Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-3-2013, 03:39 PM   #1
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default To piano players out there, how feasible would it be to learn piano SM style?

I see stuff like this

And can't help but wonder: Say you had such a screen for the entire set of keys and played piano this way, rote note-for-note. What would you think in terms of pros/cons/etc?

(I have no interest in doing this -- this is just a sort of cool "what if" question)
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-3-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
Zapmeister
FFR Player

Default Re: To piano players out there, how feasible would it be to learn piano SM style?

Would only work in a limited sense on really technical stuff like piano scales and exercises. Maybe could help with speed/timing on fast runs of notes, but playing the piano is a completely different skill and isn't just about hitting all the notes at the right time. There's dynamics (at a really basic level, you want the melody to stand out, and the first beat of the bar to be louder, together with all performance directions), legato/staccato, pedalling, rubato (I never really liked the way rubato is portrayed in ffr, which is done by moving some arrows around a little bit, when it should really be at performer's discretion; or even when it's just left out altogether when it should be needed), and general musical interpretation is thrown out altogether. Essentially you're training yourself to play piano like a computer, and that's never a good thing - computer performances of piano pieces are just that, robotic and emotionless.

still, getting a completely arbitrary score after playing a piano piece would be cool

Theorem: If you have a large enough number of monkeys, and a large enough number of computer keyboards, one of them will sight-read AAA death piano on stealth. And the ffr community will forever worship it. Proof Example

ask me anything here

mashed FCs: 329

r1: 5
r2: 4
r3: 6
r4: 8
r5: 3
r6: 5
r7: 15
final position: 4th
Zapmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-3-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
Dynam0
The Dominator
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: To piano players out there, how feasible would it be to learn piano SM style?

Well there are only 4 octaves shown there and already it looks pretty overwhelming. You would have to represent octave changes in some way and if you were playing something with consistent octave changes it would be very cumbersome to learn.

Since talented pianists can sight read (the politically correct definition) most compositions fairly well with sheet music, I can't see this method being superior, at least how it's represented in the video.

And just like Zapmeister said, this would be beneficial in a rudimentary way and to comprehend rhythmic structure I suppose
Dynam0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-3-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
SKG_Scintill
Spun a twirly fruitcake,
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

W- wha- thi- hnnng, qu'est-ce que fuck?
No

sheet music != ...this

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluguerilla
So Sexy Robotnik (SKG_Scintill) {.0001/10} [--]
___
. RHYTHMS PR LAYERING
. ZOMG I HAD TO QUIT OUT TERRIBLE
SKG_Scintill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-3-2013, 04:00 PM   #5
infinity.
sideways 8
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to infinity.

it would probably be super beneficial if one could really learn to read it,

dynamic sheet music, actually tho

nerds
infinity. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-3-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
Zageron
Zageron E. Tazaterra
RRR Developer & DevOps Support
AdministratorDeveloperFFR Veteran

Have fun.
https://www.synthesiagame.com/
Zageron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-3-2013, 04:06 PM   #7
andy-o24
Private Messages, please.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to andy-o24

I died at "Marvelous."

But on a serious note, it would probably be a good tool for separating the muscles needed to play on both the right hand and the left hand as well as making sure you can decipher what needs to be played. Reading the music and getting your hands to play the notes how you need to is a huge part of piano, and I think this would be a nice tool for creating that hand-eye coordination.

-o24

When the game isn't fun for you anymore, take a break. It's not a job, nobody here is professional and getting paid to play and force themselves to constantly improve... it's a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashakiro View Post
Yeah, FFR is addicting...I don't think I'll get bored with this game unless I somehow become the best at it, which won't happen.
andy-o24 is offline   Reply With Quote