Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-21-2016, 12:51 AM   #11
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Default Re: What are the best simfile packs released after 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
So in some sense you could say that these are not the "best" in the extent that they don't display the highest levels of creativity and originality, but I don't think it's fair to say that they're bad or even worse in any meaningful way when they exist to fulfill a different purpose.
are you the only person with a brain jesus christ

I remember an era where it seemed like the charting community existed and produced files only for themselves, not the players. Technicality, and later down the line originality, were prioritized over playability and accessibility. Charters were circle jerking each other over who could produce the most obnoxious mind blocking patterns or stick the biggest difficulty spikes where they were "technically justified" or fill charts with unnecessary mines in the name of "art".

And who suffered in the wake of this one dimensional approach to charting? Players did, because they had nothing to actually play, irrespective of how great of a "golden age" it was for charters. Back in 2009 the only thing players wanted were more scoring files because there fucking weren't any. We had hsmp packs and the newer midare packs as well as the classic odi1/2 files which all of us had already played into oblivion. So yeah, no shit there was a reaction. Members of the community that were strictly players had to turn to charting files themselves because the charting community wasn't providing any meaningful content for them. And so they chart from the only perspective they know how to, scoring.

This is not inherently better or worse than charting strictly from the perspective of artistic expression, it's just different. How the fuck can you people chastise players for charting and playing what they fucking want to play? You want people to acquiesce to your specific notions of what charting is and isn't and what the game should and shouldn't be but you immediately dismiss any differing perspectives as being inferior. Come the fuck on.

GD you call everyone out for being dismissive and ungrateful for all the effort you put into the seasonal packs but you stand here shitting on the collective work of the community over the last 6 years indiscriminately. Not to mention that the notion that all contemporary files are scoring files and all contemporary packs are scoring packs is hilariously incorrect.

And personally, I enjoy playing through odi1/2, rfp, ppp1/2, xoon 4 r/b, pmoe, dcp, the uemp series and a host of other older packs. Excellent files are still excellent when played on rates and this is something that I go out of my way to suggest to players who didn't begin playing during those eras. So why don't we cut this holier-than-thou shit out and realize that your idea of the game isn't any more valid than anyone else's.

Last edited by MinaciousGrace; 04-21-2016 at 12:57 AM..
MinaciousGrace is offline   Reply With Quote