Music: Yourself or Others?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • stargroup
    FFR Player
    • Jun 2007
    • 974

    #16
    Re: Music: Yourself or Others?

    time for my opinions hehe

    Personally, I choose not to make money off of my music, but I might make exceptions in order to cover small costs in the production of the music or whatever, etc. However, it's totally fine to make money off your music if you want. In the end, quality is determined by what you put out, not how much you make.

    Chances are, if you want to make music for a living, you're gonna need a constant supply of money. On the other hand, if you don't pick music as a career, then you probably don't have the time to make a lot of music. Anybody see the conflict here?

    I personally make music for myself, but more for others. When I see that something I did has made someone else in this world happier, I feel great. The reason I prefer not to make more "generic" music (you guys know what I'm talking about) is because then I'd feel kinda bad for shoving cheap crap into other people's brains. Even if they like it, it's at the cost of their mind. Not to say that there's anything bad about "generic" music, I just personally don't choose that direction. I'm also a hypocrite. I have purposely made a few dumps in my time.
    Last edited by stargroup; 07-31-2008, 05:41 AM.
    (´・ω・`)

    Comment

    • Doctor_Attitude
      FFR Player
      • Feb 2008
      • 47

      #17
      Re: Music: Yourself or Others?

      If you make money writing music, and write it for other people, you're still making it. Unless you're sampling like timbaland and ****, it's still going to have your personal touch on it if you're anything of an artist.

      Hell, most of my songs are entirely amorphous, with no true genre or definition. So I started making drumnbass and some more 4 on the floor dance tunes for live performance. Yeah I made them for the dance floor and not my general "I HEAR THIS IN MY HEAD AT NIGHT" reasons; but regardless I still might it.

      Art is art and creation is creation. Making money from your talent it INTELLIGENT. It doesn't in same way demean the art. ****, we live in a world driven by money, some amazing artists need that determination to push their music to it's limits anyway.

      This "when you make music for others and for money you're not making it for the right reasons" is stupid. There's no right reason to make anything. Never was. Music is simply not something you can be purist about.

      As far as KGZ about being a videogame composer, in that industry they'll give you a feel for what they want, but they'll still give a lot of lenience to the artist and what they want to do.

      Granted though, it's a question I've asked myself, whether to make it for myself or others. And even though I'm alright with making it for others from time to time, every great artist I've met here in Los Angeles has said they made it for themselves and don't care what others think. Granted my idea of great tends to me IDM and what not. But I've talked to Benn Jordan, Richard Divine, venetian snare, and even Jason Mraz. They all said the same thing, and they've all reached certain levels of success to look to in musicman land.

      Food for thought

      Chris

      Comment

      • psychopete
        Quite electrifying.
        • Jul 2005
        • 833

        #18
        Re: Music: Yourself or Others?

        Personally, while writing for myself feels more rewarding, if I have any hope of making money, I do need to accept that I'm writing music for others, not for myself. However, I still feel like even thought I would be limited in what I could do, I'd still sure as hell have fun composing what I need to compose.

        Comment

        • Doctor_Attitude
          FFR Player
          • Feb 2008
          • 47

          #19
          Re: Music: Yourself or Others?

          Originally posted by psychopete
          Personally, while writing for myself feels more rewarding, if I have any hope of making money, I do need to accept that I'm writing music for others, not for myself. However, I still feel like even thought I would be limited in what I could do, I'd still sure as hell have fun composing what I need to compose.
          Going out of your comfort zone for other people is fun

          Comment

          Working...