Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #11
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: Texas Senate Filibuster Regarding Abortion

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlp View Post
for me the cutoff for potential would be a fertilized egg, because it will naturally develop and obtain sentience
But it isn't sentient until much later on in the process. What is the difference between "it will become sentient through time alone" and "it will become sentient if you have sex and let time run its course"? Why is fertilization the important cutoff point if no pre-existing utility is lost in either case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlp View Post
i dont know how to articulate my reasoning against this without involving religious beliefs. i would tie it in with my belief in a soul's premortal and postmortal existence
How does the idea of a soul have any impact on the level of suffering a child endures? Either way, I would say that your (plural general "your") religious beliefs shouldn't be pushed onto others when their choices do not impinge on your life in this context.

If someone believes in a soul and wishes to carry a baby to term, that's their choice. But I don't think it's right to hold others to that same religious standard.

EDIT: I won't make fun of your stance -- I'm just asking for clarification so I can better understand.

Last edited by Reincarnate; 06-26-2013 at 09:22 PM..
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote