Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-8-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default How to solve a Rubik's Cube

This is an original work that I am using for CIST 1300 at the University of Nebraska at Omaha during the fall 2012 semester.

I was looking around the FFR forums and couldn't find a thread revealing how to solve the rubik's cube, so I thought to myself.. I'm bored.. I know how to solve this thing.. other people don't.. I'll share my knowledge while curing my boredom at the same time. Without further ado, let's commence with our cube solving adventure!

I have some philosophical crap to give you before we start.
If you're one of those people who is scared to mess up their cube, that's lame. how are you ever going to solve it if you're too nostalgic to scramble it? The thing was meant to be messed around with. It's kinda like you can go skydiving with a chance to die, but learn something that is really cool, or you can stay at home and be safe. It's your choice.

If you are dainty, take a look through this post and see if you're up to the challenge. I'll try to make this as easy as possible with pretty pictures. Chances are though, if you do scramble your cube beyond your intelligence, you can most likely find someone who can solve it.

Okay, here we go!!!

Table of Contents
I. .....Cube Notation
II. ....The First Cross
III. ...The First Layer
IV. ...The Second Layer
V. ....The Second Cross
VI. ...The Final Step
-----------------------------------------------------

I. Cube Notation

In this guide, I will be using some terminology that has to do with the movement of the sides of the cube. An algorithm is a sequence of turns used to get something done on the cube, for instance, the first algorithm you'll need to learn is Front inverted, Up, Left inverted, Up inverted. I'll explain what this does and what the terms front, up, left, and inverted are soon.

There are 6 sides on the cube, which means there are 6 sides you can turn. The 6 sides in notation are: Front, Back, Right, Left, Up, Down. See the picture below:

Sorry for weird outlined junk, just pay attention to the parts that are filled in with red.

In the algorithms, I'll be using just 1 letter for each to represent which side. F is Front, B is Back, R is Right, L is Left, U is Up, D is Down. If I say just F without anything after it, you rotate the front side clockwise. If I say Fi, that means Front Inverted, which means rotate the front side counterclockwise. You might get confused on which way counterclockwise and clockwise of right and left are if you're facing front, but if you're confused on that, just imagine that the side is facing you and turn it the correct direction.

Finally, you need to know the names of the little cubes on the cube. The pieces in the centers of each side are always the same and can't be changed (unless you take the stickers off... loser), they have 1 color on them. These pieces are called center pieces. The pieces with 2 colors on them are called edge pieces. And the pieces with 3 colors on them are called corner pieces.

Alright, now you know the notation and we're ready to move on to the next step!

II. The First Cross

This is the first and easiest step of solving the cube. When solved correctly it will look like this:

To start, find the blue side (the side with blue in the center) it really doesn't matter which side you start on, but I think blue stands out the most and it will help if the side you're solving is the same side I'm talking about. After you've found the blue side, put it on the top, then you need to start looking for an edge piece that has blue in it, for instance the blue/yellow edge. You need to put the blue/yellow edge up on the blue side by rotating the side its on up onto the blue side (see picture)

In this instance, the edge you need needs to be rotated up with a R turn.

If you get something like this:
You need to do your first algorithm!!! This algorithm swaps the edge around so that it's blue blue yellow yellow instead of blue yellow blue yellow(as shown in the picture). You need to turn the cube so that the swapped edge is on the front side(blue still on top) and do this algorithm:

Fi U Li Ui

If that algorithm didn't work, review the cube notation section because you did it wrong.
If the edge isn't lined up like in the first picture of the completed cross, make it so that it's blue blue on top and yellow yellow on the side. Now you have to find the other 3 edges and do the same. This takes some practice to find the edges and get them in the correct spot, but you'll get used to it. Make sure it looks like the solved image before you move on. (Except blue is on top instead of yellow.)

Getting the cross is highly intuitive which means you have to use common sense to get the pieces in the right spot. Most anyone can do it since you don't need to leave anything alone on the cube, so you're free to move the sides as you please in order to get the cross.

