Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 01:30 AM   #1
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Why is the First Person Genre so popular?

Sorry for the repeat of words from a previous topic, but this got me thinking. Why is it that first person shooters are made on a yearly basis and still sell well?

I mean, there are some games that fall under this genre that have attempted to change the formula a lot, but there's only so much you change and make feel different and fresh with a simple concept of "shooting things that don't like you and shoot back."

Also, this was a Truth or Dare thing and the dare was to make another "Why is ________ so popular? So don't hate too much, dohoho. Just trying to fulfill the dare while maybe making some type of discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
Charu the red-nosed Snivy
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You could even say it glows

All of the other Snivies
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Charu
Join in any Snivy games

(Click the arrow to see the rest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.

Last edited by Charu; 04-27-2013 at 02:38 AM..
Old 04-27-2013, 01:33 AM   #2
Tarrik
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Tarrik Send a message via Skype™ to Tarrik
Default Re: Why is the First Person Genre so popular?

Probably because the world is filled with edgy little teenagers.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:42 AM   #3
DragonIIDX
Not dragon, but dinosaur
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to DragonIIDX

Too many casual gamers that only play fps and keep wanting more fps, so more fps games are made for the fps crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clasko1000 View Post
banned for having an affair with peach
Quote:
Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 View Post
d-guy and d-guy skype pals 10/15/13
Simfiles Updated 11/30/13
Old 04-27-2013, 01:46 AM   #4
FissionMailed1
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to FissionMailed1

I'll just sum it up with one word. Accessibility.

YOUR THROBBING MULTIFARIOUS LUSTFUL DESIRES ARE COMPLETED N YOUR HYPER-ORANGE SELF, YOU MAKE ME LOVE AGAIN, YOU'VE CHANGED MY HEART, MY MELANCHOLIA DISAPPEARS WHEN YOU ARE INSIDE OF ME, MY HUMAN RAGE IS TEMPERED WHEN I AM INSIDE YOU, THE SECRET IS COMMUNICATION, LONGEVITY, STAMINA, REPETITION, FURY, SOULFUL KISSING, EARPLUGS. YOU FUCKING CORPORATE COCKS AND CUNTS.

MY ANXIETY COMPLETE, MY DESIRE REPLETE, THE TASTE OF ORANGE BLOOD AND CUM AND GREENBACKS RUNNING DOWN MY FACE. THE STREETS WILL RUN ORANGE WITH YOUR MIXTURE OF CHEETOS AND HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLS REGURGITATED AND EATEN AND SHIT OUT AGAIN AND EATEN AGAIN.

YOU ARE MY SCULPTURE, MY SCULPTRA, MY SELF-DEFINITION. MY DEFINITION OF HUMANITY, MY HARMONY. MY HEART AND MY MIND.

YOU ARE SO ORANGE. SO CRUNCHY. SO CONSUMABLE.

THE NEW ORANGE UNDERGROUND IS THE ORANGE UP MY ASS. AND YOUR ASS.

I LOVE YOU CHEETOS.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
Mike Weedmark
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionMailed1 View Post
I'll just sum it up with one word. Accessibility.
There is so much truth in this one line it really deserves a QFT. Lowest common denominator gaming. Nothing mysterious about its popularity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbyfour
imagine if skyrim was a turn based RPG instead of a western rpg
These are not opposite things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04im View Post
it's popular because people like playing it... it's that simple
no need for psychological explanations & convoluted media bullshit

people like playing mario, a platformer - that's why it's made over and over again with different variations, and people enjoy them

people like playing puzzle/arcade games to kill time like bejeweled and candy crush - that's why there are a billion variations out there

people like playing indie games like braid and binding of isaac - that's why there are so many indie games out there, hoping to get big

people like playing sandbox games like simcity and minecraft - that's why they've seen insane success, and there are more games of this genre, like rollercoaster tycoon - these can be called maintenance games i guess - like farmville

people like playing rpg games that require grinding and interaction with others - that's why pokemon, and a billion other rpgs out there like world of warcraft, tera, aion etc are popular and have sold millions

do you get where i'm going with this?
people just like games, that's all - the only difference is, what kind of games do people like?
The difference is that none of those genres are dominant to the ridiculous extent shooters are. It's like one in every two games now.

