The Tin Cowboy

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • MalReynolds
    CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
    • Sep 2003
    • 6571

    #31
    Re: The Tin Cowboy

    We stepped inside and I watched her slight frame disappear into the central chamber. I quickly followed, but by the time I was off the ladder, she was already at the bottom.

    “Wait, did you write the article about Marlene? I read one in the archives.”

    She nodded. “It’s always been a pet case of mine. Even if I can’t find anything new about it, I come out here at least once a year, around the time she died, to commemorate the loss of a great life – and the birth of a wonderful mystery.”

    “Gosh, and I was starting to think you were sentimental,” I said, making my way down the stairs. “Here, you want to meet my – my acquaintance, Dylan?”

    “He’s here?”

    I nodded. “Yeah. He decided to sleep on the mattress downstairs.”

    “That’s odd,” she muttered under her breath. “Are you sure he’s still here?”

    “Well,” I started down the stairs to the cabin, “Pretty sure. I don’t think he’d –“ I was going to say ‘ditch me,’ but when I looked in the cabin and found the bed empty, I choked on my words. “He was down here last night.”

    “Is he not there now?”

    “No.”

    “Maybe the Black Ghost got him,” Josephine said from behind me, brushing my neck. Chill bumps rose on my arm and I turned, smiling, despite the situation.

    “Oh, shut up. He’s got to be around here somewhere.” The stair well was narrow and I barely had enough room to squeeze by Josephine, but somehow we made full contact. It was pleasantly awkward, and she followed me up the stairs.

    “So, where do you think he is?”

    “I don’t know. Maybe he went back to the grove, or went to go tell Wesley something. I don’t know.”

    “Maybe he left you here,” she chided playfully behind me as I stepped out the front door, down the rock steps, draping my shirt over my head.

    “Wouldn’t be the first time,” I sighed.

    As we walked through the field, I noticed that most of the flowers that had been in full bloom the night before had since died off, leaving nothing but frail stems and dried out petals on the ground. They crunched like dead leaves under our feet as we made our way to the grove, which I could see clean through in the sunlight. It had seemed so all encompassing the night before, and now it looked like it took up less space than half of a football field.

    “Here, let’s split up. You check the left side of the woods, I’ll check the right,” I offered.

    “Okay,” Josephine said. “But I don’t think we’ll find anything.”

    “You sound confident.”

    “Women’s intuition,” she said, breaking to the left.

    As with the flowers, the mushrooms that had been puffing out the white fog were now dead, although not quite in the same state. They seemed to have hardened almost to the point of petrifaction in the time between then and now. I kicked one and it barely broke at the base, but still managed to hurt my foot, before it toppled over. It looked more like stone than a mushroom, like the same artist that had smattered the trees over the landscape had taken all the mushrooms and replaced them with small statuettes.

    I walked along the right side, what I assumed was the easterly side, judging by the position of the sun, close to the ocean. I was more elevated in the forest than I thought, and the drop off at the side seemed most treacherous. The ambience was gone – I walked in silence, occasionally stopping and listening for Josephine’s footsteps across the grove, but I could never hear them.

    However, we both emerged from the grove at the same time, stepping out into the sunlight. She was a red dot in the distance that grew larger as I approached.

    “Any luck?”

    “No. I told you I wasn’t going to find anything,” she said, smiling and brushing the hair out of her face.

    “Maybe Wesley is still here,” I turned towards the south side of the Island and began a small jog. Josephine managed to keep up, and when we reached the beach, started laughing. The beach, of course, was empty.

    “I’m not going to lie to you, Tim, this seems like it sucks.”

    “No kidding. Could I get a ride back with you?”

    “Sure. If you’re keen on staying here a few more days.”

    “What?”

    “I am sentimental. I hold a vigil, and then I scour the Island looking for anything I might have missed in the years since the ‘suicide’ occurred. And then I’m picked up on Tuesday.”

    “That’s strange.”

    “Compared to everyone else,” she gestured off the shore, in the direction of mainland, which was visible in the distance, “Sure. But to me, I’m just sentimental.”

    Westing looked so different from the shore of Banana Island. The buildings looked regal in the distance, and despite knowing the state of affairs on the shore, I couldn’t help but feel some kind of swelling pride in the city. The buildings were tall, uniform, exact – they were like some work of forgotten art. Even as the city tapered off to each side, it did so in a uniform fashion, like a graph that has a slight gradient.

    “That place,” Josephine said, touching my shoulder, “That place is nothing but greed.”

    “Westing?”

    “Yes. Nothing good ever came from that place, and any good that was brought was only met with hardship. The Rebirth led to the Riots, the Riots led to the downfall of the children’s education, which gave rise to faux-political agendas and lobbyists, which leads to decrepit buildings. Nothing good ever came from Westing and if you try to bring any good to it, you’ll be met with nothing but adversity.”

    “That’s a cynical view of it.”

    “That’s how it is. Westing isn’t a city. Westing isn’t a college. Westing is greed personified. Why do you think they don’t have any more teachers at The Kinder? The pay would be all right. But everyone that has a chance gets out of there when they can.”

    “And the one teacher that stays behind?”

    “You’d have to ask her.”

    “I don’t want to ask her. Why do you think she stays behind?”

    “For the money. For the fame. The sole teacher in an entire city, charged with educating the undeserving mass of children that the spawn of that place put forth… That’s some good publicity right there.”

    “That’s a very cynical view of it.”

    “Okay, Tim, then I want you to prove me wrong.”

    “Come again?”

    She turned and looked at the city. “If it’s not a bad place, if good can come from it, if it’s not just a breeding ground for insecurity, violence, and hate, prove it to me.”

    “What? How will I know where to find you, once I have evidence?”

    “Simple. I’ll be here, on the Island. Maybe at the light house, maybe in the forest – not so scary during the day, is it – or maybe on the beach waiting for you. I’ll be here all week, but after that you’ll have to track me down.”

    “I’ll try my best,” I said, offering a half smile. I wasn’t pleased with having a mission of any kind, much less one given by an acquaintance of under two hours.

    I sighed and sat down the beach, looking out over the waves. From this distance, it didn’t look like too bad of a swim. The cold water would be good for my muscles, too, which were still in agony after the row out. It couldn’t be more than two miles to get back to shore. My alternative was waiting for Dylan to show up again – and my other alternative was waiting for Josephine’s boat next week.

    “I wouldn’t think about swimming if I were you,” she said, looking down at me.

    “Why not?”

    “The ocean is a deadly place, mon frere. It takes lives indiscriminately, whether they’re obstinately good or bad, all it takes is one miss-stroke and you’re gone. And then how will you prove to me that Westing isn’t a cess?”

    I sighed. “Well how am I going to get back at all, much less to prove something to you?”

