read any good books lately?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • All_That_Chaz
    Supreme Dictator For Life
    • Apr 2004
    • 5874

    #46
    Re: read any good books lately?

    While waiting for planes all weekend to and from Sprite's place I read a short book by Somerset Maugham, The Moon and Sixpence.

    It was nice enough. It was based on the life of Paul Gauguin, the painter. It was short, only like 160 pages, but makes for a pleasant weekend read. It was an interesting perspective to be in. I mean this guy was just kind of a total jerk to everyone and he couldn't really paint all that well. But by the end of the novel you see his genius. It's kind of like a biography of some famous actor written by someone who went to middle school with him when and he was a pompous untalented kid just like everyone else.

    I'd recommend it.
    Back to "Back to Earth"
    Originally posted by FoJaR
    dammit chaz
    Originally posted by FoJaR
    god dammit chaz
    Originally posted by MalReynolds
    I bet when you live in a glass house, the temptation to throw stones is magnified strictly because you're not supposed to.

    Comment

    • Bricktastic
      FFR Player
      • Aug 2008
      • 10

      #47
      Re: read any good books lately?

      I just finished reading Fight Club, it's like any book much more amazing than the movie and I highly suggest reading it if you like the movie. Even if you don't, you'll like the book.

      I'm gonna probably get mixed remarks on this but I am starting to read the Halo series of books. They are honestly really good so far. The guy who wrote it was a writer way before he wrote them. He also works with Bungie, so, it's accurate too.

      I could ramble on about good books for ages, but I'll just stick with the most recent. XD

      Comment

      • Ika
        FFR Player
        • Aug 2008
        • 33

        #48
        Re: read any good books lately?

        I just finished with Eclipse. -loved it-

        "If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, it's yours. If it doesn't, it never was."

        Comment

        • I like it
          Housekeeper
          FFR Simfile Author
          • Jan 2007
          • 2123

          #49
          Re: read any good books lately?

          Code orange

          Comment

          • faynt
            FFR Player
            • Oct 2005
            • 242

            #50
            Re: read any good books lately?

            Originally posted by Bricktastic
            I'm gonna probably get mixed remarks on this but I am starting to read the Halo series of books. They are honestly really good so far.
            I enjoyed that series alot =D

            Right now Im reading "The Years of Rice and Salt" by Kim Stanley Robinson.

            Its a long read and has some dry spots, but the idea behind it is pretty fascinating. It follows a handful of characters as they are reincarnated throughout an alternate history time line in which Western society was wiped out by a plague. =p

            Tier points: 459
            AAA's: 87 (lol)

            Comment

            • blackbuterfly451
              FFR Player
              • Mar 2005
              • 107

              #51
              Re: read any good books lately?

              On the 18 hour flight to Japan one of the books I read was "Lolita" by Vladmir Nabokov. I would strongly suggest this book to, well.. not everyone. You'd have to have a mature mindset to take the book seriously, but it was an amazing book; one of my favorites.

              Comment

              • TheRapingDragon
                A car crash mind
                • Aug 2005
                • 9788

                #52
                Re: read any good books lately?

                Finished The Dice Man today. Read the last 120 or so pages. Definitely still recommend it.

                I've managed to amass a bit of a pile too which is nice. Let's see what I have to read:

                Stephen King (as Richard Bachman) - Blaze
                James Herbert - Once... and The Secret of Crickley Hall
                Karin Slaughter - Kisscut

                Comment

                • Relambrien
                  FFR Player
                  • Dec 2006
                  • 1644

                  #53
                  Re: read any good books lately?

                  Since it just finished today, I'll recommend Ghost of the Revolution by G.V. Temple aka FishFishRevolution. The FFR references make the already-awesome story even better.

                  I don't know how long it would be in a physical book form, but it took me about 6 hours to read, I think, which equates to about 200-250 pages if I'm gauging my reading speed correctly.

                  Comment

                  Working...