need help with book

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Xx{Midnight}xX
    FFR Player
    • Aug 2007
    • 8548

    #16
    Re: need help with book

    Originally posted by chuckey
    suggestions on quotes and paragraph placement would be nice.
    I might not be the best here but i don't see anything like this:

    Jason said, "Blah blah blah." or somthing like that with the few sentences i read.

    Originally posted by LazyShadow
    Wow O.o...People are Dicks huh? O.O
    Yes.

    Comment

    • lord_carbo
      FFR Player
      • Dec 2004
      • 6222

      #17
      Re: need help with book

      From what I know and see and assume, most of you lack the literary knowledge to be able to effectively criticize this. Only mead and Shasta's opinions count.

      Greatest advice I could ever give you: buy a style guide. Either The Elements of Style or On Writing Well.

      Originally posted by LazyShadow
      Wow O.o...People are Dicks huh? O.O
      He's posting bad prose on a forum for everyone to see. He wants "help." Saying, "lol gud jawb," is not help.

      Originally posted by chuckey
      thank god this was from a crappy 6th grade project. i got a B though.
      I got an A+ on a creative writing in 6th grade. I wrote it 30 minutes before school started. Six pages long. Another time, I had my writing used in one of those example packets for state exams (what to write, what not to write) and from there I found out that I got a 6 out of 6. Again, 6th grade.

      And it all sucks.

      B's in 6th grade English are repugnant in hindsight.

      However, the flow is snappy and fast. Maybe almost too fast.
      If you write well, this is not necessarily a bad thing. Useless words detract from those that count. Worse still, assuming the reader cannot fill in the blanks, whether in creative description or practical application, is an insult to everyone unwitting enough to read something you have written.

      Basically, make every word tell. Always.
      Last edited by lord_carbo; 01-25-2008, 07:38 PM.
      last.fm

      Comment

      Working...