    “That’s for you to figure out, dear,” she said, extending her arm and helping me to my feet. In the sun, her eyes shone like pieces of Sol itself stolen from the sky. She leaned forward very slowly and kissed me on the cheek before turning.

    “I have to get back to the light house, but you’ll come back and see me, won’t you?”

    “Of course,” I said, thinking to myself, ‘I won’t have much of a choice, given my circumstances. I might have to live with you.’

    I pulled off my over-shirt and tossed it on the sand, turning back to the ocean. I tested the water with my hand – it was cold, but not as cold as it had been the night before. But how quickly things can change once a body is submerged. I got less than fifty feet out before my blue lips chattering together told me it was time to turn around.

    The wind picking up did little to help my situation as I sat on the beach, trying to dry. Desperate for a place to dry without wind interference, I headed back towards the northern tip of the Island.

    Before I could reach the grove, the shadow moved out from between the trees. The darkness around the figure dissolved as soon as it stepped into the sun, and I realized that it was not a shadow in and of itself, but a man so inclined to stand in the shadows, that standing in the sun looked uncomfortable. He had a brown coat of the trench variety wrapped around his body, pulled up to his face, but I could see his eyes. He was staring at me, and I could do nothing but shiver.

    The man approached me and continued to stare in my eyes, still covering his face. After a few seconds, he let out a satisfied grunt and moved away.

    “Wait! Who are you?”

    He turned back around. “Go away, kid.”

    “Go where? Do I look like I have a boat?”

    The man sighed, his coat heaving. “No.”

    “Do you have a boat?”

    He sighed again. “Yes.”

    “Then can I come with you?”

    “And just where do you think it is I’m going?”

    “Sir, I have no idea. I have no idea what-so-ever, but wherever it is, it has to be better than this Island right now.”

    “And what if I told you,” he turned, lowering the coat from his face. He couldn’t have been more than five years older than me, but his voice had the sound of age. “That I was going to Hell. What then, would you come with me then, into the gates of Hell?”

    “Only if it was warmer than this Island, sir.”

    He cracked a smile. “I’m going to Westing. Stop calling me Sir. My name’s Ollie Haines.”

    I couldn’t help but smile at his name. It was as if everyone in or around Westing was required to have an odd first name, or an odd last name. Feldspar, Ohm, Haines, Robert. It was a breeding ground for oddity.

    “Thank you, Sir. Thank you very much.”

    -

    His boat had been tethered to the side of the Island that Josephine had searched, obscured in a cove. I asked him if he had been to the Island the night before, and he laughed, before confirming that he had.

    “Coming here to vigil for Marlene,” I asked.

    “No. I don’t do vigils for dead hookers.”

    “Then why were you there?”

    “Official police business,” he said smiling and pulling the rip-cord from the motor on the boat.

    “Police?”

    He nodded.

    “What kind of police business do you have on a dead island like that?”

    “That, son, is for me to know. Besides, if I told you, I’d have to kill you.”

    “Really?”

    “No,” he burst out laughing. His laugh was louder than the motor backfiring and the sound of a wrench hitting the on-board. His laugh was louder than the sound of the motor starting, and louder than the sound of the boat breaking the waves as we headed back to the shores of Westing.
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."

    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor


    My new novel:

    Maledictions: The Offering.

    Now in Paperback!

    Comment

    • MalReynolds
      CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
      • Sep 2003
      • 6571

      #32
      Re: The Tin Cowboy

      The boat bounced up and down over the choppy surface of the water and I found myself holding onto the side of the boat to prevent myself from flying out, due to lack of restraints. Ollie was facing the font, knee propped up in front of him, dead pan look on his face as we jumped over wave after wave. When the boat would hit the water, he would grimace slightly before his face returned to the stone wall posture.

      We were about half a mile down from the outcropping of rocks that Dylan and I had found the ferryman. Ollie slowly ran the boat up onto the sand.

      “What would you have done if I hadn’t been out there, kid?”

      “Probably frozen to death.” I was still shaking, my arms wrapped around myself.

      “Why didn’t you bring a jacket or something?”

      I thought of my jacket, crumpeled up in the light house, on the floor, next to Dylan’s towel and sighed.

      “I did, but I left it behind.”

      “We can go back if you want,” Ollie offered, smiling congenially.

      “No, it’s no big.”

      “Your call, kid.”

      Ollie’s eyes looked like they had seen too much. Despite the fact that he couldn’t have been more than six years older than me, his voice was aged and his face drooped. His coat was open, and I had half expected to see an actual police uniform underneath, but that had never really been the way around here. The cops didn’t act like cops, this cop acted like a cop but didn’t dress like a cop, teachers were in it for fame. Everything was backwards.

      He was wearing a blue sun t-shirt that was tucked into some khakis. When he stood, the wind caught his coat, and I could see the outline of a pistol beneath his shirt.

      “Are you really a cop?”

      “You want the truth?”

      “Always.”

      “Yes,” he said, reaching into his back pocket and removing his wallet. He flipped it open to a badge, which glinted in the sun, before flipping it back and shoving it back in his pocket with one hand motion.

      “Looks like I owe you one, Officer Haines.”

      “Kid, don’t call me ‘Officer.’ And don’t worry about it. What I did out there was nothing. The way I take favors – the real way favors should be taken, is when someone does something out of the ordinary. You could have made it back if you had a boat, and you would have given me a ride back had I been stuck. No harm, no foul, no favor.”

      “Thank you anyways.”

      “No problem, kid.”

      I stood on the beach and stared at him for a second, and he stared back, unblinking. His eyes were dark, and after a few seconds, they began darting around like he was looking for something.

      “Kid, you gotta scram. I have police business that I need to attend to.”

      “Yeah, I should get going,” I said.

      Ollie turned to walk down the beach. He jogged for a few steps before looking back at me and running between two buildings on the board walk. I heard someone cry out, “Wait,” or something to that effect, and the back of Ollie’s coat disappeared around the corner – with that, he was gone.

      The cold air stung my lungs as I sighed and turned, heading back west, in the direction of The Kinder. It had been incredible luck to find someone not only with a boat, but with a motor boat, and on top of it – an officer of the law.

      Josephine Robert, reporter esquire, woman extraordinaire. I felt guilty immediately about being kissed on the cheek by such a fantastical woman, almost as if I was betraying Liza. But I didn’t think I had done anything wrong in the least, at least because I had not put forth any of the moves. Josephine, it seemed, knew how to get the best of me, knew exactly what I wanted and what I was thinking. It was also luck running into her at the Island.

      With this turn of events, it was not a far jump in logic for me to think that my luck might finally be turning around. Of course, nothing gold can stay and all that good stuff, so I shouldn’t have been surprised when the well of my luck started running south again.