III. The First Layer

Solved:

If there's any step easier than the cross it's this one. Really, only one algorithm is required, but there are variations that can be used for speedcubing. What you need to do for this step is plug all the corners in correctly. First, you need to find a corner with blue in it. Look at that corner and see the other 2 colors on it. We'll say that the corner is blue/red/yellow. What you need to do is get the corner piece in the correct corner where it needs to go. See picture.

In this picture, the corner piece is in the correct corner slot where it needs to go ; the blue/red/yellow corner piece is on the corner of the red/yellow side. The required algorithm for getting this piece up so that it's in the right spot is, facing the red side in this case, Ri Di R D. With the case in the picture, you only need to do this algorithm once. In other cases, you might need to do that algorithm up to 5 times. This next picture tells you all the possible corner cases and how many times you'll need to perform the algorithm. (sorry the colors are off again, I used this picture in a previous post.)

Case 1: The algorithm is needed 4 times
Case 2: The algorithm is needed 1 time
Case 3: The algorithm is needed 3 times
Case 4: The algorithm is needed 2 times
Case 5: The algorithm is needed 5 times
(sorry they're out of order)

If a corner is in the top layer but in the wrong place (say the blue/white/orange corner is in the blue/yellow/orange slot), just 'dump' the corner out with a Ri Di R to get it out and continue plugging your corners in.

After you've finished plugging all your corners in, your cube should look awfully similar to the 1st layer solved picture. If you've made it this far, congratulations. You understand the notation and have a good mind for cube solving. The next few steps might be a bit challenging because the algorithms are longer, but I will still have pictures to back it up.

IV. The Second Layer

Solved:

You may have noticed that the picture is upside down. That's because the first thing you do before moving on to the second layer is flipping the cube over. It's pretty much, 'I solved the first layer, so forget about it.'

So now the green side should be the top. The first thing you do is find an edge on the top that doesn't have green in it. For instance, yellow/red. (I only have so many colors copied in my paint doc =P). If there's a yellow/red edge on the top layer, turn it so that it matches up with its corresponding center piece. One of two things could happen here:

The first one is standard. You need to use 1 algorithm to get it in. That algorithm is (facing the yellow side) Ui Fi U F U R Ui Ri. For case 2, you need to do 2 separate algorithms. One to get the piece swapped around and one to plug it in. The two algorithms you use for case 2 are (facing the yellow side) F R U Ri Ui Fi and Ui Fi U F U R Ui Ri. You could also just reverse the first algorithm, but that would require you to learn a whole new algorithm and we're trying to keep it down to only 6.

You might run into a case where a piece is plugged in, but in the wrong spot or switched around like so:

The algorithm to plug a piece in from the top layer is the same to take it out. In this case, just face red and do the algorithm Ui Fi U F U R Ui Ri. After you do that, you'll run into one of the two cases shown before. repeat these algorithms for all the corners until your cube looks like the solved image.

-----------ALMOST DONE!-------------

V. The Second Cross

Solved:

If you've made it this far, you've passed the hump. We're on the home stretch, the hard part is over, this last layer is all about repetition. After you're done with your 2nd layer, you could have 1 of 4 separate cases on top, the dot, L, line, or cross. They look like this:

Here's where the repetition kicks in! Remember that F R U Ri Ui Fi algorithm from before? Lets do it again!

If you have the dot, face any old side of the cube you want as long as green is still on top and do the algorithm. After this, you should get the L.

If you have the L, turn the cube so that the L is on the upper left side of the cube (as shown in the picture) and do the algorithm F R U Ri Ui Fi. After you do this, you should get the line.

If you have the line, make it so that the line is going horizontally (left to right) and do the algorithm F R U Ri Ui Fi. After that, you should have the cross.

If you have the cross, do nothing, you just skipped a step! (yay!)

Once you have the cross, the next step is to get 2 edges lined up with the centers on the second layer:

You could also get a case where 2 edges are lined up, but on opposite sides, but that's hard to make a picture for. If all your edges are lined up already, you just skipped a step! Hold tight and skip to the next section. When you find your two lined up edges (there will ALWAYS be two that will line up.) Make it so one pair is on your right hand and the other pair is facing away from you on the back of the cube. After you've got the cube in the right spot in your hands, do the algorithm R U Ri U R U U Ri U.

