View Single Post
Old 01-29-2020, 11:59 AM   #11
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger
Default Re: [Essay] Problems with the Canadian Education System

Let me make a stance on my situation in school in comparison to the essay:

I took all academic courses throughout middle school and high school in Canada. Meaning, since grade 9, through grade 12 when they started offering choice between in-development courses, applied courses, and academic (university-ready) courses, all of my courses, regardless of my performance in them, were all at academic-applied level, including French which is a mandatory credit. My courses from grade 9 to grade 12 happened between 2010-2014, so somewhat recent in terms of schooling.

I had a stronger suit in mathematics over English/writing/reading, but when it came to the calculus, I bowed out. I never properly learned to re-arrange math equations despite 70-80% marks throughout grade 10 to grade 12.

I got through academic English from grade 9 through grade 12 without ever reading a book. Content that required a book, I looked up summarized details online to make my book report. In-class reading content, they more or less had kid to kid reading the book to the rest of the class, and I only ever had to do that once, involving a short story of someone being stranded on an island that ate themselves. I never even learned the notes and things that English teachers mark down when you send in an essay, until much later. No idea what a pilcrow was throughout high school. AMA whatever ya like from me. English was a weird place in high school. I dropped out in grade 12 and got my GED 2 years later, but the short time that I did grade 12 academic English, it was more like Art class than it was English.

- Tosh 2014

Last edited by gold stinger; 01-29-2020 at 12:03 PM..
gold stinger is offline   Reply With Quote