      I reached Main Street and began to run down towards Westing. The sun was making its way down, and although it wasn’t terribly late, it was growing colder by the minute. I didn’t have any time to waste if I wanted to get inside before I got severe hypothermia. In fifteen minutes, I reckon the temperature dropped to at least twenty degrees, and by that time, I was sweating lightly and could see the Westing Dorms in the distance. I ran inside and was smacked in the face with a wave of heat that directly contradicted how my body was feeling at the very second, and I could do nothing but succumb to the chills as I showed my guest pass to Tinsley and walked towards the showers.

      I stood underneath a hot shower for fifteen minutes before it automatically cut off, before moving down to the next stall and repeating the process. I did this all with clothes on, not because the shower was gross or because I was being prudish, but because I couldn’t bear to remove my arms from my sides.

      After spending an hour in alternating showers and watching various people enter, stare at me and exit, I almost felt back to status quo. I walked down to the Guest Dorm and let myself in. There were a few people scattered around the room, but when I entered, I must have been wearing a look on my face that said, “Get the hell out,” because within a minute, they had all gotten the hell out.

      I moved over to the left bed and pulled my bag out, removing a change of clothes. I couldn’t feel the new set on my body, but I was sure they were there simply by looking at them. I reached out and tried to touch the bed, but I still couldn’t feel much. It was like I was walking around in an extra set of skin.

      The group that had vacated the area to let me in were all standing around outside the room, staring at each other or at the ground or whatever made them comfortable. As soon as I shut the door leading to the main hall, there was a mad dash to get back into the Guest Dorm.

      I trundled down the hall, stopping at Dylan’s door, knocking.

      No answer.

      I moved towards the stairwell and began to slowly climb. I had to actively pick up my feet and drop them, before reaching the Rec Hall landing. I opened the door, and saw the back of his head. He was addressing a small group on one of the sofas, and I could see their eyes widen as I stepped inside.

      George in particular looked afraid.

      “… And all it took was an extra thirty bucks to get back here,” Dylan said, smiling. “I’ll go back out for him tomorrow and make up some excuse, but that ought to,” Dylan paused when he saw everyone staring.

      “Ought to what, Dylan?”

      Dylan turned and his eyes opened wide. I must have been wearing a look on my face that said, “I’m going to punch you, you asshole,” because I punched him in the face. He dropped back onto the wooden table, and the legs splayed in every direction. It broke straight down the middle, and the books that had been carefully stacked slid down the incline onto his stomach. He was trying to say something, but the books caught his words. He was going to say something else, but by the time he had composed himself, I had picked up one of the books and thrown it against his chest.

      When I was satisfied that he was down, I let my fist unclench just enough to drag him up and sock him in the stomach once more for good measure.

      Tyler and Sam were seated on the sofa, staring at me. Sam had a look of shock on her face, and Tyler had a look of admiration.

      “Bout damn time you did that,” he said, standing and moving over to me. “He was telling that story like it was the time he won the Super Bowl or something. I was getting ready to come up and get you.”

      I was still shaking. “Thanks.”

      “It’s alright,” he said. “Calm down.”

      “I’m not shaking because I’m angry,” I managed through chattering teeth. “I’m shaking because I tried to swim back.”

      Sam let out an audible gasp. “Why would you try to do that?”

      “Because I was stranded on a god forsaken Island with no way of escape, that’s why.”

      Dylan was on his stomach trying to crawl away. I picked up another book and pegged him squarely in the back with it and he stopped moving.

      “How did you get back,” George asked, pushing his glasses up.

      I debated telling them about the cop, but decided against it. He had wanted to keep his presence on the Island low key and I didn’t want to ruin that.

      “There was a boat in a cove on the side of the Island, but it was so full of holes I spent half the time bailing water out, and it sunk in the bay before I could reach shore.”

      “Come on,” Tyler said. He put his hand on my shoulder and we stepped over Dylan, who was trying to moan something in his defense. With Sam in tow, we made our way up one floor, down an identical hallway to Tyler’s room.

      All it took was one look at the posters on the wall for me to figure out that Tyler roomed with George. There were posters for video games, movies based on video games, and a DVD rack full of old CD-Rom games. And in the corner, a space heater.

      “Sit in front of that. Sam, get him a blanket.”

      I sat down and Sam draped a blanket over my shoulders. My teeth chattered as Tyler turned the heater on, and I was gradually warmed. I thought back to the shower and how it had made me feel more normal, but that had been nothing. I was so far gone that even a little bit of normalcy had felt so much better than how cold I was – but I was still near hypothermic.

      I nodded off in front of the space heater, not caring if I caught fire or not.

      -

      I woke up when Sam started shaking me. They were making the Night Scan announcement, and as cozy as I was, even in an extenuating circumstance, they wouldn’t change the rules of the game for me. It was either the Guest Dorm or the street.

      I thanked Tyler for his hospitality and offered to walk Sam back to her dorm, but she insisted that I get sleep. She walked me down to the guest dorm and punched the code in for me so I could keep the blanket around my shoulders.

      As I turned to wish her a good night, all I could see was her silhouette. She looked like Mother Feldspar as the door shut, and I smiled to myself.

      I moved over to two of the beds, which were strangely vacant, and pulled the blankets from them. I moved over to my corner and slid against the wall, piling as much fabric as I could over my body, folding the blankets twice and three times before I could finally get comfortable.

      As my body began to sweat lightly, I fell asleep.

      I left the room the next morning at an odd hour, drenched in sweat and feeling overly hot. It wasn’t uncomfortable in the least – in fact, it was so much better in stark contrast to how I had felt the night before.

      When I got outside the room, and walked into the main hall, I saw Tyler talking excitedly to Sam and Liza. He was making rapid hand gestures, and mimicked the throwing of the book to stop Dylan from crawling. Liza was smiling and had her hands cupped over her face in laughter, and when Tyler saw me, he put his hand out to signify that I was there.

      Liza turned around and at a full run crashed into my body, wrapping her arms around my neck. “I’m so glad you’re safe,” she said, whispering in my ear.

      “And you beat the crap out of Dylan. Good show,” she said, pulling her arms back and resting her hands on my shoulder. My hands were on the small of her back, and I couldn’t help but smile at her smile. Our eyes locked, and her smile slowly degenerated into a steadfast gaze. I could feel myself moving in, I could feel my eyes close, and I could feel Tyler stepping beside us and clapping me on the back.

      “Well, that killed the moment,” I said, turning to Tyler.

      “It happens,” he said, grinning.

      Liza laughed, stepped up, and kissed me on the cheek. “That’s a place-holder,” she said, smiling, her lips moving back for one more in the exact same place Josephine had kissed me.

      “That’s swell,” I said, sliding my arms from her back and resting my elbow on her shoulder.

      “So, tell him the good news, Tyler.”

      “What good news?”