If you have the edges lined up, but across from each other, do that algorithm (except for the U at the end) which should cause you to get 2 edges lined up next to each other, situate the cube correctly in you hands and do it again. Now your cube should look like the solved picture. If it doesn't, you either didn't have the cube situated in your hands right... or you messed up bigtime and you probably have to start over.

VI. The Final Step

Solved:

(OMG)

This final step is very odd and you have to be VERY CAREFUL or else you'll mess it up. The first thing you need to do is get the corners in the right spot, they don't need to be oriented yet, but in the right spot, for example:

The corners are in the right spot, they're just not oriented correctly. To get your cube this way, you need to find a corner that is already in the correct spot (doesn't have to be oriented), make sure the corner is on the bottom right side of the top layer and do the algorithm U R Ui Li U Ri Ui L. The most you'll have to do this algorithm is twice. If all the corners aren't matched up after the first time, just find another corner (or the same corner) and do it again. If you can't find a matching corner the first time, just do the algorithm on any corner, find one that matches, and do it again.

Got all your corners matched up?? Good. Here's the part where you need to be extra extra careful on. So many people get to this part and think, it's smooth sailing from here, I don't even need to pay attention, but to say this nicely, you screw this up, you're restarting.

You'll either have 2, 3, or 4 corners (or 0 if you get lucky..) that aren't oriented correctly. Hold the cube so that the first unsolved corner is on the bottom right corner of the top layer (see picture)

The colors of the corners might not be completely accurate, but the main purpose of the picture is to show you where to start.

This next step will look like you're messing up, but you're not.

Anyways, start with the cube in your hands with the corners in the right spot from the picture and do Ri Di R D until the green goes to the top. Make sure to include the D even after the color is up there, it's essential. After the first green is in and you did your D, rotate the top layer counterclockwise (Ui), putting the next open spot in the bottom right corner. Then do Ri Di R D again until the green is in. Don't forget the D, don't forget to rotate the top layer instead of turning the cube. Repeat this as many times as necessary until your cube is solved!

You've just solved the Rubik's cube! You've earned this cookie.

complete list of algorithms for this method:
Fi U Li Ui
Ri Di R D
Ui Fi U F U R Ui Ri
F R U Ri Ui Fi
R U Ri U R U U Ri U
U R Ui Li U Ri Ui L

Last edited by rushyrulz; 12-3-2012 at 04:01 PM..
rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-8-2009, 02:43 PM   #2
Bangcrashboom
The Lulz, Do It For Them
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Bangcrashboom
Default Re: How to solve a Rubik's Cube

wow mutve taken you a while to write this. Thanks though ive never solved the cube before

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolth mannn View Post
Bangcrashboom lets make our manboobs touch.
Bangcrashboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-8-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!

I'm bored again now. Thanks, bangcrashboom. Yeah, it took me like 5 hours to make the pictures and explain all the parts in as much detail as I could.

Sorry the 1st cross is so unclear, it really is intuitive and just takes practice.

Old 03-8-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
robertsona
missa in h-moll
FFR Simfile Author

i CANNOT solve a rubik's cube with reading.

i've tried reading guides millions of times. nope.

had to watch the video XD.
still, awesome guide bro .
Old 03-8-2009, 02:52 PM   #5
Quigly
nah
FFR Veteran

Damn that cookie makes me hungry....

Oh and nice guide also.

Cookie...
Old 03-8-2009, 02:53 PM   #6
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!

Chill guys, XUioX is making a video guide to go along with this thread. I've supplied plenty of pictures to make this as visual as I possibly could.

P.S. you have to earn the cookie.

Old 03-8-2009, 03:16 PM   #7
Psychotik
Heckin' Cute
Difficulty ConsultantFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I already knew how to solve one so do I still get the cookie? Nice guide BTW, now do a Fridrich guide, even though I know that too.
I want me a grrrl that will call me at 4 in the morning and ask me what my best is on Ants.
Psychotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-8-2009, 03:21 PM   #8
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotik View Post
do a Fridrich guide
No.

