Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-7-2014, 11:02 PM   #1
Crazyjayde
FFR Veteran
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default CJ's Cozy Music Shack [Album Sharing]

Let's be honest, it seems what mostly attracted people to contribute in the year-long listening challenges was the prospect of being able to share opinions on personal records and expand/validate your opinion of music. However, I think the exchange was extremely hermetic.
Thanks to Ez, it made me realize how stimulating (and perhaps necessary) it is to be able to share our discoveries with no restraints. But apart from the 'cathartic' thread, I don't think we've ever had a place where the vibe was carefree. So here's the deal:

I want to make this a space where we share albums to develop our taste within the community. Now this is not another thread where we dump recommandations and hope to force it down people's throats. You don't come in here and expect everyone to drop an ear on what you suggest instantly because you'll be disappointed rather quickly. However, if you've found a gem recently, or there's an outstanding album that's marked you, or you want to challenge somebody else into hearing something new, here's your chance.

Here are some pro tips so everyone has a chance:

Try not to suggest too much. It's preferable to wait for input on the album you shared unless it's been a while. Use your common sense.
Tell us what brought you to the album or what makes it worthwhile/unique. The more you involve yourself into promoting the record, the more it makes people interested in it. Make sure it's fun for you to write about it.
Include the cover art! Most of the time, it serves as a visual representation of what's contained within. It's also an excellent mnemonic.
Keep your recommendations varied and refreshing. The idea is to explore different soundscapes to the ones we're accustomed to. It's a great idea to list your favorite genres so everyone can challenge you according to them.
You are free to listen to what piques your interest. However, you should see if you can drop stances on a release someone suggested before adding to the thread yourself. This is what keeps the discussion from ending in a one-way street.
Respect each others' subjectivity. We're all on common ground here. Even if things get heated, propose another way of seeing things. The argumentation might be hard to perceive for someone else.

I think that's it. Go wild.

Last edited by Crazyjayde; 09-8-2014 at 12:13 AM..
Crazyjayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-7-2014, 11:02 PM   #2
Crazyjayde
FFR Veteran
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: CJ's Cozy Music Shack [Album Sharing]

Malajube - Trompe-l'oeil

It's been about 8 years I've been trying to pinpoint what goddamn genres this french beast stems from. It's a recipe that could be read as part neo-psychedelia, part chamber pop, part post-punk revival, a pinch of prog and ends up somehow making a broth of gritty indie rock. Not only is it stylistically singular but this strange mixture is somehow tightly cohesive according to the concept supervising its conception. Justifying this mixed bag is the fact that most songs are coupled to a mental or physical illness, where others refer simply to medical concepts, and are often given sense through lyrics. But all of this is very instrumental to the enjoyment as it's very subdued compared to the sheer whimsicality of the compositions. Surreal imageries reigns over the record, and whenever it's not aesthetically present, it compensates with a sense of groove or tact. Playful, derivative, catchy, and quite honest at times, there's bound to be something in here that'll please your earbuds.

By the way, you can be pretty lax with your details I'm just practicing my writing here.
Crazyjayde is offline   Reply With Quote