      “Oh, stop acting like you don’t know.”

      Tyler was putting up a horrible front. He was still grinning, from ear to ear, and now he was blushing.

      “All right, Tim, how comfortable are you with illegal activities?”

      -

      The four of us had taken a seat in the Rec Hall, and Tyler was nursing a cup of cocoa while he relished the story.

      “So, my Civics professor, Mr. Boris, he goes on and on about stuff that doesn’t matter, you know? He started talking about Civic Law, and all that good stuff, and pulled up a list of things that had been outlawed around here since the Riots. You know, you can’t own fire-arms, you can’t have a party of more than forty people, that kind of thing. No alcohol on Sunday, if you’d believe it, although that might just be an old law that they never bothered to repeal.

      “And then he started talking about these carnivals he used to go to as a kid, and how he was disgusted to find that they were outlawed too after the Riots.”
      "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."

      "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor


      My new novel:

      Maledictions: The Offering.

      Now in Paperback!

      Comment

      • MalReynolds
        CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
        • Sep 2003
        • 6571

        #33
        Re: The Tin Cowboy

        Tigers, games, attractions things like that. Generally, a good time, state sponsored. But then state started losing sponsoring for things like that, or maybe they were just buckling to popular demand, but the truth of it is, when you got that many people together in that kind of an environment, other people began to get nervous.

        “There was violence at carnivals after a while. Regular people were scared of the people who went to carnivals, and tried shutting them down by force. Fear was the only thing that kept them going, trying to close the doors and the gates or whatever. And to be honest, I don’t even think they knew what they were afraid of. And then it became popular to dislike carnivals, to even carry a hatred for them, circuses, any kind of event like that with free-flowing imagination or fancy.

        “After about a year or so, the local government finally put its foot down and banned carnivals and circuses. Probably got a bunch of money from lobbyists to do so, padded their pockets nicely.

        “This, I think,” Tyler paused for dramatic effect, “was the beginning of the death of imagination. Of free will – or determinism, what have you – and the start of something mundane.”

        “And to think,” I said, “I could be paying out the nose to go to college, and all I need to do is hang out in the Rec Hall after lectures.”

        Liza cracked a smile. “Well, Tyler hasn’t gotten to the point yet.”

        “Brevity is the soul of wit,” he said. “So, my Civics professor keeps going on about the list of things they’ve outlawed and how when he was a kid, all he ever wanted to do was be a ring-master or a master of ceremonies at a circus. Of course, this law dashed his hopes against the rocks, so he became a teacher trying to spite the system or something. He talks about how he misses the sights, the smells, and everything – he gave a really moving and impassioned speech, most of which I’ve stolen to tell you. It really moved me. So, I went to talk to him after class while he was trying to wind down, and he kept trying to blow me off like I wasn’t his favorite student or something.”

        “Mr. Boris hates you, Tyler,” Sam said, giving him a playful shove.

        “That’s beside the point. I started asking him what’s got him so uppity, why he’s heading for the door so fast, and that’s when I just throw out the first thing that’s in my head. ‘I liked carnivals too, before they were banned.’ And that got him to stop dead in his tracks. He almost dropped his brief case. Mr. Boris, honest to God, really loved those things. They were his child hood.

        “He turned to me and he’s got tears in his eyes, and for a second I thought he was going to hug me, but instead he walks right past me to his desk and pulls out a tiny little brochure, hands it to me, and storms out of the lecture hall.

        “At this point, I’m confused beyond all reason, right? I mean, what was I supposed to make of the random behavior of a Civics professor? And then I look down, in my hand, and I see that someone had dropped in his office a small flyer about a traveling carnival. One that’s been going around for ten years, starting with when the law was passed, operating outside of the normalcy. A renegade carnival.

        “That’s what got him worked up, I thought. But no, not quite. I mean, I’m sure mentioning a carnival to him wouldn’t make him all misty in the eyes, but then I saw the number to call on the flyer. I called it, and they asked for a code word, which was scribbled on the back, and I gave it to them, and they gave me a location. The renegade carnival,” Tyler said, smiling, “Is just five miles outside the city limits. Nestled in the grove of the Westing woods, just outside of that burned out stretch of land where they tried to build all those factories.

        “So now I propose a question, ladies and gentlemen. Class, we can cut without problem. Our professors don’t care. Time is on our side, for we are the youth. We’re young, we’re spry, we have it. The question I ask is simple.

        “Would anyone like to go to the carnival?”

        I gave the most unenthusiastic, “Hell yeah,” I could muster.

        “Cool. Alright, everyone, go get some stuff. Liza, grab water bottles for everyone – It’s going to be a long walk. I’m going to go with Sam and see if we can’t scrounge some money. Tim, go get George. He’s tired of being left out of events all the time.”

        I nodded, got up slowly and headed upstairs. I made my way down the hall and knocked on the door to Tyler’s room.

        “Who is it?”

        “Tim”

        The door clicked open and I saw George dash back to his bed, sitting down and picking up the video game controller. He didn’t even look up when I stepped inside. I watched the TV for a few seconds, utterly confused by what I was seeing.

        “What is this?”

        “It’s part of that game I was telling you about. This part is just a side story to a much bigger picture, you know? And the story is kind of silly – It’s about a cursed cowboy made out of tin that has to collect gold bricks and give them to a gypsy fortune teller so he can get his memory back.”

        I didn’t take my eyes off of the screen. I watched the character, which was literally a cowboy made out of what looked like tin foil, dash over a large gold brick, which hovered over its head briefly before disappearing.

        “You have to get all the gold bricks if you want the best ending in the game. It’s a pain to find most of them, too, because this guy is so small. But hey, whatever you can do to get your memory back, right?”

        That question felt less like a rhetorical and more like a direct inquiry into my state of affairs. But George didn’t know any better. He was just plugging away at that stupid, noisy video game.

        “You want to play, Tim?” He offered the controller over.

        “I have better things to do than try and get my memory back,” I said, my face flushing.

        “Like what?” George asked, looking up at me.

        “Oh, right. There’s a renegade carnival outside of town and Tyler, Sam, Liza and myself are going. We were wondering if you’d want to go out with us?”

        “How far outside of town?”

        “Tyler says five miles, so wear some comfy shoes.”

        “Tim,” George frowned, “Do I look like I can even walk five miles? Much less five back? That’d be too intense for me, don’t you think?”

        “Okay, here’s the deal George.” The more I watched him sit there, the more I wanted him to get up, to come out with us. If he sat there, there was an excellent chance that he would once again wind doing nothing but wishing he had gone somewhere. “You go with us, walk the five down, and on the way back up, as soon as we hit civilization again, I’ll call a cab and we can ride back into Westing like it was a cheap prom night or something.”

        “How can you afford a cab if you’re staying in the Guest Dorm?”