Old 03-8-2009, 03:41 PM   #9
Bluearrowll
⊙▃⊙
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Bluearrowll Send a message via MSN to Bluearrowll

Requesting a 4x4 or 5x5 guide if possible ;D
5th in Phynx's Unofficial FFR Tournament
9th in D3 of the 2008-2009 4th Official FFR Tournament
10th in D5 of the 2010 5th Official FFR Tournament
10th in D6 of the 2011-2012 6th Official FFR Tournament

FMO AAA Count: 71
FGO AAA Count: 10

Bluearrowll = The Canadian player who can not detect awkward patterns. If it's awkward for most people, it's normal for Terry. If the file is difficult but super straight forward, he has issues. If he's AAAing a FGO but then heard that his favorite Hockey team was losing by a point, Hockey > FFR
PS: Cool AAA's Terry
- I Love You

An Alarm Clock's Haiku
beep beep beep beep beep
beep beep beep beep beep beep beep
beep beep beep beep beep
- ieatyourlvllol
Bluearrowll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-8-2009, 04:04 PM   #10
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!

I just added a quick reference to all the algorithms listed at the bottom of the post.

Bluearrow, if this thread is a success, I might.

Old 03-8-2009, 04:12 PM   #11
XUioX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to XUioX

Ill start a video tutorial in a little while.. ill probably have it up in 2 hours or so.

AIM = Dylanxlol25
Feel free to add!
XUioX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-8-2009, 05:32 PM   #12
Kagami_Hiiragi
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Kagami_Hiiragi

the way i did it was by taking all the stickers off and rearragnging them how they were originally.
Kagami_Hiiragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-8-2009, 06:01 PM   #13
Megamanmaniac
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami_Hiiragi View Post
the way i did it was by taking all the stickers off and rearragnging them how they were originally.
Its better to just take it apart and put it back together so that you dont run the risk of destroying your stickers but then again its faster to just know how to solve the cube anyways.

Nice thread. Its about time there's a "learn how to solve a rubiks cube" thread up. I know how to solve one anyways though. Goodluck with the higher cubes tutorials too.

Last edited by Megamanmaniac; 03-8-2009 at 09:34 PM..
Megamanmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-8-2009, 06:25 PM   #14
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamanmaniac View Post
Its about time they got a learn how to solve a rubiks cube thread up.
they has a name =P.

Old 03-8-2009, 07:11 PM   #15
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Pretty good explanation.

If you want to make images in the future, it's probably quicker to use NxN ImageCube. You just give it the cube size and plug in the stickers on the U, R, and F faces, and it draws a really nice-looking cube for you (in any size you want).
qqwref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-8-2009, 08:31 PM   #16
Kagami_Hiiragi
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Kagami_Hiiragi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamanmaniac View Post
Its better to just take it apart and put it back together
you can do that???
Kagami_Hiiragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-8-2009, 05:39 PM   #17
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!

You can do it faster this way

Old 03-8-2009, 06:00 PM   #18
Wineandbread
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

What's with the abundance of cube threads?

Looks like a nice guide tho (tl;dr haha)
I wouldn't do this if I was bored. >_>
We climb up a lot of ladders, and fall down a lot of chutes.

Taking "all" oddjobs! PM me requests. Requests filled: 2 last active Mar. 6th, 2017

Keep it real pls. Will deny requests I cannot manage.

Wineandbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-8-2009, 06:00 PM   #19
Wineandbread
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

[Edit] wow double post
We climb up a lot of ladders, and fall down a lot of chutes.

Taking "all" oddjobs! PM me requests. Requests filled: 2 last active Mar. 6th, 2017

Keep it real pls. Will deny requests I cannot manage.

Wineandbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-8-2009, 07:32 PM   #20
Breakdown16
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Nice guide; I liked it. Maybe you should consider adding links to other pages that detail more advanced methods for those who want to get faster.

Made by arrekusuof93 at Ye Olde Photoshop Shoppe
Who remembers this thread? Brings back great memories XD
Breakdown16 is offline   Reply With Quote