Last edited by Mike Weedmark; 04-27-2013 at 02:42 PM..
Old 04-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
04im
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Weedmark View Post
The difference is that none of those genres are dominant to the ridiculous extent shooters are. It's like one in every two games now.
wrong
do u even know what minecraft & league of legends is bro

people like you just think shooters are dominant in gaming because you don't know have a big sample size of observation

many many other games sell millions, and league of legends & dota is more popular by far than shooters

have you seen streams? who's on top all the time, and who watches what? nobody watches shooting game streams on a regular basis - on the other hand everybody watches MOBAs & other games on a regular basis
Old 04-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #7
Pseudo Enigma
ごめんなさい (/ω\)
FFR Veteran

Quote:
wrong
do u even know what minecraft & league of legends is bro

people like you just think shooters are dominant in gaming because you don't know have a big sample size of observation

many many other games sell millions, and league of legends & dota is more popular by far than shooters

have you seen streams? who's on top all the time, and who watches what? nobody watches shooting game streams on a regular basis - on the other hand everybody watches MOBAs & other games on a regular basis
I'm pretty sure people can be into more than one genre of gaming at a time. Besides, I'm fairly sure your viewpoint is just as biased as his.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #8
popsicle_3000
Legendary Noob

Send a message via Skype™ to popsicle_3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon890x View Post
This thread had no foundation from the beginning. I have no idea what you're trying to save.
someone is on some weird vendetta for a reason i don't understand. what is happening??

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
39,000 popsicles pro bg blue note arrow slayer whoa damn..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
one way to stream them all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Right after sex, it skillboosted me by +10 levels from like a 35-45 about. (Which then 15 min's later I got really tired and couldn't play anymore)

But then my lady friend got pissed off I was playing FFR instead of playing her. Then for the rest of the night she played the 'Only want me for my body' card and I didn't get to sleep with blankets that night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesunfan View Post
replacing ifitypedhisnameaslargeashisnamesuggests,iwouldgetbanned with theelongatedaustrocanadian3000 (pop).
Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben_tate View Post
Title: Popsicle Three

Thousand the farthest
He's gone in an official
Whoop hip hip hooray!
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
kjwkjw: "oh my god, Tosh. Post that in the thread."

@popsicle_3000:
Danger incoming
The popsicles are melting
Three thousand of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
you got to ease the topic into some conversation and let it go from there

dynam0: man friend that was an intense sm session right?
friend: haha yeah you really nailed those patterns
dynam0: yeah man kind of like how gay dudes nail other gay dudes in the ass!
friend: hey bro can i tell you something
dynam0 yeah man whats up?
friend: hypothetically speaking would you care if i was bisexual or maybe even gay?
dynam0: bro we shower together after sm sessions all the time and i'll still shower with you even if you are gay or w/e thats your thing just dont try to ram my ass HAHAHA
friend: thanks man
dynam0: no problem man
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
pop takin' time out of playing irl Trauma Center to check in on his fiffer buds (mm)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Well, Popsicle won every award this year so it was canceled.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:42 PM   #9
04im
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Enigma View Post
I'm pretty sure people can be into more than one genre of gaming at a time. Besides, I'm fairly sure your viewpoint is just as biased as his.
lol what the hell, i think you're confused
so lemme lay it down for you (no flaming here dont worry dude)

thread title: why is 1st person shooter so popular
my answer: it's popular just because it's a game, like many other games in other genres
mike weedmark comments: first person shooters are very dominant in the gaming industry
my response: fps isn't "dominant" in the gaming industry, as a matter of fact many other genres are on-par if not more popular than first person shooters
your response: "i'm p.sure ppl can be into more than one genre at a time"