        “I never said I didn’t have money.”

        “There are apartments renting out up and down the strip.”

        “That would imply that I plan on staying here.”

        “You’re telling me you don’t?”

        I sighed. “Come on, George. Stop stalling. Are you coming with us or not?”

        “Sure,” he said, sliding off of the bed. “Lemme just grab my walking shoes.”

        I stepped out of the room and leaned against the door frame. Maybe if I was lucky, just maybe, there would go gold bricks at the carnival for me to collect.

        -

        Dylan had tried to stop me on the way out. He had a small cut on his forehead, but otherwise I wouldn’t even have known I beat the crap out of him the night before.

        “Hey, man, I want to –“

        “Shut up, Dylan.”

        “No, listen I want to –“

        “Dylan.”

        “Apologize.”

        “Screw off, buddy.”

        “It was just a prank!”

        “Stranding someone on an island two miles off shore after making them row the entire way out there with no possible means of return with the forethought to come back two days later and pick them up is a prank? That’s a prank, Dylan? I’d hate to see who you’d kill for a practical joke.”

        “When you say it like that, it doesn’t sound as funny.”

        “That’s because it’s not funny. It wasn’t funny. You’re just a jealous inglorious bastard. You don’t know what you want. Go back to Clarice, you’re bugging me.”

        “Dude, chill.”

        “If you say another word, I’m sure I can find another table to break.”

        Dylan slid back to the wall, putting his hands up. His eyes did look remorseful, but that could have been because I had finally gotten the upper hand on him. He moved along the wall, not taking his eyes off of me, and disappeared back into his room.

        I turned and left the school, opting to stand outside and wait for George rather than risk talking to Dylan again.

        Sorry only means something if there’s meaning behind it. You can mindlessly apologize until you’re blue in the face, but it won’t mean anything to the recipient. And then, who knows, maybe they’ll want to hit you.

        -

        It took George ten minutes to get his shoes on, during which Liza, Tyler and Sam had made their way to the front of the dorm. I told them my idea about the cab, and they all seemed very enthused by the idea.

        Liza for some reason had changed clothes into a sun dress with yellow flowers on it. It looked like something she would wear to a church rather than to a carnival, but that was the rub – it was cathartic. It was like we were going to worship something antiquated, part of a past that wasn’t even allowed to be remembered anymore. I felt very under dressed standing next to Liza.

        George was wearing big black combat boots. They looked down right silly on him, mainly because he had his jeans tucked into them. When he stepped outside, Tyler pulled a small piece of paper out of his back pocket and motioned for us to go across the street, to head due east according to the ocean.

        We were walking down the gradient of the city graph. It took about fifteen minutes before there were no more buildings and fifteen more after that until the houses started to thin out. Westing looked like an oasis behind us, in the middle of a flat antique desert. A bastion where you could go to get your future on if you were craving it. The grass in the first field we crossed was over-grown, but the second field was ridiculous. The grass came up over our heads and we walked with out hands on each others shoulders so we wouldn’t get lost.

        I began to question where we were going. George was behind me, his hand was sweating a print into my back, and Tyler seemed to be just heading in a straight line path. When we were finished crossing the second field, he point out something to our right.

        “The factories.”

        There were seven or eight buildings that I could see, each gray with age and looking like they were about to fall apart.

        “Those were condemned,” he said, “But the funding was pulled.”

        “Of course it was. The funding is always pulled on condemned buildings around here,” I responded.

        “Well, you count eight of them? There were fifteen just last week. These things are toppling over. Someone undercut the construction. It’s a good thing the factories never took off, the way the buildings are falling.”

        Liza sighed. “Captain History,” she said, turning back to look at me, smiling. I felt bad having my hand, which too was beginning to sweat, pressed against her back. I tried to take my hand off, but it was like she knew what I was going to do, and put her free hand overtop mine to keep it there.

        The fields gave way, after about a mile, to a set of woods. I half expected them to be coated with glowing mushrooms or statues, but there was nothing but dead leaves on the dirty ground. Twigs were snapping with every step we took, leaves were breaking under foot. The smell was that of nature’s death, the respite that comes to the Earth once a year.

        “Wait,” Tyler said, stopping us.

        George, who was falling more and more behind with every step, let out a sigh and plopped himself on the ground. “I say – we take – a rest – before I – pass out,” he said. Tyler tossed him a water bottle.

        “Now, be quiet,” he said.

        It took a few minutes for George’s breathing to regulate again.

        “Now, listen.”

        At first, I didn’t hear anything. Nothing at all, until –

        There were bells in the distance. The sound of happy music, and some yelling. I heard so little else that soon, the noise was promenading around in my ears like a parade. It was so far away, but so loud.

        “Can you all hear that,” Tyler said?

        “Sounds like a renegade carnival to me,” I laughed.

        “Well, we still need to sit and wait a few seconds,” George said. “I don’t want my body to over heat or anything. That could be tragic.”

        It took all four of us to get George back on his feet. I volunteered to stay back while they went on ahead and keep pace with George, to make sure that he didn’t pass out or have a heart attack, or lose his nerve.

        “I shouldn’t have come here,” he said, frowning.

        “Why not?”

        “Because I don’t fit in a place like this. The only reason Tyler lets me hang out with him is because we’re roommates and he doesn’t want me complaining.”

        “That’s not true.”

        “Oh, how do you know? You came out of nowhere and now you’re better friends with everyone than I am, and I’ve known them for a full year longer.”

        “Look, it’s nothing. I’m just a likeable person.”

        “They think I’m weird.”

        “Why?”

        “Because I want to be a teacher.”
        "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."

        "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor


        My new novel:

        Maledictions: The Offering.

        Now in Paperback!

        Comment

        • ShastaTwist
          FFR Veteran
          • Sep 2004
          • 599

          #34
          Re: The Tin Cowboy

          Omgz, you want to be a teacher?

          You fxcking freak.

          Comment

          • MalReynolds
            CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
            • Sep 2003
            • 6571

            #35
            Re: The Tin Cowboy

            “Why on earth would you want to be a teacher? It’s not exactly the most noble profession anymore.”

            “That’s kind of why. I wanted to bring some levity – get a job at The Kinder. That’s the only reason I even transferred to Westing.”

            “You transferred here? To be a teacher?”

            He paused and pushed up his glasses. “Well, yeah. I read about The Kinder. Kids in cages – you saw them. That’s no way to educate.”

            “And you’re trying to make a difference.”

            “That’s another reason I don’t really feel like I fit in. Tyler is majoring in History, Liza is Journalism, Sam is Theology and Dylan even has Psyche. I’m an English major, trying to get a job at a burned out school.”

            “That’s really impressive. I’m impressed.”

            “Thanks.”

