Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-21-2005, 07:09 PM   #11
VxDx
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to VxDx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurseyRider734
I don't really have time to type this all out, but i'm going to anyways.

Marijuana kills dopamine. If you don't know what dopamine is, it's the natural stimulant that causes adrenaline. It makes you feel happy/energized/motivated and what not. It's "unrenewable", or once it dies you can never regain it back. When you're on an adrenaline rush dopamine goes into these little...uh...slots in your brain. The chemical in Marijuana, THC, will replicate the dopamine and fill up these slots and the dopamine has nowhere to go, so it dies and will never be replaced. Eventually your happy type of feeling you get after you win a soccer game or play some kind of concert or something you acomplish will decrease. Not only does this happen, but smoking Marijuana harms your lungs and will do all of that whole not being able to drive/not thinking straight deal. I hope Marijuana never becomes legal and the penalties for catching people with the drug is raised much higher.
Dopamine is a NEUROTRANSMITTER, not a stimulant. Dopamine is a CHEMICAL so it can't be killed. Dopamine is renewable by the process Tyrosine -> L-Dopa -> Dopamine. THC binds to THC receptors ("little...uh...slots") which release GABA which causes a dopamine release (the GABA interneural release isn't necessarily proven). Either way THC, like cocaine and opiates is a DOPAMINE AGONIST not a dopamine inhibitor. Dopamine does NOT have anything to do with adrenaline, as that is a function of the endocrine system. Furthermore, though you may, with heavy, continuous use, see a lessening in positive reinforcement it has never been scientifically or otherwise proven, which would indicate that the effect is negligible.

Marijuana does harm the lungs, however, similar to cigarettes.

All I have to say is that if you've never tried it, you really have no place to try to weigh the positives to the negatives. By your logic, we should ban fatty foods, because they're bad for you, though many people still eat it because it tastes good. We should also ban cigarettes and alcohol for similar reasons, as well as many perscription and non-perscription drugs. We should also ban cars, because the exhaust is harmful.

YOU shouldn't be able to make a judgement for all other people, especially if you haven't done it yourself, which I doubt you have. If you somehow have tried all that you condemn, then you still wouldn't have a good arguement.
VxDx is offline   Reply With Quote