Re: A new beginning for our SM community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikari View Post
Good idea, BA, I just updated OP with new volunteers and the packs they are playing.
well you got enough people now right, so when is this stuff actually going to happen?

Jousway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:22 AM   #202
Shikari
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Shikari Send a message via Skype™ to Shikari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jousway View Post
well you got enough people now right, so when is this stuff actually going to happen?
Since people have things to do, like work and school, I can assume within a week we'll have this system ready, then we will work on achievements, ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger View Post
Shikari for resident profile artist
Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:14 AM   #203
Ziergdsx18
ℜ1 ステップチャート 著者
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Ziergdsx18 Send a message via MSN to Ziergdsx18 Send a message via Skype™ to Ziergdsx18

I'll start on my shit as soon as possible. :')

| irc.rizon.net | #touhouradio - Come listen! |
Ziergdsx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:48 AM   #204
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

You have my blessing. Add me to the stepfile classes and what not

Last edited by who_cares973; 04-30-2011 at 10:07 AM..
who_cares973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:50 AM   #205
Shikari
FFR Player

I thought you wouldn't say nothing about this, Carlos. <3

Adding right away.

Quote:
Old 04-30-2011, 11:12 AM   #206
icontrolyourworld
Enjoy life!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I can share the ways of jumpstream
icontrolyourworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:43 AM   #207
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

Quote:
I thought you wouldn't say nothing about this, Carlos. <3

Adding right away.
I was holding out to see if this was actually going to go anywhere. Didn't want to jump in early just to have theidea flop
Old 04-30-2011, 11:48 AM   #208
NeoMasterPie
Forum User

what's wrong with the notes per second difficulty system? it's probably the most objective one yet. i think it caters fine to newbies and experts. like james said, just my $0.02 xd

i'd be willing to help with this in any way possible

NeoMasterPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:54 AM   #209
who_cares973
FFR Player

also agree that the nps difficulty system is the best one yet
Old 04-30-2011, 12:03 PM   #210
Gellenduo
FFR Player

I think that the community is a good idea, although I do think that these "simfile making classes" are biased. While I do agree that x-mods are basic stuff that can't be very biased, techniques and stepping theories are all about style in my opinion.
If you think about it, color theory, for example, has barely been used outside of odi/bx/ffr/kbo. Places like Otaku's Dream began using it a little after people like myself and Ophi had adjusted our stepping styles after the way people stepped from ffr/kbo etc.
What I'm trying to say is that you should just let people learn basic stuff like syncing and x-mods and let them find their own style.
If you don't think that this is biased I'd really like to hear you think is biased.
Gellenduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:10 PM   #211
Shikari
FFR Player

Gellenduo, these "classes" are more like hints for new stepartists. You adjusted your stepping styles based on how the FFR files were step, so people can adjust their too, or even find a new style. These classes, back in the days, weren't meant to be like "Hey, you do this, and this, and your file will get accepted". No. They supposed to be like an information database for those who wanted to get started on stepmaking, got it? That's the idea I have, and why i want to bring this project back.

Quote:
Old 04-30-2011, 12:14 PM   #212
who_cares973
FFR Player

i never have and dont ever plan on superimposing my stepping style onto others. its the last thing i want to do. what i would do aside from teaching people how to use ddream is teaching them the basics of stepping like how sections can be stepped a multitude of ways and what not.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:34 PM   #213
Gellenduo
FFR Player

Quote:
Gellenduo, these "classes" are more like hints for new stepartists. You adjusted your stepping styles based on how the FFR files were step, so people can adjust their too, or even find a new style. These classes, back in the days, weren't meant to be like "Hey, you do this, and this, and your file will get accepted". No. They supposed to be like an information database for those who wanted to get started on stepmaking, got it? That's the idea I have, and why i want to bring this project back.
What people need to know to get started is pretty much how to sync. Whatever you teach about techniques, it may be about color theory, dual holds, technicality, miniholds, jack theory or whatever, is what the people who has grown accustomed to these techniques find fun. As I said, the people from Otaku's Dream didn't and a lot still don't use (nor enjoy from what I've heard from a few) any of those techniques, because they never "grew up" with them the same way as ffr/odi etc did.
I don't have anything against people adjusting their styles to someone else's if they want to, but I'm against the idea of having classes about techniques, based on one single community's perspective and ideologies, that makes the people who has taken them look like they can make better files than everyone who else.
I'm sorry if I sound offensive, it's not my intention, but it's almost like saying that everyone can choose whatever political ideology they want, but they're recommended to check out conservatism, because that's what the king thinks.
If you haven't read nick's QED thread yet then I suggest you to do it because he takes up a lot more points about what I just said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by who_cares973 View Post
i never have and dont ever plan on superimposing my stepping style onto others. its the last thing i want to do. what i would do aside from teaching people how to use ddream is teaching them the basics of stepping like how sections can be stepped a multitude of ways and what not.
I don't think you're going to superimpose your style onto someone else, although, as I mentioned in the reply aimed at Shikari, everything you've learned about techniques is what you've learned and grown accustomed to from ffr and other communities with the same people. So I think that you'll automatically unconsciously teach "ffr and co.'s perspective" on what makes simfiles more fun.

EDIT: Actually I take back what I said about the basics, you obviously might want to know more about rhythm and maybe other stuff as well. Hopefully you get my point about techniques though.

