Help with trumpet?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • kommisar[os]
    Banned
    • Apr 2006
    • 4097

    #16
    Re: Help with trumpet?

    one thing that helps is getting a jazz mouth piece if you want to have fun with higher notes. i have a 14b4 and it helps quite a bit in the long run

    Comment

    • clarinet89
      FFR Player
      • Jan 2008
      • 899

      #17
      Re: Help with trumpet?

      Well, I'm not a trumpet player, but here is my two cents.

      Doing long tones is one of the best things you can do as a musician. Play a note as quietly as you can and as loundly as you can for as long as you can. Crencendo, decrescendo. When you play as long as you can on one note, it builds lung and diaphragm strength and using the dynamics lets you focus on keeping the note in tune and beautiful as long as you can. It's great.

      Work on scales every day. All kinds of scales. Major, minor, modes(helps a lot if you play a lot of jazz). Scales appear in music A LOT. Practicing them early and often saves a lot of future practice time and effort.


      Hope this helps!

      Questionable Content

      Comment

      • Awww_muffin
        FFR Player
        • Feb 2009
        • 38

        #18
        Re: Help with trumpet?

        Eh, I don't suggest getting a new mouth peice other than a standard one. You should build your embechure to the close 7c or 5c standards first. It will help you become fluent in alot of other pieces in the future.

        Plus your only playing for what like 3months and then you have to stop? xD

        Comment

        • csoup1414
          FFR Veteran
          • Jul 2006
          • 834

          #19
          Re: Help with trumpet?

          dang for me being a woodwind player...
          i cant play brass worth a hoot lol. but this helped my friend who needed help with high notes and some of it also could do with improving clarinet tone =]

          Comment

          • lord_carbo
            FFR Player
            • Dec 2004
            • 6222

            #20
            Re: Help with trumpet?

            Originally posted by kmay
            when i played i just hit the high notes by using my stomach. That is also what i was told to do by my chorus teacher, don't think its only your mouth that controls pitch. You also need to play the higher notes louder. It is much harder to hit high notes softly.
            Your chorus teacher told you to do that because that's exactly how you're supposed to sing-- through your abdomen. But that's not how you are supposed to play wind instruments.
            last.fm

            Comment

            • Awww_muffin
              FFR Player
              • Feb 2009
              • 38

              #21
              Re: Help with trumpet?

              lol so true x]

              Comment

              • kommisar[os]
                Banned
                • Apr 2006
                • 4097

                #22
                Re: Help with trumpet?

                Originally posted by clarinet89
                Well, I'm not a trumpet player, but here is my two cents.

                Doing long tones is one of the best things you can do as a musician. Play a note as quietly as you can and as loundly as you can for as long as you can. Crencendo, decrescendo. When you play as long as you can on one note, it builds lung and diaphragm strength and using the dynamics lets you focus on keeping the note in tune and beautiful as long as you can. It's great.

                Work on scales every day. All kinds of scales. Major, minor, modes(helps a lot if you play a lot of jazz). Scales appear in music A LOT. Practicing them early and often saves a lot of future practice time and effort.


                Hope this helps!
                pretty much this

                Comment

                • zhul4nder
                  FFR Player
                  • Jun 2006
                  • 231

                  #23
                  Re: Help with trumpet?

                  so on my quest for playing trumpet...

                  I realized that i'm playing off center. Not quite all the way too the side...but enough to be noticeable is that going to be a problem?

                  [url=http://www.narutoflow.com/character-quiz/]Take the Naruto Character

                  for brawlers: 2836-1905-4019
                  I don't know how well it'll work, but give me a add , or pm me so i can add you.

                  Comment

                  • Cyanite
                    SIT THE **** DOWN.
                    FFR Simfile Author
                    • Feb 2007
                    • 1174

                    #24
                    Re: Help with trumpet?

                    I don't play directly in the center.

                    Kind of off topic but I played with a jazz mouthpiece today for the first time.. I can't remember what kind it was exactly, but holy **** I loved it. I could sustain a G two octaves higher than high C. At least I think that's what the note was, it gets kind of hard to tell at that pitch.

                    To those of you recommending he use one... ehh, I don't know. It's extremely hard to control the upper register with those things, especially if you're used to a 3C like I am.


                    Originally posted by KgZ
                    oh yeah girls love it when I stick my massive arm in their mouth

                    Comment

                    Working...