Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat

Old 08-26-2018, 05:13 PM   #1
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

Default Re: I'm tired of Google's algorithms thinking they know what I want and ruining the n

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
most of the other paintings of black people near the top are all from an exhibit called "Revealing the African Presence in Renaissance Europe" that ran a few years ago.
yes, well, the mona lisa and whatnot should be toward the top of what someone searches for "european art", or at least that seems self-evident to me and it's odd that this would be toward the top of search of this kind.

search engine optimization is fine, but this appears to go beyond that.

and no, I am not
"""upset about paintings of black people"""
that's... clearly not what I'm objecting to. if it was, my dating history would leave a lot to be accounted for.

politicization could go the other way, too -- forcing paintings of any kind into search results when they don't belong there would be objectionable. had google been populated by 2006-era republicans, the search results would probably prioritize christian artists over all else.

politicization is bad. optimization is fine.
Arch0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:40 PM   #2
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: I'm tired of Google's algorithms thinking they know what I want and ruining the n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch0wl View Post
yes, well, the mona lisa and whatnot should be toward the top of what someone searches for "european art", or at least that seems self-evident to me and it's odd that this would be toward the top of search of this kind.

search engine optimization is fine, but this appears to go beyond that.
no, it appears that how SEO works goes beyond you. if I were to walk up to a person who has even a tiny bit of interest in the arts and just straight up say "yo, european art," some of the first things that come to their mind are probably going to be paintings such as Starry Night, Mona Lisa, and the Creation of Adam. a search engine is not a person interested in the arts. it is a set of rules and thousands of lines of code designed to pull websites based on metrics such as popularity. if Mona Lisa isn't one of the first things that pops up when you feed "european art" into a search engine, this is because the Mona Lisa isn't being talked about as much in recent times, at least on the internet as a whole.
you get these results on nearly every search engine because the discussion about "european art" has, at least in recent times, shifted from The Classics to more obscure paintings from more obscure artists.

Quote:
had google been populated by 2006-era republicans, the search results would probably prioritize christian artists over all else.
politicization is bad. optimization is fine.
it has nothing to do with the politics at google, or any search engine for that matter. the politicization is coming from the people creating content on the internet. search engines just give you what's popular.
what kind of code would you even need to negate this assumed politicization in a search engine?
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:59 PM   #3
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch0wl View Post
"""upset about paintings of black people"""
that's... clearly not what I'm objecting to. if it was, my dating history would leave a lot to be accounted for.
This is an even dumber answer to a deliberately dumb fake argument

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:27 PM   #4
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

yes. it warrants a dumb reply, not a serious one.

as an aside, to what degree can people shit on me before this qualifies as "insulting" me in the eyes of the moderators? (for the record, I don't think saying my comment is "dumb" is insulting, but "you're an idiot" probably qualifies, and I'd like to know where the line is.)
Arch0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:56 PM   #5
melonpapes
FFR Player

https://money.cnn.com/2018/08/28/tec...google-rigged/

Look what just happened to be said by the Cheeto just now. Also Google promoted this in my Google now feed on my phone as a notification for me. Lol. Wow