View Single Post
Old 08-24-2022, 08:57 AM   #96
WirryWoo
Forever Derbyless
Retired StaffFFR Simfile Author

Default Re: Dump Batch Discussion Thread

Ever since joining the site, I've always associated FFR as a platform to create more exposure to new artist's music through a fun rhythm game medium. It's why we always have to go out to seek for permissions to use artist's music in the game and it's why I'm in high support for visions like the recent "The Official New Musician Reward System" where step artists are rewarded for creating content to push towards that eye-opening vision for the broader community. I strongly believe that this is the main distinguishing aspect of the game compared to other rhythm games like Etterna and osumania! (it's also why I'm not interested in these games because I only play this game for fun but that's just my own personal bias speaking here).

That said, I do think that creating "dumps" removes many great opportunities to musically and rhythmically reflect the goals of a musician's work and personally I think that's really a shame. Even though other rhythm games like Etterna and osumania are not designed as safe havens for dumps, there is a reason why top players are playing dump-like files much more on these rhythm gaming platforms. In my opinion, it's because the initial goals of FFR are not designed to support dumps. We can push towards that direction if we want, but I do think it's really important to respect the initial goals of why FFR exists, and the initial reasons why FFR is successful in the first place. The game has certainly involved past those initial goals, but it's really up to us and the community to refocus on defining where we want FFR to be many years from now.

WirryWoo is offline   Reply With Quote