Last edited by Gellenduo; 04-30-2011 at 03:40 PM..
Gellenduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:19 PM   #214
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

Wow, alotta replies and whatnot.

Just off the first post, I fully agree that this is what we need. Sadly, Time and not having my own computer keeps me from helping out as much as I would like, but if you have something you think I can do, I'll be glad to lend a hand.

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

MixMasterLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:24 PM   #215
Bluearrowll
⊙▃⊙
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Bluearrowll Send a message via MSN to Bluearrowll

Since I don't see it has been posted yet;

A great time saving idea for everyone for the difficulty changing:

Instead of having everyone re download the entire packs and such, create folders that mimic existing packs.

example:

Songs > Hard Songs Megapack 1 > St. Scarhand (Zaghurim) > St. Scarhand.sm

but it'd be in the format of:

Songs > Pack > Song > .sm file only.

That way, download size is significantly reduced, and all the downloadee has to do is "Download file, extract in Stepmania folder, and hit 'yes to all' replacements."

Once that is done, reload the stepmania engine, and bam difficulties that have been edited appear to every file!
5th in Phynx's Unofficial FFR Tournament
9th in D3 of the 2008-2009 4th Official FFR Tournament
10th in D5 of the 2010 5th Official FFR Tournament
10th in D6 of the 2011-2012 6th Official FFR Tournament

FMO AAA Count: 71
FGO AAA Count: 10

Bluearrowll = The Canadian player who can not detect awkward patterns. If it's awkward for most people, it's normal for Terry. If the file is difficult but super straight forward, he has issues. If he's AAAing a FGO but then heard that his favorite Hockey team was losing by a point, Hockey > FFR
PS: Cool AAA's Terry
- I Love You

An Alarm Clock's Haiku
beep beep beep beep beep
beep beep beep beep beep beep beep
beep beep beep beep beep
- ieatyourlvllol
Bluearrowll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:29 PM   #216
wargasm1
Cowbelling FFR
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to wargasm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluearrowll View Post
Since I don't see it has been posted yet;

A great time saving idea for everyone for the difficulty changing:

Instead of having everyone re download the entire packs and such, create folders that mimic existing packs.

example:

Songs > Hard Songs Megapack 1 > St. Scarhand (Zaghurim) > St. Scarhand.sm

but it'd be in the format of:

Songs > Pack > Song > .sm file only.

That way, download size is significantly reduced, and all the downloadee has to do is "Download file, extract in Stepmania folder, and hit 'yes to all' replacements."

Once that is done, reload the stepmania engine, and bam difficulties that have been edited appear to every file!
how about people editing the files to make them easier before to convert them? Am i making sense or i missed something?
wargasm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:49 PM   #217
customstuff
♥C.S. + A.M.♥
FFR Veteran

Hey Shikari, I'm up for making the Dumpstep pack compatible with this if you're interested. It won't be released too soon really, but if you want you can help with difficulties and stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMagic5239 View Post
Placements are final, custom will not be moved to D6, just because he is good at jacks, and mediocre at just about every other FMO in the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by customstuff View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMagic5239 View Post
welcome to D6

start playing
customstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:58 PM   #218
~Zeta~
Flag Master
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Awesome progress in such a short time.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:00 PM   #219
ddrxero64
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoMasterPie View Post
what's wrong with the notes per second difficulty system? it's probably the most objective one yet. i think it caters fine to newbies and experts. like james said, just my $0.02 xd

i'd be willing to help with this in any way possible
Only reason I agree with this is because there's an actual system involved. I think if future packs were organized with the same system then everyone could understand the packs the same. Some people don't play certain packs because of how weird the rating system is really. There is the Xoon rating thing, Alice's rating (1-10 pad, 11-20 kb), classic/old school rating, ITG rating, etc.

Using this rating and that Fudge Factor thing to take into account patterns and voltage would be great. Even if some difficulties could be opinion, 11-13 is better than 2-16.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icontrolyourworld View Post
I can share the ways of jumpstream
Haha, nice.

As for the classes, I don't agree.

How did you learn to step? First find out how some of us learned to step, and see what we can better about that process. I only suggest teaching to sync. I think a person has to play and have experience with files to learn which patterns and styles they like most. Teaching how to do those BPM gimmicks is fine too, but actual pattern teaching should only be how people use them, and not about how you should use some to express certain parts of a song. For example:

Wrong (my opinion)

A trill is commonly used to express two notes alternating. For example, you take two piano keys and play them back and forth. That would be a trill in stepmania.

Right (my opinion)

A trill was commonly used to express two notes alternating. Like if someone played two piano keys back and forth, it would be like two arrows in a trill. Some people use it while creating a stream too, because it's naturally easy to follow for a style like index. It doesn't have to be used only for two notes, it's up to you how you want to use it.
ddrxero64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:10 PM   #220
Kraezymann
Forum User
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via MSN to Kraezymann

I mean banner ads when I say ads, like what FFR used to have. A site like that is probably going to cost money, and you can't necessarily rely on donations alone.

When I said "thoughts" I didn't mean "thats my idea, discuss it now." I meant how is the site going to be paid for? Now, and in the future? I'm just curious about it, not trying to antagonize
Kraezymann is offline   Reply With Quote