Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-25-2005, 08:20 AM   #1
Tasselfoot
Retired BOSS
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Tasselfoot Send a message via MSN to Tasselfoot Send a message via Skype™ to Tasselfoot
Default D&D Adventure starting Friday, 7pm.

This topic: http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...wtopic&t=35715 led me think about starting an online D&D group. I'd be looking for 4-6 dedicated players to meet about once a week for 4-8 hours.

I've been playing (and DMing) D&D since 2nd edition. I started playing 10 years ago, in 1995. I've DMed off and on since about 7 or 8 years ago.

The campaign would be under 3rd edition rules (I don't have the 3.5 core books). I have about 20 different companion manuals also, including about 8 different monsterous manuals. Basically, you name a standard rulebook, I have it. Planar Handbook, Psionic Handbook, every class Handbook, Epic Level Handbook, etc etc etc.

The game would run in an AIM chatroom, as it is easy to roll dice in there. I would also be doing other rolling on my desk, as there are plenty of times when a DM doesn't want the players to know the rolls.

I'd expect a high level of role-playing, as retarded acting towards NPCs will most certainly reflect poorly on you and your group. Also, if you're an ogre fighter with 6 intelligence and come up to the solution to a puzzle, not only will I ignore it, I'll make sure to change the solution so whoever the "smarter" players are can't just repeat whatever you said.

I've always allowed for alot of flexibility in my games when I've DMed. I'm not one to spend 10 hours creating an adventure before a session (like some DMs I've played with). I've found that putting an hour or two into rolling out the main enemies and writing down the details of the plot are enough, plus it allows for greater flexibility for the players. Basically, if a DM spends 10 hours on something, and you decide you want to go somewhere else.... not only won't they be pleased, they'll find ways to force you to do what they want (I know this from experience). My way, you're free to do what you want.

Finally, we'll be playing in the realm of Dragonlance, on the planet Krynn. Surprised? You shouldn't be... my namesame comes from Dragonlance, and its the world that I am extremely knowledgeable aboutl. I will have to pick up the Dragonlance setting rulebook, as I don't have it for some reason.

If there are any other questions, please let me know. Also, please list your playing experience. If there are alot of people interested, I'll have to find a way to limit it, or otherwise make it so there aren't a retarded amount of people in the campaign. Because that isn't realistic. I've played in a campaign with 9 players... not only does not everyone show up most of the time, there are WAY too many people acting and doing random crap at the same time, too many people goofing off and not paying attention, and nothing gets accomplished.

Finally, if you've never played D&D before.... I'd say that playing a game online would be very difficult. I'll be assuming that whoever plays has a strong knowledge of the Players Handbook and understands the basic nuances of the game. In fact, I'd recommend every player have a copy of the Players Handbook. It would make my life 10x easer.