How do you guys compose?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Pyroshock
    ε=-dΦ/dt
    FFR Music Producer
    • Jul 2006
    • 1170

    #16
    Re: How do you guys compose?

    I don't think much emotion goes into my writing process, compared to the emotion in my recording process, but my writing would definitely fit my mood at the moment

    And I usually do percussion first, then chord progression (only for electronic stuff though)

    Comment

    • PlayTrumpet
      Lamingtons.
      • May 2007
      • 590

      #17
      Re: How do you guys compose?

      I don't think I compose traditionally. I hear exactly what I write/type, then I write it. Initially, I hear the melodies and they are written first. Chord progressions just come afterward. They're always there, but my melodies run and control them, so they come last.

      I don't write "beats" or music many FFR Music Producers are known for, I prefer a different set of genres. If I decided to write, what I may consider, a trance/hip-hip/dance/beat-like piece of music, I would start with the pulse, the base and the percussion.

      In the matter of emotion, it drives the moods and overall effects of my music. Everything else is creativity and sound likeness.
      HIGH-FIVING A MILLION ANGELS!
      sigpic

      Comment

      • purebloodtexan
        FFR Player
        • Oct 2006
        • 2845

        #18
        Re: How do you guys compose?

        Well, in terms of order, I usually start with either the melody or chords -- there seems to be no correlation with what comes first. From there, drums, bassline, then supporting instruments.


        Comment

        • sleeplessdragn
          ~Bang that beat Harder~
          FFR Simfile Author
          FFR Music Producer
          • Jan 2004
          • 2321

          #19
          Re: How do you guys compose?

          I start with melodies first and build from that, mainly because when I write I always hear the melodies in my head first. As far as the correlation between which starts first, I think if you start with a melody first you will have a very situation-specific song in the end, kind of like movies based off of certain screenplays. I think starting with progression first will give you a very emotion-specific song in the end, like movies that were made based off genre ideas.

          Comment

          • championanwar
            Ask Nuro! x3
            FFR Simfile Author
            FFR Music Producer
            • Jun 2004
            • 2588

            #20
            Re: How do you guys compose?

            To be honest, emotions only count for the first few notes... Im not really an emotional kind of person when it comes to music, i just improvise with my keybord, synths and everything..
            I just have to want to make music, no point in composing without inspiration XD

            Originally posted by aperson
            all of 65dos are dumb an noticable because their idea of 7/8 is 4/4 with one beat cut off the end
            aperson: yo shikari if u c thom yorke
            aperson: plz tell him 2 start usin consonants again
            Click Here

            Comment

            • lord_carbo
              FFR Player
              • Dec 2004
              • 6222

              #21
              Re: How do you guys compose?

              I often start with a rhythm. From there, I make either a chord progression or a melody. I seldom deviate from a V-I-V-I progression when I do that, so it's usually the melody.

              See, rhythms are very versatile. They can be reused again and again throughout the piece and in difference pieces you write. You know the rhythm for Beethoven's Fifth? He used that rhythm throughout many of his pieces. I noticed it when doing a score analysis for the Egmont Overture, except instead of having the notes go down, it went up. Here it is at about 2:48.

              A good rhythm is always the basis of a good melody and a good sequence. Often times, a good melody can write itself given the rhythm.

              It's also not much of a challenge to make a good rhythm.

              Often times I start with a chord progression, and build a melody and rhythm off that. Usually when I do this, though, the melody isn't very distinctive or special or whatever. But damn are the chord progressions great!

              It's actually very rare that I start with a melody that I know of right off the bat. But I composed about 2/3's of my currently greatest piece like that, so it's probably something I should start doing more.
              last.fm

              Comment

              Working...