            We had reached the end of the woods, and started down the side of the hill, but from our perch, we could see the carnival in the valley below. There were five big red and white tents that looked like the face of a die, with gold flags poking out of the top. Near the back, there was a low-key Ferris Wheel that could only have been three stories tall. Poles stuck out of the ground at odd intervals with speakers, each pole having a series of loose wire leading into a tent. On the far left side, there were several stands open, and I could see children running around.

            It was odd to see children like that. Moving freely, like they should. Did they get any education, or did they travel with the renegade carnival? I doubted that any sane child’s parent would let them come all the way out here to such an extravaganza.

            Sam, Liza and Tyler were waiting at the bottom of the hill for George and me. They were waving us down like we were the slowest people on Earth. When we hit the bottom, Liza put her arm around my side and we began to walk towards the rows of kiosks. The one closest to us was a basketball stand, although the hoop was makeshift. The net seemed to be made out of some kind of hardened grass – the only thing that really fit was the basketball, and that seemed odd and under inflated.

            Past that was a shooting gallery that extended the length of three kiosks. There were people walking back and forth under each row of targets, holding the tongue depressors that were attached to the targets, which looked oddly like puppets I had seen the children in the actual classroom making in The Kinder. There were three people firing small pellets, which usually fell short and tended to hit the gallery operators, but they seemed rather used to it. When they reached one end of the kiosk, they turned around and walked the ducks and cans and horses and cowboys back to the other side. As I was watching, I noticed that they did mind when they were shot – they flinched, but they were wearing multiple layers of clothing to protect themselves, and plexi-glass goggles.

            There was a rope-bridge game, where you had to climb on your hands and knees up a vertical ladder made of rope that was attached to both ends of the playing field by a rotational axis. Liza and I just stared as people would reach the middle, the kiosk operator would let go, and the bridge would start wavering with their weight and body movement. We didn’t see a single person make it all the way across, and we couldn’t look when George decided to try his hand at it.

            We all heard the fall, though. And the follow up requisite “I’m all right!”

            Further along, past the rope bridge scam, were some food kiosks. Boiling oil in cauldrons gave way to funnel cake, minus the powdered sugar but with double the strawberries, and hot dogs. The smell of popcorn wafted through the air, although the kiosk was closed. And the last kiosk was a drink kiosk. By the time we had reached the end of the first pass through, we were very thirsty from the walk down. I opted to purchase everyone a bottle of water before we continued inside, to the first tent.

            The first tents flaps were pinned open, making the doorway a pentagon. We stepped through and were met with the smell of animal droppings, before our eyes adjusted to the thin light. In several small cages were white rabbits and black rabbits, brown rabbits and grey rabbits – seemingly one of every color that nature could provide. Further back were aquariums, with fish I had never seen before in them. All of this lined a single pathway, which dead-ended at a large, metal cage.

            The cage, of course, housed a lethargic tiger. Its front paw was poking out of the cage, and its head was against the bars. When Liza and I walked up, it didn’t seem to perk or take notice of us. Liza reached out slowly – I tried to grab her to pull her back, but she moved out of the way – and touched the tiger’s paw. It awoke immediately from its drowse, pulling it paw back, but upon seeing Liza, it settled down again, deciding that she was not a threat. It even went so far as to stick its paw back out for Liza to pet – and as she did, the tiger began to nuzzle the bars of the cage.

            Naturally, when I tried to pet it, the creature growled and retracted itself completely to the back of the cage, staring at me with fire in its eyes.

            “Well, that’s something,” I muttered, embarrassed that the animal hadn’t taken a liking to me. It had gone from a fat, lazy tiger back to its evolutionary roots as a killer. I could feel its eyes burning in the back of my neck as Liza and I left the tent.

            Tyler and Sam were waiting outside for us.

            “Why didn’t you go inside,” Liza asked.

            “Please, we can smell it fine from out here,” Sam said, grimacing. I had to laugh at the face she was making – I could see the pug lines from her father creasing her face as she furrowed her brow.

            “Where’s George?” I asked.

            “He went back to shoot some of the game operators with that dinky pellet gun. I think he’s trying to win something for that girl he has his eye on. You know, Tyler, the one in his Lit class?”

            “The fat one?”

            “No, no, the other one.”

            “Oh! The acne girl!” Tyler said, clapping his hands. “They’d be so cute together!”

            Sam and Tyler began whispering something back and forth to each other. Liza tugged at my arm, pulling me away from them, but there was no need. They were a world gone.

            The upper left tent, I thought, might house something that would be interesting, but it was the ‘freak show.’ I wasn’t comfortable going inside, and since there was no smell coming from the inside, I knew I could count on a full report from Sam. Nothing exorcizes superiority like a freak show.

            The middle tent had a sign hanging from the outside – it was going to come down for a fire works display in the evening, an event to close the carnival. After the display, they had to pack it up and leave – the fireworks would naturally draw the attention of everyone within hearing distance of an explosion. So pretty much all of Westing.

            As we walked to the bottom right tent, the crowd of people grew larger. We had to maneuver more and more to get to our destination – this one was a very popular spot. There was a line formed outside the tent, which was very much smaller than the rest. I walked around to the front, to see what the attraction was, and my heart skipped a beat.

            “Fortune Teller.”

            What an odd coincidence. There had been no bricks to collect, but here in front of me was one of the most ironic things.

            Immediately, I took a place in line. And stood there. Liza didn’t understand what my fixation was, and stood outside the rope kiosk, holding my hand as the line moved. I could only spare occasional glances over – we were far enough apart that I could see all of her, and that made me feel so very jumbled on the inside. Her sun dress was blowing in the wind and she tried her hardest with her free hand to keep her hair out of her eyes. Every time I looked over, she would smile and look away, but it was okay – I was doing it too.

            In a few minutes, the line had dwindled. There were still many people behind me, but there was no one left in front. I saw the last man walk out the side exit and I squeezed Liza’s hand as I heard the voice call from inside, “Enter.”

            The voice was strong and I was shocked to find it belonged to an old woman. She was hunched over a small table wearing a cloak that obscured most of her figure and face. The table had a red and white checkered cloth covering it like something out of an Italian restaurant, but the light was dim enough to make even that look mystic.

            “Sit,” she said, motioning. “And pay.”

            I handed over twenty dollars.

            “Very well. Do you have any gold bricks for me?”

            My heart stopped in my throat.

            “How did you know about that?”

            “One of two ways – I could be making a logical guess. My business has gone up ever since that stupid video game came out and most people come in here cracking jokes, or I’m the real deal. What do you want to believe?”

            I wanted to believe that she was the real deal, that she could see the future and the past.

            “You want to believe, don’t you?”

            I nodded.

            “Well, let me take a look.”

            She hovered her hands over her highly traditional crystal ball and began humming something. I closed my eyes and felt regret for paying her any money. The humming increased, and then stopped.

