Powerlifting / Strength Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Wayward Vagabond
    Confirmed Heartbreaker
    FFR Simfile Author
    • Jul 2012
    • 5866

    #16
    Re: Powerlifting / Strength Thread

    I want to be stronger but not necessarily bigger aka not looking to have a v shaped body. What do

    Comment

    • Reach
      FFR Simfile Author
      FFR Simfile Author
      • Jun 2003
      • 7471

      #17
      Re: Powerlifting / Strength Thread

      Originally posted by Wayward Vagabond
      I want to be stronger but not necessarily bigger aka not looking to have a v shaped body. What do
      High frequency high volume training focused on the big 3 compounds almost exclusively. Benching and squatting 2-3 times a week I think is a good place to start, deadlifting 1-2 times.

      Accessories mostly to address weak points.

      Rep ranges aren't that important IMO. 5x5 for your bench and squat, and 1-2x5 for deadlift are fine for beginners. 8-12 rep sets though are also good styles of training.

      In the end it's mostly about getting lots of volume in terms of sets and reps in on your compounds. That will train your body to get stronger, especially if you're not interested in getting much bigger (which is possible. A lot of top olympic lifters barely look like they lift).

      You train basically the same if you want to get bigger, just more accessory work, and a lot more food.


      In terms of things to avoid, do not fall into the trap of maxing all of the time. i.e. do not regularly attempt to 1 rep max. It's a waste of time, leaves you more open to injury and does not make you stronger. You get stronger by doing high volume work submaximally.

      Additionally, never deadlift before you squat. Always the other way around if it's the same day.
      Last edited by Reach; 07-9-2015, 11:10 AM.

      Comment

      • Wayward Vagabond
        Confirmed Heartbreaker
        FFR Simfile Author
        • Jul 2012
        • 5866

        #18
        Re: Powerlifting / Strength Thread

        The personal trainer I had had me doing 3 sets of 15 reps for pretty much everything but squat. So should I just continue to do this or lower the reps a bit and raise the weight be more beneficial for what I want?

        Comment

        • Reach
          FFR Simfile Author
          FFR Simfile Author
          • Jun 2003
          • 7471

          #19
          Re: Powerlifting / Strength Thread

          Originally posted by Wayward Vagabond
          The personal trainer I had had me doing 3 sets of 15 reps for pretty much everything but squat. So should I just continue to do this or lower the reps a bit and raise the weight be more beneficial for what I want?
          If you want to get stronger, sets of 15 on a regular basis is excessive reps (though sets of 15 on occasion are good, too).

          Try switching to 5x5 or 4x8 (my personal favorite) and increase the weight a bit.

          Comment

          • Wayward Vagabond
            Confirmed Heartbreaker
            FFR Simfile Author
            • Jul 2012
            • 5866

            #20
            Re: Powerlifting / Strength Thread

            Alright will do

            Comment

            • NorthStrong
              FFR Player
              • Jun 2014
              • 102

              #21
              Re: Powerlifting / Strength Thread

              reach i think we will get along very well lol.
              SCWolf's chitty powerlifting friend

              Comment

              • NorthStrong
                FFR Player
                • Jun 2014
                • 102

                #22
                Re: Powerlifting / Strength Thread

                Competed today. Upset at how poorly the squats went after a great training cycle butwutcanudobrrrooo?



                overall fun.

                pulled sumo cuz i hurt the back of my knee and conventional was really hurting it.yolomethod.
                SCWolf's chitty powerlifting friend

                Comment

                • Reach
                  FFR Simfile Author
                  FFR Simfile Author
                  • Jun 2003
                  • 7471

                  #23
                  Re: Powerlifting / Strength Thread

                  Great lifts!

                  We have a pretty similar total.

                  Comment

                  • NorthStrong
                    FFR Player
                    • Jun 2014
                    • 102

                    #24
                    Re: Powerlifting / Strength Thread

                    Originally posted by Reach
                    Great lifts!

                    We have a pretty similar total.
                    Thanks Reach! Have you competed before? If not I'd definitely recommend it. It's an awesome experience, a whole lot different than lifting in a gym.
                    SCWolf's chitty powerlifting friend

                    Comment

                    • Reach
                      FFR Simfile Author
                      FFR Simfile Author
                      • Jun 2003
                      • 7471

                      #25
                      Re: Powerlifting / Strength Thread

                      Originally posted by NorthStrong
                      Thanks Reach! Have you competed before? If not I'd definitely recommend it. It's an awesome experience, a whole lot different than lifting in a gym.
                      Nope, never. I don't consider myself very strong for 3.5 years of training, even though I am pretty big muscle wise, and would be a bit embarrassed to compete.

                      My best lifts are about 275 b, 445 d and 385 s @ 189 lbs (currently cutting and 184.5 right now).

                      My squat took a real hit after pulling hip flexors on two occasions. Tight hips are kind of par for the course for my job. I've spent the last year building up flexibility to compensate, and everything is all healed up now so I can ATG heavy comfortably again, but it's going to take awhile to build up to 385+ again. I have big legs, I should be able to squat more tbh but it's tough with work.

                      Benching I'm just...not super great at. Don't have good leverage off the bottom. I can incline 225x6 to chest but for whatever reason my flat press isn't that much better.

                      I think it's the long arms, which makes sumo deadlift probably my best lift. 445 was pulled with me barely training deadlift ever. Ironically I hate deadlifting so I don't bother training it even though it's a good lift for me lmao.
                      Last edited by Reach; 07-12-2015, 10:58 AM.

                      Comment

                      • SCWolf
                        ༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
                        • Jun 2006
                        • 1662

                        #26
                        Re: Powerlifting / Strength Thread

                        Practicing wider grip on the bench. Working on elbow positioning. This should help with technique and eliminate dumb shit that may be holding back progression.

                        Comment

                        • NorthStrong
                          FFR Player
                          • Jun 2014
                          • 102

                          #27
                          Re: Powerlifting / Strength Thread

                          Originally posted by SCWolf
                          Practicing wider grip on the bench. Working on elbow positioning. This should help with technique and eliminate dumb shit that may be holding back progression.
                          Yeah I think the wide grip stuff will help you in a bunch of ways. I think you will get more out of them in every way if you do them paused as well.
                          SCWolf's chitty powerlifting friend

                          Comment

                          Working...