Favourite Authors and why.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • nickadeemus
    The spice must flow.
    • Aug 2003
    • 807

    #16
    <3 Kurt Vonnegut. His writing usually flows with how I like to think when I read, and he's crazy funny.
    Nice.

    Comment

    • blahblah18
      FFR Player
      • Aug 2004
      • 1662

      #17
      Even though i've only read catch-22, its so good and so well written that I can still say Joseph Heller has to be up there.
      JK Rowling is not a good writer.

      Zelazny is a good writer.

      Tom Wolfe is a good writer.

      Joyce, Oscar Wilde... those are who you shoudl read
      but for now... postCount++

      Comment

      • purplepopcorn
        FFR Player
        • Jun 2005
        • 602

        #18
        Douglas Adams. A genius in his own right but still an insane bastard, questioning around him, and still being funny at the same time. My absolute favorite book is The Salmon of Doubt, a collection of his writings before he died.

        Farenheight 451 is an example of how censorship could get out of control. Good stuff.

        One of the most powerful books out there is The Selfish Gene by Richard Hawkins. It explains and absolutely dissects all religions, leaving a void of science and atheism. If you aren't ready to fully embrace the science of our creation and existence, you shouldn't read it.

        Comment

        • whiteflame
          FFR Player
          • Sep 2005
          • 378

          #19
          Mal. Why you ask? Well I like his writing style. [ps you didn't say published author]

          Comment

          • mead1
            Cerebellumberjack
            FFR Simfile Author
            • Aug 2003
            • 3960

            #20
            Stephen King

            Neil Gaiman

            Whoever wrote A Clockwork Orange

            Comment

            • ayanepuck
              FFR Player
              • May 2004
              • 110

              #21
              Originally posted by FoJaR
              my favorite author/writer is easily hunter s. thompson.

              frank herbert comes in second, and third goes to donald barthelme, who writes some mean short stories.
              I can't believe I forgot about him. He was amazing. I would disagree though, with Jewpin and whoever else said this....I like J.K. Rowling's writing style along with the Harry Potter story. She is very detailed and inventive. How creative does someone have to be to come up with a story like Harry Potter? It is an amazing series....and I can't wait until she writes something else....but that is just me. I am a nerd.

              And I also have to disagree about Stephen King. IT and Carrie and possibly even Stand by Me were great books and deserve him recognition over the Dark Tower series. I couldn't even get through the first one. Bored me to tears.

              And Anthony Burgess wrote A Clockwork Orange
              \"All the world is the birthday cake, so take a piece, but not too much.\"

              \"The Beatles saved the world from boredom.\"
              --George Harrison

              Comment

              • Mindfields
                Banned
                • Dec 2004
                • 1566

                #22
                I honestly think that Michael Shaara might be the best just for writing The Killer Angels. I haven't even finished reading it and I think it is wonderful.

                Comment

                • MonkeyFoo
                  FFR Veteran
                  • Sep 2004
                  • 397

                  #23
                  Hands down, Robert Hamburger. The most intellectual writing I've ever seen, you might have trouble getting through it.
                  How has it been 15 years

                  Comment

                  • FluorescentArmy
                    Forum User
                    • Nov 2005
                    • 1754

                    #24
                    My favorite author would have to be, Eoin Colfer. I just like the style of writing. There are occasional fragments but those fragments serve a purpose. They are there to make sure you get the point of what is happening. Oh, and by the way, Eoin Colfer wrote the Artemis Fowl series.

                    I also like the author of, "The Chariots of the Gods?"
                    I just completely agree with everything he says. It is like he knows how everything happens. I

                    I have some other ones, I gotta find them though..

                    Comment

                    • CypherToorima
                      Boss of all bosses
                      • Jul 2003
                      • 2452

                      #25
                      Out of everything said, I would have to disagree most with ayanepuck. I couldn't stand Kate Chopin's The Awakening. And "Story of an hour" (I think I'm thinking of the right one. A short story. I'm sure you know which one I'm talking about) was a pointless waste of time.

                      I loved (and am still loving) the Dark Tower Series. It took me awhile to get past the first third of The Gunslinger, but after that, I couldn't stop.

                      So put Stephen King up there with favorite authors (atleast with the Dark Tower Series, I haven't read many other books by King), along with J.K Rowling.

                      I also enjoyed Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 quite a bit.

                      Terry Brooks for the Shanara series.

                      And Mal for his short stories.
                      I'm a figantic gaggot

                      Comment

                      • dag12
                        FFR Simfile Author
                        FFR Simfile Author
                        • Dec 2004
                        • 468

                        #26
                        Charles Dickens... Don't know why I like him
                        Nancy Farmer... Great fantasy writer
                        T.A. Barron... Merlin Series are great
                        Ray Bradbury... For the Illustrated Man
                        J.D. Salinger... For Catcher in the Rye
                        Lewis Thomas... For The Medusa and the Snail
                        Harper Lee... For To Kill a Mockingbird
                        Michael Crichton... Great Scifi Writer
                        Isaac Asimov... Great Science Fiction Writer
                        and many others...

                        Comment

                        Working...