i don't get it lol, not tryna flame or anything, i just think you completely missed what i was trying to say here
what im saying isnt subjective, it's fact that fps isn't the dominant genre like what others have said here

aite pceeee
Old 04-27-2013, 01:48 AM   #10
Zon Fire
♎♏
FFR Veteran

replay value
Old 04-27-2013, 02:04 AM   #11
04im
FFR Player

people like playing mario, a platformer - that's why it's made over and over again with different variations, and people enjoy them

people like playing puzzle/arcade games to kill time like bejeweled and candy crush - that's why there are a billion variations out there

people like playing indie games like braid and binding of isaac - that's why there are so many indie games out there, hoping to get big

people like playing sandbox games like simcity and minecraft - that's why they've seen insane success, and there are more games of this genre, like rollercoaster tycoon - these can be called maintenance games i guess - like farmville

people like playing rpg games that require grinding and interaction with others - that's why pokemon, and a billion other rpgs out there like world of warcraft, tera, aion etc are popular and have sold millions

people just like games, that's all - the only difference is, what kind of games do people like?
Old 04-27-2013, 06:45 AM   #12
EzExZeRo7497
FFR Veteran

Quote:

thank you
Old 04-27-2013, 06:26 AM   #13
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

first person shooterss are popular because they put you right in the middle of the action

imagine if skyrim was a turn based RPG instead of a western rpg
Old 04-27-2013, 06:52 AM   #14
Mourningfall
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Immersion.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:18 PM   #15
dragon890x
☆Ξ Phantasy Star Legend Ξ☆
FFR Veteran

'First Person' is not a genre.

Shooting games are not the only games that support first person mechanics.

I would also like to add Portal to my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
there's only so much you change and make feel different and fresh with a simple concept of "shooting things that don't like you and shoot back."
You're clearly mistaken, and are labeling too broad a group with a description that only a select few members justify.

It's ironic coming from you, considering your defense against those who judge furries and MLP fans.

[ Link ]

Last edited by dragon890x; 04-27-2013 at 02:38 PM..
Old 04-27-2013, 02:45 PM   #16
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!

Oh crud... I totally just realized I didn't add a word to the thread title. I meant to say SHOOTERS.

How embarrassing.

Also, in case any of you think I'm being sort of serious with this... was sort of, but just in case anyone missed it, gonna quote my own post.

Quote:
Also, this was a Truth or Dare thing and the dare was to make another "Why is ________ so popular? So don't hate too much, dohoho. Just trying to fulfill the dare while maybe making some type of discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
Charu the red-nosed Snivy
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You could even say it glows

All of the other Snivies
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Charu
Join in any Snivy games

(Click the arrow to see the rest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:48 PM   #17
dragon890x
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Oh crud... I totally just realized I didn't add a word to the thread title. I meant to say SHOOTERS.
Portal
Spec Ops: The Line
Borderlands
Dead Island
PAYDAY: The Heist
Quantum Conundrum
Killing Floor
Cry of Fear

I could spend another minute scanning my Steam library, but I'd rather not.

You're still mistaken on this topic, and should drop your argument.

[ Link ]
Old 04-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #18
Mike Weedmark
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon890x View Post
I could spend another minute scanning my Steam library, but I'd rather not.
"STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM."

~ Every casual gamer who thinks he's super-hardcore ever.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #19
dragon890x
FFR Veteran

Quote:
"STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM. STEAM."

This is extremely funny. I enjoyed the Comic Sans portion.

Thank you.

[ Link ]
Old 04-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #20
FontSize72LOL
☆~{2D <3}~☆
FFR Veteran

Quote:

Why so ass-pained about steam because it has more selection @ a cheaper price than any console market. If you call yourself a PC gamer and don't have steam, you're a huge ******.

Then again you might be one of those people who still defend the console as a viable way to play games. Sorry, That excuse might have ran when a gaming PC cost 1500+ USD, but thats not the case anymore. With the right knowledge and sales on the right products, you can easily build a Gaming PC capable of running any game on the market for under $500.

Also, Nice Comic-Sans.
Closed Thread