            “That’s funny…” She said, before hovering her hands again and humming.

            “No, that’s not right.” She had removed the hood from over her face. Her hair was thin and white, only growing in certain areas, but it was long and down over her face. She was missing most of her teeth and her skin was wrinkled so that she no longer looked human. Instead of eyes, she had two black beads set far back in her skull, and the one tooth I saw was jagged, and protruded from her top lip.

            “What’s not right?”

            “Tell me, tell me son, what do you want to know?”

            “About my past. About my future. Why does anyone come to these things? What do they want to know?”

            “About your past… I sense much unhappiness. But it is all very, very cloudy. I do not understand what is going on – normally, I see with such clarity. All I can see is unhappiness that is almost unparalleled with the living. Are you alive?”

            “Yes.”

            “And your future… It is…” She stopped. She stared at me, and held her hand out. “Take your money back.”

            “What?”

            “Take it back. I cannot read your future.”

            “You can’t or you won’t?”

            “I cannot. It is far too cloudy. I do not know what is going on. Your past is set in stone, but you – you’re the embodiment of free will. Anything that can happen to you might happen to you, anything that cannot can. I do not understand how your path could be so different from the rest, but you – your future is not set in stone.

            “You are your own fate.”

            “What’s that supposed to mean?”

            “Tell everyone outside that I’m closed.”

            “What?”

            “I’ll see no one else today. I must leave. You must leave, now.”

            “What are you talking about? Who are you?”

            She stood up, knocking her ball from the table. It fell to the ground, shattering into a thousand pieces, the water inside spilling out all over the floor.

            “I am just an old fool. Now go. Leave, now.”

            “Okay, I can take a hint,” I said, turning and walking out of the front exit. The line of people had increased in the time I had been inside, and may were staring in the direction of the sound of shattered glass.

            “She’s not seeing any more people today,” I said, raising my hands over my head.

            There were murmurs of dissent from the back.

            “She’s not. I guess I got lucky.”

            A group of three people brushed past me and threw the flaps of the tent open. I turned and looked inside. There was no water on the ground, and no glass. There was no table for that matter, and no Italian restaurant checker board cloth. No chairs and the sunlight was streaming in. Most importantly, there was no woman.
            "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."

            "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor


            My new novel:

            Maledictions: The Offering.

            Now in Paperback!

            Comment

            • FoJaR
              The Worst
              • Nov 2005
              • 2816

              #36
              Re: The Tin Cowboy

              oooooh

              Comment

              • MalReynolds
                CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
                • Sep 2003
                • 6571

                #37
                Re: The Tin Cowboy

                I had a tough time trying to explain to Liza why exactly I had been so dead set on seeing the fortune teller, but she seemed to accept “Natural curiosity,” and my puppy-dog eyes after the third time. We passed by George and Tyler a few times while we walked up and down Kiosk Lane. I tried my hand at the rifle range only to fail miserably and crack one of the gallery runners goggles. I offered to pay him, but he gave a shrug that said, ‘It’s part of the job,’ and then shooed me out of the way for the next customer.

                The carnival did a modest and admirable job of recreating something that was taboo in modern society. Even though they lacked the funds, the know how, or the operational skills they still managed to put together something that was worth looking at. It was a rag-tag team of self expression in the middle of a crater, surrounded by forest and dead, crumbling factories.

                Liza and I eventually made our way to the Ferris Wheel at the far end of the fair ground. There was a small line, but the rotation on the machine was fast enough so that standing in line wasn’t a big problem. The Wheel was only three stories tall, at the most, I assume so attention wasn’t drawn to the area, but it was tall enough to let you see just over the tops of the trees that surrounded the far side of the carnival.

                The seats were small – not cramped, I don’t think you can be cramped when you’re sitting next to someone you care about – but comfortable. They had stuffed the cushions doubly and there was no lap belt. The ride operator was a friendly looking dwarf who had tattoos covering the entirety of his arms, and a beard so long and bushy that he could have been naked and I wouldn’t even have known. He kept an eye on the ride and stopped it when a car would get to the peak – and there were only six cars.

                We rose up, stopping every minute or so, getting a glimpse of the different levels of the trees. We could see over the carnival before we could see over the foliage, but all that provided was a glance of the hills that surrounded the land and the obscure shadows of the factories in the distance. I strained my eyes and could barley make out Westing in the distance.

                Our car gently rocked when we reached the top position. I stared out to my right, over the trees, into the untouched countryside. There were overgrown fields, spots of forest, and dirt paths carved out by people that didn’t own automobiles. It could have extended forever – there was no sign of any kind of civilization in that direction.

                There was a flock of birds that took off from the field beside the trees, and I pointed them out to Liza. But she wouldn’t look up – she refused to break eye contact with me. I leaned in, slowly – perhaps too slowly – when there was a start.

                The car we were in was rocking back and forth, and the entire wheel was moving on the track haphazardly. I looked down for the ride operator, but he was gone. There were screams – no longer playful, but fearful – that permeated the air. The people on the ground were running and walking like they were before, only now they were like rats trapped in a maze.

                At first, I could hear nothing but the screams. And then I heard the steady chop of blade set some sixteen feet wide. The heavy clunk-clunk-clunk sound they made as they cut the air and the helicopter approached the carnival.

                There were police soldiers on foot, coming from the forest next to the Ferris Wheel. They were chasing people down, tackling them, and shoving their heads into red bags. Children were knocked to the ground without regard before being dragged, screaming back into the woods. The force knocked down the kiosks slowly, deliberately, before dumping out the contents of canteens and setting the kiosks alight. The ride operators tried to run – amid the chaos, I swore I heard gun shots.

                “Liza,” I said, gripping her arm, “We have to get out of here.”

                She nodded. I slid down, out of the seat, gripping the support rail in front of me and trying to balance my feet on another. I held my hand out for Liza, and then we were both in the web of the Wheel, inside the support beams and structure. I moved down slowly, carefully so I didn’t miss-step, and turned to give Liza a hand. Her shoes weren’t conducive to any kind of climbing, so I had to hold out my hand until I was sure she was secure, before climbing down another rung.

                When we reached the center of the wheel, someone bumped the lever before running off. Liza let out a scream as the wheel began to rotate, and the people on the ride were scrambling to get off. The couple that reached the top slid out of their seats, falling to the ground, only stopping when they would hit a support. Their bodies hit the ground with a sickening thud, and I was forced to look away.

                I had to double my speed, which meant sacrificing sure footing to get Liza down off of the death trap. For every one support I would climb down, we would rise half of another. It was difficult – not only were my hands beginning to sweat, but my legs were shaking, trying to keep myself steady, and we were soon gripping bars that we had gripped before, the sweat accumulating.

                “We have to get away from the center,” I called to Liza.

                I swung out, going hand over hand, until I was on the outside, and I turned. Liza was shaking her head “No,” that she couldn’t make it. I climbed up to keep level with her and swung back in, and we slowly walked to the outside of the ring. It was lowering us to the ground and the police soldiers were closing in.

                “Jump, Liza!”

                When I saw that she wouldn’t, I grabbed her hand and pulled her off. We free fell for twenty feet. I hit the ground and rolled on top of Liza, pulling her up to her feet.

                I could feel hands on my back pulling me away from her. And I saw the black gloves of the police wrap around her shoulders. Her eyes went dull as the crimson bag came down over her head.

                “Liza! LIZA!”

                But she was gone. The hands were still gripping at me, and I shook as a bag came down over my head.

                No, I wasn’t going to let it end like this.

                I turned, my vision obscured by a bright crimson, and swung out. My fist connected with something, and the pressure on the inside of the bag was released. I pulled it off of my head and stared down two officers – I hoped I was staring them down. They were wearing black ski masks that covered their eyes. There was one officer on the ground, clutching the side of his head, presumably where I had struck him.

                One of them reached for their gun and the other reached for another bag. I dropped to the ground and shoved the bag I had in hand over the downed cop, pulling the drawstring tight. I pulled him up and took the side arm from him, aiming it directly at the officer, who took a step back.

                The gun flew from my hand when the tent beside me erupted in a fireball. The force of the explosion knocked me and the three officers to the ground. They were grabbing at their guns, which had spilled out of their hands haphazardly on the ground. I rose to my feet, quickly, kicking the officers to keep them down and kicking their guns away from them, into the woods.

                And then I ran. Straight down through the middle of the carnival, dodging the screaming throngs of people, trying to catch any sight I could of Liza. There were too many people, too many officers running around to get a bead on anything – everything was moving so quickly, there were so many crimson bags.

                I saw George standing near the woods like a small child, helpless and utterly lost. And then he was bagged and dragged, kicking and thrashing into the woods. He could have been screaming, but my ears were ringing, on fire after the explosion, a high pitched shriek reverberating through my ears.

                I couldn’t stop running. I went into the woods, running up the hill, hearing the clout of their boots behind me. It could have been the ones I held up with the gun, it might not have been, they were all interchangeable. I ran between trees, kicking up leaves whenever I could to try and obscure their view, but it was fruitless. They were faster than I was, and they were gaining. I grabbed a branch from a tree, which snapped off. I threw it to the ground behind me, hoping to impede their travel. I heard one of them curse and fall.

                I smiled to myself, continuing up the slope until I was in the over-grown field, cutting my own path through the head-high grass. There were no branches to grab now, no leaves to kick up, only me and my legs to keep me from whatever fate lay on the other side of the crimson bag.

                The grass immediately stopped, and so did I. In front of me was a chain link fence and the rubble of a collapsed building. There were eight more that I could count on the other side, but I didn’t have time to process the information. I was too busy scaling the fence and dropping down on the other side, onto the pile of rubble that extended twenty feet into the air. I was gaining altitude, running towards the standing buildings as fast as I could, when I heard the shot ring out behind me. Dust kicked up at my feet and a splinter of concrete grazed my cheek.

                Without thinking, I dove face first at the peak of the rubble mountain and began a wild, painful slide down the other side. My chest ached as it was dragged over pieces of jagged concrete, and I tried rolling on my side. That just made me lose any control that I thought I had, and bounced, head over heels until I was at the bottom.

                I was in too much pain to move.

                But gunshots are a perfect motivator. There were four cops on top of the concrete mountain staring down at me, all four with their weapons drawn. They were saying something, but it was lost to the gunshots, and soon to the wind as I picked myself up and ran.

                I passed one of the decrepit buildings and I heard the soldiers sliding down behind me. The doors were all boarded up, the windows had tables in front of them.

                And then I saw her.

                The small gypsy fortune teller was standing in the door way of one of the factories. I turned to look behind me, to see if they had gained much more, but they were having as much trouble as I was with the descent. When I turned back to say something to the fortune teller, she was gone. I wasn’t surprised.

                Instead, I kept my head down and barreled into the building. The windows were broken out on all sides, and whoever had made this their home had done their best to barricade them. Sunlight was streaming through pressurized wood boards that were half heartedly nailed up into the window frames. I passed door after door of offices that were never used, of bathrooms with plumbing that didn’t quite work, until I reached the back door. Or was it the front?

                It didn’t matter. It was locked. I could hear the trump of them behind me, their breathing ragged through their ski masks. I broke left, running towards the factory floor as fast as I could, emerging in a non-functioning pressing room. There were conveyer belts everywhere gathering dust, metal presses hanging from the ceiling. The buildings main office was set up in the corner, no full windows, no desks inside either, and the stairwell leading into it had broken in the middle.

                I vaulted over the first conveyer belt, ducking under a metal press as the officers entered the room behind me. One of them fired, barely missing me, but I kept going. I slid under the next, and rolled over the third. In their armor and issued outfits, they were having a touch time navigating the hurdles the room provided, giving me ample time to slow down and time my jumps. I hit the other wall and ran along to a closed door, crashing through onto the stairs behind. Without stopping for a beat, I mounted the stairs, two at a time.
                "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."

                "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor


                My new novel:

                Maledictions: The Offering.

                Now in Paperback!

                Comment

                • FoJaR
                  The Worst
                  • Nov 2005
                  • 2816

                  #38
                  Re: The Tin Cowboy

                  man it's time for a new page.

                  Comment

                  • FoJaR
                    The Worst
                    • Nov 2005
                    • 2816

                    #39
                    Re: The Tin Cowboy

                    gonna post until we hit a new page

                    Comment

                    • FoJaR
                      The Worst
                      • Nov 2005
                      • 2816

                      #40
                      Re: The Tin Cowboy

                      chaccarone

                      Comment

                      • FoJaR
                        The Worst
                        • Nov 2005
                        • 2816

                        #41
                        Re: The Tin Cowboy

                        half and half maybe some WHOOPS

                        Comment

                        • FoJaR
                          The Worst
                          • Nov 2005
                          • 2816

                          #42
                          Re: The Tin Cowboy

                          smellington welles

                          Comment

                          • FoJaR
                            The Worst
                            • Nov 2005
                            • 2816

                            #43
                            Re: The Tin Cowboy

                            ray smuckles

                            Comment

                            • FoJaR
                              The Worst
                              • Nov 2005
                              • 2816

                              #44
                              Re: The Tin Cowboy

                              bensington butters

                              Comment

                              • FoJaR
                                The Worst
                                • Nov 2005
                                • 2816

                                #45
                                Re: The Tin Cowboy

                                roast beef

                                Comment

                                Working...